Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by Wheels »

Definitely coming down to the 2 ND guys since they both made it the title game among the 5 finalists. That's just what this award has evolved into. Wouldn't Entenmann be the 1st goalie to win it? If so, I'm going to guess that's who wins it.

Right now in terms of the NCAA MOP, Wierman is the front-runner. Could be be the rare MOP not from the winning team? I think Brian "Doc" Dougherty is the one of the few to do that.

That's assuming Maryland loses tomorrow.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:52 am
DMac wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:43 am IMHO GKs need a separate award. The T Award is given to the player who is considered (by whomever) to be the top player in the land. You cannot play within' a circle 18' in diameter and be considered the top player in all of the land. Way too many phases of the game the GK doesn't participate in and way too many skills not needed to be a GK.
Completely disagree with this. A goalie should absolutely be considered. Entenmann is a stud and he has been his whole career. I’m sure Corrigan would let you know what he has meant as the leader of one of the best defenses in the country.
Yup, differing opinions. I clearly understand how valuable a good GK is to a team, might well be the difference between winning and losing but that doesn't make him the top player in the land. A GK could have a real good game and never break a sweat or run 30 yards. There's too much lacrosse they don't play to be considered the best in the game. Again, JMHO.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:51 am Definitely coming down to the 2 ND guys since they both made it the title game among the 5 finalists. That's just what this award has evolved into. Wouldn't Entenmann be the 1st goalie to win it? If so, I'm going to guess that's who wins it.

Right now in terms of the NCAA MOP, Wierman is the front-runner. Could be be the rare MOP not from the winning team? I think Brian "Doc" Dougherty is the one of the few to do that.

Scotty Rodgers in 2010 LOL
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

BigTurn wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:52 am
Wheels wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:51 am Definitely coming down to the 2 ND guys since they both made it the title game among the 5 finalists. That's just what this award has evolved into. Wouldn't Entenmann be the 1st goalie to win it? If so, I'm going to guess that's who wins it.

Rodgers won the Tewy? Well, I learn something new every day.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:57 am

Was referring to MOP. Scotty won it in the 2010 natty loss to Duke
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

BigTurn wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:01 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:57 am

Was referring to MOP. Scotty won it in the 2010 natty loss to Duke
Yes. You're right about one (against Duke). He and Doc...have there been others?
Finster

Post by Finster »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:35 am
Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:55 am
faircornell wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:15 pm With Entenmann at 67% and #51 with 5 points vs Denver, I think that it's a two player race right now. Shellenberger with 2 points against UMD might not be a strong enough outing.

For #1, I'm contrasting him with Rob Pannell in 2013... Cornell lost to Duke in the Semis, but Panell had a pretty big game.

And if ND loses Monday?
It is absurd that the award for the best player in D1 for the 2024 season - the entire season - will depend on which TEAM wins the natty (if true). After four months of lacrosse, every voter has seen more than enough games to determine the best player by now. It should not depend on whether Zapp shuts down Kavanaugh tomorrow or whether ND wins and Entemann has a good game. In fact, IMO, Lynch has been the key for ND this tournament (and last year too). Give an award for the best player in the country and another award for the tournament MVP. Conflating the two in some seasons makes no sense to me. Kavanaugh or Entemann or Zapp or Wierman for tournament MVP. I still think Brandau or Shelly deserve the Tewy.

I agree
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:08 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:15 pm With Entenmann at 67% and #51 with 5 points vs Denver, I think that it's a two player race right now. Shellenberger with 2 points against UMD might not be a strong enough outing.

For #1, I'm contrasting him with Rob Pannell in 2013... Cornell lost to Duke in the Semis, but Panell had a pretty big game.

And if ND loses Monday?
It is absurd that the award for the best player in D1 for the 2024 season - the entire season - will depend on which TEAM wins the natty (if true). After four months of lacrosse, every voter has seen more than enough games to determine the best player by now. It should not depend on whether Zapp shuts down Kavanaugh tomorrow or whether ND wins and Entemann has a good game. In fact, IMO, Lynch has been the key for ND this tournament (and last year too). Give an award for the best player in the country and another award for the tournament MVP. Conflating the two in some seasons makes no sense to me. Kavanaugh or Entemann or Zapp or Wierman for tournament MVP. I still think Brandau or Shelly deserve the Tewy.

I agree
PK’s to lose, although it may go to the Prince of Cookies and Cakes.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:15 pm

And if ND loses Monday?

I agree

DocBarrister
Travesty if cake man wins. He was not even the best goalie this season, let alone the best player.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

This is true.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:15 pm

And if ND loses Monday?

I agree

DocBarrister
Travesty if cake man wins. He was not even the best goalie this season, let alone the best player.
I hear ya … but the guy is the son of Bill “Come on … it’s really William” Entenmann (the company was founded by an earlier William Entenmann) and Liam went to Chaminade. The family sold the business in the late 1970s for $233 million, at a time when that was real money. I imagine that money 💰 pile has grown quite a bit in 45 years.

Bottom line … I’m sure Liam Entenmann has worked hard to accomplish all that he has … but the young man was born into some luck, too.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I still miss Entenmann's Sour Cream Chip and Nut Loaf.

http://www.staceysnacksonline.com/2020/ ... -loaf.html

Maybe Liam will bring it back if he (totally undeservedly) gets the Tewy ...

save_percentage_leaders.jpg
save_percentage_leaders.jpg (188.34 KiB) Viewed 523 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

And if ND loses Monday?

I agree
Agreed, but yesterday’s game makes it tough to go to Shelly.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:24 pm I still miss Entenmann's Sour Cream Chip and Nut Loaf.

Good stuff!

The Tewaaraton would look nice next to some of the extended family’s horse racing trophies.

🏆

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:54 pm

And if ND loses Monday?
I agree
Agreed, but yesterday’s game makes it tough to go to Shelly.

I hear you but man will it be tough for the committee to ignore this kid’s body of work. His winning shot against Hopkins might have put him over the edge.

I’m not in the camp of thinking any of the ND guys will win. Great team but I don’t see any individual winning.

For me, it’s Shellenberger or Brandau.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:24 pm I still miss Entenmann's Sour Cream Chip and Nut Loaf.

Rasberry cheese danish cake baby
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

And if ND loses Monday?
Fair point.... I guess it depends on the type of game... in 2009, Max Seibald won it when the Big Red lost the game with seconds to go.

But... I suppose if ND loses convincingly, Shellenberger could be back in contention.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 pm

Rasberry cheese danish cake baby
Excellent choice!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It's possible the 2 ND "split the vote" & someone else wins. Brandau prolly most deserving, despite not even making the playoffs, given Yale's injuries. Shellenberger lifetime achievement award. O'Neill a long shot I think, as a previous winner whose team underachieved* this year.

*Oh to be the fan of a team where making the quarters is underachieving!😉🤣
coda

Post by coda »

If the committee heavily factors in the tournament, Kavanaugh is the choice. He is the only candidate that has played at a high level in every game

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”