Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

Post by gymman1031 »

With Ryan in South Bend, the Irish have gone to levels they have never been before. Yes, he was clearly rock-solid at Navy beforehand. However, due to what he has done at Notre Dame, I would assume his stock has risen quite a bit. Will be interesting to see if he eventually becomes a head coach or decides that being a top assistant at a major program is the perfect job for him.

Ironically, John Tillman, who has a post on here dedicated to him as the best head coach in the game, is a former Navy assistant, too.

A lot of Navy people wish they had promoted Ryan from within back in 2019. However, as good as he was then, he is much more proven now.
The Orfling

Re: Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

Post by The Orfling »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:18 pm With Ryan in South Bend, the Irish have gone to levels they have never been before. Yes, he was clearly rock-solid at Navy beforehand. However, due to what he has done at Notre Dame, I would assume his stock has risen quite a bit. Will be interesting to see if he eventually becomes a head coach or decides that being a top assistant at a major program is the perfect job for him.

Ironically, John Tillman, who has a post on here dedicated to him as the best head coach in the game, is a former Navy assistant, too.

A lot of Navy people wish they had promoted Ryan from within back in 2019. However, as good as he was then, he is much more proven now.
Wellner is awesome. I wish he were doing his magic in New Haven! I hope he gets a quality head coaching gig very soon (and I was among those who thought he would have been a great option for Navy after Rick Sowell's departure).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Are we really going to have an abstract discussion on assistants?

Because the best at everything is obviously Lateef the Truthspeaker-here at the back end of this diddy at SXSW he makes the case hard.

If you can’t handle 3:45 just go to 2 min mark

https://youtu.be/ZWCxnX4LRCY?si=89WUaFECNUzqE1CK
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:22 pm Are we really going to have an abstract discussion on assistants?

Because the best at everything is obviously Lateef the Truthspeaker-here at the back end of this diddy at SXSW he makes the case hard.

Why not? People should never underestimate the importance of good assistant coaches.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

In addition, there have been plenty examples of programs not being the same after an assistant left.
coda

Post by coda »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:27 pm In addition, there have been plenty examples of programs not being the same after an assistant left.
ND has had defensive coaches come and go. So far, it has never affected the play on the field
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

This thread is too funny...I guess Corrigan is just so-so, thank goodness for his assistants :lol:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Certainly before last Memorial Day, his critics here were almost unchallenged.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

FMUBart wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:44 pm This thread is too funny...I guess Corrigan is just so-so, thank goodness for his assistants :lol:
What makes you think I believe that? So many legendary coaches in all sports have had top assistants in their respective sports. A program, no matter what, revolves first and foremost around the head oach.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

coda wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:36 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:27 pm In addition, there have been plenty examples of programs not being the same after an assistant left.
ND has had defensive coaches come and go. So far, it has never affected the play on the field
Yes, that is true. But we have seen it happen throughout the years at other programs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:22 pm Are we really going to have an abstract discussion on assistants?

Why not? People should never underestimate the importance of good assistant coaches.
A. It’s a guessing game. Some are great some are terrible HCs. Different job.

B. The answer is Lateef.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah it was Byrne a few years back
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:50 pm
Yeah it was Byrne a few years back
Which always makes me ask is if Corrigan who deliver like 2 decades of top 5 defenses or his assistants?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Corrigan's an offensive coach. Obviously he sets the tone as a coach; but the defenses are largely Byrne and Wellner's deal, and Corrigan deserves credit for continually hiring top notch defensive coordinators
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The ND defense operates on 4-5 major principles that are hammered into your skull from day 1. Corrigan delegates D to an assistant but he’s intimately familiar with the scheme. There have been no deviations since Byrne left.
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

The outside world may just focus on scheme etc, but to the players, its all in how it is delivered, the environment and relationship formed, and lastly......the players to perform. Recruit the right player, coaches always look great. In other words...scheme is only a part of it.
gymman1031

Notre Dame DC Ryan Wellner-Top Current Assistant Coach In The Game?

Post by gymman1031 »

At Navy, he proved a lot. But at Notre Dame, he has proven even more.
coda

Re: Notre Dame DC Ryan Wellner-Top Current Assistant Coach In The Game?

Post by coda »

A second post on this?
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

I give the nod to Bernhardt.

It’s Corrigan’s defense, Wellner is just maintaining what he and Bryne developed. I think the Wojcik addition has had more of an impact on the team with how the offense has evolved over the last three years.

What Bernhardt was able to do this year with all the personnel turnover they had was very very impressive.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Oops! My bad! Been a long weekend!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”