Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

D1 Mens Lacrosse
luxlaxbro

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 1:00 PM

Post by luxlaxbro »

Looking forward to watching this game on mute ..... Q / Carcaterra are just too much. Mark Dixon is a much better.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:51 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:10 pm
Finster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:12 pm The lack of respect to Coach Tillman, man.

He’s seen ND once already. That’s worth 4-5 goals.

This guy is not going to be out-coached Monday. Not by Corrigan.

Draftkings has ND by 3.

Faceoff will tell some of the story, but not all (assuming it’s close to 50/50 this time).

I think the game comes down to Entenmann versus McNaney.
I think Maryland could win, but it's still a tall order. Notre Dame is loaded with talent, has experience, has a great FOGO/goalie combination, and maybe the best extra man offense in memory. That's a lot to overcome. Wierman is playing great ball right now but was actually slightly below 50% (12 for 25) against Lynch earlier this season (the teams were exactly 50-50 overall); it's accordingly hard to imagine a big edge in faceoffs as was the case against UVA.

Things that will probably be the same last time:
  • Entenmann will be great;
  • Kavs will be great;
  • ND will be relentless on ground balls;
  • Faceoffs will be relatively even;
  • If Maryland is penalized ND will score (had three EMO goals last game).
Things that could be different:
  • McNaney is playing far better (was well under 50% in save percentage last time);
  • Maryland should clear significantly better (they cleared at 75% against ND before but looked great against UVA's ride today);
  • Maryland team D has rounded into form and is playing extremely well;
  • Maryland made some key changes on offense and is playing far better offensively.
I think the keys for Maryland will be possession (must clear well, must get at least 50% or more on faceoffs); avoiding penalties; and staying within a goal or two of ND the whole game so they can string together some sequences (defensive stop, score on the other end, Wierman win a faceoff) right at the end.
Colin Hagstrom took a good chunk of those face-offs. Lynch was 12 of 18.
That's a good point, and I clearly overstated the likelihood of faceoffs being 50/50. ND's Hagstrom was 1 for 8 when they played before, while Lynch was 66% on the day. I am sure Lynch will take every faceoff if he is healthy. However . . . I'm no faceoff technician, but Wierman is feeling it and playing extremely well right now, so I don't expect him to lose 2 to 1 to Lynch this time around. But he could; and if he does, it's hard to imagine Maryland being able to overcome the deficit in possessions.
Last edited by The Orfling on Sun May 26, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:39 am
BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:21 pm
BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:11 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:58 pm
BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:43 pm
Finster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:36 pm Who does Ajax shut off? Pat? Chris? Whoever he covers will disappear.

This is a GREAT championship. Lots of interesting things to think about.

Maryland won in ‘22. ND won in ‘23. Who wins this year?
Jared Bernhardt needs to make an appearance.

Let’s go!!!!!!
He wasn’t able to make any of them disappear in March…
Kavanaghs combined for 3 goals in March. McClane and Faison by comparison had 6 goals and 11 points. That's what killed the Terps, along with (in part due to the Kav's, but that wasn't anything against Zap) a glut of Maryland turnovers in the clearing game

Notre Dame was the better team that day, has been the best team this season, and likely will be the better team on Monday. But doubt it'll be because the Kavanaghs dominate Zaps and the Terps poles
Why cite other players’ points but only Pat’s goals? His contributions are more than just goals and, that day, he had 3 assists. He even had more CTs than Ajax.

He didn’t disappear.
I never said he disappeared. Those are your words, not mine
My guy. I was responding to Finster, who said that whoever Ajax covers will disappear.

You jumped in the middle. I responded to you, but also reiterated my initial point that, statistically, he didn't cause them to disappear the first time around, so it's far from a sure thing that it will happen Monday.
I think this is over-rated. Ajax can shut down a star, but the other 5 defenders need to do their job for that to happen. To simplify, Maryland dared Duke and UVA’s midfield to beat them. They couldn’t and Maryland was able to get away with minimal sliding and was able to stay with their match-ups. If ND midfield can force slides, they will dictate the match-ups. That will free up Pat from Ajax
Faison is fast for a Division I college football receiver. I suspect he could cause a little havoc.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Maryland has more than a fighter's chance. It would be an upset, but I don't think it would be as big of an upset as some here project. 1 month ago, maybe, but the team has gone into another gear.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Having watched the semis both winners has massive possession and fo advantages of FO and goalie are a wash as great as MD has played in the playoffs hard to see them matching up on offense.

Refs really swallowed their whistles yesterday too. Saw a lot that often gets called not called. Will that be the same tomorrow?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:20 pm Having watched the semis both winners has massive possession and fo advantages of FO and goalie are a wash as great as MD has played in the playoffs hard to see them matching up on offense.

Refs really swallowed their whistles yesterday too. Saw a lot that often gets called not called. Will that be the same tomorrow?
If the refs swallow the whistles that will probably help Maryland; although the Terps are not a big riding team and are thus not heavily penalized (vs. Notre Dame with an aggressive ride that results in more fouls) Notre Dame's EMO unit is so other-worldly that Terps really cannot afford man down situations other than maybe a few stray 30 second violations.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:20 pm Having watched the semis both winners has massive possession and fo advantages of FO and goalie are a wash as great as MD has played in the playoffs hard to see them matching up on offense.

Notre Dame oddly gets off to some slow starts. I think their usual possession advantage and depth helps them late in games.

Terps need a fast start, and then Tillman needs to keep the pedal floored the rest of the way. Can’t play too cautiously against ND and hope to win. That late ND surge will come.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:25 pm

If the refs swallow the whistles that will probably help Maryland; although the Terps are not a big riding team and are thus not heavily penalized (vs. Notre Dame with an aggressive ride that results in more fouls) Notre Dame's EMO unit is so other-worldly that Terps really cannot afford man down situations other than maybe a few stray 30 second violations.
The effectiveness of ND’s ride will be a big determinant of the game. If Maryland can handle ND’s ride, as the Terps handled Virginia’s ride yesterday, this should be a competitive game. Don’t think Tillman will make any major changes on clears by Monday, so ND will know what to expect.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Had been favoring Maryland thru va game but believe their run ends with ND who are far more disciplined defensively and deeper offensively . Unlike previous games , Weirman and McNaney together do not present a advantage over Lynch and Entenman. Maryland d played a great game especially on timing of slides , Shellenberger had few opportunities but had his hands free and Taylor and Cake dropping feeds that Cormier did. Spread of three sounds right, should be a competitive game in low double digits 13-10
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wet, rainy tomorrow - who does that favor ?

Field was very hot yesterday - a lot of lot of direct sunlight.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:06 pm Wet, rainy tomorrow - who does that favor ?

Usually the team that is less athletic and slower-paced. All the power to Maryland, but they will be that team tomorrow.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

stupefied wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:57 pm Had been favoring Maryland thru va game but believe their run ends with ND who are far more disciplinled defensively and deeper offensively . Unlike previous games , Weirman and McNaney together do not present a advantage over Lynch and Entenman. Maryland d played a great game especially on timing of slides , Shellenberger had few opportunities but had his hands free and Taylor and Cake dropping feeds that Cormier did. Spread of three sounds right, should be a competitive game in low double digits 13-10
clarification "far more disciplined defensively and deeper offensively" than UVA

Glad Maryland won as a ND UVA rematch would have been lopsided game again.

ND-UM matchup should be a enjoyable watch and well played game regardless of predictions
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Agreed a less closely officiated game should benefit MD. Do we trust them to behave the same tomorrow. They did a great job shutting down the UVA two man game but were pretty physical doing so. I love that play but a lot of times I’d see those plays flagged.

Also, how do you hire Cassese after that game and Lehigh winning the PL minus the two studs they he who left the prior two years (Mule and the one who went to Duke two years ago in spacing on)?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:06 pm Wet, rainy tomorrow - who does that favor ?

Dude I am burnt like a pot of black beans left on over night. Lower arms, that side from Kneecap to where the shorts hit and worst-the thinned spots on my dome!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:52 pm

Agreed a less closely officiated game should benefit MD. Do we trust them to behave the same tomorrow. They did a great job shutting down the UVA two man game but were pretty physical doing so. I love that play but a lot of times I’d see those plays flagged.

Also, how do you hire Cassese after that game and Lehigh winning the PL minus the two studs they he who left the prior two years (Mule and the one who went to Duke two years ago in spacing on)?
Yeah, I think the refs will officiate it fairly similarly. When UVA beat Yale in the 2019 national championship game I was at the game and the aggressive UVA ride with no calls for slashing, etc. was quite helpful to UVA in getting the momentum which they never let go (they absolutely were the better team that day). So normally I'd say this could be an advantage for Notre Dame (won't get called on some of those one hand attackman axe swing checks) but because ND's EMO is off the charts good if the refs just let 'em play that's a good thing for the Terps.

I think Cassese's stock has gone down a bit. (I personally would have a hard time hiring someone who walked away from a head coaching job to take an assistant's job but if it seemed like he was an offensive genius that wouldn't matter a bit.)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:56 pm

Dude I am burnt like a pot of black beans left on over night. Lower arms, that side from Kneecap to where the shorts hit and worst-the thinned spots on my dome!
I was hanging with the Atlanta coaches tailgate.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Hearing game time is changing to noon

Tweet from Anish
https://x.com/shroffpxp/status/17948232 ... EO2hFStaxg
gymman1031

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

Post by gymman1031 »

Yes, the time is now Noon due to expected inclement weather.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:12 pm Hearing game time is changing to noon

Tweet from Anish
https://x.com/shroffpxp/status/17948232 ... EO2hFStaxg
This favors ND. One less hour to recover from Saturday for Maryland which played the second game on Saturday. One might not think so, but the finalist that played the first semifinal game wins the NC more often than not and I don't think they are always the higher seed. That precious hour lost is significant. I gather this decision was taken to avoid bad weather.
jrn19

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

Post by jrn19 »

Don't think weather/conditions really matters a lot; it might favor Maryland as cooler probably minimizes the impact of depth but I don't really think ND was gonna run that 3rd midfield much anyway and Maryland's got 6 middies they can run that are playing good lacrosse.

If either team can get a decided adv at FO/goal they'll win IMO; if not that it'll come down to whether Notre Dame is just a little bit less sharp than normal, Maryland's able to control the matchups on defensively the way they did against UVA, and Terps can continue to get high % shots they didn't earlier in the season

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”