WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

The issue for me isn't CN or Boyle or Stanwick or Alter -- it is the combo platter that never allows more than a second or two of dead space to listen to the game. I watch a lot of English football, and (probably because of the pace of the game) the announcers simply say the name of the ball carrier and the recipient. Count the seconds between any dead space on today's broadcast. It's exhausting.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Posted this on the game thread also. Not sure where it is most appropriate.

Was really excited to turn on the Natty with my 7 and 3 year old girls. Women’s sports. On national TV!

Then I am immediately grabbing for the remote to change the channel during a commercial…..because some dumbass Doc Rivers movie is being advertised with a woman stripping down to lingerie and straddling him.

Female empowerment, girls! Focus on the game and ignore the objectification of your female brethren during commercials.

Embarrassing. We aren’t exactly a family of pearl clutchers, I should do better dropping F bombs in their company. But something about that ad during the only national broadcast of a women’s game all year just hit me wrong. My oh my how far we have (not) come.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

tothedraw wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:52 am
Brownlax wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:49 am Semi-Finals:
Just watched BC vs Cuse

I was not a fan of three announcers in the booth. I like Charlotte but I like Sheehan so much better. CN dominated the announcing. She talked over Sheehan and Jay Alter non-stop. CN needs to stop “screaming” so much.

Just not sure you need 3 in the booth along with Dana Boyle on sidelines.

My 2 cents
Agreed, CN bas become grating. I was impressed at her first year contributions. Now that she has more confidence, she is a bit over bearing
Biggest issue I have with her is she sounds like the female Paul Carcaterra. Needs to find her own voice.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I have generally thought she has been pretty good and that she has handled what for a young broadcaster and recent graduate has to be a pretty tough assignment, that is, calling a game involving your alma mater. But today the homer has really come out. At least she’s not Johnny Most. ;)
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

jff97 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:57 pm
Just watched BC vs Cuse

I was not a fan of three announcers in the booth. I like Charlotte but I like Sheehan so much better. CN dominated the announcing. She talked over Sheehan and Jay Alter non-stop. CN needs to stop “screaming” so much.

My 2 cents
Agreed, CN bas become grating. I was impressed at her first year contributions. Now that she has more confidence, she is a bit over bearing
Biggest issue I have with her is she sounds like the female Paul Carcaterra. Needs to find her own voice.
That because Carcaterra is taking her under his wings in the profession and forced down everyone's throats at ESPN. Literally everything he says she repeats in the female version - screaming, excessive emphasis and almost angry story telling, "44 in white...". Tons of knowledge but have to mute it - too exhausting to listen to. And I don't need her, and Sheehan in the booth - CN can wait her turn as Sheehan is royalty there.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Just watched BC vs Cuse

My 2 cents
That is spot on.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:27 pm
Just watched BC vs Cuse

My 2 cents
That because Carcaterra is taking her under his wings in the profession and forced down everyone's throats at ESPN. Literally everything he says she repeats in the female version - screaming, excessive emphasis and almost angry story telling, "44 in white...". Tons of knowledge but have to mute it - too exhausting to listen to. And I don't need her, and Sheehan in the booth - CN can wait her turn as Sheehan is royalty there.
I would swap her on field with Dana .
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:43 pm I would swap her on field with Dana.
In a millisecond.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

That would have put her on the field with BC.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m OK with SSB and CN in the booth. I would get rid of Jay Alter. He is worse than god-awful. Don’t understand why TV has never understood that there is not a need for a play-by-play person when the viewer is watching the game with their own eyes. This ain’t radio.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I think Jay does a good job. Sheehan does not add much insight in my opinion - she shares basic knowledge. CN offers good insight, but is a bit too intense and is hard to listen to. As a group I think they did a poor job in the Natty game. Did not talk enough about the comeback and BC momentum in second half. Did not mention that BC was the fresher team when they had 2 critical break away goals in 2nd half. They never want to highlight questionable calls and there were several. Shockingly they did not talk enough about how BC was attacking the NU zone. BC had 10 assists some of which were better than the shots and they never mentioned the player, the IQ or the chemistry needed to make many of the passes. If you go back and listen you would think Martello's 5 goals were unassisted. Same with Lopinto's BTB shot. Best Natty ever deserved a better effort from the announcers in my opinion.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”