John Tillman: Best Coach in the Game, Right?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: John Tillman: Best Coach in the Game, Right?

Post by tech37 »

:lol: Too funny. All you hear is Zap is the best! Wierman the best! McNaney the best! and yet Tillman has no talent to work with? This Terps team is loaded from top to bottom with talent. Classic sandbaggery from the MD lax cult on here...

Reality check = I expect a close, exciting game tomorrow.
Finster

Post by Finster »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 am :lol: Too funny. All you hear is Zap is the best! Wierman the best! McNaney the best! and yet Tillman has no talent to work with? This Terps team is loaded from top to bottom with talent. Classic sandbaggery from the MD lax cult on here...

I think Zap is the best defender in the game, but in no universe is McNaney the best goalie. His save % this season has been pedestrian...#37 in the country in D1.

Weirman is great, but even this year he looked mortal against others, including Lynch.

I'd disagree that the team is 'loaded'...outside of Zap, and Weirman (in most cases but not all), I don't know which player you'd trade for even up from another top 8 team??
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 am :lol: Too funny. All you hear is Zap is the best! Wierman the best! McNaney the best! and yet Tillman has no talent to work with? This Terps team is loaded from top to bottom with talent. Classic sandbaggery from the MD lax cult on here...

Not a single person has said McNaney is the best. But to pretend like there isn’t a clear talent gap, at least on offense, between this Terps team and the ACC powers is just willful ignorance.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:38 am

Not a single person has said McNaney is the best. But to pretend like there isn’t a clear talent gap, at least on offense, between this Terps team and the ACC powers is just willful ignorance.
This same gap existed between UMd's defense, faceoff team, goaltending, and midfield....and UVa's. UVa came in to yesterday's game with 5 losses for a reason.

Agree that Tillman is a fantastic coach, but this is now the third (!) championship game for UMd's seniors. This is not a coincidence.

I'll be pulling for the Terps tomorrow!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am He’s so good I just shake my head. It’s not just coaching .. it’s the culture and the way he communicates to the media. It’s the respect he gives the opponents and the former coaches and players.
Just compare Tillman’s midgame interview on the sideline yesterday with Peter Milliman’s midgame interview last week (or any week).

Again … PM is a very good coach.

Tillman? “Next level” doesn’t even begin to describe him. Tillman sounded like he was ready to offer a seminar on the Virginia-Maryland game. He actually started closing his eyes while talking on camera. Reminded me of this Near Eastern Studies professor at Hopkins who used to come into class, sit at the head of this big ancient conference table, take off his glasses, close his eyes, lecture for an hour on medieval Mediterranean history without notes or slides, and then leave the room.

Peter Milliman (who is a very good coach)? Reminds me of the manager at the Hopkins cafeteria who was once caught by a Hopkins Dean with putting away the tomatoes at the salad bar ten minutes early and got a scolding from the Dean (yes, I actually witnessed this one evening when I was a sophomore). I’m sure that cafeteria manager was a very good cafeteria manager most of the time.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Maryland does not beat themselves. That’s why they can do more with less. They are a very disciplined and fundamental program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

As I said in another post I just started, this contest will feature the best head coach in the game vs. the best current assistant(Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner) in the game. Ironically, both are former Navy assistants.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hmm. This thread feels like premature ejac….
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:48 pm Hmm. This thread feels like premature ejac….
I regret nothing.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:19 pm As I said in another post I just started, this contest will feature the best head coach in the game vs. the best current assistant(Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner) in the game. Ironically, both are former Navy assistants.
Terps have a leg up on face offs and the best coach in the country. A ton of lacrosse left. Don’t count the Terps out yet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:48 pm Hmm. This thread feels like premature ejac….
I regret nothing.
I mean always good to clear the pipes even if it’s in your pants
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Marv Levy ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:06 pm
I regret nothing.
I mean always good to clear the pipes even if it’s in your pants
Dude
Bagattawayhoo

Post by Bagattawayhoo »

Not today - IPad coach may get to the finals , but he loses more than he wins - typical of Md coaches
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Bagattawayhoo wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:23 pm Not today - IPad coach may get to the finals , but he loses more than he wins - typical of Md coaches
Good burn, bro!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:25 pm
Bagattawayhoo wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:23 pm Not today - IPad coach may get to the finals , but he loses more than he wins - typical of Md coaches
Good burn, bro!
Tillman broke through a four decade title drought for Maryland. Terps ought to melt down a bunch of gold, mold it into a golden iPad, and worship the thing like the unworthy heathens that they are.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Tillman’s only won 2 titles! He sucks! Not anywhere near a good coach like Corrigan or Tiffany or any of those dudes who….also have 2 titles
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:36 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:53 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:59 pm Was he the first choice after Cottle? 'Cause I'm not sure his Harvard tenure promised this degree of success.
Debbie Yow is a coach finding genius. Her hires have NC state #7 in the directors cup and football plus basketball in the top 15.
At UMD she moved on Timchel and hired Cathy Reese 5 time natty champ, she hired Brenda Frese natty bball champ. She hired Brian Pensky who had UMD woman’s soccer ascending but is now at FSU and a national champion.
Tillman and Bakich were her parting gifts to UMD. Bakich is now Clemson baseball #3 and was already in the World Series finals at Michigan. She had Fridge moving on to be replaced by coach in waiting Franklin. Then the dummies at UMD pushed her to NC State so NC state could move way up and UMD way down. Tillman is the last remaining greatness as the Yow era ages out.

She’s superhuman at identifying championship up and coming coaching talent.
Yep. Is there an AD HOF?

DocBarrister
Budgeting and spending ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:48 pm Hmm. This thread feels like...
I regret nothing.
I mean always good to clear the pipes...
This forum is for all lacrosse fans including children. Even if you think this language is fine for you and your children, please don't write posts like this. Other parents might not agree.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

It is totally wild that people use Tillman's 2 losses as unseeded team and this loss as a 7-seed as evidence that somehow he's not a great coach and doesn't have what it takes to win more.

If you watched any of Maryland's games this season, the fact he got this team to the last day of the college lacrosse season should be bullet point #1 of how great of a coach he is.

Does Lars take this team to the finals? Or Dino? Or whoever else you want to put up there?

Because, you know, guys like Lars and Dino couldn't actually beat this Maryland team - with is warts and all - in the tournament.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”