Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hooz123

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by Hooz123 »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:19 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:07 pm What if ND loses however? Maybe the Yalie wins after all.
Ha! Given that MB was voted second team in the USILA All-Americans (not that I agreed with that; if you look at the crossover opponents, he did better than O’Neill against Albany, Denver, and Penn), and this is an award that specifically relies on postseason play as well as regular play, I’ve accepted that any chance he had disappeared when Yale could not find a way into the NCAA tournament.

I think either Pat Kavanaugh or Liam Entenmann would be a very worthy winner. And for that matter I would certainly be happy for Shelly if he gets that hardware — giant of the game and he had a terrific year, including his OT goal against Hopkins in the prior round.
Lol. Give me pkav if he goes off. Liam winning the tewey is a joke. Lol
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Zapp is in the mix.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:06 pm Zapp is in the mix.
99% sure it must be one of a finalists, which zapp is not.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Zapp was by far the best player on the field today.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:23 pm Zapp was by far the best player on the field today.
Wierman. Zapp played very well but felt like Shelly inexplicably didn’t really test him all that much. Probably due to the fact that they hardly had the ball.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BigTurn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:41 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:23 pm Zapp was by far the best player on the field today.
Wierman. Zapp played very well but felt like Shelly inexplicably didn’t really test him all that much. Probably due to the fact that they hardly had the ball.
Zapp shut Shellenberger down
that’s the reason - he didn’t give Shellenberger any quarter.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:46 pm
Zapp shut Shellenberger down
that’s the reason - he didn’t give Shellenberger any quarter.
I’m not saying he didn’t. I just can’t recall Shelly trying to take him to the rack more than 4-5 times. Was a recurring theme for him all year though.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:17 pm
That’s correct. At least the USILA Lt. Raymond Enners Award to Zappitello for Most Outstanding Player is looking awfully good today. (In all honesty, I thought the Tewaaraton Foundation could’ve dropped O’Neill off the finalist list and added Zappitello but unless a returning winner is laid low by injury. It’s hard to imagine he would be left off the finalist list.)
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:59 pm
That’s correct. At least the USILA Lt. Raymond Enners Award to Zappitello for Most Outstanding Player is looking awfully good today. (In all honesty, I thought the Tewaaraton Foundation could’ve dropped O’Neill off the finalist list and added Zappitello but unless a returning winner is laid low by injury. It’s hard to imagine he would be left off the finalist list.)
Yea, certainly deserving. Maybe I’m not giving Zapp enough credit, I do think I saw him strip Shelly at least twice. I’m just always a little surprised when Shelly isn’t more assertive with the ball given how talented he is.
coda

Post by coda »

Seemed like Virginia wanted to test other defenders. Never found that guy to intiate
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:02 pm
Yea, certainly deserving. Maybe I’m not giving Zapp enough credit, I do think I saw him strip Shelly at least twice. I’m just always a little surprised when Shelly isn’t more assertive with the ball given how talented he is.
Yes, I wondered about that as well. I guess it wasn't in the game plan and Shelly is an unselfish player who wouldn't want to demand the ball if that were not the game plan? I also think the point about UVA just not having all that many possessions is also a good one. Additionally, I think UVA is used to scoring more in transition from its ride -- sometimes to break it open -- and Maryland handled the ride superlatively well.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 pm
Yes, I wondered about that as well. I guess it wasn't in the game plan and Shelly is an unselfish player who wouldn't want to demand the ball if that were not the game plan? I also think the point about UVA just not having all that many possessions is also a good one. Additionally, I think UVA is used to scoring more in transition from its ride -- sometimes to break it open -- and Maryland handled the ride superlatively well.
Yep. Maryland, a team that typically likes to limit transition and play in settled sets, was actually the far better team in transition today. They were getting up and out with their dmids/lsm and I think they scored at least 2-3 in unsettled sets.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:12 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 pm
Yep. Maryland, a team that typically likes to limit transition and play in settled sets, was actually the far better team in transition today. They were getting up and out with their dmids/lsm and I think they scored at least 2-3 in unsettled sets.
That's one of the things I admire about Tillman. He will exploit tendencies and will coach against others' expectations (MD is deliberate as all get out and only shoots 40 seconds into the 6 v 6? This game they'll RUN and the shorties will shoot with abandon). It really seemed to flummox UVA.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

With Entenmann at 67% and #51 with 5 points vs Denver, I think that it's a two player race right now. Shellenberger with 2 points against UMD might not be a strong enough outing.

For #1, I'm contrasting him with Rob Pannell in 2013... Cornell lost to Duke in the Semis, but Panell had a pretty big game.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:15 pm With Entenmann at 67% and #51 with 5 points vs Denver, I think that it's a two player race right now. Shellenberger with 2 points against UMD might not be a strong enough outing.

For #1, I'm contrasting him with Rob Pannell in 2013... Cornell lost to Duke in the Semis, but Panell had a pretty big game.
If true, the winner should send a thank you note to the Maryland D for eliminating O'Neil and Shellenberger. Shellenbergers heroic goal against JHU and his last NCAA goal were both pretty special.

Matchups for Monday's game will be interesting.
DMac

Post by DMac »

IMHO GKs need a separate award. The T Award is given to the player who is considered (by whomever) to be the top player in the land. You cannot play within' a circle 18' in diameter and be considered the top player in all of the land. Way too many phases of the game the GK doesn't participate in and way too many skills not needed to be a GK.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:43 am IMHO GKs need a separate award. The T Award is given to the player who is considered (by whomever) to be the top player in the land. You cannot play within' a circle 18' in diameter and be considered the top player in all of the land. Way too many phases of the game the GK doesn't participate in and way too many skills not needed to be a GK.
Completely disagree with this. A goalie should absolutely be considered. Entenmann is a stud and he has been his whole career. I’m sure Corrigan would let you know what he has meant as the leader of one of the best defenses in the country.
Finster

Post by Finster »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:15 pm With Entenmann at 67% and #51 with 5 points vs Denver, I think that it's a two player race right now. Shellenberger with 2 points against UMD might not be a strong enough outing.

And if ND loses Monday?
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

I think Shelly and O’Neil have had the same issue, sometimes when you are the alpha you have to make stuff happen. My guess is that they are good teammates and trust the system but sometimes you just have to be the guy. As a Terps fan I watched Bernhardt evolve in that respect, he was very deferential throughout his career until 2021 when he truly evolved and knew he had to take over more often.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:55 am

And if ND loses Monday?
It is absurd that the award for the best player in D1 for the 2024 season - the entire season - will depend on which TEAM wins the natty (if true). After four months of lacrosse, every voter has seen more than enough games to determine the best player by now. It should not depend on whether Zapp shuts down Kavanaugh tomorrow or whether ND wins and Entemann has a good game. In fact, IMO, Lynch has been the key for ND this tournament (and last year too). Give an award for the best player in the country and another award for the tournament MVP. Conflating the two in some seasons makes no sense to me. Kavanaugh or Entemann or Zapp or Wierman for tournament MVP. I still think Brandau or Shelly deserve the Tewy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”