House v NCAA

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: House v NCAA

Post by coda »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:28 am
coda wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:03 am
Chousnake wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:53 am All the articles I read mentioned $20 million per school for the major conference schools to be divided among all athletes. There is no mention of what happens to schools not in major conferences. If the Big 10 and ACC start paying lax players and every other conference does not, that will be the end of lacrosse as we know it. A handful of schools will have a big advantage over all others, but the sport can't be played with just 10 teams at D1.
Right now it would be Big 10 and ND. Though I would expect another round of conference realignment. Seems likely that college football resembles the NFL in 5-10 years. I believe it will be Big 10/SEC, instead of AFC/NFC. ACC seems to like the next casualty of conference realignment. Their share of the pie is falling well behind. A completely equal pay out to all players seems grossly unfair to me. I would think there will be some merit based pay. What that split looks like is anyone's guess. Could it be 50% goes to every athlete and the next 50% is based on revenue your team brings to the University? 25%/75%? 75/25?
Don't forget Utah. CBS predicts they will be a playoff team this year. They have big time facilities as well.
I circled the Big and ND, because they have outsized TV money and athletic revenue due to that. Big 12 and ACC are behind those and the SEC.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

coda wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:30 am
Chousnake wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:53 am All the articles I read mentioned $20 million per school for the major conference schools to be divided among all athletes. There is no mention of what happens to schools not in major conferences. If the Big 10 and ACC start paying lax players and every other conference does not, that will be the end of lacrosse as we know it. A handful of schools will have a big advantage over all others, but the sport can't be played with just 10 teams at D1.
Right now it would be Big 10 and ND. Though I would expect another round of conference realignment. Seems likely that college football resembles the NFL in 5-10 years. I believe it will be Big 10/SEC, instead of AFC/NFC. ACC seems to like the next casualty of conference realignment. Their share of the pie is falling well behind. A completely equal pay out to all players seems grossly unfair to me. I would think there will be some merit based pay. What that split looks like is anyone's guess. Could it be 50% goes to every athlete and the next 50% is based on revenue your team brings to the University? 25%/75%? 75/25?
Don't forget Utah. CBS predicts they will be a playoff team this year. They have big time facilities as well.
I circled the Big and ND, because they have outsized TV money and athletic revenue due to that. Big 12 and ACC are behind those and the SEC.
I agree that the ACC may be in trouble with the Clemson FSU rumors. B12 though does have outsized TV money maybe not SEC level but still enough to matter and stay relevant in whatever college football turns into.
coda

Post by coda »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:53 am
I agree that the ACC may be in trouble with the Clemson FSU rumors. B12 though does have outsized TV money maybe not SEC level but still enough to matter and stay relevant in whatever college football turns into.
Unfortunate lacrosse doesn’t overlap much with the Big 12. Best thing for lacrosse would be to get into the SEC, which could happen for a couple schools. Unfortunately, I don’t see that ever being a lacrosse league
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

coda wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:01 am
Unfortunate lacrosse doesn’t overlap much with the Big 12. Best thing for lacrosse would be to get into the SEC, which could happen for a couple schools. Unfortunately, I don’t see that ever being a lacrosse league
Head in the clouds....

.....the SEC already HAS a lacrosse league.

And, pretty sure all the recent, legal mumbo jumbo (language and rulings), includes those very same "club" teams.

So, with that said, maybe the MCLA can sue the colleges, and Disney.........for them to AIR the GameCocks vs. Auburn lacrosse games.

guess all those Hopkins, self declared "championships", prior to the N$aa "sanctioning" a lacrosse championship........

GEEZ.....the N$aa doesn't even control D1 college football championship.

Pathetic.

can you gamble, on SEC college lacrosse games, like the "spread" for Monday ?

I got $1000 on the D3 game today.........gambling is GOOD :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Talked with my son last evening and his reaction is that this deal should be rejected. The missing piece is collective bargaining.

Once there’s a union to negotiate on an ongoing basis, this can be worked out to benefit all the athletes rather than the NCAA or power conferences alone.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:55 am Talked with my son last evening and his reaction is that this deal should be rejected. The missing piece is collective bargaining.

Once there’s a union to negotiate on an ongoing basis, this can be worked out to benefit all the athletes rather than the NCAA or power conferences alone.
Yup. Otherwise they will be back at it again the next time the NCAA and universities maintain some kind of leverage.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:11 am
Head in the clouds....

And, pretty sure all the recent, legal mumbo jumbo (language and rulings), includes those very same "club" teams.

So, with that said, maybe the MCLA can sue the colleges, and Disney.........for them to AIR the GameCocks vs. Auburn lacrosse games.

guess all those Hopkins, self declared "championships", prior to the N$aa "sanctioning" a lacrosse championship........

Pathetic.

Me New England have you seen club lacrosse down here bc Ga Tech has a pretty good one and theyd still get beat by a non playoff D3 team it’s very clear.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Head in the clouds....

Pathetic.

Michigan dominated the MCLA 10-15 years ago. When they went D1 with some of the same players and coach, some people thought they would have immediate success. Instead, they got stomped. It took years for them to be competitive. No comparison. Not even close.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Head in the clouds....

Pathetic.

Michigan dominated the MCLA 10-15 years ago. When they went D1 with some of the same players and coach, some people thought they would have immediate success. Instead, they got stomped. It took years for them to be competitive. No comparison. Not even close.
This is true. But unlike most schools, Michigan's resources are overwhelming, almost illegal in the level of riches, so at some point they were going to rise. It was inevitable.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Late Slide wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:00 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Head in the clouds....

Pathetic.

This is true. But unlike most schools, Michigan's resources are overwhelming, almost illegal in the level of riches, so at some point they were going to rise. It was inevitable.
It took 10+ years. Longer than most predicted and expected. And even so, they are a borderline tourney team.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:02 pm [
Head in the clouds....

[/quote][/quote]

The legalality of the recent ruling specifically mentions "clubs", along with intramurals, etc. (n$aa-paying athletes )

This the link to the SEC

https://mcla.us/conference/SELC

Comparison, of any kind, regarding "being competitive" was never broached by we.

This ruling IS about more than Div. I lacrosse, as another poster had posted the "ruling", which included "clubs".

Regarding " Michigan"......suck pointed out that the Ugliest Helmets in ALL of college sports......the Patrick Swazey led "wolverines"......just couldn't get themselves a New England player on its roster. B/c some "kid" told "coach", that Tom Brady, and his lacrosse loving coach, just couldn't steer themselves some ISL or even FOunders league players. Brady went to Ohio State, right ? This, and a myriad of other "issues", kept Lea Thompson and her sister (better with the old nose) from succeeding....

Serious question: Do COACHES fall under the "payment" legal ruling ? for some reason, lacrosse claims to be "elite". Yet, it IS the only sport to play on anothers sports surface. Also , while we guess the "connected"
[i the "equity" regarding "opportutinty", especially regarding coach to player ratio, along with roster size, field players (11 vs 10, football to lacrosse) and scholarships. blah blah blah.

[/i]
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

But next season the B12 will have one school with a D1 lacrosse team that is favored to win the B12 in football so there is that.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

From what I have seen the immediate impact for lacrosse could be
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

I have a hard time seeing schools adding lacrosse scholarships but the roster limits I think could benefit the competitiveness of d1. Instead of Hopkins and Syracuse hoarding players those last guys are available for other schools.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:55 am Talked with my son last evening and his reaction is that this deal should be rejected. The missing piece is collective bargaining.

Has any court ruled that a scholarship athlete is an employee of the university providing the scholarship?
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:15 pm From what I have seen the immediate impact for lacrosse could be
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

I have a hard time seeing schools adding lacrosse scholarships but the roster limits I think could benefit the competitiveness of d1. Instead of Hopkins and Syracuse hoarding players those last guys are available for other schools.
Pretty obvious to me that the NCAA can't limit scholarships post NCAA v. Alston.

The question is: when do the athletes and/or smart Athletic Directors figure this out?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:36 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:15 pm From what I have seen the immediate impact for lacrosse could be
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

Pretty obvious to me that the NCAA can't limit scholarships post NCAA v. Alston.

The question is: when do the athletes and/or smart Athletic Directors figure this out?

So every participant for every sport will be on scholarship?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:02 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

depends on hoo is at the negotiating table. nil is/has been a placeholder. things are moving even faster than i was expecting. when we get to collective bargaining (there will be leaks), we'll have some more defined possible outcomes.
a fan

Post by a fan »

-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

No. I'm simply saying that the SCOTUS told the NCAA they can't limit compensation. Limiting scholarships is limiting compensation.

Nothing is keeping UVa from handing out 1,000 violin scholarships, for example. Because who's putting that cap on? No one. They can do what they want, yeah?

It's a free market, is what the SCOTUS told them.

So if Hopkins wants to skip the 12.5 limit, and hand out 40 full rides if they want. The NCAA can't stop them.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:16 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

No. I'm simply saying that the SCOTUS told the NCAA they can't limit compensation. Limiting scholarships is limiting compensation.

Nothing is keeping UVa from handing out 1,000 violin scholarships, for example. Because who's putting that cap on? No one. They can do what they want, yeah?

It's a free market, is what the SCOTUS told them.

So if Hopkins wants to skip the 12.5 limit, and hand out 40 full rides if they want. The NCAA can't stop them.
Maybe they want to make it voluntary participation?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:10 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

depends on hoo is at the negotiating table. nil is/has been a placeholder. things are moving even faster than i was expecting. when we get to collective bargaining (there will be leaks), we'll have some more defined possible outcomes.
That is what I am waiting for. Something rational will come out of it unless Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey etc collectively bargains their own deal. If so, I can see non revenue/olympic sports following a D3 model. Are we also saying D3 schools will have to pay all their athletes also?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”