Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Wheels »

Saw Coach Phipps shortly after the game, and he was like "I can't even explain what's happening here."

Co-signed, every Maryland fan.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:49 pm Saw Coach Phipps shortly after the game, and he was like "I can't even explain what's happening here."

#PhippsEffect
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:09 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:49 pm Saw Coach Phipps shortly after the game, and he was like "I can't even explain what's happening here."

#PhippsEffect
AHHHHHHHH-HAAAAAAA-HAAAAAAA!!!!! Too perfect.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:09 pm

#PhippsEffect
AHHHHHHHH-HAAAAAAA-HAAAAAAA!!!!! Too perfect.
Credit him as well for the moves of bringing Erksa and Malever through the box and moving Spanos to attack. Tills even credited him with those moves a couple weeks ago. It totally flipped the season. And his mixing of lines throughout the game has totally screwed with defenses trying to set their matchups.

Seems like the kids love him too. I was there and the guys gravitate to him. Especially after the game. It was a happy group.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Rewatching the game and man, Larkin was an animal. Absolutely decleated Schutz on the first play out of the second half.

His emergence could be huge Monday. He’s the type of athlete they’ll need on a guy like Faison. I’m not sure if it’s something they could switch to on short notice, but I liked Denver short sticking Taylor. McClane and Faison killed them in the first game, I think I’d double pole there.

I like their chances to control matchups better than they did in the first game. Either way, you’ll still have a shortie on someone who can initiate and make you pay. Which is the difficulty of playing ND
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Terps will not short Taylor
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Turnandrake wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:51 pm Burlace played great
And now he will play against his brothers on Monday. Where do the parents sit?
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

2 random observations - the first was uva not starting Nunes? Assuming he will transfer after that?

Which then I realized unless I missed something, where’s Murphy?
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:47 am 2 random observations - the first was uva not starting Nunes? Assuming he will transfer after that?

Think Murphy may have played himself out of the rotation. They completely flipped the offense. Kelly was barely getting any playing time and now he's starting and Erksa has now taken Kelly's role from earlier this season
Finster

Post by Finster »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:47 am 2 random observations - the first was uva not starting Nunes? Assuming he will transfer after that?

On the UVA goalie situation, that’s tricky. I believe Nunes only has one more year at Charlottesville, and Charlottesville being Charlottesville, would you transfer out? I wouldn’t.

On the Murphy situation, I don’t know but what I do know is in the game versus Duke, he stood out as the one Terp weakness with poorly placed shots, some turnovers, and just not up to the task.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Good pt on getting a Charlottesville degree…..
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 am

Think Murphy may have played himself out of the rotation. They completely flipped the offense. Kelly was barely getting any playing time and now he's starting and Erksa has now taken Kelly's role from earlier this season
The youtube postgame guy said Murphy may be back Monday, implying it is some sort of injury. Murphy, and everyone on the team, has struggled this year, but he is an important piece if they want to upset ND.

Similarly, it's great to see Brennan out there making a difference. He has always had an ability to get to the goal and/or draw slides.

Completely random question but since it was mentioned 50 times on the broadcast yesterday.....how is Kastner eligible to play a 5th season at Stanford next year after playing 4 full non-covid years at UVA?
TerpsLax19

Post by TerpsLax19 »

Great to see Brennan looking so confident and contributing. I’m another who is surprised to see this group turn their season around. Lot of experience on this team. Going to be a good game on Monday.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:13 am Good pt on getting a Charlottesville degree…..

The only degree with more pedigree than UVA I guess is an Ivy (which I don't think you can transfer into as a senior), but even then, UVA is one of the 'new Ivies' with much better weather, coeds, town life, and post-college networking. I'd suck it up for one season, and be ready when/if Morris falters. There are harder challenges in life.

This is not to diminish the issue for next Fall when UVA lax gathers together again...it's going to be a tricky issue for the coaches and players.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:58 am
Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:13 am Good pt on getting a Charlottesville degree…..

The only degree with more pedigree than UVA I guess is an Ivy (which I don't think you can transfer into as a senior), but even then, UVA is one of the 'new Ivies' with much better weather, coeds, town life, and post-college networking. I'd suck it up for one season, and be ready when/if Morris falters. There are harder challenges in life.

This is not to diminish the issue for next Fall when UVA lax gathers together again...it's going to be a tricky issue for the coaches and players.
I’d say that degrees from Duke, UNC, Mich, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and Hopkins are at least as prestigious as UVA, if not a little more so. I also think you’re overselling Charlottesville a bit. It’s a perfectly fine college town, but nothing stood out to me compared to plenty of others that I’ve seen.
Finster

Post by Finster »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:34 am
Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:58 am

I’d say that degrees from Duke, UNC, Mich, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and Hopkins are at least as prestigious as UVA, if not a little more so. I also think you’re overselling Charlottesville a bit. It’s a perfectly fine college town, but nothing stood out to me compared to plenty of others that I’ve seen.

That's fair. Of all those, Chapel Hill is probably the best 'college town'. I just don't think a senior goalie is going to transfer out at this stage unless the destination is just overwhelmingly better (maybe they have a degree program he's looking for that UVA doesn't).
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

I guess we are really highlighting a struggle MD has vs some of the Pedigree schools……

For example, Luke Miller of McDonogh is going to ND next year….his father played for MD, his uncle was a beast at MD (combs)…..
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:00 am I guess we are really highlighting a struggle MD has vs some of the Pedigree schools……

For example, Luke Miller of McDonogh is going to ND next year….his father played for MD, his uncle was a beast at MD (combs)…..

We have guys coming from McDonough, St Johns, Boys Latin and Gonzaga ….seems we are doing fine. Most of them are 5 stars.

My thought is Tills has a certain type of guy he wants. Lots of good players too, you can’t get them all.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Good point.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:00 am I guess we are really highlighting a struggle MD has vs some of the Pedigree schools……

I think the talent pool has grown so far beyond the northeast corridor that the pedigree stuff doesn't matter any more. This Terps team could have had 2 players who will be NFL draft picks (Trader and Ethan Burke). Those 2 would have made this roster on par with anyone's.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”