John Tillman: Best Coach in the Game, Right?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

John Tillman: Best Coach in the Game, Right?

Post by The Orfling »

Still letting the Maryland-Duke game sink in (following Maryland's dismantling of a previously very hot Princeton team): As the final seconds ticked off the clock I found myself thinking that John Tillman must be seen as the greatest current coach. Is there really a counter-argument, given how he's brought teams to the final four so many times, in different eras, with different rules of play, and different playing styles?

Yes, Maryland had some great pieces to work with, starting with two of the positional bests in the game at Luke Wierman and Ajax Zappitello, and a goalie, Logan McNaney, who is capable of playing with the best? But I think it's also clear that Maryland does not have the overall quantum of talent it's had at some other points. And with respect to goalie play -- currently very good -- Tillman was level-headed enough to stay patient with his goalie this year when he was building back from a year away and there were some holes in his game.

It's really awe-inspiring at this point. Hats off to John Tillman and to this 2024 Terp team.
molo

Re: John Tillman: Best Coach in the Game, Right?

Post by molo »

Certainly an excellent in game coach. He makes adjustments instead of simply “sticking to the game plan.”
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Trying to stir the hornets nest this early on a Sunday?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:12 am Still letting the Maryland-Duke game sink in (following Maryland's dismantling of a previously very hot Princeton team): As the final seconds ticked off the clock I found myself thinking that John Tillman must be seen as the greatest current coach. Is there really a counter-argument, given how he's brought teams to the final four so many times, in different eras, with different rules of play, and different playing styles?

Yes, Maryland had some great pieces to work with, starting with two of the positional bests in the game at Luke Wierman and Ajax Zappitello, and a goalie, Logan McNaney, who is capable of playing with the best? But I think it's also clear that Maryland does not have the overall quantum of talent it's had at some other points. And with respect to goalie play -- currently very good -- Tillman was level-headed enough to stay patient with his goalie this year when he was building back from a year away and there were some holes in his game.

It's really awe-inspiring at this point. Hats off to John Tillman and to this 2024 Terp team.
for duke to not finish off that game given how it started and how inept and outmanned maryland looked was nutz. props to tillman and yesterday especially to his guys' fortitude, resilience. tillman's one of the good guys, too.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 am Trying to stir the hornets nest this early on a Sunday?
Buzz buzz! More that I watched the game on DVR and had embargoed myself from social media/Fanlax. So this was my real-time hot take.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Boring thread...don't even waste your time.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I think that some other coaches (and maybe some TV/media types) at this point fully believe Tillman is kind of witch doctor or voodoo doctor.

Yesterday might not have been Tillman's most important win, but it might have been his greatest win. Pure magician.

TerpTalk posted some videos from yesterday. One of things that Wayne noted was how they talked to 5 or 6 players right after the game on the field. They all said the same thing: the game plan was the difference. Not a typical or universal response from players immediately following the last whistle of the game.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

This is his best coaching job ever. It’s really a team with a lot of holes and held together with tape, glue and caulk. The constant dropping of passes, some players lollygagging with no awareness plus aversion to physical play is never seen in a Tillman offense and something this group really can’t afford. I’m beginning to think that the idea of moving Erksa and Malever out and Spanos to attack was conceived mid season but was held back till the tournament for an unplanned for surprise if they could limp in.
Last edited by Essexfenwick on Sun May 19, 2024 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:29 am I think that some other coaches (and maybe some TV/media types) at this point fully believe Tillman is kind of witch doctor or voodoo doctor.

Yesterday might not have been Tillman's most important win, but it might have been his greatest win. Pure magician.

TerpTalk posted some videos from yesterday. One of things that Wayne noted was how they talked to 5 or 6 players right after the game on the field. They all said the same thing: the game plan was the difference. Not a typical or universal response from players immediately following the last whistle of the game.
That's really true. He's a great in-game coach too -- two thoughts:

1. One little moment that I saw on the broadcast -- which in some ways was about TV color commentary -- was with about two minutes, Duke down two goals with possession. The commentators were saying "gotta give the ball to O'Neill" and Carc advocated moving Zappitello from Zawada to O'Neill by saying "put the best on the best." Sure enough, John Tillman declined to change his game plan and swap coverage in the last two minutes, and it worked. What I think sets him apart is that he'll stay the course on some things but adjust on others. Very flexible but not frantic as a coach.

2. He took great time-outs. When Notre Dame beat UVA last year I remembered thinking that there were a couple late game situations in which UVA was under pressure, they didn't call a time-out, and UVA ended up losing the lead and the game. Tillman is not afraid to burn the timeouts down the stretch to save possessions. It's like clock management in the NFL; not everyone can do it.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I was at the game. I was saying the same thing about Tillman yesterday as Maryland clawed their way to the win. He's a tremendous coach. I will say though, that dominating face offs and getting solid goalie play when the opposing goalie is not making stops were the clear keys to this game. When those two things are going one team's way, very little else matters. Coaches can't win face offs or make saves. Jameison had a rough second half and Wierman really took over the game - 70% on face offs and two goals in the first half that kept the game close.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Clearly a good coach, probably up there in the top tier. The guy he coached against yesterday has won some natties and has continued to land top recruits, but maybe he's close to retirement age?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 am I was at the game. I was saying the same thing about Tillman yesterday as Maryland clawed their way to the win. He's a tremendous coach. I will say though, that dominating face offs and getting solid goalie play when the opposing goalie is not making stops were the clear keys to this game. When those two things are going one team's way, very little else matters. Coaches can't win face offs or make saves. Jameison had a rough second half and Wierman really took over the game - 70% on face offs and two goals in the first half that kept the game close.
+1
coda

Post by coda »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 am I was at the game. I was saying the same thing about Tillman yesterday as Maryland clawed their way to the win. He's a tremendous coach. I will say though, that dominating face offs and getting solid goalie play when the opposing goalie is not making stops were the clear keys to this game. When those two things are going one team's way, very little else matters. Coaches can't win face offs or make saves. Jameison had a rough second half and Wierman really took over the game - 70% on face offs and two goals in the first half that kept the game close.
I think the absolute lack of any adjustments from Duke is what makes the coaching difference look so stark.
1. Freshman goalie struggling. Leaves senior goalie who started every game in the tournament last year on the bench
2. Naso coming back from injury. He was dominated in 28 faceoffs (32%). The back-up got 1 face
3. Offensive game plan was a disaster. Really no response to the adjustments Maryland made
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Funny how things change. Ten years ago, Tillman was Danowski and Danowski was Tillman. Danowski was making final fours and winning three titles from 2007 to 2015 and Tillman couldn't get over the hump. Now it's reversed. And it took Corrigan 35 years or so to win a title. Let's face it. It's hard to win a championship.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

To say this Terps team isn't loaded with talent is sand bagging of the highest order. There are quite a few D1 coaches who would have got this team to this point in Tourney and probably some who would have got them here with a better record.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

You are always the "best" until you lose the next game. If he wins on Monday, then crown him. He is one of 3-4 in the conversation.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:38 am To say this Terps team isn't loaded with talent is sand bagging of the highest order. There are quite a few D1 coaches who would have got this team to this point in Tourney and probably some who would have got them here with a better record.
ha! sipping on that haterade
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

I think of the Bum Phillips quote : I don't know if he's in a class by himself, but I do know that when that class gets together, it sure don't take long to call the roll.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

laxpert wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 pm I think of the Bum Phillips quote : I don't know if he's in a class by himself, but I do know that when that class gets together, it sure don't take long to call the roll.
Ha! That's fantastic.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I'm ready to admit I was incorrect earlier; Tillman sure looks like The Best Coach. Let's see what he can do Monday against the overwhelming favorites.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”