NCAA House Settlement Updates

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LiveLaxLove

NCAA House Settlement Updates

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Here's a great breakdown of the impacts of the NCAA House Settlement:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh ... ce8aa5cb13

Notes:
-Schools will pay ~$21-22M annually to athletes, a number that will increase as revenue increases based on a 22% average of total athletic revenue (not including donations)
-No more scholarship limits. Schools can pay scholarships to everyone *if* they have the funding.
-Every school is on the hook for old payments
-Expect facility upgrades, new sports teams, economical travel arrangements or travel cancellations, and reevaluating support for non revenue sports
-NIL will only be used to fund beyond the $21-22M
-There's debate that the payouts fall under Title IX rules, just like NIL payments don't apply to Title IX rules
-The earliest this will take effect is Fall 2025
-Expect a countersuit from FCS schools

My takeaway for WLax:
-For the programs without big budgets, there will soon be a massive drop off in recruiting top talent and depth. Look in the top 25 WLax rankings, and if the school isn't a part of the Power 2 (or soon headed that way), say goodbye to them being a ranked program starting around 2025-2026.
-You'll never see WLax facilities like you do at Northwestern or Clemson again.
-I'm not sure FSU will continue their program, and if they do, it'll require corners to be cut left and right (especially as they build their new football facilities).
-WLax better find ways to create more revenue, or they'll soon find the sport shrinking quickly at the D1 level. The current model is not working (see TV viewership and fans in the stadium for a barometer).
-Schools operating in the negative across the athletic department (i.e. UNC) are going to show the most drastic change in programs that tumble in competitiveness.
-WLax better hope that there is a ruling that Title IX applies to these payments, otherwise WLax will face extinction at the top level.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”