GaitsRightHand

Re: UNC 2024

Post by GaitsRightHand »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:54 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:53 pm
coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:27 pm
coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:38 pm
NCblue wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:23 am I was in Baltimore over this past weekend and attended the Hop game with some alums. Given the miserable weather and more time in the bar than in the stands the talk was that Duffy is hitting the portal this summer and is interested in transferring to Hop next season. I had heard this rumor elsewhere but ignored it as end of season chatter. Was taking Nick Dupuis an insurance policy in the event that this unfortunate event occurs? Why else would we need to add to our attack ranks. Duffy(?), Matan, Dom, Wrede and the freshman Karestos with other quality players incoming next fall. If there is one unit on the team that does not need another player it is the attack. I hate the portal. Thank goodness we do not have to worry about NIL, yet.
Has anyone else heard this rumor or just drunken Jays.
Yes. Story is he is trying to get more NIL
I hope you have a reputable source! Rumor mill really spinning with this story.
He asked, if anyone heard this. I answered with the "story is". The source was reputable and has donned Carolina Blue. That does not mean Duffy will hit the portal. It more prevalent in football, but lot of kids threaten to hit the portal as a negotiating ploy. No idea if that is what this is about or if he is really looking to leave. Welcome to the new world order
What schools are going to succumb to NIL demands from non revenue generating players? Honest question because it is an interesting topic. JHU? Georgetown? Denver? Are Ivy's too elite to play the NIL game? UNC has all the marketing power to help a player capitalize on their Name/Image/Likeness which I am guessing is the recruiting pitch, but I cannot see them allocating NIL money from the funds put together for Football and Basketball (Heels4Life). Slippery slope especially with the recent BOT comments.
If we are going by the rumor mill, the top schools would be Hopkins and Cuse.
Would have to sit out a year if he transferred within conferences. Example: Nicky Galasso.

Hop would probably be the one, unless he's okay with sitting out as a Soph. If his knee/leg injury really was that bad and he could miss next year (due to injury), maybe he wouldn't mind transferring to another ACC and sitting out in 2025?
coda

Post by coda »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:03 pm
NCblue wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:23 am I was in Baltimore over this past weekend and attended the Hop game with some alums. Given the miserable weather and more time in the bar than in the stands the talk was that Duffy is hitting the portal this summer and is interested in transferring to Hop next season. I had heard this rumor elsewhere but ignored it as end of season chatter. Was taking Nick Dupuis an insurance policy in the event that this unfortunate event occurs? Why else would we need to add to our attack ranks. Duffy(?), Matan, Dom, Wrede and the freshman Karestos with other quality players incoming next fall. If there is one unit on the team that does not need another player it is the attack. I hate the portal. Thank goodness we do not have to worry about NIL, yet.
He asked, if anyone heard this. I answered with the "story is". The source was reputable and has donned Carolina Blue. That does not mean Duffy will hit the portal. It more prevalent in football, but lot of kids threaten to hit the portal as a negotiating ploy. No idea if that is what this is about or if he is really looking to leave. Welcome to the new world order
What schools are going to succumb to NIL demands from non revenue generating players? Honest question because it is an interesting topic. JHU? Georgetown? Denver? Are Ivy's too elite to play the NIL game? UNC has all the marketing power to help a player capitalize on their Name/Image/Likeness which I am guessing is the recruiting pitch, but I cannot see them allocating NIL money from the funds put together for Football and Basketball (Heels4Life). Slippery slope especially with the recent BOT comments.
Would have to sit out a year if he transferred within conferences. Example: Nicky Galasso.

Hop would probably be the one, unless he's okay with sitting out as a Soph. If his knee/leg injury really was that bad and he could miss next year (due to injury), maybe he wouldn't mind transferring to another ACC and sitting out in 2025?
I was just saying schools that have been rumored to be spending NIL money on lax. Not that either of those were a rumored destinations.. Just wanted to clarify
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm

I was just saying schools that have been rumored to be spending NIL money on lax. Not that either of those were a rumored destinations.. Just wanted to clarify
It's definitely happening now at some lax schools. Not insignificant $ to all players, more to top players.

The whole emphasis on keeping boosters out of recruiting is past tense.
NCblue

Post by NCblue »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:54 pm If we are going by the rumor mill, the top schools would be Hopkins and Cuse.
I am an old follower but new to posting on this forum. One thing that I appreciate about this forum is that there are mainly factual posts and the statements well thought out and written. My intention is not to be the bomb thrower or instigator. I named where I learned of the rumor
We all know how the portal works. Coaches and staff of any sport are not involved in the initial discussion, rules prohibit this and that would be tampering. And to be fair to the players they have to do a little investigation to see where there is availability. Lets not be naive, there is always someone willing to broker or ask the question of need. There has to be or nothing would get done. Time will tell if this rumor ages well and as a heel I would prefer Duffy to stay.
Not to change the subject abruptly, Coach Thompson to Brown?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Eventually everyone, it beocme game theory and ultimately a race to the bottom.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:25 pm
Agree that once the first few dominos fall, everyone has to do all they can to keep up. Important to note that in football and basketball, NIL has absolutely nothing to do with capitalizing on the name/image/likeness. It is payment to go to the school and play, on top of the scholarship money. Very interesting (and somewhat depressing) to see how this pans out in lacrosse, a money losing sport. If UNC starts doing NIL, it won't be helping Duffy make money by selling his autograph. It would be a pittance compared to football/basketball, not sure if the main collective would throw over a few dines or if they would try to have a different, non-revenue sport collective.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

The intraconference transfer rule is gone, he wouldn't have to sit if he transferred within the ACC. Galasso sat his first year because his foot injury flared back up again and he needed surgery.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:52 pm

The intraconference transfer rule is gone, he wouldn't have to sit if he transferred within the ACC. Galasso sat his first year because his foot injury flared back up again and he needed surgery.
Oops my b. Looks like it dissolved in 2021 FWIW..
https://theacc.com/news/2021/3/15/gener ... -rule.aspx
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm
Agree that once the first few dominos fall, everyone has to do all they can to keep up. Important to note that in football and basketball, NIL has absolutely nothing to do with capitalizing on the name/image/likeness. It is payment to go to the school and play, on top of the scholarship money. Very interesting (and somewhat depressing) to see how this pans out in lacrosse, a money losing sport. If UNC starts doing NIL, it won't be helping Duffy make money by selling his autograph. It would be a pittance compared to football/basketball, not sure if the main collective would throw over a few dines or if they would try to have a different, non-revenue sport collective.
I think the only way pay for play gets involved is if a booster donation is ear marked for lacrosse only. I do not think Power 5 (Power 2 soon) Football schools will allocate even a dollar towards lacrosse or any non revenue generating sport. Every penny is too important to building your football roster. To your other point, UNC tried to run multiple sport collectives and it failed miserably. Everything is under one umbrella now which might make it even harder to justify a school like UNC outright paying lacrosse players.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

BTW this is all speculation...

UNC only has one transfer in the portal... Grad student Colin Reilly.

Let's see if Duffy actually ends up in there.
CloutierPoutine

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:54 pm BTW this is all speculation...

UNC only has one transfer in the portal... Grad student Colin Reilly.

Let's see if Duffy actually ends up in there.
Bored at work and a fun topic to discuss though!
coda

Post by coda »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:52 pm
I think the only way pay for play gets involved is if a booster donation is ear marked for lacrosse only. I do not think Power 5 (Power 2 soon) Football schools will allocate even a dollar towards lacrosse or any non revenue generating sport. Every penny is too important to building your football roster. To your other point, UNC tried to run multiple sport collectives and it failed miserably. Everything is under one umbrella now which might make it even harder to justify a school like UNC outright paying lacrosse players.
I have wondered how this would work out in this world. I know it seems absolutely crazy, but I think just paying the kids in sports that make money is unlikely. I would imagine the powers that be will find away to give non-revenue sports some money. I doubt they would stand up to the roars of it being unjust, if Men's football and basketball made 95% of the NIL money. I dont envy them, but they are going to have to find some formula to incorporate some socialism in the disbursement of NIL funds. Not trying to get political here, it just is what it is.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Conversely with discount rates up drastically these days there is an argument for “grab the bag and come out of college net ahead financially and still compete for a title”. The present value of some future benefit form not transferring is more expensive than it would’ve been in 2017 or 2021

An interesting long term impact to me is that the value of coaches will change from on field coaching to program management. That’s going to cook the meathead who are lacrosse coach era, per their own teammates and friends from college because “of course they’re lacrosse coaches, they can’t do anything else”. And if your being honest with oneself we
Recognize half the D1 coaches fall under this category .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:52 pm
I really don’t think the colleges can let any decisions on students be made by donors and ever get affordable liability coverage.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm

It's definitely happening now at some lax schools. Not insignificant $ to all players, more to top players.

But it's not actually NIL. 99.6% of D1 players have zero value to their name, image, and likeness. It's simply pay to play and let's acknowledge that. Go a Maryland and JHU game and there's 1000 people there. This is dumb.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Late Slide wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm

But it's not actually NIL. 99.6% of D1 players have zero value to their name, image, and likeness. It's simply pay to play and let's acknowledge that. Go a Maryland and JHU game and there's 1000 people there. This is dumb.
Yes, though that's not the point of why boosters boost.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Its silly not to think schools aren’t taking advantage of the vagueness of NIL for lacrosse,

that’s what markets do,

hopefully non-top three conferences aren’t waiting for clear definitions of NIL - its really just one extra funding source - before they take advantage as well, if they aren’t already.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:30 pm Its silly not to think schools aren’t taking advantage of the vagueness of NIL for lacrosse,

that’s what markets do,

hopefully non-top three conferences aren’t waiting for clear definitions of NIL - its really just one extra funding source - before they take advantage as well, if they aren’t already.
meh.... lacrosse could be anything in the next.5 years. up, way down. the nc$$ is morphing. nil is a placeholder for whatever comes next. it could be anything, really.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Welp just lost 5* Middie Wyatt Bowman to Cuse football. I'd imagine Gary Gait is sending out an email shortly.
CloutierPoutine

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:27 pm Welp just lost 5* Middie Wyatt Bowman to Cuse football. I'd imagine Gary Gait is sending out an email shortly.
Loved his potential. Darn! Good thing our 2025 Midfield class is stacked.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”