Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:44 pm Ffg, I agree with your last post. I just don't know what to conclude about the portal stuff. COVID, 5th year, grad students, NIL, scholarships, etc.... have changed everything.
Opsahl was a great player, but I took him at his word that he had lost the joy of playing. I think he was close to teammates and coaches ... I may be mistaken, but I think he hunted with Terry Muffley ... but he didn't like playing at Hobart anymore.
Opsahl wasn’t ride or die on lacrosse but maybe he could’ve been “saved”.

Portal - 5 football starters entered and I believe all are returning. It may just be the way of the world for kids these days I don’t know either a
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:51 pm As for Tom saving the day ... get a second opinion. What you said sounded like it came from Drennen himself. I don't buy it. He can't get along with his own department, much less run the school. There's about 9 apps from Wells, and no deposits from them yet. Talking to Drennen about MGMT is like talking to Raymond about Hobart lacrosse. Each has inside information and knows a lot, but both spin like There's no tomorrow.
Well I’ll take this offline but either way things are directionally good. Lot of work to do still though. It may seem like it doesn’t matter but big difference between being 55-60 and 75 in USnwr like we’ve migrated down over the prior two decades. Get 5-7 spots back and that helps lacrosse too.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Completely agree!
Pegasus6

Post by Pegasus6 »

As someone called me out at some earlier post I am stunned by how little I knew about the portal and even more stunned at how much oxygen is devoted to the subject. I am an alum, recruited by DJU and cut my junior year in the 80's. Definately some bitterness there even many years later if i were to confess, as I assume I could have played elsewhere. I had other coaches who called back then. But a nagging knee injury knocked my game back a bit and so it just was not to be. But it also opened doors, study abroad, more time to take the harder classes, prep for post grad admission tests and even some time to chase cute girls around at after hours parties and the Sideshow and the Holiday at closing time. Life went on. The lesson learned which I imparted on my son when his time came to play college lacrosse and my daughter for her college sport was to choose a place where you would go even if your lacrosse dreams don't work out due to injury, competition, or loss of love of the game. I don't know whether the Portal would have been a good thing back then or now. I am not convinced that a second bite at the apple is good for anyone. Pick your school, do the research on whether it is a good fit and take your shot. If guys are jumping ship, as an alum to me that is not a program problem, it is a college problem indicating the quality of the education is outbalanced by the lacrosse experience.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Pegasus6 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:20 pm As someone called me out at some earlier post I am stunned by how little I knew about the portal and even more stunned at how much oxygen is devoted to the subject. I am an alum, recruited by DJU and cut my junior year in the 80's. Definately some bitterness there even many years later if i were to confess, as I assume I could have played elsewhere. I had other coaches who called back then. But a nagging knee injury knocked my game back a bit and so it just was not to be. But it also opened doors, study abroad, more time to take the harder classes, prep for post grad admission tests and even some time to chase cute girls around at after hours parties and the Sideshow and the Holiday at closing time. Life went on. The lesson learned which I imparted on my son when his time came to play college lacrosse and my daughter for her college sport was to choose a place where you would go even if your lacrosse dreams don't work out due to injury, competition, or loss of love of the game. I don't know whether the Portal would have been a good thing back then or now. I am not convinced that a second bite at the apple is good for anyone. Pick your school, do the research on whether it is a good fit and take your shot. If guys are jumping ship, as an alum to me that is not a program problem, it is a college problem indicating the quality of the education is outbalanced by the lacrosse experience.
A big advantage we could have is if the coaches would get alumni more connected to the players for internships and jobs. The education is fine but nothing special. Most players graduate without any help from the program and are left to hunt for themselves. I think that is not the reason freshman leave but its something we can work on
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

The education is great and definitely special. These days the student faculty ratio is like 10 to 1. Abroad programs rated consistently among tops in the nation. High ROI rating. Highest student satisfaction with faculty among our peers. Students can accomplish whatever they want, and resources abound. Career services rated among the top too. Hobart and Wiiliam Smith students, including athletes, win academic honors, Fulbrights, compete nationally and internationally. Lacrosse players too ... Max Horton is a great example. He could've played a 5th year, but he's too busy working in his full-ride Ph.D. program.
USNWR ratings have dropped, but that is entirely related to endowment and pay, which are proxy stats without methodological validity. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink, and plenty of students graduate without taking advantage of what was right in front of them.
Yes, alumni should help, but these guys have to help themselves too. And alumni have to talk up all these things Hobart has that other places don't.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:59 am The education is great and definitely special. These days the student faculty ratio is like 10 to 1. Abroad programs rated consistently among tops in the nation. High ROI rating. Highest student satisfaction with faculty among our peers. Students can accomplish whatever they want, and resources abound. Career services rated among the top too. Hobart and Wiiliam Smith students, including athletes, win academic honors, Fulbrights, compete nationally and internationally. Lacrosse players too ... Max Horton is a great example. He could've played a 5th year, but he's too busy working in his full-ride Ph.D. program.
USNWR ratings have dropped, but that is entirely related to endowment and pay, which are proxy stats without methodological validity. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink, and plenty of students graduate without taking advantage of what was right in front of them.
Yes, alumni should help, but these guys have to help themselves too. And alumni have to talk up all these things Hobart has that other places don't.
Admission rate major factor too.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

I’m not going to debate rankings because I don’t follow closely. But for those hiring please reach out to seniors. Not many have jobs yet.
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

cooperstef wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 pm Don't really care how this is taken tbh. Thinking about the entire year and what has happened post season has brought me to one conclusion. A large senior class is either a great or a bad thing. A large senior class with contributors and leaders can make for a great year. A large senior class with little success makes for a disaster. I know a lot of people on here look to the coach for the reason of an extremely disappointing season. You could be right, I don't know. I do know that the amount of time spent in the locker room with no coach at all is just as valuable in making a successful team as practice time is. I think the story of every lacrosse team starts 4 years prior. The senior class can determine what the year will look like no matter the ability of the players of that class. Do you think that the top player (who is a freshman) on this team left because of just only the coach? That is foolish. I think the coach determines the mindset and the work ethic. Everything in between is on the players and in the locker room. I'm pretty sure that everyone on here found a lot more solace in that room than they did the field. To have a team that loses more games year after year while a class progresses is something to consider. The only thing that is asked of you at Hobart is for you to leave it better than you entered. Also Hebrew Hammer, you're a loser. We know who you are. Don't talk to someone like that.
What the
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hebrewhammer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:34 pm
cooperstef wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 pm Don't really care how this is taken tbh. Thinking about the entire year and what has happened post season has brought me to one conclusion. A large senior class is either a great or a bad thing. A large senior class with contributors and leaders can make for a great year. A large senior class with little success makes for a disaster. I know a lot of people on here look to the coach for the reason of an extremely disappointing season. You could be right, I don't know. I do know that the amount of time spent in the locker room with no coach at all is just as valuable in making a successful team as practice time is. I think the story of every lacrosse team starts 4 years prior. The senior class can determine what the year will look like no matter the ability of the players of that class. Do you think that the top player (who is a freshman) on this team left because of just only the coach? That is foolish. I think the coach determines the mindset and the work ethic. Everything in between is on the players and in the locker room. I'm pretty sure that everyone on here found a lot more solace in that room than they did the field. To have a team that loses more games year after year while a class progresses is something to consider. The only thing that is asked of you at Hobart is for you to leave it better than you entered. Also Hebrew Hammer, you're a loser. We know who you are. Don't talk to someone like that.
What the
This is the first time I noticed he name dropped you. Whatever that is. I stopped after the brilliant revelation that a situation could go one way or the other and you’ll only know after the outcome has occurred.

But I have to say if this is teammates getting after it I don’t endorse it yet find it compelling to observe.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

My experience is that a lot happens without the coaches present. And that is why it is critical for coaches to leverage the captains to see things that coaches dont see. If the team is aligned between coaches and captains with a good feedback loop then a lot can be mitigated. Because remember that captains are selected by the players because they trust them to lead and communicate with the coaches. What cant be determined by anyone on this string, except for maybe my suspicion that one of these posts is actually a coach/staff member or affiliated with the school, is whether the coaches took to heart the feedback from the captains. My experience is that it takes incredible humility to accept that you have be missing something and to listen to a group of 22 year olds to change your strategy for the betterment of the team. College coaches have huge egos because in general they were studs in their personal careers — so I suspect that is part of this whole culture dynamic on the feedback loop. I am just hesitant to continue to deflect accountability from coaches and put back to the players -especially with how militant Raymond is. People do not ignore his demands.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

You couldn't pay me enough to be a coach these days. The NC$$ is a complete cluster leaving college athletics FUBAR. COVID years, constant rule changes, Portal, NIL, and now the settlement and pay to play.
I'm an old man ranting, but between all of that, the skewing of rules towards offense, stick and string and ball technology that changes the fundamentals of the game, it really makes me want to focus on high school. Or the woman's game.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

You couldn't pay me enough to be a coach these days. The NC$$ is a complete cluster leaving college athletics FUBAR. COVID years, constant rule changes, Portal, NIL, and now the settlement and pay to play.
I'm an old man ranting, but between all of that, the skewing of rules towards offense, stick and string and ball technology that changes the fundamentals of the game, it really makes me want to focus on high school. Or the woman's game.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am You couldn't pay me enough to be a coach these days. The NC$$ is a complete cluster leaving college athletics FUBAR. COVID years, constant rule changes, Portal, NIL, and now the settlement and pay to play.
Ah, yes, the women's game. I personally find it very entertaining (except for a few of the funky rules). I'm a big fan of the SU Orange. They can really fly (their speed is so impressive) and their stick skills are exceptional. They know how to run a fast break that puts many men's teams to shame. Today I'll be watching SU take on Boston College. The reason I'm even mentioning all of this on the Hobart lax thread is because of the coaching. Both SU and BC have extremely young coaches who inspire their teams, and it shows in the way the teams play. They're having fun out there. I'll be honest. I don't find the Hobart coaching staff very inspirational at all. On the contrary. And it shows in the way the team plays.
GFries'15

Post by GFries'15 »

A big advantage we could have is if the coaches would get alumni more connected to the players for internships and jobs. The education is fine but nothing special. Most players graduate without any help from the program and are left to hunt for themselves. I think that is not the reason freshman leave but its something we can work on
[/quote]

Laxbro - totally agree. To that point Pete Zonino ('14) started a Hobart Lacrosse - Professional Network Linkedin group that spotlights player resumes and connects them to alumni. I'm not as familiar with the recent crop of lacrosse grads as you likely are, but feel free to pass along the group link (below) or encourage them to reach out to me directly (also below). We're happy to connect and help.

Nothing but positive memories as I reflect on my time at Hobart both on and off the field. Feel lucky to have had Sean Regan ('13) and Brandon Baer ('07) help me land my first internship. Important to know that we have a great network, and are all happy to help pay it forward!

As it relates to this forum, I wonder if it behooves us to have a greater sense of camaraderie, togetherness and support for the team and program. Obviously a tough couple of seasons, with some very frustrating moments, but feel like its our duty to continue to build up and support the program instead of tearing it down.

Hip Hobart Forever

-George Fries '15

Hobart Lacrosse Professional Network: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1440405 ... dForGroups

Personal Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-fries-652b5673/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am You couldn't pay me enough to be a coach these days. The NC$$ is a complete cluster leaving college athletics FUBAR. COVID years, constant rule changes, Portal, NIL, and now the settlement and pay to play.
And how many lacrosse players do you know who were built for in this path in life. I don’t know BJ well by a lot of his college friends used to say his destiny and only destiny could be to be a lacrosse coach. If not college the only way to make a living is be like our boy Cabell Maddux and work parents anxiety to make a living
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:51 am
Ah, yes, the women's game. I personally find it very entertaining (except for a few of the funky rules). I'm a big fan of the SU Orange. They can really fly (their speed is so impressive) and their stick skills are exceptional. They know how to run a fast break that puts many men's teams to shame. Today I'll be watching SU take on Boston College. The reason I'm even mentioning all of this on the Hobart lax thread is because of the coaching. Both SU and BC have extremely young coaches who inspire their teams, and it shows in the way the teams play. They're having fun out there. I'll be honest. I don't find the Hobart coaching staff very inspirational at all. On the contrary. And it shows in the way the team plays.
I think some around campus are afraid of some of the social aspects that came with player coaches like BJ and Matt for the first 12-15yrs of d1. Just like BOT members still defend not only hiring but keeping Hersh around as long as they did because of how the 80s were.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

GFries'15 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:41 pm A big advantage we could have is if the coaches would get alumni more connected to the players for internships and jobs. The education is fine but nothing special. Most players graduate without any help from the program and are left to hunt for themselves. I think that is not the reason freshman leave but its something we can work on
Laxbro - totally agree. To that point Pete Zonino ('14) started a Hobart Lacrosse - Professional Network Linkedin group that spotlights player resumes and connects them to alumni. I'm not as familiar with the recent crop of lacrosse grads as you likely are, but feel free to pass along the group link (below) or encourage them to reach out to me directly (also below). We're happy to connect and help.

Nothing but positive memories as I reflect on my time at Hobart both on and off the field. Feel lucky to have had Sean Regan ('13) and Brandon Baer ('07) help me land my first internship. Important to know that we have a great network, and are all happy to help pay it forward!

As it relates to this forum, I wonder if it behooves us to have a greater sense of camaraderie, togetherness and support for the team and program. Obviously a tough couple of seasons, with some very frustrating moments, but feel like its our duty to continue to build up and support the program instead of tearing it down.

Hip Hobart Forever

-George Fries '15

Hobart Lacrosse Professional Network: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1440405 ... dForGroups

[/quote]

This is awesome - thanks for sharing!! I will definitely pass these links around.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbro19 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am
GFries'15 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:41 pm A big advantage we could have is if the coaches would get alumni more connected to the players for internships and jobs. The education is fine but nothing special. Most players graduate without any help from the program and are left to hunt for themselves. I think that is not the reason freshman leave but its something we can work on

Hip Hobart Forever

-George Fries '15

This is awesome - thanks for sharing!! I will definitely pass these links around.
[/quote]

Isn’t Baer with the cmbs fund polpo now?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”