All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

My wife had a number of nurses she had worked with for decades who quit nursing because for whatever reasons they chose not to be threatened into getting vaccinated. The mass exit of skilled and experienced nurses is still reverberating today. When I was in the hospital I was on the orthopedic floor at RGH. There was only one nurse on that floor with any orthopedic nursing experience. When I developed a nasty reaction to my vancomycin IV I had to call the nurse to check it out. He nonchalantly pointed out that this reaction is common with vancomycin IVs. When I asked him why this wasn't flagged on my chart all I received was a shoulder shrug. Part 2 was when they had to abandon that IV and find a new vein. Three failed attempts later I wound up calling my wife out of frustration and begging her to put my IV in. ( Of course she couldn't do that) I bet most of you are unaware of the skill required to properly insert an IV. Thirty years ago hospitals use to have dedicated IV teams that did ALL of the IVs. It is a very sad state of affairs when a nurse graduating after 4 years of school ( 4 years is the new protocol) hasn't been trained well enough to know how to install an IV. The only way you get proficient at IVs is to do them frequently. You shouldn't be using your patients as dart boards.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:06 pm
My wife had a number of nurses she had worked with for decades who quit nursing because for whatever reasons they chose not to be threatened into getting vaccinated. The mass exit of skilled and experienced nurses is still reverberating today. When I was in the hospital I was on the orthopedic floor at RGH. There was only one nurse on that floor with any orthopedic nursing experience. When I developed a nasty reaction to my vancomycin IV I had to call the nurse to check it out. He nonchalantly pointed out that this reaction is common with vancomycin IVs. When I asked him why this wasn't flagged on my chart all I received was a shoulder shrug. Part 2 was when they had to abandon that IV and find a new vein. Three failed attempts later I wound up calling my wife out of frustration and begging her to put my IV in. ( Of course she couldn't do that) I bet most of you are unaware of the skill required to properly insert an IV. Thirty years ago hospitals use to have dedicated IV teams that did ALL of the IVs. It is a very sad state of affairs when a nurse graduating after 4 years of school ( 4 years is the new protocol) hasn't been trained well enough to know how to install an IV. The only way you get proficient at IVs is to do them frequently. You shouldn't be using your patients as dart boards.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:30 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... trying to get back in good graces with the MAGA cult. :lol: :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:30 pm
... trying to get back in good graces with the MAGA cult. :lol: :roll:
That guy that shot himself in the video that CA posted about also died suddenly.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

And what caused this exodus? Think it had a single cause? I don’t.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:25 pm
Some had to do with nurses refusing the COVID vax. The vast majority were nurses with decades of experience who were burned out and had enough. My wife is one of those nurses now. She has been a nurse since 1980. 44 years and 2 new hips and 2 new knees later she is burned out as well. One more month and she is done. You would be hard pressed to find a nurse that doesn't have some sort of chronic pain they deal with.
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:25 pm
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.13 ... .28.4.w646
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Wouldn't this be interesting.....if 'nicotine' was the cure all along. https://x.com/LauraLynnTT/status/1793351315881685108
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:22 pm Wouldn't this be interesting.....if 'nicotine' was the cure all along. https://x.com/LauraLynnTT/status/1793351315881685108
Here come the townsfolk with their pitchforks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting stuff, thanks Youth.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:22 pm Wouldn't this be interesting.....if 'nicotine' was the cure all along. https://x.com/LauraLynnTT/status/1793351315881685108

Joe
I smoke cigars often, never tested positive for covid, but assumed I got it b/c I felt like I had a hangover for a day or so and lost my taste and smell for about 7 days; it was around the tale end era of the omicron variant. Worked non-stop around people during the entire pandemic...maybe there is something to it, that and maybe a dram of whiskey and a good 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
~Livy
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:13 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:46 pm

Joe
I smoke cigars often, never tested positive for covid, but assumed I got it b/c I felt like I had a hangover for a day or so and lost my taste and smell for about 7 days; it was around the tale end era of the omicron variant. Worked non-stop around people during the entire pandemic...maybe there is something to it, that and maybe a dram of whiskey and a good 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
Yup, I use nicotine on a social basis (Once a week at most). Had a very similar situation to you and that was in December of 2021 when the new variant hit NY as I was at a rooftop party at this chick's place on a very balmy (Mid 60's) December Saturday with about 170+ people attending.

Joe
DMac

Post by DMac »

Would be interesting to see the # of covid deaths in smokers and non-smokers, see if there's any truth to what's been said.
Yup, I smoke, and my unvaccinated self is still alive despite being up there on the high risk list. Might not have been my
natural immunity system after all. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:46 am
Would be interesting to see the # of covid deaths in smokers and non-smokers, see if there's any truth to what's been said.
Yup, I smoke, and my unvaccinated self is still alive despite being up there on the high risk list. Might not have been my
Not sure enough work has been done. You are misusing the term “natural immunity” but I know what you mean.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3536387 ... rmed%20the,)%20with%20COVID%2D19%20mortality.

A lot of unvaccinated folks that contracted COVID are still alive….particularly post Delta variant. But before that, a lot of unvaccinated people died….at a much higher rate than vaccinated by YMV.

https://err.ersjournals.com/content/32/167/220191

Abstract

The association between current smoking and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) progression remains uncertain. We aim to provide up-to-date evidence of the role of cigarette smoking in COVID-19 hospitalisation, severity and mortality. On 23 February 2022 we conducted an umbrella review and a traditional systematic review via PubMed/Medline and Web of Science. We used random-effects meta-analyses to derive pooled odds ratios of COVID-19 outcomes for smokers in cohorts of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infected individuals or COVID-19 patients. We followed the Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology reporting guidelines. PROSPERO: CRD42020207003. 320 publications were included. The pooled odds ratio for current versus never or nonsmokers was 1.08 (95% CI 0.98–1.19; 37 studies) for hospitalisation, 1.34 (95% CI 1.22–1.48; 124 studies) for severity and 1.32 (95% CI 1.20–1.45; 119 studies) for mortality. Estimates for former versus never-smokers were 1.16 (95% CI 1.03–1.31; 22 studies), 1.41 (95% CI: 1.25–1.59; 44 studies) and 1.46 (95% CI 1.31–1.62; 44 studies), respectively. Estimates for ever- versus never-smokers were 1.16 (95% CI 1.05–1.27; 33 studies), 1.44 (95% CI 1.31–1.58; 110 studies) and 1.39 (95% CI 1.29–1.50; 109 studies), respectively. We found a 30–50% excess risk of COVID-19 progression for current and former smokers compared with never-smokers. Preventing serious COVID-19 outcomes, including death, seems the newest compelling argument against smoking

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3536387 ... rmed%20the,)%20with%20COVID%2D19%20mortality.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 am
Not sure enough work has been done. You are misusing the term “natural immunity” but I know what you mean.

A lot of unvaccinated folks that contracted COVID are still alive….particularly post Delta variant. But before that, a lot of unvaccinated people died….at a much higher rate than vaccinated by YMV.

Abstract

The association between current smoking and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) progression remains uncertain. We aim to provide up-to-date evidence of the role of cigarette smoking in COVID-19 hospitalisation, severity and mortality. On 23 February 2022 we conducted an umbrella review and a traditional systematic review via PubMed/Medline and Web of Science. We used random-effects meta-analyses to derive pooled odds ratios of COVID-19 outcomes for smokers in cohorts of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infected individuals or COVID-19 patients. We followed the Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology reporting guidelines. PROSPERO: CRD42020207003. 320 publications were included. The pooled odds ratio for current versus never or nonsmokers was 1.08 (95% CI 0.98–1.19; 37 studies) for hospitalisation, 1.34 (95% CI 1.22–1.48; 124 studies) for severity and 1.32 (95% CI 1.20–1.45; 119 studies) for mortality. Estimates for former versus never-smokers were 1.16 (95% CI 1.03–1.31; 22 studies), 1.41 (95% CI: 1.25–1.59; 44 studies) and 1.46 (95% CI 1.31–1.62; 44 studies), respectively. Estimates for ever- versus never-smokers were 1.16 (95% CI 1.05–1.27; 33 studies), 1.44 (95% CI 1.31–1.58; 110 studies) and 1.39 (95% CI 1.29–1.50; 109 studies), respectively. We found a 30–50% excess risk of COVID-19 progression for current and former smokers compared with never-smokers. Preventing serious COVID-19 outcomes, including death, seems the newest compelling argument against smoking

I bolded for those whose eyes glaze over when reading and may have not gotten the point.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:19 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 am

Abstract

I bolded for those whose eyes glaze over when reading and may have not gotten the point.
Yes. Add one more item to the list of reasons why you shouldn’t smoke. Grandfather, two aunts, one uncle and mother all died from lung cancer brought on by smoking. Brother survived for now. None of them died from Covid though.
runrussellrun

Ecohealth Alliance FIRED

Post by runrussellrun »

Suck know, suck know, old news.

But, Ecohealth alliance, got the boot from the white collar welfare system. Something POS tRump couldn't do.

As he should be.....POTUSA 45 will be thrown under the bus.

The Utah teacher, filing a lawsuit.....astra zenck........challenging tRUMP invoking the PREP act.....weeks befor W.H.O. declared world pandemic.

Hope the covidians all wore masks this weekend while socializing.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”