Andrew Perun Sewanee
Tyler Spano Washington and Lee
James Turco Babson
Tony Vazquez Elmhurst
Angelo Venuto Rensselaer
Lacrossefan25

Re: USILA D3 All Americans 2024

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

What an absolutely clown show by the USILA… do the people that vote on this watch games??? Also kind of ridiculous to have 5 attackmen 4 middies and 4 defenseman slots for each team…. The all American list has become a participation award and it’s sad to see
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yeah, even by the grade inflation standards of today, that is a ludicrous number of HM slots
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

This is really bad..
ergit

Post by ergit »

I think the list is better than Inside Lacrosse’s. For those complaining, tell your son to work harder. Congratulations to those honoured.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

ergit wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:44 pm I think the list is better than Inside Lacrosse’s. For those complaining, tell your son to work harder. Congratulations to those honoured.
I’m saying the opposite, should be way less people
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

ergit wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:44 pm I think the list is better than Inside Lacrosse’s. For those complaining, tell your son to work harder. Congratulations to those honoured.

There are way too many players that made all American. It waters down the meaning of the award. Absolutely no need for 4 and half pages of honorable mention all Americans. Call me old school but it should be 3 attack, 3 midfield, 3 defense, 1 lsm, 2 SSDM, 1 faceoff, 1 goalie for first, second, and third team.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:18 pm What an absolutely clown show by the USILA… do the people that vote on this watch games??? Also kind of ridiculous to have 5 attackmen 4 middies and 4 defenseman slots for each team…. The all American list has become a participation award and it’s sad to see
The coaches nominate the players. The players are then voted on by the USILA staff. I doubt that the staff watches all of the games but I'm sure they watch many and are aware of the best players. There is no one on fanlax who watches all of the games. There are very few on Fanlax that know about most of these players. Take a guy like Dylan Mlinarich from North Central, who's to say he doesn't belong on the list. There are about 240 teams in D3 lacrosse with lets say an average of 40 kids on a team. That is 9,600 players. There are about 230 names on this list. So that is about 2.5% of all the players in D3. IMO that is not too many and it's not just a participation award.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:28 pm
There are way too many players that made all American. It waters down the meaning of the award. Absolutely no need for 4 and half pages of honorable mention all Americans. Call me old school but it should be 3 attack, 3 midfield, 3 defense, 1 lsm, 2 SSDM, 1 faceoff, 1 goalie for first, second, and third team.
May want to tell/pass that along to some of the old school coaches from their respective conferences and regions. :lol:

If you make first team all conference, in any conference, at any point in your career, then you have a shot at All-American
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Laxguy456

Post by Laxguy456 »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:40 pm
Lacrossefan25 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:18 pm What an absolutely clown show by the USILA… do the people that vote on this watch games??? Also kind of ridiculous to have 5 attackmen 4 middies and 4 defenseman slots for each team…. The all American list has become a participation award and it’s sad to see
The coaches nominate the players. The players are then voted on by the USILA staff. I doubt that the staff watches all of the games but I'm sure they watch many and are aware of the best players. There is no one on fanlax who watches all of the games. There are very few on Fanlax that know about most of these players. Take a guy like Dylan Mlinarich from North Central, who's to say he doesn't belong on the list. There are about 240 teams in D3 lacrosse with lets say an average of 40 kids on a team. That is 9,600 players. There are about 230 names on this list. So that is about 2.5% of all the players in D3. IMO that is not too many and it's not just a participation award.
Coaches nominate players from their own team? Or coaches from their conference nominate players from other teams?
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Think the list was reasonable for the most part. Was surprised Dowd got Midfielder of the year when he didn’t even lead his line in points. I guess you could say he was getting more attention from other defenses, but still interesting. I thought Andrew Cook would get it considering he dropped 100 points from the midfield while getting tons of attention and also getting picked up by the PLL. All 3 of those players are elite and a joy to watch.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Never understood having so much bloat for field players but still only one goalie/LSM/FOGO.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:02 pm Never understood having so much bloat for field players but still only one goalie/LSM/FOGO.
I would think it's probably because it is 3 Attack, 3 midfielders, 3 defensemen on the field at one time (usually) vs. one of each of those positions and why the numbers skew towards field players.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I wouldn’t say watered down but it is a lot of names. I am pretty sure people stop looking after the 3 teams. I bet the extra on teams at a position are because of ties in voting. I also think there is a committee of coaches that vote in their region and then a smaller committee develops the teams after the regional votes.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

This is a great take by JustOneTime to put the list in perspective. Division 3 lacrosse continues to grow, prosper and succeed in most cases. These are young men playing a sport they love while striving to earn a degree that will serve them in their adult life. To be in the top 2.5% is an accomplishment and all of these athletes and their families should be proud of them.
ergit

Post by ergit »

nevadajoe wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:29 am
This is a great take by JustOneTime to put the list in perspective. Division 3 lacrosse continues to grow, prosper and succeed in most cases. These are young men playing a sport they love while striving to earn a degree that will serve them in their adult life. To be in the top 2.5% is an accomplishment and all of these athletes and their families should be proud of them.
Agreed. To call an honorable mention a participation award is kind of insulting and misses the point. Not sure why so many get upset about recognition for student athletes as it is about them, not us after all.
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

ergit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 am
Agreed. To call an honorable mention a participation award is kind of insulting and misses the point. Not sure why so many get upset about recognition for student athletes as it is about them, not us after all.
Because they are not truly all Americans I bet you there are back ups and 2nd line guys at tufts, rit, salisbury, are better then guys who made HM all American…. For example only 1 d mid from Salisbury was all American. You’re telling me that the other two or three that play for them aren’t as good as guys who made “all American” from schools like st Mary’s, Roanoke, grove city and Elizabethtown.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:25 pm
ergit wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 am
Because they are not truly all Americans I bet you there are back ups and 2nd line guys at tufts, rit, salisbury, are better then guys who made HM all American…. For example only 1 d mid from Salisbury was all American. You’re telling me that the other two or three that play for them aren’t as good as guys who made “all American” from schools like st Mary’s, Roanoke, grove city and Elizabethtown.
Those others guys from Salisbury may be as good, they may not be. To be included on the list their coach has to nominate them. I doubt a coach is going to nominate their back ups / second line guys.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:23 pm
ah23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:02 pm Never understood having so much bloat for field players but still only one goalie/LSM/FOGO.
I would think it's probably because it is 3 Attack, 3 midfielders, 3 defensemen on the field at one time (usually) vs. one of each of those positions and why the numbers skew towards field players.
That's my point though...why don't the AA teams look like actual lineups? Lacrosse AA teams have ~20 spots each for a sport with 14 'starters' (3 A/M/D, 2 SSDM, 1 G/FOGO/LSM). I think it's the only sport I follow that expands it so much. Football AA teams have 11 (occasionally 12) guys on offense and defense broken down by position, basketball has 5 guys per team, baseball has an actual lineup/rotation/bullpen based on positions, etc.

Not the end of the world obviously, just wish the All-American Teams were actual lineups and the Honorable Mention lists continued to be a good way to highlight players around the country who had great seasons but didn't quite fit on one of the three AA Teams.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

JustOneTime wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:01 pm Not the end of the world obviously, just wish the All-American Teams were actual lineups and the Honorable Mention lists continued to be a good way to highlight players around the country who had great seasons but didn't quite fit on one of the three AA Teams.
While I take nothing away from the USILA All American's the IMLCA (coaches association) has been putting out All Region and All American teams for a few years now and many in the coaching world see those teams as a more prestigious honor. It's a far more exclusive team as you can see in the 2023 selections listed here:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ERICAN.pdf

2023 IMLCA All Region: https://www.imlcacoaches.com/diiihonors

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”