VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by Peter Brown »

As a Loyola fan, I’m hoping your team wins Monday. I think the two guys who are making the difference for you are actually two MIAA guys, Conrad and Rode.

I like your chances Monday.
New2lax

Post by New2lax »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 pm As a Loyola fan, I’m hoping your team wins Monday. I think the two guys who are making the difference for you are actually two MIAA guys, Conrad and Rode.

I don’t care who wins Monday...I’m just so happy that neither Duke nor Penn State will be there 🎉🎉 just an FYI #41 on Yale is an MIAA guy as well — Boys Latin.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 pm As a Loyola fan, I’m hoping your team wins Monday. I think the two guys who are making the difference for you are actually two MIAA guys, Conrad and Rode.

I'm an MIAA fan too, but obviously there are a bunch of guys 'making the difference'.

Thank goodness Rode had a good one today.
I think he'll need to have his best on Monday, given that they may face a lot of possessions.

I'm a lifelong UVA fan so not actually conflicted, but I'm also an Ivy fan, so am pleased to see Yale back on Monday.
BTW, couple of pretty good MIAA guys on attack for Yale, Morrill (McDonogh) and Brandau (Boy's Latin).
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

As a believer in the importance of leadership in any team, Laviano’s homage to Ryan Conrad in the embedded clip from the post-game press conference literally brought tears to my eyes. The culture in Hooville seems very strong.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nals/54664
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm an MIAA fan too, but obviously there are a bunch of guys 'making the difference'.

I think he'll need to have his best on Monday, given that they may face a lot of possessions.

I'm a lifelong UVA fan so not actually conflicted, but I'm also an Ivy fan, so am pleased to see Yale back on Monday.
BTW, couple of pretty good MIAA guys on attack for Yale, Morrill (McDonogh) and Brandau (Boy's Latin).

Agreed. I didn't write that post as clearly as I should have. What I meant was 'since the Loyola game' (my team) those two seem to me to be the two on UVA's team that have elevated their games much more than I would have expected. And that has made UVA much stronger as a result. Moore, Aitken, and Krauss were all solid in the Loyola game, but Rode was shelled and Conrad did not seem to be as effective as he is today. When looking at UVA's 'survival streak' over the last few weeks, Rode has been instrumental on keeping the games from being blown open, and Conrad has been everywhere on the field. The others I mentioned have been their normal stellar selves.

I will add one more thing about UVA. There's another kid siting on the sidelines who would start at any other D1 school today, not just next year, and that is Xander Dickson. I continue to be blown away by how many superstars sit on UVA's bench.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

As to stars sitting on the bench, the same can be said for Yale. Any of the players who have serious playing time at other schools. It's a question of loyalty + culture and academics over lacrosse.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:21 am

Agreed. I didn't write that post as clearly as I should have. What I meant was 'since the Loyola game' (my team) those two seem to me to be the two on UVA's team that have elevated their games much more than I would have expected. And that has made UVA much stronger as a result. Moore, Aitken, and Krauss were all solid in the Loyola game, but Rode was shelled and Conrad did not seem to be as effective as he is today. When looking at UVA's 'survival streak' over the last few weeks, Rode has been instrumental on keeping the games from being blown open, and Conrad has been everywhere on the field. The others I mentioned have been their normal stellar selves.

I will add one more thing about UVA. There's another kid siting on the sidelines who would start at any other D1 school today, not just next year, and that is Xander Dickson. I continue to be blown away by how many superstars sit on UVA's bench.
Not to be nit picky, but Rode was just 33% against UMD and 37.5% vs Robert Morris. Great game before that against ND, but brutal vs UNC.

I think Alex is much the same as always, erratic but terrific when he’s seeing the ball. Just hoping the latter is what happens tomorrow. I think Yale is going to get a ton of shots, so Alex has an opportunity to be major factor if ‘on’. Fingers crossed.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dox Aitken
PERSONAL
• Son of Mark and Patrice Aitken
• Father, Mark, played lacrosse at Lafayette
• Mother, Patrice, played lacrosse at Penn State
• Cousin Chris Aitken played lacrosse at Villanova
• Cousin Steve Aitken played lacrosse at Penn State
Uncle Scott Growney played in the NLL for the Philadelphia Wings
• Cousin Colton Growney played lacrosse at Williams, cousin Chase Growney played lacrosse at Trinity and cousin Scottie Rose Growney played lacrosse at North Carolina
• Cousin Reilly Masterson plays lacrosse at Penn State
• Uncle Steve Growney was an All-American lacrosse player at Franklin and Marshall
• Aunt, Doss Growney Masterson, played lacrosse at Lafayette
Uncle, Bob Aitken, played lacrosse at William & Mary
1976 All-State Team
Goal: Richard Shassian (Lower Merion); Dudek (Penn Charter)
Defense: John Montgomery (Harriton); Rod Roberts (Henderson); Alledi (Springfield); Barron (Germantown Academy); Nick Sommaripa (Penn Charter); Desimone (Haverford School).
Midfield: Mike Andris (Penn Charter); Smith (Haverford School); Scheuerle (Malvern); Lance Lauletta (Henderson); Joe Mailey (Abington); Mark Hamilton (Haverford High); Richie Fitch (West Chester East).
Attack: Ron Forster (Abington); Jay Foster (Abington); Bob Aitken (Penn Charter); Joe Happe (Penn Charter); Bodine (Haverford School)

1978 All-State Team
Goal: Tom Swift (Malvern); Lou Hamilton (Haverford High)
Defense: Steve Growney (Harriton); George Chou (Lower Merion); Rick Bedford (Penn Charter); Williams (Haverford School); Bill Monacelli (Henderson); Lipkin (Episcopal).
Midfield: Bruce Oswald (Abington); Drew Jones (Abington); Ward Steidle (Harriton); Horn (Hill School); Mark Howley (Malvern); Offner (Germantown Academy); Ernie Shapiro (Lower Merion); Hugh McGettigan (Malvern).
Attack: Peter Scott (Harriton); Mike Marone (Springfield); Gerald Ronon (Lower Merion); Cudlop (Hill School); Muskin (Germantown Academy); Tom Groshens (Penn Charter); Rob Egan (Penn Charter).
Bob Aitken is the guy I remember because he played with Joe Happe, who went on to play football at Georgia.
Scott Growney played at Harriton with all timer Peter Scott, Hopkins, AA, National Champ, 4 straight Finals.
So Dox has a pretty good lacrosse lineage.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Not to be nit picky, but Rode was just 33% against UMD and 37.5% vs Robert Morris. Great game before that against ND, but brutal vs UNC.

I think Alex is much the same as always, erratic but terrific when he’s seeing the ball. Just hoping the latter is what happens tomorrow. I think Yale is going to get a ton of shots, so Alex has an opportunity to be major factor if ‘on’. Fingers crossed.
With your background and focus on the position. Rode has played better as the season has gone along. Are you seeing improvements in his technique or is he just better with the old wrong technique?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Scarlet wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:08 pm As a believer in the importance of leadership in any team, Laviano’s homage to Ryan Conrad in the embedded clip from the post-game press conference literally brought tears to my eyes. The culture in Hooville seems very strong.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nals/54664
Laviano's words are spot on.Every time Conrad steps on the field good things usually happen.I've never had more respect for any UVA lacrosse player past or present.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Quiet, humble leaders who give credit and take blame are rare, especially at that age. That’s why he was elected twice to be a captain. Whoever hires (or has hired) Ryan Conrad will consider it one of the best decisions they ever made.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:21 pmLaviano's words are spot on.Every time Conrad steps on the field good things usually happen.I've never had more respect for any UVA lacrosse player past or present.
Beautiful. :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This team reminds me a lot of the 2003 team (that won it all). And, like Conrad, critical to that team was Billy Glading. So many great players including... Tillman. What people seem to be ignoring is that a hot goalie will make a big difference and UVA has two of them.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Tillman was a first name, not a last.;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

for some folk, the first name is common so you say their last name. for others...

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:26 pm

With your background and focus on the position. Rode has played better as the season has gone along. Are you seeing improvements in his technique or is he just better with the old wrong technique?
Actually, I'd say that Alex remains as erratic as ever. Brilliant at times, painfully flawed others (33% UMD). Better technique would reduce the down days and make the brilliant days even better. Terrific talent.

I wish I could say that Alex's technical issues have improved markedly, but they really haven't. I see some return to having his hands too close together, and he carries his stick too horizontally (making the windshield wiper a harder save) but most importantly he doesn't drive his bottom hand vertical on low shots. Instead he reaches with his top hand toward the direction of the ball, with the stick almost sideways on low shots. This allows too much space and doesn't bring the body behind the stick. By driving the bottom hand vertically, perpendicular, with a full presentation of the widest part of the stick low, the body naturally follows behind the movement. The body becomes a factor when the ball bounces above the stick..

I'd have him doing 'goalie sprints' constantly this summer, next fall and winter. Drill it until it's muscle memory. Then keep doing it.

But I wouldn't do anything until some distance from the season.

Today is all about the mind being positive.

What I saw immediately in the Duke game was that he was seeing the ball and attacking it. The first shot missed wide of the mark, but his attack brought him nearly to the top of the crease. Had the shot been on net, he'd have been all over it. The next shot was a high heater and he ate it up.

This is all mind set; and 'seeing the ball'. Hope he's 'on' today!

BTW, the technical issues I mention can be found with lots of fair and good goalies, certainly not unique to Alex.
He's just got more talent than most.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 MEN: If Virginia Wins, Don't Call it an Upset. http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/05/27/d1- ... -an-upset/
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Correction: Princeton's last championship was in 2001, not 1992 (that was their first of six).
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to Coach Tiffany and the Cavaliers—fantastic game in all respects. Worthy National Champs.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Que? Virginia beat Yale? No way. Quelle surprise! :o

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”