New England West 2025

HS Boys Lacrosse
justanotherperson

New England West 2025

Post by justanotherperson »

To paraphrase Monty Python, the 2024 season is 'Not quite dead yet" but I figure its never too early to start talking lacrosse for 2025 :lol:

Maybe its too early to make projections for next year, however, I wanted to throw out there, the # of graduating seniors and rising seniors (with commits) to see who is losing the most and who has a strong senior class (NEW1 only - rosters are hard of enough to find). This will obviously change with PG's and reclasses and D3 commitments that should shortly be coming out, but thought I would take a stab at it. Right out the gate, on paper, Salisbury looks STACKED! As always, my data collection is not always accurate so looking for corrections:

SCHOOL --- #GRADUATING SENIORS --- #RISING SENIORS (with commitments D1/D2/D3)

Avon Old Farms --- 14 Grads --- 11 rising seniors (4 D1 / 0 D2 / 0 D3)
Berkshire --- 7 --- 9 (2 / 0 / 0)
Brunswick --- 14 --- 9 (3 / 0 / 0)
Choate --- 10 --- 9 (3 / 0 / 0)
Deerfield --- 19 --- 9 (6 / 0 / 0)
Hotchkiss --- 14 --- 9 (1 / 0 /0)
Kent --- 7 --- 9 (0 / 0 / 0)
Loomis --- 16 --- 7 (3 / 0 / 0)
Northfield Mount Hermon --- 6 --- 16 (0 / 0 / 0)
Salisbury --- 13 --- 19 (8 / 0 / 0)
Taft --- 18 --- 11 (5 / 0 / 0)
Trinity Pawling --- 20 --- 9 (4 / 0 / 0)
Westminster --- 14 --- 7 (1 / 0 / 0)
justanotherperson

Re: New England West 2025

Not going to start a "Coaching Carousel" thread for NEW1 but Kent School apparently is looking for a Head Coach. Very curious the direction they are going in and what kind of support they will get.

Ok enough posts. Back to work...
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

The revolving door at Kent continues....
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

My thoughts:

For years NEWest1 had a big 3. 'wick, DA, and 'bury.

Recently, Taft rose above DA, but DA didn't fall out of favor. Maybe Taft replaced DA last year in the Big 3.

Last season there were either the big 3 or the Big 4, but DA was doing what they do every year and getting better and better by leaps and bounds, Taft was really good but struggling, and Loomis had fielded an epic team.

On top of that, Choate and AOF both had the horses but by the end of their season they were playing lax like a real team, not like a summer club squad.

So NEWest1 has 'wick bidding for (and playing a schedule for) a national championship, DA, Loomis, and Taft making it clear that they'd be a favorite in any game except against the top 2 in MIAA, top 2 in IAC, some Jersey squads, and the NY catholic top 2.Those would be pick 'ems.

Salisbury fell off the charts but the talent and coaching was and will continue to be there. That's 5.

AOF has always had an All Star squad but they played like a club team. Lots of 1-on-1 flashy and epic checks but they end up losing the game. With their new coach, there seems to be a chance for AOF to move up from a NC contender on paper only to a real game winner. Six

Choate seems to be taking Lax seriously. Finally. If they want to compete in the league they've been in for a century, they need the kids and the coach and the program. They're obviously doing this. Seven.

Can you name me another league that has seven teams that can regularly defeat Choate? Let alone AOF, 'bury, Taft, DA, Loomis, and 'wick?

Our # 8 is Trinity Pawling. they have 8 D1 recruits and 7 D3 recruits, and a great coach and a successful program. Maybe they're 7, or even 6. Depends on the year.

This league is competitive.

MIAA? The top 2 or 3 every year can compete with the NEWest1 seven, but I submit that 7 on 7 in late April would favor NEWest1.

IAC? NJ Privates? Philly Privates? Any league on Long Island? Upstate NY? ISL? Anyone have 7 deep?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Not trying to kick off WW3 here, but West 1 isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to any other league because of the PGs. Obviously they'd still have great teams without them. Wick is a testament to that. But give the MIAA teams another 3-5 19 year olds on a scale of NESCAC to ACC recruits, and I think the 7th team would be pretty great.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:09 pm Not trying to kick off WW3 here, but West 1 isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to any other league because of the PGs. Obviously they'd still have great teams without them. Wick is a testament to that. But give the MIAA teams another 3-5 19 year olds on a scale of NESCAC to ACC recruits, and I think the 7th team would be pretty great.
The MIAA teams have 3-5 19 year olds on their roster every year -- they're just reclasses instead of PGs. McCabe Millon was 19 at the start of his senior season, and he's far from the oldest kid you'll find on any MIAA roster at any given time. The only private schools that aren't stacked with kids older than their grades are the LI Catholics.

Having said all that, people in this thread are kidding themselves if they think the 7th best MIAA team can't beat the 7th best NEW-1 team. St. Paul's was the 7th best team this year and they took down Landon, who was as good or better than any NEW-1 team this year save Brunswick. They'd take the majority vs. Choate and AOF (who exactly did Choate beat this year?).
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

All private schools these days (excluding the LI Catholics) have reclassed players. That is why I said "another 3-5 19 year olds". West 1 schools already have reclassed students (like ISL, MIAA, etc.) and then add the PGs on top of that, which means they never have "young" teams or down senior classes.
Run2theEL

Post by Run2theEL »

random observer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:43 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:09 pm Not trying to kick off WW3 here, but West 1 isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to any other league because of the PGs. Obviously they'd still have great teams without them. Wick is a testament to that. But give the MIAA teams another 3-5 19 year olds on a scale of NESCAC to ACC recruits, and I think the 7th team would be pretty great.
The MIAA teams have 3-5 19 year olds on their roster every year -- they're just reclasses instead of PGs. McCabe Millon was 19 at the start of his senior season, and he's far from the oldest kid you'll find on any MIAA roster at any given time. The only private schools that aren't stacked with kids older than their grades are the LI Catholics.

Having said all that, people in this thread are kidding themselves if they think the 7th best MIAA team can't beat the 7th best NEW-1 team. St. Paul's was the 7th best team this year and they took down Landon, who was as good or better than any NEW-1 team this year save Brunswick. They'd take the majority vs. Choate and AOF (who exactly did Choate beat this year?).
For the first time in a long time, maybe ever, it seems like West I has over taken MIAA as the top league in the country. With the emergence of Taft, and now Loomis, on the national seen, the depth of the league is just stronger overall. While off season tournaments don’t count for anything, Loomis has beaten St. Paul’s handily in two recent NHSLS tournaments. Even Hotchkiss beat them 12-4 this fall. Choate played Landon to a one goal game in the fall. St. Paul’s has fallen off the map a bit and without that win over Landon, would’ve had a pretty sub par year. The big three in the MIAA are still there (and maybe Spalding is a fourth), but the depth of the league has dropped off significantly, whereas the depth in West I has really grown. St Paul’s lost to St. Ignatious this year. While there’s no Chrystal ball, I have a hard time seeing Choate lose to that team.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Run2theEL wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:00 am
random observer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:43 am

For the first time in a long time, maybe ever, it seems like West I has over taken MIAA as the top league in the country. With the emergence of Taft, and now Loomis, on the national seen, the depth of the league is just stronger overall. While off season tournaments don’t count for anything, Loomis has beaten St. Paul’s handily in two recent NHSLS tournaments. Even Hotchkiss beat them 12-4 this fall. Choate played Landon to a one goal game in the fall. St. Paul’s has fallen off the map a bit and without that win over Landon, would’ve had a pretty sub par year. The big three in the MIAA are still there (and maybe Spalding is a fourth), but the depth of the league has dropped off significantly, whereas the depth in West I has really grown. St Paul’s lost to St. Ignatious this year. While there’s no Chrystal ball, I have a hard time seeing Choate lose to that team.
I don't disagree that the MIAA has fallen significantly from its perch, and NEW-1 has closed the gap. Although I have a different take on where it has weakened. Depth is not the issue in the MIAA; it's still the deepest league. St. Mary's was near the bottom of the conference this year and they took Salesianum to OT (the same Salesianum that is top 10 in the nation and took Lawrenceville to OT). The issue is that there are fewer teams that are genuine top 10-15 in the country.

Regardless, NEW-1 and the MIAA are the two deepest leagues in the country and more or less 1A/1B now. That being said, you are overstating NEW-1's strength IMO. Outside of Brunswick I wouldn't say the league had a superlative OOC run. Taft in particular was underwhelming OOC, losing to a very down St. John's team and just squeaking by Kiski Prep.

Also your assessment of St. Ignatius is very uninformed; IMO they were better than Choate this year, and they have unquestionably been a better program over the past 20 years. I'm not sure what Choate did to garner such esteem this season -- surely it wasn't squeaking by the worst Salisbury team in probably two decades. Obviously my judgment on this is as subjective as anyone's, but Laxnumbers (not a perfect system, but their ratings have a logical algorithm and generally pass the smell test to my eyes) has St. Ignatius as a 4 goal favorite over Choate.

Lastly, I put less than zero stock into scrimmages, or summer and fall tournaments. It's not an apples-to-apples game environment, and there's really no way of knowing which squads are at full strength. I've seen the brackets for those summer NHSLS tournaments, and while they are fun to follow, they usually don't bear out as an accurate prediction of the following high school season.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:18 pm My thoughts:

Recently, Taft rose above DA, but DA didn't fall out of favor. Maybe Taft replaced DA last year in the Big 3.

Last season there were either the big 3 or the Big 4, but DA was doing what they do every year and getting better and better by leaps and bounds, Taft was really good but struggling, and Loomis had fielded an epic team.

On top of that, Choate and AOF both had the horses but by the end of their season they were playing lax like a real team, not like a summer club squad.

So NEWest1 has 'wick bidding for (and playing a schedule for) a national championship, DA, Loomis, and Taft making it clear that they'd be a favorite in any game except against the top 2 in MIAA, top 2 in IAC, some Jersey squads, and the NY catholic top 2.Those would be pick 'ems.

Salisbury fell off the charts but the talent and coaching was and will continue to be there. That's 5.

AOF has always had an All Star squad but they played like a club team. Lots of 1-on-1 flashy and epic checks but they end up losing the game. With their new coach, there seems to be a chance for AOF to move up from a NC contender on paper only to a real game winner. Six

Choate seems to be taking Lax seriously. Finally. If they want to compete in the league they've been in for a century, they need the kids and the coach and the program. They're obviously doing this. Seven.

Can you name me another league that has seven teams that can regularly defeat Choate? Let alone AOF, 'bury, Taft, DA, Loomis, and 'wick?

Our # 8 is Trinity Pawling. they have 8 D1 recruits and 7 D3 recruits, and a great coach and a successful program. Maybe they're 7, or even 6. Depends on the year.

MIAA? The top 2 or 3 every year can compete with the NEWest1 seven, but I submit that 7 on 7 in late April would favor NEWest1.

IAC? NJ Privates? Philly Privates? Any league on Long Island? Upstate NY? ISL? Anyone have 7 deep?
I appreciate all of the work you put into coverage of New England lacrosse. Just wanted to provide a different perspective from Eastern Mass. You asked: "Can you name me another league that has seven teams that can regularly defeat Choate? Let alone AOF, 'bury, Taft, DA, Loomis, and 'wick?" Respectfully, you seemed to look past the ISL. The #9 team in the ISL (Tabor) beat AOF 13-8 and you rank AOF ahead of Choate. (And I think your math is a little off -- you only need six teams to beat Choate to move ahead of them in your head-to-head league comparison.)

It's also hard to claim that Wick, DA, Loomis, and Taft would all "be a favorite in any game except against the top 2 in MIAA, top 2 in IAC, some Jersey squads, and the NY catholic top 2." Belmont HIll actually beat Deerfield and is ranked 8 spots ahead of Taft in the IL poll, so the ISL squad would be a favorite in those games.

Just as Canada resents being called America's Touque, ISL fans don't agree that good lacrosse begins in Baltimore and ends in Western Mass. 8-)
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Even though West 1 has gotten better, the gap with the ISL has closed considerably. Dating myself here, but I played in the East-West game back in the day and our East team (85% ISL kids) did not belong on the same field as the West team. If they brought that game back now I think it'd be really close - especially if you add in the NH and non-ISL emass privates. MA has gone from and also ran to just below hotbed status in lacrosse.

Always gonna be a bit of a gap though imo. West 1 schools are just a bit bigger, and with such curated student bodies at this point 20-30 more boys per class makes a difference. Plus the PGs. That's why you rarely see an ISL team win the Class A soccer tournament, Elite Eight hockey tournament, and the top ISL football team usually has a pretty rough go against the 3rd best CT school in their NEPSAC Bowl game.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

All-NEPSAC teams have been posted: https://assets-rst7.rschooltoday.com/rs ... crosse.pdf. It's a mystery to me how NMH and T-P can have the same number of first team players - three - as 'wick, LC and Belmont Hill.
Finish Strong
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

One of the advantages of having a PG option for the NEWest schools vs the day school re-classed kids, is that boarding schools can go “shopping” for a high level, D1 commit to meet the needs of the upcoming season.

You need a lefty attack man? Let's go grab a 5 Star, UNC commit, who needs to be “parked” for a year before arriving at Chapel Hill.

The re-classed 9th grader may be good but you have no clue if he is NESCAC good or ACC good. The PG is a known entity prior to arriving on campus & that is a huge advantage in my opinion.
justanotherperson

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:05 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:18 pm My thoughts:

I appreciate all of the work you put into coverage of New England lacrosse. Just wanted to provide a different perspective from Eastern Mass. You asked: "Can you name me another league that has seven teams that can regularly defeat Choate? Let alone AOF, 'bury, Taft, DA, Loomis, and 'wick?" Respectfully, you seemed to look past the ISL. The #9 team in the ISL (Tabor) beat AOF 13-8 and you rank AOF ahead of Choate. (And I think your math is a little off -- you only need six teams to beat Choate to move ahead of them in your head-to-head league comparison.)

It's also hard to claim that Wick, DA, Loomis, and Taft would all "be a favorite in any game except against the top 2 in MIAA, top 2 in IAC, some Jersey squads, and the NY catholic top 2." Belmont HIll actually beat Deerfield and is ranked 8 spots ahead of Taft in the IL poll, so the ISL squad would be a favorite in those games.

Just as Canada resents being called America's Touque, ISL fans don't agree that good lacrosse begins in Baltimore and ends in Western Mass. 8-)
Looking at the debate about how good NEW1 is vs the rest of the country reminds me of the NESCAC vs rest of the country threads but with a lot less trolling :D . I will continue to believe that even though I am Northeast homer, I do think the balance of lacrosse power has shifted south to Maryland/ DC and West to Pennsylvania. But using laxnumbers as a reference, and comparing MD v PA v NEW1 v ISL v DC, lets look at the numbers.

I threw out anything below 386 because anything else with throw off the numbers
- PA - IAC has 5 teams with avg ranking: 146.4 (all 6 teams added = 310). 4 teams in the top 125. 3 in the top 50
- MD - MIAA has 10 teams with avg ranking of 46.1 (no teams below 175). 10 teams in the top 125. 7 in the top 50
- DC - IAC & WCAC has 11 teams with avg ranking of 120.4 (all 14 teams = 301). 8 teams in the top 125. 5 in the top 50
- NEW1 has 11 teams with avg ranking of 58.6 (all 12 teams = 275). 11 teams in the top 125. 5 in the top 50.
- ISL has 12 teams with avg ranking of 148.8 (all 16 teams = 260). 7 teams in the top 125. 2 in the top 50 (none until 31).

Feel free to draw your own conclusions but I feel the MIAA and NEW1 are very close and the others are not as close. PA / DC / NEW1 overall are hurt by some bad teams at the bottom but DC / ISL are very top heavy and bottom heavy with MIAA and NEW1 much more well rounded as a conference. That being said, the ISL is no doubt still a power conference and I would love to see more cross conference games.

2. Malvern Prep (PA - IAC)
4. McDonough (MD - MIAA)
6. Wick (CT - NEW1)
7. Boys Latin (MD - MIAA)
8. Haverford School (PA - IAC)
11. Landon (DC - IAC)
12. Gilman (MD - MIAA)
13. Archbishop Spalding (MD - MIAA)
14. Loomis (CT - NEW1)
15. Deerfield (MA - NEW1)
16. Calvert Hall (MD - MIAA)
21. Taft (CT - NEW1)
23. Loyola Blakefield (MD - MIAA)
25. Gonzaga (DC - WCAC)
26. Bullis (DC - IAC)
30. Georgetown Prep (DC - IAC)

31. Belmont Hill (ISL)
32. Salisbury (CT -NEW1)
37. St Sebs (ISL)
41. St Johns College HS (DC - WCAC)
43. St Pauls (MD - MIAA)
45. Springside Chestnut Hill (PA - IAC)
52. Episcopal Academy (PA - IAC)
58. St Marys Annapolis (MD - MIAA)
61. TP (NY - NEW1)
62. Severn (MD - MIAA)
66. Good Counsel (DC - WCAC)
68. Choate (CT - NEW1)
71. Mount St Joseph (MD - MIAA)
78. Nobles (ISL)
93. Middlesex (ISL)

94. AOF (CT - NEW1)
103. Roxbury Latin (ISL)
105. Hotchkiss (CT - NEW1)
107. Berkshire (MA - NEW1)

108. Paul VI (DC - WCAC)
115. Governors (ISL)
117. Tabor (ISL)

122. Westminster (CT - NEW1)
123. DeMatha (DC - WCAC)
129. Thayer (ISL)
131. Milton (ISL)

175. John Carroll (MD - MIAA)
197. Penn Charter (PA - IAC)
200. Episcopal (DC - IAC)
209. St. Albans (DC - IAC)

230. Rivers (ISL)
248. Heights (DC - WCAC)
332 St Marys Ryken (DC - WCAC)

335. Groton (ISL)
386. BBN (ISL)

362. St Stephen-St Agnes (DC IAC)
539. St Georges (ISL)
553. Lawrence (ISL)
589. St Marks (ISL)
696. Brooks (ISL)

807 Bishop Ireton (DC - WCAC)
814. NMH (MA - NEW1)
1127. Germantown Academy (PA - IAC)
1266. Bishop O' Connell (DC - WCAC)
1903. Kent School (CT - NEW1)
2142. Bishop McNamara (DC - WCAC)
justanotherperson

Part Deux of East v West: looking at any any Eastern Mass/NH/RI v Western Mass / CT / East NY results

Regarding Tabor beating AOF (which is one my "home" teams along with Westy, Loomis, Taft and Choate), AOF was mixing and matching their goalies with different defensive personnel and would alternate them throughout the season. The defense was settled by their 4th game but the goalies kept being alternated of which there was better one (Hill, Deerfield, Choate wins) vs the other goalie (losses to Tabor, Belmont, Hotckiss, TP). If they played again, I have no doubt AOF would beat Tabor in a close game. AOF would not beat Belmont though.

Hard to draw conclusions from the data below but it was almost all chalk with the only "upsets" being: BH>DField, Tabor>AOF, Berkshire>Andover, Cheshire Academy>Austin Prep

East wins:
Belmont Hill (#31) beat Deerfield (#15) 13-12
Belmont Hill (#31) beat AOF (#94) 13-6
Belmont Hill (#37) beat Westy (#122) 13-7
Phillips Andover (#99) beat Hotchkiss (#105) 9-7
Phillips Andover (#99) beat Pomfret (#606) 27-8
Tabor (#117) beat AOF (#94) 13-8
Phillips Exeter (#139) beat Pomfret (#606) 10-6
Phillips Exeter (#139) beat NMH (#813) 17-4
Kimball Union (#222) beat NMH (#814) 13-9
Rivers (#230) beat Williston (#771) 12-4
Cushing (#258) beat Wilbraham (#682) 17-4
Cushing (#258) beat NMH (#814) 7-4
Portsmouth Abbey (#261) beat Pomfret (#606) 17-6
Portsmouth Abbey (#261) beat Canterbury (#979) 17-9
St Pauls (#314) beat Pomfret (#606) 14-9
St Pauls (#314) beat NMH (#814) 14-2
Dexter (#371) beat Pomfret (#606) 11-4
Dexter (#371) beat Williston (#813) 13-8
St Georges (#539) beat Pomfret (#606) 9-7
Worcester (#1452) beat Suffield Academy (#1707) 16-13

West Wins:
Wick (#6) beat St Sebs (#37) 12-1
Loomis (#14) beat Phillips Andover (#99) 19-11
Loomis (#14) beat Phillips Exeter (#139) 17-6
Loomis (#14) beat Govs (#115) 14-8
Deerfield (#15) beat Nobles (#78) 14-8
Deerfield (#15) beat Phillips Andover (#99) 23-4
Deerfield (#15) beat Phillips Exeter (#139) 9-6
Taft (#21) beat St Sebs (#37) 16-13
Salisbury (#32) beat Nobles (#78) 11-6
Salisbury (#32) beat Lawrence Academy (#553) 14-7
Choate (#68) beat Phillips Andover (#99) 15-10
Berkshire (#107) beat Phillips Andover (#99) 18-7
Berkshire (#107) beat Cushing (#258) 8-7
Millbrook (#183) beat Worcester (#1452) 17-3
Albany Academy (#334) beat Austin Prep (#1288) 22-4
Albany Academy (#334) beat Worcester (#1452) 16-0
King School (#475) beat Winchendon (#1081) 7-3
Pomfret (#606) beat Moses Brown (#1103) 13-9
Pomfret (#606) beat Austin Prep (#1288) 14-5
Wilbraham (#682) beat Winchendon (#1081) 13-9
Wilbraham (#682) beat Worcester (#1452) 5-3
NMH (#813) beat Winchendon (#1081) 12-7
NMH (#814) beat Austin Prep (#1288) 5-4
MNH (#814) beat Worcester (#1452) 13-5
Hamden Hall (#1207) beat Worcester (#1452) 16-13
Cheshire Academy (#1713) beat Austin Prep (#1288) 13-6
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

As we move into the summer months, those with ears-to-the-tracks should start to hear about Freshman Phenoms joining our league, as well as transfers from the Public Ranks and from other Private Leagues. Taft, IIRC, did particularly well with ISL transfers and PG's last season.

Has anyone heard any nuggets?
another fan

Post by another fan »

Rowyn Nurry, Salesianum A and Cornell commit-- PG at Loomis:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... AYKj4,st:0
justanotherperson

Thanks AF for that nugget. Everyone, keep submitting nuggets!. There are a few unconfirmed nuggets and roster additions so will wait until they become more official but it will come time to start another NEW1 Transfer Portal" thread. I believe Kent has also narrowed down their candidates.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Jacob Thibodeau - Att - Middlesex School to Choate for a PG year. 2x Honorable Mention All-ISL and put up 40g, 25a this spring. Very quick lefty who's crafty in tight. Undersized so my guess is he ends up tearing it up for a high academic D3, but wouldn't be surprised to see him go D1 either.
Superlite

Post by Superlite »

I believe his is a ‘25 so maybe transferring and repeating? The Middlesex coach is leaving after a long career there.

Very good player

quote=Laxxal22 post_id=562127 time=1717944221 user_id=422]
Jacob Thibodeau - Att - Middlesex School to Choate for a PG year. 2x Honorable Mention All-ISL and put up 40g, 25a this spring. Very quick lefty who's crafty in tight. Undersized so my guess is he ends up tearing it up for a high academic D3, but wouldn't be surprised to see him go D1 either.
[/quote]

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”