Interested in hearing opinions on why Torpey left HP for Brown

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10 10 2

Re: Interested in hearing opinions on why Torpey left HP for Brown

Post by 10 10 2 »

Brown certainly has a higher ceiling than High Point. Ivy League is also a great place to move up to if you have aspirations to coach at one of the even bigger ACC/Big 10 programs. A number of HC positions in those leagues could be opening up in the next few years (OSU, UNC, Notre Dame, Duke). Torpey could be in a good position for one of those jobs if he does well at Brown.
morelaxplease

Post by morelaxplease »

No one has yet mentioned the alumni network at Brown (or if they did I missed it). Ready to help, support, mentor guys, help with jobs, will show up at games, will have great tailgates. Long tradition of support — through ups and downs. I’m looking forward to more ups. Welcome Coach Torpey. Go Bruno.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Money.

-Fin-
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NNELax wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:07 am Money.

-Fin-
https://youtu.be/4ke5eSys09g?si=DE2Gvm_EXHVkHYZ4
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 pm
laxpert wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:35 pm Forbes financial grade for HP, C with an endowment of around 200 million for 5,000 students.
Forbes financial grade for Brown, A+ with an endowment of 6.6 billion for 9,000 students.

Translates to more stable environment in terms of budgets, salaries, financial aid, etc.
You want to learn about High Point? The school is currently in danger of losing it accreditation.

This rather long article will tell you all you need to know about this school for rich kids:

https://www.theassemblync.com/education ... niversity/
I am skeptical of the value of an HPU degree and of the long term viability of HPU….but to be fair to Nido and his country club, they’ve been predicting the end of HPU for 15 years and it still hasn’t happened. He might just be defying the odds.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:09 pm
laxpert wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:35 pm Forbes financial grade for HP, C with an endowment of around 200 million for 5,000 students.
Forbes financial grade for Brown, A+ with an endowment of 6.6 billion for 9,000 students.

Translates to more stable environment in terms of budgets, salaries, financial aid, etc.
You want to learn about High Point? The school is currently in danger of losing it accreditation.

This rather long article will tell you all you need to know about this school for rich kids:

I am skeptical of the value of an HPU degree and of the long term viability of HPU….but to be fair to Nido and his country club, they’ve been predicting the end of HPU for 15 years and it still hasn’t happened. He might just be defying the odds.
15yrs you say? What’s interesting about that is there’s about 15yrs of unprecedented macro policy like even academics couldn’t have predicted int
He abstract let alone reality. So if I looks at 15yrs of the ten year is treasury rate which is what he borrowed a lot of money off of as in index in the municipal debt markets it’s interesting to overlap with many folks success especially ones relying on leverage.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DGS10

And as I’m not persuaded by one data point let me look at excess reserves held at the Fed which is common proxy for supply of money.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/TOTRESNS

This isn’t finance it’s physics that if you ride a high collector or volatility situation by levering up and then there’s a hard stop it’s usually not good. But there’s this thing called latency which many don’t understand.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:24 pm

15yrs you say? What’s interesting about that is there’s about 15yrs of unprecedented macro policy like even academics couldn’t have predicted int
He abstract let alone reality. So if I looks at 15yrs of the ten year is treasury rate which is what he borrowed a lot of money off of as in index in the municipal debt markets it’s interesting to overlap with many folks success especially ones relying on leverage.

And as I’m not persuaded by one data point let me look at excess reserves held at the Fed which is common proxy for supply of money.

This isn’t finance it’s physics that if you ride a high collector or volatility situation by levering up and then there’s a hard stop it’s usually not good. But there’s this thing called latency which many don’t understand.

Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most ….
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

In his introductory zoom meeting with Brown alums JT recounted inspiration at every stage of his career from Brown lax alums or former Brown coaches - Stalfort, Caravana, Breschi, Towers, Munro, Starsia, et. al. ……will attempt to bring up members of his HP staff …..said all he needs to succeed are great players behind the cage, in front of the cage, at face off and in the cage - like Brown’s up the middle 2016 edition ……….very impatient he said …..no hobbies….will take several years to build back the program ….all about recruiting ….players will create their own identity next spring …..too early to report any schedule changes - will maintain its geographical theme but will call upon coaching buddies to land games…..needs help in landing a residence in a very tight RI housing market ….AD tabs him an All Star……said he wanted a challenge …AD raved about his unheard of soph year captaincy at Ohio State and his humility …he checked off all the qualities wanted - a leader, teacher, communicator, collaborator, representative, and winner…..
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

And a flaky recruiting communicator.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I’ll sit back and wait to see how Torpey does at Brown. 87wins 86 losses in 12 years at High Point. Not bad.

But I think his greatest achievement was having a roster of 75 players last year, 62 whom paid full-boat tuition at a resort college in the foothills of North Carolina.

At $67k for tuition and living expenses he added around $4.2million to the HPU coffers. That is excellent work in my opinion. Amazing that he could convince that many parents to pony up that much cash for a sideline pass for their sons to watch D1 lacrosse up close.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

^^^^ underrated post.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Henpecked wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:34 am I’ll sit back and wait to see how Torpey does at Brown. 87wins 86 losses in 12 years at High Point. Not bad.

But I think his greatest achievement was having a roster of 75 players last year, 62 whom paid full-boat tuition at a resort college in the foothills of North Carolina.

At $67k for tuition and living expenses he added around $4.2million to the HPU coffers. That is excellent work in my opinion. Amazing that he could convince that many parents to pony up that much cash for a sideline pass for their sons to watch D1 lacrosse up close.

“Haters gonna hate”. Didnt He beat Duke and UNC as two of those wins and built a program out of nothing? A little context please.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

HP is the Disneyland of American higher education. I'm happy for Mr. Torpey and wish him well. This is a big career step up for him.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

IvyBrown wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:34 am
Henpecked wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:34 am I’ll sit back and wait to see how Torpey does at Brown. 87wins 86 losses in 12 years at High Point. Not bad.

“Haters gonna hate”. Didnt He beat Duke and UNC as two of those wins and built a program out of nothing? A little context please.
During his tenure:

He beat Duke…at Duke.
He beat UVA…at UVA.
He beat UNC….at UNC.

Can you tell me any other non BCS start ups who’ve had those types of wins over the past 10-15 years? I’ll wait.

Even their rival at Richmond didn’t have those marquis wins.

JT did a lot with a little at HPU. He developed talent there. While HPU is a country club aesthetically, it is a subpar institution (at best) academically. The fact he could succeed in a sport with one of the highest graduation rates and academic profiles in college athletics is impressive.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:51 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:24 pm

Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most ….
…Dopest bars KRS One ever heard and he’s dropping stuff like this 10-15yrs older than I

https://youtu.be/leIPcLQK8IY?si=ZeT9Wt9Cmo3t5YGg

The goat with all due respect to Jay, Black Thought, PAC and Cube.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Counselor wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 pm In his introductory zoom meeting with Brown alums JT recounted inspiration at every stage of his career from Brown lax alums or former Brown coaches - Stalfort, Caravana, Breschi, Towers, Munro, Starsia, et. al. ……will attempt to bring up members of his HP staff …..said all he needs to succeed are great players behind the cage, in front of the cage, at face off and in the cage - like Brown’s up the middle 2016 edition ……….very impatient he said …..no hobbies….will take several years to build back the program ….all about recruiting ….players will create their own identity next spring …..too early to report any schedule changes - will maintain its geographical theme but will call upon coaching buddies to land games…..needs help in landing a residence in a very tight RI housing market ….AD tabs him an All Star……said he wanted a challenge …AD raved about his unheard of soph year captaincy at Ohio State and his humility …he checked off all the qualities wanted - a leader, teacher, communicator, collaborator, representative, and winner…..
Have him commute from a haunted town nearby whether Pawtucket or E CT of a busted mill town like Fall River. Most folks in the triad area commute 20mi commonly or more.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:20 am ^^^^ underrated post.
Except it misses important things. The $4.2mm is nonsense and for a levered institution the opportunity cost of getting better students in who could donate more in the future with aid dollars that are finite.

Why use hard numbers when it’s wrong and inaccurate? Foothills suggests it’s close to The mountains but that’s more hickey and blowing rock not tired area. Still a good long ride to the Shenandoah valley /blue ridge area.

Is success a slam dunk and is HPU wildly different? No and yes. But importing intention and related when not known is specious and using hard numbers that everyone knows is not accurate is silly.

Of course nobody knows how he will do. And most folks get HPU is a higher ed bubble waiting to pop grown and run by a huckster. But that doesn’t mean Toroey can’t adapt and be successful. Who’s doing better than Torpey both standing uo a program and getting to a long term .500?

Again he stood the program up. For anyone who’s never setup a LOB or run a business from scratch, I can’t imagine one can possibly understand what that means.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 am

During his tenure:

He beat Duke…at Duke.
He beat UVA…at UVA.
He beat UNC….at UNC.

Can you tell me any other non BCS start ups who’ve had those types of wins over the past 10-15 years? I’ll wait.

Even their rival at Richmond didn’t have those marquis wins.

JT did a lot with a little at HPU. He developed talent there. While HPU is a country club aesthetically, it is a subpar institution (at best) academically. The fact he could succeed in a sport with one of the highest graduation rates and academic profiles in college athletics is impressive.
Just never figured out D which will be key. And often he strong FOs.

But a high voo coach look at the wins and losses this year. He needs to figure out a D
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I was not remotely criticizing Torpey with this statement. I was suggesting that he might be the greatest recruiter of all time. If he can recruit that many kids to a less-than-stellar academic university that is notorious for not giving financial support to anyone attending, he should do extremely well attracting serious students to a great academic institution like Brown. He must have done something right at the kitchen table with those parents.

As far as beating Duke, maybe I am suffering from recency bias since that win over the Blue Devils was in 2019. In the next five matchups HPU lost 21-9 ('24), 20-8 ('23), 18-14 ('22), 27-8 ('21) amd 19-8 ('20). That's a cumulative 105-47 score. Not exactly knocking on the door. Again, I think Torpey will do great at Brown. Great recruiter and offensive coach.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

We have a winner!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”