CU88a

CORNELL 2025

Post by CU88a »

A fresh start, by looking at an incoming goalie Timmy Piacentini

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... e_vignette
coda

Re: CORNELL 2025

Post by coda »

CU88a wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:38 pm A fresh start, by looking at an incoming goalie Timmy Piacentini

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... e_vignette
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7M0jY_R ... 55eWJjaQ==

That is a better watch
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Looking at the 2024 roster, I count 23 Seniors, Fifth-years, and (even) Sixth-years. I know Kirst (a Senior) said he'll be back next year and Blake (Duke) & Wirtheim (UNC) are transferring elsewhere. But what about the remaining 20 >=Seniors?

Who else among the other 20 >=Seniors will be back in 2025?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

This is from the Cornell 2024 thread:
coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:52 pm
laxjuris wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:19 pm
coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 pm If any Cornell fans watched the defacto NC game between Lawrenceville and Brunswick, you have to be foaming at the mouth to see Piacentini in the cage as Shoellkpof field. The best player for 2 years on back to back NC teams. I'll be shocked if he isnt a monster in college.

(if you havent seen him, go to youtube now)
With Knust a rising senior and Tully a rising sophomore, it will be interesting how the goalie situation shakes out next year. Knust certainly has the inside track to start based on his game experience and overall performance the 2nd half of the season, but neither Tully nor Piacentini can be counted out.
Interesting thing about Piacentini is how good he is in the 10 man ride. Adds a different element to the game
Unless there are terrible injuries, as was the case this year, it seems we will be loaded next year in the two most important positions: FOGO & GK.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Ezra White wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:45 pm Looking at the 2024 roster, I count 23 Seniors, Fifth-years, and (even) Sixth-years. I know Kirst (a Senior) said he'll be back next year and Blake (Duke) & Wirtheim (UNC) are transferring elsewhere. But what about the remaining 20 >=Seniors?

My understanding from this board and looking at the senior day picture to see who is graduating, the main losses are Wirtheim (first M line), Follows (starting close D), Blake (SSDM) Psyllos and Petrakis (FOGO). Some role players leaving are Boccafola (SSDM who got some time in 9 games this season ), Piatelli (A - started for Long last season, but played sparingly in 24), Ablation (transfer A who played sparingly in 23 and 24) and Lombardi (M whose career was unfortunately derailed by injuries).

Most of the starting players are returning:

Attack
Kirst
Long
Goldstein
Cadigan

Midfield
Kelleher
Firth
Nikolic
Sheehan
Dalton
Holmes

SSDM
Davis
Gilmartin
Box
Bozzi

Defense

Staub
Singer
Dooley
Wallace
Rayhill

Goal
Knust
Tully

FoGo
Cascadden
Ricci

There are some underclassman on the roster who undoubtedly will get a shot to take one of the open midfield and defense slots.

Cornell also has a number of 4 star recruits coming in 24/25 including Attack Jack Herendeen (Victor) , Goalie Tim Piacentini (Lawrencville) Defensemen Beck Mahoney (Cathedral), Michale Marshall (Westfield) and Cooper Simpson (St Francis De Sales High School), and Michael Melkonian - a top FoGo (South Side) plus Middie Luke Robinson (Trinity Pawling).

So, yes, Cornell is returning a stacked roster with key losses at one midfield spot and 1 close defense as well as FoGo depth. The entire attack, which was one of the top units in the country, returns. Five of the top offensive middies return (six if you count Gilmartin who shined late in the season as a defensive middle and scoring threat). They lost one close D-man with everyone else returning. The SSDM position returns 4 of the top 5 players. The starting goalies are back. As for FoGo, Cascadden should be healthy and there is depth with Ricci (who was one of the best in NY as a high school player ) and incoming freshman Melkonian, who is tearing it up this Spring.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:39 pm
Ezra White wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:45 pm Looking at the 2024 roster, I count 23 Seniors, Fifth-years, and (even) Sixth-years. I know Kirst (a Senior) said he'll be back next year and Blake (Duke) & Wirtheim (UNC) are transferring elsewhere. But what about the remaining 20 >=Seniors?

My understanding from this board and looking at the senior day picture to see who is graduating, the main losses are Wirtheim (first M line), Follows (starting close D), Blake (SSDM) Psyllos and Petrakis (FOGO). Some role players leaving are Boccafola (SSDM who got some time in 9 games this season ), Piatelli (A - started for Long last season, but played sparingly in 24), Ablation (transfer A who played sparingly in 23 and 24) and Lombardi (M whose career was unfortunately derailed by injuries).

Attack
Kirst
Long
Goldstein
Cadigan

Midfield
Kelleher
Firth
Nikolic
Sheehan
Dalton
Holmes

SSDM
Davis
Gilmartin
Box
Bozzi

Defense

Staub
Singer
Dooley
Wallace
Rayhill

Goal
Knust
Tully

FoGo
Cascadden
Ricci

There are some underclassman on the roster who undoubtedly will get a shot to take one of the open midfield and defense slots.

Cornell also has a number of 4 star recruits coming in 24/25 including Attack Jack Herendeen (Victor) , Goalie Tim Piacentini (Lawrencville) Defensemen Beck Mahoney (Cathedral), Michale Marshall (Westfield) and Cooper Simpson (St Francis De Sales High School), and Michael Melkonian - a top FoGo (South Side) plus Middie Luke Robinson (Trinity Pawling).

So, yes, Cornell is returning a stacked roster with key losses at one midfield spot and 1 close defense as well as FoGo depth. The entire attack, which was one of the top units in the country, returns. Five of the top offensive middies return (six if you count Gilmartin who shined late in the season as a defensive middle and scoring threat). They lost one close D-man with everyone else returning. The SSDM position returns 4 of the top 5 players. The starting goalies are back. As for FoGo, Cascadden should be healthy and there is depth with Ricci (who was one of the best in NY as a high school player ) and incoming freshman Melkonian, who is tearing it up this Spring.
Thanks for the rundown, Chousnake! Much appreciated.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

faircornell wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:18 am
Chousnake wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:39 pm

Attack
Kirst
Long
Goldstein
Cadigan

Midfield
Kelleher
Firth
Nikolic
Sheehan
Dalton
Holmes

SSDM
Davis
Gilmartin
Box
Bozzi

Defense

Staub
Singer
Dooley
Wallace
Rayhill

Goal
Knust
Tully

FoGo
Cascadden
Ricci

Thanks for the rundown, Chousnake! Much appreciated.
I’m not sure it’s correct. I’m relying on the senior day picture to determine who is leaving.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Eli Friedman, a class of '25 commit, won 21 of 27 faceoffs and scored twice to lead Belmont Hill to a 19-6 win yesterday in the ISL championship game.
mfp

Post by mfp »

The big question for next season will be defense. Will the combination of 1) key players returning to health, 2) one more year of experience and development for returning players, 3) incoming players and 4) coaching adjustments be enough to bump the Cornell defense from mediocre (according to the stats) to championship caliber (with an elite offense)? What's a realistic jump in defensive ratings (rankings and/or goals allowed?) for next season?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

mfp wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:45 pm The big question for next season will be defense. Will the combination of 1) key players returning to health, 2) one more year of experience and development for returning players, 3) incoming players and 4) coaching adjustments be enough to bump the Cornell defense from mediocre (according to the stats) to championship caliber (with an elite offense)? What's a realistic jump in defensive ratings (rankings and/or goals allowed?) for next season?
Inside Lacrosse has 3 incoming close defenders -- all 4 stars: Simpson, Mahoney, & Marshall. If even just one of them develops quickly enough to start, and the veterans stay healthy, it should be a major improvement.

IIRC, incoming Piacentini is rated the #5 GK in the class of 2024, so we should be good there.

I also recall, but don't remember who, one of the incoming middies actually has extensive experience at SSDM. IMHO, this is the most difficult position in lacrosse. I find it troubling that so few incoming high school players specialized in this position, and instead the common pattern is to assign players who were mainly offensive middies to fill the defensive positions. We've had some great athletes who do remarkably well, but on-the-job training is a big disadvantage, especially in the early games, which tend to be OOC.

Of course, if the trend were to go back to having 2-way middies, that would be a different story.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Ezra White wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:03 pm
mfp wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:45 pm The big question for next season will be defense. Will the combination of 1) key players returning to health, 2) one more year of experience and development for returning players, 3) incoming players and 4) coaching adjustments be enough to bump the Cornell defense from mediocre (according to the stats) to championship caliber (with an elite offense)? What's a realistic jump in defensive ratings (rankings and/or goals allowed?) for next season?
Inside Lacrosse has 3 incoming close defenders -- all 4 stars: Simpson, Mahoney, & Marshall. If even just one of them develops quickly enough to start, and the veterans stay healthy, it should be a major improvement.

IIRC, incoming Piacentini is rated the #5 GK in the class of 2024, so we should be good there.

I also recall, but don't remember who, one of the incoming middies actually has extensive experience at SSDM. IMHO, this is the most difficult position in lacrosse. I find it troubling that so few incoming high school players specialized in this position, and instead the common pattern is to assign players who were mainly offensive middies to fill the defensive positions. We've had some great athletes who do remarkably well, but on-the-job training is a big disadvantage, especially in the early games, which tend to be OOC.

Of course, if the trend were to go back to having 2-way middies, that would be a different story.
Tully was the number 1 goalie recruit in the class of 2023 and he struggled this season. There are no sure things. With Knust, Tully, and Piacentini, Cornell should be ok though.

As for SSDM, the top 4 players return next season, including two who were injured for most of the 24 season - Davis and Bozzi.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Jimmy Troy looks like a player at SSDM - fast / good feet / solid position - he’ll be a welcome addition to what should be a solid rope unit next year
another fan

Post by another fan »

I agree on Troy and have touted his potential a couple times. Last year, I thought Jaxon Smart had potential as a ssdm-- good size and speed and had played both offense and defense previously. But I never saw him on the field or even in uniform on the sidelines, so I wonder if he was injured.

Gilmartin was great in his first year as a d mid, and could have All-American potential if he stays there. But we could also use some more contribution from a second offensive midfield line and Gilmartin was a mega scorer in high school. Personally, I think he is too valuable on defense, but maybe if everybody stays healthy and we develop some additional talent (be it Troy, Smart, or somebody else), we could see Gilmartin on offense. He would excel there, too, and we got a glimmer of his offensive prowess with some of the goals he scored this past season.
BIGGER_REDDER

Post by BIGGER_REDDER »

I’m curious as to what happened to Brian Luzzi. He was showing a ton of promise in midfield towards the end of the ‘23 season. I believe he even got a little bit of time in the playoff game against Michigan. I think he got some “garbage time” at shortie in our big wins this past year, but I don’t remember him taking any shifts at offensive mid. Could be injuries, could be a sophomore slump, I’m not sure. If he cashes in on that promise he showed, that will make it easier to keep Gilmartin as SSDM.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I liked Luzzi, too. He had a nose for the goal and wasn’t reluctant to try to get there. Sneaky shot, too. I also don’t know whether he was injured or just too far down the depth chart. I think Lamb may be ready for some playing time, and incoming Luke Robinson is high potential. He has so much speed that he gets away with his one handedness.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I wonder sometimes if Cornell's pace of play simply makes defending more difficult generally, and tends to lead to higher scoring games. The only live game that I saw this year was Yale, and I thought that the defense was doing what defenders were supposed to do. However, Cornell's offense was so efficient that Yale's offense simply got a lot of possessions. Cornell's injuries to Cascaden (who could have generally helped us get more possessions) and Long (who provided added physicality on offense that is really helpful) were two difference makers who could have helped against Penn in the ILT.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I think we had a perfect storm this year with our defense because:

1. Loss of a generational defender in Adler.
2. Injuries to two of our best short sticks, leading to other teams regularly attacking our shorties and causing our D to constantly rotate and cover for vulnerabilities.
3. Staub was not 100% early in the season, reportedly from a foot injury.
4. Unsettled goalie play. Knust started well, deserved to be pulled against PSU, but then sat behind Tully, who was inconsistent for several games. w

Others may disagree, but I am optimistic we will be better next year despite losing a very good player in Follows because:

1. Another year of playing together by everybody except the departed Follows.
2. Return to health (hopefully) of Davis and Bozzi, plus additional depth at short stick from new players.
3. Staub was great later in the season when healthy-- aggressive, fast and great off the ground.
4. Knust played great after regaining the job, and we have an abundance of riches at the position with Tully and Piacentini.

Going forward, Staub may need to slide back to close. That would be a loss at lsm but Rayhill and Wallace ought to be fine. Kelly and Lohnes seemed like the next poles up and we have 3 good ones coming in. There are certainly legitimate question marks with this forecast, but I see improved play at the defensive end.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Michael Long snubbed by USILA lax All-America voters. Not even an HM. How do you leave a player who averaged 5 ppg off the team?
mfp

Post by mfp »

Chousnake wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:27 pm Michael Long snubbed by USILA lax All-America voters. Not even an HM. How do you leave a player who averaged 5 ppg off the team?
I think this is mostly due to his teammate being recognized as one of the top players in college lacrosse. Most voters don’t watch Cornell games—maybe one or two and some highlights. (Plus, Long missed a couple of games.) My guess is that those voters assume Long has great numbers because of Kirst; not because he is an outstanding player in his own right.

And I do think there is a bias towards the big sports conferences. The ACC and B1G have excellent teams and excellent players. I have not done the math, but I suspect those two conferences are heavily over-represented. Maybe they simply have the majority of the best players…or maybe there is bias in the selection process.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

mfp wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:05 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:27 pm Michael Long snubbed by USILA lax All-America voters. Not even an HM. How do you leave a player who averaged 5 ppg off the team?
I think this is mostly due to his teammate being recognized as one of the top players in college lacrosse. Most voters don’t watch Cornell games—maybe one or two and some highlights. (Plus, Long missed a couple of games.) My guess is that those voters assume Long has great numbers because of Kirst; not because he is an outstanding player in his own right.

And I do think there is a bias towards the big sports conferences. The ACC and B1G have excellent teams and excellent players. I have not done the math, but I suspect those two conferences are heavily over-represented. Maybe they simply have the majority of the best players…or maybe there is bias in the selection process.
To your point, it's interesting how some things turn on individual games. The ILT first round of Cornell vs Penn would arguably have been won by Cornell if Michael Long had played. Similarly, Brendan Lavelle and Emmet Carroll of Penn had outstanding games, and likely benefitted from that exposure, being First and Second Team AA awardees. Long was absent. Also, the winner of the game benefitted in both RPI and "bubble" standing in NCAA tournament selection. As the awards always show, players are more recognized when their teams do better. The Cornell/ Penn ILT game was a night game with top ESPN coverage.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”