Re: Interested in hearing opinions on why Torpey left HP for Brown

Post by norcalhop »

Money and better talent.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cc2519 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:12 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:58 am Recruiting a much smaller cohort.
Lacrosse is a high profile sport at HP
-is it at Brown?
Not sure there was much of a talent gap btw Brown and HP the last 10 years
Brown did have more success when Tiffany was there
Wonder if he thought he was maxed out at HP?
Delaware entering the A-10 doesn’t make getting to the NCAA tournament any easier at HP
Two final fours should’ve won the title in 16. Longer history by a mile: Dom starsia and Lars Tiffany coached there before going to uva. Ivy more likely to get 2nd / 3rd team in tourney.

It’s really straightforward unless that maniac president quibien or whatever is paying him a stick. And he’s not .
"Paying him a stick.." It's so easy to recognize a Wall Street/finance guy! :lol:
Better than my friends who didn’t get out or returned to section 4 NYS don’t you think?

Though really I’d submit that more isolated to cap Mkts and sales & trading than corporate finance or coverage roles rather than product roles.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:12 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:58 am Recruiting a much smaller cohort.
-is it at Brown?
Not sure there was much of a talent gap btw Brown and HP the last 10 years
Brown did have more success when Tiffany was there
Wonder if he thought he was maxed out at HP?
Delaware entering the A-10 doesn’t make getting to the NCAA tournament any easier at HP
Two final fours should’ve won the title in 16.
That logic means Danowski is chasing his 11th national championship this weekend
I knew at least one MD fan would bug out about that. It’s counters frisk of course but your comparison is not fair or a good faith effort to find a close comparable. A rock star breaking his foot in the playoffs is not in any way comparable with overloaded talent laden teams not getting it done. So specious that it needs to be called out as a nonsense comparison/.

The end of the day the champion is the champion but to diminish someone else, which I observe as a common tactic by a lot of big ten fans, by making such a comparison and ignoring the actual situation is what it is and on recorded here for everyone to evaluate. I’m assuming you aren’t a low rent cat who’ll delete a post to avoid consequences.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:56 pm
molo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:53 pm And even with that they almost won. If you recall the fateful face-off, Gural popped it out so strongly that a Maryland defenseman scooped the gb as it rolled past the restraining line
Looks like I'm wrong. Maybe it was the last shot in regulation that I'm thinking of.

Great team, but not "should have won the national championship" worthy if they "didn't even make the national championship game"
You compared them with the Duke failures. That’s fraudulent. Unless you didn’t think through it at all and just posted mindlessly.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:36 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:06 pm Healthy Molloy they beat UMd by 2 or 3, but Monday against UNC? UNC rested: first Sat game, basically a runaway win. Sat weather HOT. UNC way deeper, and a hot hot team. Could have been as good a game as the actual final, but Brown win? IDK. I would have said UNC -2.
So healthy Ajax and Maryland wins 2023 national championship. Terps were also up 4 with 9 minutes left. Brown played a great game to come back from a big deficit, but saying they should have won the national championship is a laugher. They should have won the game they had to get to the national championship, but they didn't.
Brown won the regular season Ivy league championship in 2016 over a very good Yale team that won the national championship two years later in 2018. That 2016 Brown team had a future PLL goalie, Jack Kelly; a great FOGO in Will Gural (Petey LaSalla upside goal-scoring ability); two almost legendary LSMs in Larken Kemp and Alec Tulett; a high-impact midfielder in Brendan Caputo; and the (consensus) Tewaaraton winner in Dylan Molloy. Had Molloy stayed healthy and not broken his foot in the tournament Brown had a very legitimate chance to win it all based on talent, team construction, and how they were playing. Were they a generational super-team? No, so there's no way for sure to know if they would have won. But talented enough to do it and coached by a guy who has since won two national championships so somebody who coaches well in the big games.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:06 pm Healthy Molloy they beat UMd by 2 or 3, but Monday against UNC? UNC rested: first Sat game, basically a runaway win. Sat weather HOT. UNC way deeper, and a hot hot team. Could have been as good a game as the actual final, but Brown win? IDK. I would have said UNC -2.
So healthy Ajax and Maryland wins 2023 national championship. Terps were also up 4 with 9 minutes left. Brown played a great game to come back from a big deficit, but saying they should have won the national championship is a laugher. They should have won the game they had to get to the national championship, but they didn't.
Not the same. For a million reasons.

You’ve got the title shouldn’t lyou ignore this turd like a winner instead of fighting everyone who thinks that specific unique incomparable situation changed the outcome? Jesus anything a MD fan is fighting is silly given the successS. You think Tillman would even address it if he hear such a comment?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:06 pm

You’ve got the title shouldn’t lyou ignore this turd like a winner instead of fighting everyone who thinks that specific unique incomparable situation changed the outcome? Jesus anything a MD fan is fighting is silly given the successS. You think Tillman would even address it if he hear such a comment?
Ok, makes sense
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Forbes financial grade for HP, C with an endowment of around 200 million for 5,000 students.
Forbes financial grade for Brown, A+ with an endowment of 6.6 billion for 9,000 students.

Translates to more stable environment in terms of budgets, salaries, financial aid, etc.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I think the point is that Ivy teams legitimately compete for national championships while HP does not. Brown was a final four team with a legitimate chance to win it all in 2016 and were hampered when the best player in the country broke his foot during the tournament.

That’s why you leave HP for Brown. HP likely won’t sniff a final four
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

laxpert wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:35 pm Forbes financial grade for HP, C with an endowment of around 200 million for 5,000 students.
Forbes financial grade for Brown, A+ with an endowment of 6.6 billion for 9,000 students.

Translates to more stable environment in terms of budgets, salaries, financial aid, etc.
You want to learn about High Point? The school is currently in danger of losing it accreditation.

This rather long article will tell you all you need to know about this school for rich kids:

https://www.theassemblync.com/education ... niversity/
Farfromgeneva

Re: Interested in hearing opinions on why Torpey left HP for Brown0p/

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:58 pm

I think the point is that Ivy teams legitimately compete for national championships while HP does not. Brown was a final four team with a legitimate chance to win it all in 2016 and were hampered when the best player in the country broke his foot during the tournament.

That’s why you leave HP for Brown. HP likely won’t sniff a final four
agreed I was just driving home the point that a unique event rather than failure of execution precluded the team from an excellent shot at a title. The whole “ehhh they didn’t make the finals is so dumb and also ignored some of those funky late 2000s seedings where one semi wa really the de facto title game. But of course some fan is going to get offended by the mere suggestion that things broke their way and against a legit title contender in the playoffs late. Instead they toss around specious arguments and crazy obfuscation to put down brown, rather than attempt to make the case for MD. It’s lameS
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Ha. UNC won the NC and deserved it. They should have won and did.

Now please tell us more Ali Muppet jock-sniffing tales, or sharing a frosty with Maryland linebacker from 1992 and all the other dalliances with fame
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I said I thought they would have won the semi with a healthy Molloy. I don't think Brown would have been down 4 with 9 mins left with a healthy Molloy. I then said UNC should have been favored in the final.

And Zap certainly would have helped in '23.

And the Patriots would have been better in 2008 with a healthy Brady. Lots of this stuff in history. And if Mickey Mantle didn't blow out both knees who knows what his numbers would have been. Jeebus. I wasn't intending to slight Maryland.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:33 pm Ha. UNC won the NC and deserved it. They should have won and did.

Now please tell us more Ali Muppet jock-sniffing tales, or sharing a frosty with Maryland linebacker from 1992 and all the other dalliances with fame
I’m sorry why should it for a turd about you or your petty little shots? Who you got in your corner? Good old state school dipshit. You make jarmo look like a Rhodes scholar. He’d tell you he’s a meathead and I’d out him up against you every day or the week and twice on Sunday as would the overall stakeholder base at UND by a wide wide margin. He’ll he can call Kevin Plank tomorrow as their friends.

You? Lost in the crowd as a faceless nobody I imagine. Can throw a bunch more names in there Giulian Gary, Nate Watkins and can keep going.

But I get it you’re one of those guys who tells other people stories instead of creating and having your own.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed May 22, 2024 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:59 pm
I said I thought they would have won the semi with a healthy Molloy. I don't think Brown would have been down 4 with 9 mins left with a healthy Molloy. I then said UNC should have been favored in the final.

And the Patriots would have been better in 2008 with a healthy Brady. Lots of this stuff in history. And if Mickey Mantle didn't blow out both knees who knows what his numbers would have been. Jeebus. I wasn't intending to slight Maryland.
I engaged which was a mistake but a hood rat fiend of mine who still running game in his insecure a** once told me which feels profound and applicable here: sometimes you just have to let a b*#ch be a b*#ch…
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:59 pm

All good, and I wasn't belittling Brown. That was a great and fun team with the best player, goalie and coach on the same roster.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

[quote=Laxbuck post_id=555525 time=1716393480 user_id
-is it at Brown?
[/quote]
Yes. Or at least it was going back decades. And they (alums and AD) want to get back to that place.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Pay attention keno, you’re so off on this take. I can’t even…
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Wow, $350k/year for Torpey, Brown State should have gone after Simon Connor from Nova, paid him less and he has been a part of some really big college upsets the last few season, MD Yale twice, Delaware and PSU usually every year & just 3 weeks ago he knocked off a final 4 team in Denver, heck of a resume , much better then Torpeys, but I am not an AD, good luck
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Well gentleman, I can say it was the most exciting Memorial Day Weekend lacrosse games I ever attended. The MD/ Brown game was epic. I believe that game took some juice from MD for NC in the final. The Terps of ‘16 were just as good if not better than the team that won the title in ‘17. Still think Terps were better than NC that year. Brown played great and their fans were jacked, Mollloy hobbling,but still muscled some goals…it was just a great lacrosse.

Torpey leaving for Brown was an easy decision for both $$ and the chance to compete nationally.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”