W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SouthieLax

Re: W&L 2024

Post by SouthieLax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:25 am I think fatigue finally caught up to the team in the second half. Not citing this as an excuse just a fact and something every team must face.
Not being used as an excuse....but mentioned by quite a few people in this thread. I agree it its not ideal to play back to back and wish the system was different, and beating Salisbury and Tufts on back to back days is almost comical to think about. That said, keep in mind that Tufts played the second game on Saturday which didn't wrap up until almost 10pm. Yes, they had the game in hand against SJF, but they had to go back to their hotels late at night and turn around and face W&L about 20 hours after they last played, not even a day of recovery time.

Bottom line, it is what it is, and I'd hate for W&L to harp on an excuse narrative when looking back on a great run/season.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

I do not see it as an excuse from where I sit but I am sure we had to play harder to keep up with Tufts pace which is much faster than ours so there is that. In fact, if we had won more FOs, who knows what the outcome would have been, and we may have had a better chance to be honest but Spano has had a great year and he did his best. I think Tufts is just a better team and we had to every star line up just right to win that game.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

valaxfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:15 pm I do not see it as an excuse from where I sit but I am sure we had to play harder to keep up with Tufts pace which is much faster than ours so there is that. In fact, if we had won more FOs, who knows what the outcome would have been, and we may have had a better chance to be honest but Spano has had a great year and he did his best. I think Tufts is just a better team and we had to every star line up just right to win that game.

valaxfan
I think Spano had to play two full games under huge pressure as a first year, while the opposition appeared to use multiple FOGOs to wear him down. The tired legs is not an excuse, but given Tufts’ being able to rest their starters against SJF after the half, it may be a “reason” they wilted late in the 4th. Correct me if I’m misinformed, but didn’t Tufts also receive an extra week of rest for some reason prior to their first game in the NCAAs?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:32 pm
valaxfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:15 pm I do not see it as an excuse from where I sit but I am sure we had to play harder to keep up with Tufts pace which is much faster than ours so there is that. In fact, if we had won more FOs, who knows what the outcome would have been, and we may have had a better chance to be honest but Spano has had a great year and he did his best. I think Tufts is just a better team and we had to every star line up just right to win that game.

valaxfan
I think Spano had to play two full games under huge pressure as a first year, while the opposition appeared to use multiple FOGOs to wear him down. The tired legs is not an excuse, but given Tufts’ being able to rest their starters against SJF after the half, it may be a “reason” they wilted late in the 4th. Correct me if I’m misinformed, but didn’t Tufts also receive an extra week of rest for some reason prior to their first game in the NCAAs?

WL75, not sure about the extra week but I do recall Spano asking for Bou to replace him at least one time he was getting tired just before half. But, at the end of the day, I think we had to have almost a perfect game to beat them, they are a very good team.

However, had Tufts not gone to the Zone in the 4th, which we did not handle well, I think we had a better chance of winning too.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Agreed. They are a great team and W&L is as well. So no need for explanations for outcomes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

valaxfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:41 pm

valaxfan

WL75, not sure about the extra week but I do recall Spano asking for Bou to replace him at least one time he was getting tired just before half. But, at the end of the day, I think we had to have almost a perfect game to beat them, they are a very good team.

However, had Tufts not gone to the Zone in the 4th, which we did not handle well, I think we had a better chance of winning too.

valaxfan
They got knocked out early in the NESCAC tourney so had a few days off when they would normally have been playing.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

OK Got it. Thanks.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:57 pm
valaxfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:41 pm

valaxfan

valaxfan
They got knocked out early in the NESCAC tourney so had a few days off when they would normally have been playing.
Thx PCL.

valaxfan
easymoneysniper

Post by easymoneysniper »

Think Southie's comment about beating Salisbury and Tufts in back-to-backs was spot on. There are plenty of teams in D1 that are not capable of that, regardless of how many days fall in between.

Some sloppy TOs (which the Generals have made all year, btw) in the 3rd and 4th and then Tufts shows you why they are Tufts. They capitalize and put it out of reach. Some more possessions here, there... sure maybe it's different but can't do that in the Final 4.

But, I was frankly shocked that Tufts had to go zone to slow the Generals O down after 1Q run. I think RIT's Canadian sticks will handle this better than W&L did.

Anyway, incredible season. 4th quarter at Shelly, the stick throw celebration, Spano 3rd quarter, Burns OT winner. Forget the armadillo -- what about the corkscrew? Incredible to see even the haters find themselves cheering on the blue and white. Hope to reload and hope the boys continue eating their GRITs in the offseason in preparation for next year.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

easymoneysniper wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:15 pm Think Southie's comment about beating Salisbury and Tufts in back-to-backs was spot on. There are plenty of teams in D1 that are not capable of that, regardless of how many days fall in between.

Some sloppy TOs (which the Generals have made all year, btw) in the 3rd and 4th and then Tufts shows you why they are Tufts. They capitalize and put it out of reach. Some more possessions here, there... sure maybe it's different but can't do that in the Final 4.

But, I was frankly shocked that Tufts had to go zone to slow the Generals O down after 1Q run. I think RIT's Canadian sticks will handle this better than W&L did.

Anyway, incredible season. 4th quarter at Shelly, the stick throw celebration, Spano 3rd quarter, Burns OT winner. Forget the armadillo -- what about the corkscrew? Incredible to see even the haters find themselves cheering on the blue and white. Hope to reload and hope the boys continue eating their GRITs in the offseason in preparation for next year.
Agree with your comments. In both games, I am not sure, overall, W&L was the better team. But, sometimes its who plays a better game, we did that against Salisbury, but not against Tufts. Speaking of the Armadillo. I was playing lax in college that year and I wasn't following the Generals as closely as normal. My dad was, and sent me the Armadillo write up when it was outlawed from April 25, 1982. See attached.

valaxfan
Attachments
Armadillo.jpg
Armadillo.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
richard

Post by richard »

The Longpole Corkscrew is a better shot than Gaits dunk. I doubt it gets the airplay but nobody will ever replicate it.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

richard wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:42 am The Longpole Corkscrew is a better shot than Gaits dunk. I doubt it gets the airplay but nobody will ever replicate it.
If a certain first year had made the “Corkscrew” shot, they could have finally replaced the “Armadillo” with the “Cardillo”. It reminded me of the Gary Gait shot over the back of the goal. It had never been done before.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Found this site with all the FOs from the Salisbury game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNPekD ... WithSports

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Fittingly, Jed Heald's Corkscrew Goal against Tufts, voted IL Goose It Play of the Week!!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... goal/63483

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

valaxfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:36 pm Fittingly, Jed Heald's Corkscrew Goal against Tufts, voted IL Goose It Play of the Week!!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... goal/63483

valaxfan
Thanks for this VALAXFAN. The team is finally getting some love for their great run this season.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I think the Generals may have opened up a debate
. I particularly enjoyed the 22-1 photo
https://www.instagram.com/p/C7Rt2eJsU2P ... h1cTVnM2s1
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Almost as good as the W&L 28 Notre Dame 4 and W&L 29 OSU 2 scoreboard shots at Wilson Field when they and Ohio State were “touring the East Coast” to solidify their entry into the sport.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

This goes out to w&Llacrosse75,
I've finally crawled out of my hole from seeing last saturdays results...I must say I've eaten my fair share of crow this week. Its like a fire on my tongue, burning my mouth to say, but well done generals. Congrats on a season that was historic within a program that's had a handful of historic seasons. You beat the best team in the country at their place in the playoffs, down 7, that shows grit. I will be back to throw more hate but for now, job well done.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Question is where does W&L go from here. For now I’ve just totally enjoyed the season. Hoping to watch a great match with RIT beating Tufts tomorrow. There will be time enough for future assessments. Bottom line the future looks bright in Lex !
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

MarionBarry wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:41 pm This goes out to w&Llacrosse75,
I've finally crawled out of my hole from seeing last saturdays results...I must say I've eaten my fair share of crow this week. Its like a fire on my tongue, burning my mouth to say, but well done generals. Congrats on a season that was historic within a program that's had a handful of historic seasons. You beat the best team in the country at their place in the playoffs, down 7, that shows grit. I will be back to throw more hate but for now, job well done.
Thanks Marion Barry. We Gennies fans accept the praise. It is more than some posters can bring themselves to voice.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”