Georgetown 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK

Georgetown 2025

Post by HGK »

A lot to be proud of from the 2024 team. 2025 will be very interesting. A lot of great players leave but the young core of Moore, Banks, Wray, Crogan, Schubert and others lay a very good foundation. If Carroll is back for a grad year, other young players, a transfer or two and freshmen have an impact, this could be another formidable team.
Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2025

Post by Jldlax »

The defense will take a big hit at all levels including loss of top 3 SSDMs. The SSDMs will be hard to replace and a transfer might be needed. It will be interesting to see if Tominovich will take another year due to the injury this year as he is very capable at both close D and on faceoffs. GU has several freshman D coming including two top 50 guys so this should help.

On offense if Carroll comes back this will be a big boost. Schubert developed well at year end and should be a good contributor in the future, and the midfield will be solid with a top midfield recruit coming in, and some young depth.

The final piece will be at the face off. GU has a very good FO recruit for next year, but depth at FO is critical. It would be nice if GU had two solid guys, given the problems it has faced in the postseason with heavy usage of the top guy year after year.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Some very good athletes in the midfield group. Wonder if there could be a transition like Geddes, Hess etc. SSDM is clearly an unknown for next season.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:25 pm The defense will take a big hit at all levels including loss of top 3 SSDMs. The SSDMs will be hard to replace and a transfer might be needed. It will be interesting to see if Tominovich will take another year due to the injury this year as he is very capable at both close D and on faceoffs. GU has several freshman D coming including two top 50 guys so this should help.

On offense if Carroll comes back this will be a big boost. Schubert developed well at year end and should be a good contributor in the future, and the midfield will be solid with a top midfield recruit coming in, and some young depth.

The final piece will be at the face off. GU has a very good FO recruit for next year, but depth at FO is critical. It would be nice if GU had two solid guys, given the problems it has faced in the postseason with heavy usage of the top guy year after year.
Agree that defense and especially SSDMs will be the biggest question mark. I believe only two players on the current roster have seen any time at SSDM and not a lot of it.

On close D, only Banks returns. I can see McGurrin moving down low, but unclear who will replace him at LSM. Tominovich could technically qualify for a red shirt year and return.

Will be interesting to see what the portal holds this year. Lots of talk about an unusual number of underclassmen on the market.

From what I recall, Ball only used one year of eligibility at Yale, which would give him two more years. But as his grad program is only one-year, hard to see how he'd return to use it.

2025 could be somewhat of a rebuilding year for GU.
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

Gtown had an awesome year in 2024 and exceeded my expectations especially after a rough first couple of games. Congratulations to the senior class. It was sad to see so many gtown greats like Bundy, Haley, Hess, Halpert and the rest of that amazing class move on. They did a tremendous job maintaining the culture. Hopefully will will get Carroll back for another year.

Turning the page to the future, I think its important to recognize the strengths and areas of improvement for the program. First, and most important, the culture remains strong and we have the right coaches at the helm. Most d-1 programs probably couldn't say the same and so we are in a privileged spot in terms of the foundation looking forward.

Strengths: Goalie, defense, and Midfield. Georgetown does an unbelievable job recruiting in these areas. How long have we had an AA level goalie? Whatever Coach Shriver has going on in that goalie room is special. On the Defensive end, Coach W is a fantastic coach and while we don't always have an top AA lvl shut down defensive men, often times its the more Cerebral Poles that do a better Job in KJW defense rather than the lock down cover guys. At the defensive midfield we have consistently had AA level talent (Hursey, Geddes, Hess) and our second and third options at d-mid have always been phenomenal as well. Finally, we consistently recruit and have 5-star level Midfielders and our midfield has always been one of our strengths as a program going back to the Urick days.

Areas of Improvement: Face-off Depth & a 5-star level attackmen. In order to win a national championship, a team typically needs the three things: (1) Elite level Goal tending or Face off depth (often times both) (2) an elite first/second team AA attackmen, (3) Midfield Depth. Before Hogan arrived, I would have said Midfield/Offensive depth was the program's biggest problem but Hogan has been great and we have played more offensive players this past year than we have ever done historically since I started following the program. Therefore, the areas i think this program needs to improve to make it to MDW take that next step is build more face-off depth and do a better job recruiting top level attackmen. Over the last couple of years we have had "elite" level top faceoff men, but often times these faceoff men get beat up and hurt either in the NCAA tournament or right before. We shouldn't be throwing FOGOs at the dot in the most important games of the year with less than 50 draws taken and instead focus on building an alternative second option. Easier said then done, but face-offs is a grueling position and we need more depth in that department if we want to be successful. As for attack, Outside of transfers the last top 20 "5-star" level attackmen we recruited was Dan Bucaro and we all know how that turned out. We got lucky with Jake Carraway as he ended up developing into an elite attackmen but I feel like nowadays that is rare and we shouldn't depend on us consistently developing elite level attackmen. I also believe TJ haley was also a 5 star, but he unfortunately never developed his shooting skillset that would have most certainly took him to that elite AA level (he still was an ELITE passer and broke all times of Gtown records). While high school rankings don't always translate into AAs at the college level, there is a strong correlation between top 20 ranked attackmen and output at the next level. The last top 20ish attackmen we recruited was Nate Kabiri and although he decided to go another direction look what he is currently doing at Princeton.

The 2025 team will certainly be a rebuilding year but the cupboard is far from bare. The program remains in a great spot and I believe that if we take the next step and focus on improving faceoff depth and consistently recruiting/developing 5-star attackmen the program could take the next step and move from a perennial top 5-15 program into the top 5. Obviously recruiting is hit or miss, easier said than done, and I'm sure the coaching staff isn't purposefully passing up on 5-star attackmen. Hogan has already showed flashes (look at the improvement of Aidan Caroll YoY or the emergence of Shubert) and I think we have the right staff for the job.

Go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Hoyafan123 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:38 am Gtown had an awesome year in 2024 and exceeded my expectations especially after a rough first couple of games. Congratulations to the senior class. It was sad to see so many gtown greats like Bundy, Haley, Hess, Halpert and the rest of that amazing class move on. They did a tremendous job maintaining the culture. Hopefully will will get Carroll back for another year.

Turning the page to the future, I think its important to recognize the strengths and areas of improvement for the program. First, and most important, the culture remains strong and we have the right coaches at the helm. Most d-1 programs probably couldn't say the same and so we are in a privileged spot in terms of the foundation looking forward.

Strengths: Goalie, defense, and Midfield. Georgetown does an unbelievable job recruiting in these areas. How long have we had an AA level goalie? Whatever Coach Shriver has going on in that goalie room is special. On the Defensive end, Coach W is a fantastic coach and while we don't always have an top AA lvl shut down defensive men, often times its the more Cerebral Poles that do a better Job in KJW defense rather than the lock down cover guys. At the defensive midfield we have consistently had AA level talent (Hursey, Geddes, Hess) and our second and third options at d-mid have always been phenomenal as well. Finally, we consistently recruit and have 5-star level Midfielders and our midfield has always been one of our strengths as a program going back to the Urick days.

Areas of Improvement: Face-off Depth & a 5-star level attackmen. In order to win a national championship, a team typically needs the three things: (1) Elite level Goal tending or Face off depth (often times both) (2) an elite first/second team AA attackmen, (3) Midfield Depth. Before Hogan arrived, I would have said Midfield/Offensive depth was the program's biggest problem but Hogan has been great and we have played more offensive players this past year than we have ever done historically since I started following the program. Therefore, the areas i think this program needs to improve to make it to MDW take that next step is build more face-off depth and do a better job recruiting top level attackmen. Over the last couple of years we have had "elite" level top faceoff men, but often times these faceoff men get beat up and hurt either in the NCAA tournament or right before. We shouldn't be throwing FOGOs at the dot in the most important games of the year with less than 50 draws taken and instead focus on building an alternative second option. Easier said then done, but face-offs is a grueling position and we need more depth in that department if we want to be successful. As for attack, Outside of transfers the last top 20 "5-star" level attackmen we recruited was Dan Bucaro and we all know how that turned out. We got lucky with Jake Carraway as he ended up developing into an elite attackmen but I feel like nowadays that is rare and we shouldn't depend on us consistently developing elite level attackmen. I also believe TJ haley was also a 5 star, but he unfortunately never developed his shooting skillset that would have most certainly took him to that elite AA level (he still was an ELITE passer and broke all times of Gtown records). While high school rankings don't always translate into AAs at the college level, there is a strong correlation between top 20 ranked attackmen and output at the next level. The last top 20ish attackmen we recruited was Nate Kabiri and although he decided to go another direction look what he is currently doing at Princeton.

The 2025 team will certainly be a rebuilding year but the cupboard is far from bare. The program remains in a great spot and I believe that if we take the next step and focus on improving faceoff depth and consistently recruiting/developing 5-star attackmen the program could take the next step and move from a perennial top 5-15 program into the top 5. Obviously recruiting is hit or miss, easier said than done, and I'm sure the coaching staff isn't purposefully passing up on 5-star attackmen. Hogan has already showed flashes (look at the improvement of Aidan Caroll YoY or the emergence of Shubert) and I think we have the right staff for the job.

Go Hoyas!
Excellent analysis. Gtown's achilles heel in recruiting (even back to the Urick days) has been top of the top attackmen. Its not a complete coincidence that we've also had a history of hitting a wall at the Quarterfinals. That's not to say that we haven't had great attackmen and a number of guys who have developed beyond expectations, but we don't often (if ever) get the difference-maker-out-of-the-gate type guys. To be fair, those players are few and far between and there is strong competition -- especially now in the era of NIL.

I think defense is a bit more a question-mark than you've alluded to, but you do make a good point that Warne is able to restock every year with extremely solid players and we should expect that next year as well.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Of the incoming freshmen next year I believe the top ranked recruit we have is at FOGO and next two are defense. All top 50. If Carroll is back, I love him and Schubert at attack as the core. I think Schubert may be special. The rope unit is the biggest issue given graduations. Given what the coaches did this year on offense and defense with both existing players and newcomers, there could be a lot of high end talent we are just not yet fully aware of. If Moore becomes a true shut down stopper and we get some help in the portal, this team might be a very pleasant surprise just like this year.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

GU’s top rated recruit for next year is a middie from McDonough, so this should help.

It is also important to realize that most teams lose a lot, given the end of the COVID year. Denver and Nova lose a lot, especially Denver, and top teams like Hopkins, Duke and ND also lose a lot. So GU’s losses, while significant, must be taken in context.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Even better. I missed that!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Returning players that saw some significant time this year:

Attack
Aidan Carroll (possibly)
Jack Shubert
Cade Caggiano (EMO)
Jake Waldman (ran 2nd mid but listed at attack)

Midfield
Jordan Wray
Patrick Crogan
Kade Goldberg
Joe Cesare
Larry Horning

SSDM
Joe Vranizan
Michael Haus

LSM
Charlie McGurrin

FO
Matthew Riley
Wilson Van Buren

Defense
Ty Banks
Will Tominovich (possibly)

Goalie
Anderson Moore

A number of holes to fill, but that is a solid core of players with at least some experience.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:47 pm Returning players that saw some significant time this year:

Attack
Aidan Carroll (possibly)
Jack Shubert
Cade Caggiano (EMO)
Jake Waldman (ran 2nd mid but listed at attack)

Midfield
Jordan Wray
Patrick Crogan
Kade Goldberg
Joe Cesare
Larry Horning

SSDM
Joe Vranizan
Michael Haus

LSM
Charlie McGurrin

FO
Matthew Riley
Wilson Van Buren

Defense
Ty Banks
Will Tominovich (possibly)

Goalie
Anderson Moore

A number of holes to fill, but that is a solid core of players with at least some experience.

ND attackman Fulton Bayman will take a grad year at GU. Should add depth at attack. Will be interesting to see if Aidan Carroll and Tominovich return next year, and if GU gets any transfers at SSDM and FO.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I think Bayman may add more than depth. From what I have been told he is very talented but just couldn’t break into the rotation given the ND attack talent. Also told he is a great locker room guy as well.

Carroll I believe will be back. Tominovich I don’t have any insight.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

HGK wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:05 pm I think Bayman may add more than depth. From what I have been told he is very talented but just couldn’t break into the rotation given the ND attack talent. Also told he is a great locker room guy as well.

Fulton saw minutes in a number of games this year rotating in as the 4th, and chipped in a few nice goals. I think you’re right - very talented guy who just got unlucky enough to sit behind 3 of the best to ever do it at ND. I imagine he’ll be a great addition on the field and in the LR. Many ND players in ‘23 referenced the championship experience Tevlin brought over from Yale, perhaps he can provide a similar effect for the Hoyas.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:05 pm I think Bayman may add more than depth. From what I have been told he is very talented but just couldn’t break into the rotation given the ND attack talent. Also told he is a great locker room guy as well.

This is my cautiously optimistic take also. The few times I saw him on the field he was a head turner. I thought he was a freshman or sophomore they were trying to get time for when Kavanugh left.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm
Jldlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:25 pm The defense will take a big hit at all levels including loss of top 3 SSDMs. The SSDMs will be hard to replace and a transfer might be needed. It will be interesting to see if Tominovich will take another year due to the injury this year as he is very capable at both close D and on faceoffs. GU has several freshman D coming including two top 50 guys so this should help.

Agree that defense and especially SSDMs will be the biggest question mark. I believe only two players on the current roster have seen any time at SSDM and not a lot of it.

On close D, only Banks returns. I can see McGurrin moving down low, but unclear who will replace him at LSM. Tominovich could technically qualify for a red shirt year and return.

Will be interesting to see what the portal holds this year. Lots of talk about an unusual number of underclassmen on the market.

From what I recall, Ball only used one year of eligibility at Yale, which would give him two more years. But as his grad program is only one-year, hard to see how he'd return to use it.

Move Goldberg to full time SSDM and double up
Cesares offensive minutes.

I am watching Cesare bc of my son so
That’s the backdrop.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m not as high on Taylor as some at ND so that’s the only spot theoretically he could’ve cracked given the other two are actual or certainly close to T winner caliber players.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:19 am

That’s the backdrop.
Haha. No chance. Goldberg’s a converted attackman.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:19 am

That’s the backdrop.
Haha. No chance. Goldberg’s a converted attackman.
Trying to get Cesare more love but the size may be an issue. He actually had both kids on his roster for fantasy two years ago and obviously got nothing then they both came into their own this past seasons. I hate fantasy sports but I liked helping my boy do it so got into it here.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Ball, Carroll & Tominovich returning in 2025
HGK

Post by HGK »

SkipPass wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:35 pm Ball, Carroll & Tominovich returning in 2025
Great news. I saw Tominovich off the portal list today and was hoping that was the case. Ball back is big as well. Obviously as is Carroll but more expected.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”