Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Brown 2024

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:08 am looks like Jon Torpey is the heir successor.....with the blessings of consultant- alums Starsia and Munro......seems like a winner.....Breschi extols him based on his 3 years as a captain at Ohio State........hope he can thrive at a location without the some 32 fountains that grace the High Point campus....seems he's at the stage of his career where he needs a challenge...............appears to be well-regarded within the coaching community........his teams always seemed to threaten Duke and Va. early in the season - and Brown needs to start earlier in coming seasons.....and needs a more robust fall season........should be able to come up with good scheduling based on his regard with fellow coaches......told the HP players love him - but that is pretty standard with most coaches.........the Brown players loved Daly and where did that get him ?..............expect an announcement this weekend or before ........... he has a challenge before him in Providence but is the consensus that he will meet it............
Good ear to the ground, Counselor, and your insight about him wanting a new challenge makes a lot of sense. I think this is a great hire for Brown, and it sounds like they did things well by getting the viewpoints of important alums, etc. Welcome to the Ivy League, Coach Torpey!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Coach Torpey!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

One of the best examples of current coaches who has always made the most out of his talent.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I spent some time in the building/field with Jon Torpey at High Point. I also coached and/or played at all three levels of the sport. I can honestly say I have never been around a coach who cares more about his players and their development both on and off the field. I hope the Brown lacrosse family appreciates the quality of person they are getting.

Not to mention, from a purely lacrosse perspective, they are getting a guy who is afraid of approximately no one. During his tenure at High Point, he took his “little engine that could” to Duke and won, to UVA and won, to Carolina and won.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:55 pm The press release:

https://brownbears.com/news/2024/5/21/m ... s-lacrosse
Torpey looks like a really good hire. He certainly is not a job hopper; so let's hope he does well, and retires upon ending his career, at Brown. A strong Bruno program makes the Ivy a better lacrosse conference.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Wishing the new regime well! Lacrosse matters at Brown.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

As long as he can get the kids he wants in he will kill it. Know he spent a minute at Dart as an asst coach but HPU is almost polar opposite in admissions. Even if he can it’s probably going to be a learning curve. But he is a very good coach. Never really nailed down the D side but the offense is great
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

Now we can turn our attention to the Assistants. Will he keep both of the current guys, keep one of the current guys, find new ones, or bring in his guys from HP?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

BrownDad wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:49 pm Now we can turn our attention to the Assistants. Will he keep both of the current guys, keep one of the current guys, find new ones, or bring in his guys from HP?
Based on history, most new head coaches want to hire their own assistants.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

BrownDad wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:49 pm Now we can turn our attention to the Assistants. Will he keep both of the current guys, keep one of the current guys, find new ones, or bring in his guys from HP?
Torpey's Associate Coach taking over HPU.
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:08 pm
It would be a disaster if he kept the current offensive coordinator at Brown. That guy might’ve been the worst offensive coach I’ve ever seen. Torpey will bring in his own guys!!
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Jamie Munro - Offensive Coordinator
Andy Towers - Defensive Coordinator
Dom Starsia - Substitution Box Coach
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:50 pm Jamie Munro - Offensive Coordinator
Andy Towers - Defensive Coordinator
Dom Starsia - Substitution Box Coach
Dylan Molloy - volunteer assistant
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chaz’s Woodson as cheerleader?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:08 pm
Clean sweep, New start. Only way to go.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Ok, so Torpey sounds like a terrific guy and a decent coach, but who has HPU beaten or upset over the years? Simon Connor at Nova has been a part of a huge # of upsets over the last 5 years, all I am sayin
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Magbride14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:34 am Ok, so Torpey sounds like a terrific guy and a decent coach, but who has HPU beaten or upset over the years? Simon Connor at Nova has been a part of a huge # of upsets over the last 5 years, all I am sayin
2019 HPU beat Duke and UVA
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Magbride14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:34 am Ok, so Torpey sounds like a terrific guy and a decent coach, but who has HPU beaten or upset over the years? Simon Connor at Nova has been a part of a huge # of upsets over the last 5 years, all I am sayin
Dude the hire has been made. Toss Conor around other places
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:49 am
2019 HPU beat Duke and UVA
Not to mention comparing someone who is HC and stood up the program to a AC.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

All of u Torpey fans realize that the 2 best Brown lax coaches ever were Lars & Dom, and both played there, and Torpey did not, big difference and there is a saying, “what have u done lately” and Torpeys 2 biggest wins ever were 2019, even before COVID, also, u guys were probably big Amplo/Navy fans as well & the Nova guys coached circles around Amplo at Marquette & Navy, just sayin

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”