What would playoff expansion look like?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

What would playoff expansion look like?

Post by nrthcrosslax »

If more teams were included in the playoffs. What would that look like? How many teams? How would brackets be setup?
I know not realistic at this time but wondering just for fun.
Last edited by nrthcrosslax on Wed May 22, 2024 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Re: What would playoff expansion look like?

Post by coda »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:15 am If more teams were included in the playoffs. What would that look like? How many teams? How would brackets be setup?
I just dont see it happening. If games started being covered on ESPN or a major network, it would make sense to expand.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

coda wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:17 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:15 am If more teams were included in the playoffs. What would that look like? How many teams? How would brackets be setup?
I just dont see it happening. If games started being covered on ESPN or a major network, it would make sense to expand.
I agree it probably won't happen anytime soon. The total number of D1 teams may not justify it, etc. Just wondering what people think it should look like.
coda

Post by coda »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:20 am
coda wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:17 am
I agree it probably won't happen anytime soon. The total number of D1 teams may not justify it, etc. Just wondering what people think it should look like.
I think at best they expand to another play in game.
Phillylax22

Post by Phillylax22 »

If they have one playin game they can have 4. Expand to 20 teams.
20 plays 13
19 plays 14
18 plays 15
17 plays 16
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Or 24 get in
Top 8 get a bye
9-24 play round 1 to get into sweet 16
Top 7 out this year likely
Penn
Cornell
Yale
Delaware
Richmond
Army
BU
Villanova
?
First round games would be awesome
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

there will be 2-4 more at larges (probable is 2-3) in the next 2 years and the mens lacrosse committee (which has i believe already been set up, people) will determine how to set up the brackets.

if past is a guide, they will likely lean on an even number of teams, and given the number will probably be 20 (or less likely 22), there won't be several play-ins but rather a first round with x number of teams getting byes.
ie: 20 teams, 8 teams would play in a first round, and 12 would get byes to the round of 16. i would guess half and half between aq's and at larges in the 1st round, or maybe just the lowest 8 rpi teams. does the atlantic 10 incoming mean there will be 9 aq's shortly? not sure, but that's what i recall. so 9 aq's and 11 at larges in that case.

i have grown weary of linking that the nc$$ has already passed proposals to expand sports' tournaments, with other initiatives to have the single sports have more say on rules such as this and many other things vs the hierarchy previously. so i guess everyone can be shocked when it happens. they also have a committment to spend more money on these tournaments, so hopefully rosters for playoffs can be expanded and we can lose some of the matchups and seedings based on flights.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”