TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by jhu06 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm You just know he killed the groundhog
There's a reason the suits he and Anish wore Sunday haven't been seen on air since tv went to color.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

In the summary of the ND - Geogetown game that ESPNU ran at least three times, Entemann's save percentage was described as "around 50%." For the record, "around 40%" or "below 50%" would have been more accurate, while "44%" would have been the most exact without going into decimal places.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

The broadcast crews get a lot of hate on here, esp. the ESPN crew, which I generally disagree with. I am a huge consumer of televised and streamed lacrosse games, as well as hockey games college and professional. I am generally satisfied with what I get from ESPN and BIG on lacrosse.

I am now watching game 7 v Canucks/Oilers, which is probably being watched by a few million people in the US, and I get John Buccigross on pbp. I like him, but he is not a professional pbp guy. He is worse than any of the guys calling the NCAA games. Of course, Ray Ferraro is his color guy and he is laser focused on the game.

I don't mind when the announcing crew has a little back and forth with local eateries, or teases each other, or discusses some players HS background. It's called "color" for a reason.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

they don't even know when a shot hits the pipe or a goalie makes a save. they don't know the rules on hits and are often lost on what calls are. they've simply been on the big games for far too long. it is others' turn, and we shouldn't have to suffer any longer.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:06 pm they don't even know when a shot hits the pipe or a goalie makes a save. they don't know the rules on hits and are often lost on what calls are. they've simply been on the big games for far too long. it is others' turn, and we shouldn't have to suffer any longer.
Maybe, I don't think so. Agree to diagree.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:06 pm they don't even know when a shot hits the pipe or a goalie makes a save. they don't know the rules on hits and are often lost on what calls are. they've simply been on the big games for far too long. it is others' turn, and we shouldn't have to suffer any longer.
Please, why do these guys live rent free in your head? For me I focus on the game and the announcers are just background noise. I do appreciate the play by play guy when I am not familiar with the teams but otherwise, I really don’t give a ####
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:59 pm
Please, why do these guys live rent free in your head? For me I focus on the game and the announcers are just background noise. I do appreciate the play by play guy when I am not familiar with the teams but otherwise, I really don’t give a ####
who said they live rent free in my head? who are you?

you can watch games any way you'd like, that is fine by me. u participant likes them, that's also of course fine. so we disagree.

this is a message board?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:04 pm

you can watch games any way you'd like, that is fine by me. u participant likes them, that's also of course fine. so we disagree.

this is a message board?
I said they live in your head rent free. I stated my opinion. This is a message board.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:15 pm

this is a message board?
I said they live in your head rent free. I stated my opinion. This is a message board.
because i made a comment about announcers on an announcers thread. sounds like they've got you leading their fanboy club. congrats. they're professionals and public figures. think they'll be fine.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 pm

this is a message board?
because i made a comment about announcers on an announcers thread. sounds like they've got you leading their fanboy club. congrats. they're professionals and public figures. think they'll be fine.
I’m sorry I struck a nerve and I apologize I am not a prolific poster as you. Who are you? I just find this constant bashing of announcers a little silly. Whatever crew is working is fine with me. That being said I do think Boyle is very good. Quint is kinda weird but whatever. He’s definitely polarizing but whatever. As you said. watch how you like. I prefer to focus on the game not the announcers. A good pbp is nice though. Benanati is great
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:30 pm

this is a message board?
I’m sorry I struck a nerve and I apologize I am not a prolific poster as you. Who are you? I just find this constant bashing of announcers a little silly. Whatever crew is working is fine with me. That being said I do think Boyle is very good. Quint is kinda weird but whatever. He’s definitely polarizing but whatever. As you said. watch how you like. I prefer to focus on the game not the announcers. A good pbp is nice though. Benanati is great
i mean you could start by dropping the passive aggressive b.s., which it sounds like you're capable of. you lead with it originally, which in combo with me not remembering any discussions we'd had to come in that way is why i asked who you were. i suspect you expected a reply after that?

the op i replied to didn't give all his thoughts i'm sure, though referenced the sideshow stuff they get into as being relatively harmless (paraphrasing). my response was about just a couple things that go to the meat of the game. and that there are other announcers, too. if you consider that post bashing and needed your kind of defense, well here we are.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:52 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:30 pm

this is a message board?
i mean you could start by dropping the passive aggressive b.s., which it sounds like you're capable of. you lead with it originally, which in combo with me not remembering any discussions we'd had to come in that way is why i asked who you were. i suspect you expected a reply after that?

the op i replied to didn't give all his thoughts i'm sure, though referenced the sideshow stuff they get into as being relatively harmless (paraphrasing). my response was about just a couple things that go to the meat of the game. and that there are other announcers, too. if you consider that post bashing and needed your kind of defense, well here we are.
Fair. I do get tired of the Q bashing. Hop faithful say he’s biased. Non hop say he’s biased. It can’t be both ways. IMO, he’s weird and likes to troll everyone. He probably relishes in the bs.
I’d rather have Benanati than Anish any day.
To be fair. They did say they didn’t have a close view of the field.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Quint did murder a groundhog. I’ll stand by this. I’m ok with it. Currently, dealing with a vole problem
old salt

Post by old salt »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:09 pm Joe Beninati is the best our sport has to offer.
I appreciate the way JoeB tells us who has the ball, as it moves around. It's helpful when watching a team that you've not watched so much that you've memorized every player's #.
SouthCackaLAXy

Post by SouthCackaLAXy »

old salt wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:32 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:09 pm Joe Beninati is the best our sport has to offer.
I appreciate the way JoeB tells us who has the ball, as it moves around. It's helpful when watching a team that you've not watched so much that you've memorized every player's #.
Agree. JoeB is the best. Boyle and Dixon round out the triumvirate for me. I do also enjoy Coach Zim some. He reminds me of old Baltimore Colt Art Donovan ('Unlike these prima donnas today, we didn't have cruciates when we played football.'). No frills.

Last year during one of the games, there was a 'technical difficulty' where all you could hear was the sideline/crowd mics. It was fantastic. Man, i wish that was an every-game option. I cranked the volume. Conversely, whenever i hear Anish drop an awkward GoT or LOTR reference, or Carc with ''(insert name) is the best (insert position) to play the game" a couple times every broadcast, I tend to cut the sound for a bit. The frequency is to the point where it could be a drinking game
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

SouthCackaLAXy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:23 am
Agree. JoeB is the best. Boyle and Dixon round out the triumvirate for me. I do also enjoy Coach Zim some. He reminds me of old Baltimore Colt Art Donovan ('Unlike these prima donnas today, we didn't have cruciates when we played football.'). No frills.

Last year during one of the games, there was a 'technical difficulty' where all you could hear was the sideline/crowd mics. It was fantastic. Man, i wish that was an every-game option. I cranked the volume. Conversely, whenever i hear Anish drop an awkward GoT or LOTR reference, or Carc with ''(insert name) is the best (insert position) to play the game" a couple times every broadcast, I tend to cut the sound for a bit. The frequency is to the point where it could be a drinking game
Carc is nails on the chalkboard for me. He ruins watching games for me so my solution is to mute the sound. I cannot stand listening to him. He's a tool and I cannot believe he is still broadcasting. How has he not been removed from ALL broadcasts yet forever?!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm You just know he killed the groundhog
:lol: :lol: He absolutely butchered the groundhog. You could almost literally see the wheels spinning in his head when he said he went out there with a shovel and (…..oh crap, this is really not going to go over well if I finish this story) “scares” it away with the shovel. Could have used his keeper stick for that.
10ManRide50

Post by 10ManRide50 »

Sunnylax wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:34 am
SouthCackaLAXy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:23 am

Carc is nails on the chalkboard for me. He ruins watching games for me so my solution is to mute the sound. I cannot stand listening to him. He's a tool and I cannot believe he is still broadcasting. How has he not been removed from ALL broadcasts yet forever?!

I could not agree more. He absolutely spends most of the broadcast making sh*t up. Is it possible for a middie to just be a middie and not the "best middie in college lacrosse who can plant his left foot before his right foot when making a split dodge". I would be willing to wager that 95% of his audience (unlike other sports) have played lacrosse at some level and know that these kids are out there just playing and not going through all of the machinations he is giving them credit for!
Funny that another poster mentioned them all crediting goalies for saves when the ball clearly has hit a pipe. The new Gilman goals give off a very distinctive sound and it is nothing like hitting a helmet, stick, chest protector or leg. If we can clearly hear it sitting at home you would think Cotter and crew would as well.
Finally, where are you Leif Elsmo when we need you?
DMac

Post by DMac »

10ManRide50 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:57 am Carc is nails on the chalkboard for me. He ruins watching games for me so my solution is to mute the sound. I cannot stand listening to him. He's a tool and I cannot believe he is still broadcasting. How has he not been removed from ALL broadcasts yet forever?!
Key words there are "for me", and believe that he is still broadcasting as he has been for quite a long time now. Not only has he not been removed from all broadcasts but has been given more and more spots (he and CN actually bring some pretty good half time clips) as well as doing other sports. Carc is just eaten up with it, you can't question his love and passion for the game (has great respect for the history too). He is who he is and the big shots at ESPN must like who he is. JFTR, he annoys me as well, I actually named the (annoying) trio TEAM QuAC a couple of years back, but I wouldn't bet on them going anywhere anytime soon, seems as if there are more people who like them than not (and you can't question their knowledge of the game, you do occasionally get some good insight from them). Mute is your answer but you do miss some things when you do that,
Doesn't matter who is doing the game(s) either, there are going to be those who like them and those who don't (and we do like to criticize and complain here at Fanlax). If I were a gambler I'd bet you'll be listening to TEAM QuAC again next year too.
Lax904

Post by Lax904 »

If the color guys is going to rave over and over about the brilliant coaching adjustments, PLEASE tell us what they were! As someone who calls games, I know how hard it can be and try not to be too critical. With that said, count me as a founding member of the Joe B fan club.
@Lax904
“Cradle to the Grave w Kerwick and Carnicelli”
Podcast- Lax Allstars

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”