DIII TRANSFERS

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: DIII TRANSFERS

Post by Leonard Washington »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:26 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:19 pm Most certainly not...
That's helpful. Thanks. I do have to say, watching JHU stay alive with a 5th year AA in goal (who happened to play at the same school that the current head coach used to coach at) felt a little strange. Similar, watching two Princeton transfers help SU a LOT. I dunno. All's fair because every team has the same transfer advantage but I have to say, I miss players being recruited and watching them try to make it happen within their 4 year window.
With the porta (these days)l being a necessity for some as opposed to a curiosity for most when it came about in 2018, the amount of players that are not happy with their situation after one year at a particular institution is always interesting, especially at the (lower) DI and DII level
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Transfers used to be some kid from MD feels like he's not getting a fair shot at SU so he transfers to UMD. Which became a kid from LI plays for 3 years at BU, tears it up, and then transfers to UNC for his senior year to see if he can win a national c'ship. Today it's a far cry from these two scenarios.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

who can clarify.

D3 kid that plays 4 years (21,22,23,24) still has one more year of eligibility, but only at D3. correct? these players can’t transfer to D1 and claim his extra year.

But a D1 kid during that same time, has maxed out at D1 eligibility, and can transfer to D3 and take advance of that extra year. is this correct?

so we could potentially see some D1 to D3 transfers for kids that have maxed out of eligibility at D1, but just want one more year to play lax.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:34 pm Transfers used to be some kid from MD feels like he's not getting a fair shot at SU so he transfers to UMD. Which became a kid from LI plays for 3 years at BU, tears it up, and then transfers to UNC for his senior year to see if he can win a national c'ship. Today it's a far cry from these two scenarios.
He couldn't.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:58 pm who can clarify.

D3 kid that plays 4 years (21,22,23,24) still has one more year of eligibility, but only at D3. correct? these players can’t transfer to D1 and claim his extra year.

But a D1 kid during that same time, has maxed out at D1 eligibility, and can transfer to D3 and take advance of that extra year. is this correct?

so we could potentially see some D1 to D3 transfers for kids that have maxed out of eligibility at D1, but just want one more year to play lax.
Not totally sure but I don't think that is right about the D1 to D3 transfer. I think you had to been at at a D3 school at the time. A D3 player who played 21, 22, 23, 24 does have one more year to play in D3. Ivy players also have one more year because the schools punched themselves in the balls and sat out 2021. I forget whether D3 players can now transfer to D1 and claim a second COVID year. I didn't think so but heard some discussion about Boyden playing another year at UVA (which would be his 6th year of college lax).
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

D3: players were given TWO years of eligibility due to 2020 being canceled and 2021 being a crapshoot (some teams playing a normal season and some teams playing 4)

D1: Players were only given ONE year due to the pandemic.

D3 to D1 transfers like Boyden do in fact have another year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

the_fish_whist1er wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:27 pm D3: players were given TWO years of eligibility due to 2020 being canceled and 2021 being a crapshoot (some teams playing a normal season and some teams playing 4)

Correct, but I think that’s why he was asking about the years 21,22,23,24. A DIII player who was a freshman in 21’ only gets the 1 year (because he wasn’t there for 2020).

If I recall, in the 2023 eligibility update, the NCAA left the criteria for “years of eligibility able to be used as a grad student” fairly vague, which allows for the DIII blanket 21’ year to be used at DI.

NCAA graduate transfer rules

You can participate in sports as a graduate. Here are some of the requirements to do that:

-You must graduate from your current college/university.
-Have at least one year of eligibility on your five-year clock.
-You must be going to a graduate school that has your sport.”
Last edited by DeepPocket on Mon May 20, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:38 pm
the_fish_whist1er wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:27 pm D3: players were given TWO years of eligibility due to 2020 being canceled and 2021 being a crapshoot (some teams playing a normal season and some teams playing 4)

Correct, but I think that’s why he was asking about the years 21,22,23,24. A DIII player who was a freshman in 21’ only gets the 1 year (because he wasn’t there for 2020).

If I recall, in the 2023 eligibility update, they left the criteria for “years of eligibility able to be used as a grad student” fairly vague, which allows for the DIII blanket 21’ year to be used at DI.

You can participate in sports as a graduate. Here are some of the requirements to do that:

Yes, no one who was a freshman in 2021 gets a second year and D1 players only get the one year if they were playing in 2020. Any idea about the other question DeepPocket? D1 guys who were freshman (in D1) in 2020 can't transfer to D3 for another year next year, correct?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:44 pm

If I recall, in the 2023 eligibility update, they left the criteria for “years of eligibility able to be used as a grad student” fairly vague, which allows for the DIII blanket 21’ year to be used at DI.

Yes, no one who was a freshman in 2021 gets a second year and D1 players only get the one year if they were playing in 2020. Any idea about the other question DeepPocket? D1 guys who were freshman (in D1) in 2020 can't transfer to D3 for another year next year, correct?
Sorry, was editing it into my original response.

I cannot imagine a DI player is able to gain a year of eligibility by coming to DIII. 21’ at the DI level burned a year of eligibility, so if he/she was there for that year, it’s burned. (Unless someone applied for, and got, a waiver- which Coach Berkman specifically has had been able to assist his players with in the past)
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:48 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:44 pm

Sorry, was editing it into my original response.

I cannot imagine a DI player is able to gain a year of eligibility by coming to DIII. 21’ at the DI level burned a year of eligibility, so if he/she was there for that year, it’s burned. (Unless someone applied for, and got, a waiver- which Coach Berkman specifically has had been able to assist his players with in the past)
i have heard a rumor of a D1 player who entered college fall 2020. so he played D1 21,22,23, and 24. and the rumor is they are going D3 this fall to play
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:56 pm i have heard a rumor of a D1 player who entered college fall 2020. so he played D1 21,22,23, and 24. and the rumor is they are going D3 this fall to play
Would not surprise me in the least. Here’s the DI COVID eligibility guide for your reading pleasure. (Good luck)
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compli ... bility.pdf

And this doesn’t even take into account the aforementioned personal waivers that are being given out in excess across many sports at the moment.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:11 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:56 pm i have heard a rumor of a D1 player who entered college fall 2020. so he played D1 21,22,23, and 24. and the rumor is they are going D3 this fall to play
Would not surprise me in the least. Here’s the DI COVID eligibility guide for your reading pleasure. (Good luck)
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compli ... bility.pdf

And this doesn’t even take into account the aforementioned personal waivers that are being given out in excess across many sports at the moment.
I'm knee deep in LL baseball. My 10u kid found the game last spring and my 7u kid has been all in from the jump. Hadn't played since I was 14 (when I found lacrosse). I've been chasing coaching and development enablement. Lots of good stuff out there, and trash too. One of my more recent pick-ups is Skills that Scale by Driveline Baseball's Devon Morgan. There is a chapter about the proclivity of all parents to want to keep their kids safe. Safety, in LL, means "winning" most of the time. Awesome book. I think that also applies to these extra years in our game. Parents fund the extra year(s), in part, to keep their kids "safe."
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I apologize for being obtuse, but the list posted by DeepPocket » Thu May 16, 2024 9:30 pm is a list of players transferring OUT of the school listed, is that correct?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes, or at least looking to transfer out. You can still return after placing your name in the portal, though I imagine that could be somewhat awkward at times.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:31 am ... though I imagine that could be somewhat awkward at times.
I think "at times" is the operant word. I think for many, maybe most, it's seen as just a player testing the market. (Though, admittedly, for many, it's a player who is done with their current program and they very much want a way out.) Putting their toe in the water, little different than a free agent on a professional team. I can see how a player putting their name on the market would not endear him to a coach. But I wonder how much putting one's name in the portal would effect their status on the coach's chalkboard. Coaches, in general, play the players who can play, portal or otherwise.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:19 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm Pre-Covid, correct me if I'm wrong, we didn't have the volume of transfers in NCAA lacrosse like we have now, right? It's like Zoom calls and transfers skyrocketed.
Most certainly not. D3, through some horrific decision making, granted 2! extra COVID years for all players enrolled in 2020. Next year will be the final year this applies (and also for Ivy players due to the pathetic decision by them to cancel their 2021 season for reasons). The asterixis are seniors. After next year, the number of transfers will drop dramatically as a "grad year" will no longer be a thing unless you a) redshirted (does happen and more and more frequently in D1 but nothing like the numbers now) or b) graduated in 3 years. It will make for much more balanced teams as opposed to the uber unbalanced beasts stacked with 5th and 6th year players (ND has 25 seniors and grad students)
Agree with the 6th year extension but for this year’s seniors, they missed their entire senior season. At Dickinson, they attended the first semester remotely with no fall ball and were required to practice in pods of no more than 10 and were not allowed to socialize outside of their pod of 12 teammates. They did not have a freshman year in college. They played 6 games that year and one exhibition. These young men have had 3 years of full seasons. To have the opportunity to play at a top ten D-1 school and earn a degree from a top 20 university is a good choice. Dickinson does not have graduate programs so we did not have any of the 5th and 6th year players to whom you are referring. I will also be happy for the landscape to even out as the Salisburys, Tufts, CNUs and RITs seem to have a fair number of these 5th and 6th year players.
The D-1 team that gets the Union FOS is getting a jewell of a player.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Devil4Life wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:22 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm Pre-Covid, correct me if I'm wrong, we didn't have the volume of transfers in NCAA lacrosse like we have now, right? It's like Zoom calls and transfers skyrocketed.
Most certainly not. D3, through some horrific decision making, granted 2! extra COVID years for all players enrolled in 2020. Next year will be the final year this applies (and also for Ivy players due to the pathetic decision by them to cancel their 2021 season for reasons). The asterixis are seniors. After next year, the number of transfers will drop dramatically as a "grad year" will no longer be a thing unless you a) redshirted (does happen and more and more frequently in D1 but nothing like the numbers now) or b) graduated in 3 years. It will make for much more balanced teams as opposed to the uber unbalanced beasts stacked with 5th and 6th year players (ND has 25 seniors and grad students)
Agree with the 6th year extension but for this year’s seniors, they missed their entire senior season. At Dickinson, they attended the first semester remotely with no fall ball and were required to practice in pods of no more than 10 and were not allowed to socialize outside of their pod of 12 teammates. They did not have a freshman year in college. They played 6 games that year and one exhibition. These young men have had 3 years of full seasons. To have the opportunity to play at a top ten D-1 school and earn a degree from a top 20 university is a good choice. Dickinson does not have graduate programs so we did not have any of the 5th and 6th year players to whom you are referring. I will also be happy for the landscape to even out as the Salisburys, Tufts, CNUs and RITs seem to have a fair number of these 5th and 6th year players.
Agreed, The Centennial and NESCAC could not have handled Covid worse. Watching my step son online for his last year was what it was but watching other teams play double the games was insulting. Its over now but I have no issue with the extra years I credit d3 for relizing this was going to be a joke for some conferences as it was in the "we are smarter than you" conferences
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Devil4Life wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:22 am I will also be happy for the landscape to even out as the Salisburys, Tufts, CNUs and RITs seem to have a fair number of these 5th and 6th year players.
Correction, Tufts has zero 5th/6th year players. In fact they only have 3 seniors who see time, their starting goalie, a third-line middie and a ssdm.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:32 am
Devil4Life wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:22 am
Agreed, The Centennial and NESCAC could not have handled Covid worse. Watching my step son online for his last year was what it was but watching other teams play double the games was insulting. Its over now but I have no issue with the extra years I credit d3 for relizing this was going to be a joke for some conferences as it was in the "we are smarter than you" conferences
I completely agree that the NESCAC and Centennial decisions were horrible. They were clearly scientifically illiterate virtue signaling at the time and were proven even more so subsequently. Personally, and this is an admission against interest as a NESCAC fan, to me that is an argument for NOT granting a second COVID year. If there was only one year, the players who would have suffered the most were the NESCAC and centennial ones. I would feel bad for them but the schools would have suffered more in reputation for their horrible choice (of course schools in both conferences would still not want for applicants). The second year specifically rescues the players at those schools and gives a pointless 5th or 6th year of college lacrosse to those at other schools. Think of the high school class of 2021. They had their junior year and, for some of them, their senior years cancelled and will spend their entire 4 years in school competing for time with 23, 24, 25 years old super seniors/grad students. 2020 was a life’s not fair, act of god, one off disaster. Should have just moved on from there.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”