D3 Mens Lacrosse
choochooCharlie

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by choochooCharlie »

SouthieLax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:19 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:37 am
The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:32 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:10 am

Of course it's a success, and he's a great player. What I'm saying is the the transition isn't easy.
Why did he have to switch to midfield?
He had to switch because when you have Shellenberger, Kormier, and Millon as your starting attack, there is no room for him to really play. Not sure who the forth attack-man was but to make room for him as weapon who is constantly on the field, it make more sense for him to be a midfielder.
Thus proving laxdad’s point.

He had to switch positions to “really play” at a high level DI program.
Again, that’s wrong. There is an interview with Lars in preseason where he talks about how they looked at Millon/Boydon one would start at attack and one at midfield and they landed on Boydon (a former middie) being better suited for that role.
:roll: 2 attackmen, and 1 won the job. Lars chose to say it in a gracious way, move along.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Of course it's a success, and he's a great player. What I'm saying is the the transition isn't easy.
He had to switch because when you have Shellenberger, Kormier, and Millon as your starting attack, there is no room for him to really play. Not sure who the forth attack-man was but to make room for him as weapon who is constantly on the field, it make more sense for him to be a midfielder.

Again, that’s wrong. There is an interview with Lars in preseason where he talks about how they looked at Millon/Boydon one would start at attack and one at midfield and they landed on Boydon (a former middie) being better suited for that role.
He was beat out by a freshman...No shame in it.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

My point was that to maximize JB talent and have him on the field as much as possible, you put him on midfield. I did not see the interview, all I know if you have 4 great attack man and you want them all on the field, then you put one on midfield. That is what UVA did.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:40 pm

My point was that to maximize JB talent and have him on the field as much as possible, you put him on midfield. I did not see the interview, all I know if you have 4 great attack man and you want them all on the field, then you put one on midfield. That is what UVA did.
If they wanted him on the field as much as possible he would be at Attack. The clock more minutes than Mids.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

JB's more similar to Cormier as he has ridiculous stick skills, altho obviously more of a feeder than Cormier (as finisher). He is not the dynamic dodger of Millon or Shellenberger, who may be the best ATK in the country. If he stays another year (which is not certain), he would almost certainly take an ATK spot as Courmier and Shelly are out of eligibility.

note: Courmier is the all-time NCAA leader in goals and Shelly is (I believe) VA's all-time point scorer. Pretty hard to beat one of those two out.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:45 pm
If they wanted him on the field as much as possible he would be at Attack. The clock more minutes than Mids.
[/quote]

Millon might be better - he was the #1 recruit in the country in 2023. Come on, this now it is just getting stupid. JB was able to make the transition to D1 and is a starter on Virgina. Whether he plays attack or midfield, he is starting on Virginia. Kids switch position often in college lacrosse. You play where the coach thinks you are best suited to play.
Mickey Mantle

Post by Mickey Mantle »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:58 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 am Some of us just weren't/aren't good enough. Some of us came to the game late. Some of us are underexposed from a recruiting perspective. All of us are served well by the student/athlete experience. The only things D1 gives you over D3 after your playing days are over and (hopefully) your degree is in use are bragging rights, name recognition, and probably a few more nagging injuries.
i would say less injuries, because D1 has better facilities, more coaches, and more trainers.

but you are right, unless you are a top 50 player at your age, the only advantage to D1 is bragging rights to those that don’t understand.

D3 kids get more playing time, more games, smaller class sizes, lower tuition cost. a little more freedom (not much anymore). and the best part of college sports, you get to play more games agains friends and past teammates.
Agree with all of this - with one quibble. Not all D3 schools have “lower tuition costs”.. . NESCACs are among the most expensive schools in the country.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Boyden plays midfield for UVA because he was a newcomer to a team with two returning All-Americans (one a 3x 1st-Teamer and multiple Tewaaraton finalist, the other Virginia’s all-time leading scorer) and the #1 recruit in the country at his natural position, but he was too good to not have on the field. Similar dynamic to Regnery playing midfield for Tufts last season even though he’s an attackman. Trying to spin that as a negative is ridiculous.

And yeah, NESCACs are incredibly expensive. They do give out a ton of financial aid, but…lacrosse recruits are not often the ones drawing from that resource.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

ah23 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:12 pm Boyden plays midfield for UVA because he was a newcomer to a team with two returning All-Americans (one a 3x 1st-Teamer and multiple Tewaaraton finalist, the other Virginia’s all-time leading scorer) and the #1 recruit in the country at his natural position, but he was too good to not have on the field. Similar dynamic to Regnery playing midfield for Tufts last season even though he’s an attackman. Trying to spin that as a negative is ridiculous.

And yeah, NESCACs are incredibly expensive. They do give out a ton of financial aid, but…lacrosse recruits are not often the ones drawing from that resource.
Well said ah23. The way some people are spinning it into a negative is mind-blowing. JB starts are midfield on Virginia. Impressive if you ask me.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm
Millon might be better - he was the #1 recruit in the country in 2023. Come on, this now it is just getting stupid. JB was able to make the transition to D1 and is a starter on Virgina. Whether he plays attack or midfield, he is starting on Virginia. Kids switch position often in college lacrosse. You play where the coach thinks you are best suited to play.
[/quote]

I made one comment on how incredibly difficult the transition is, and your still going. The best player in D3 last year, a 24 year old, is a bit player on a top 4 D1 team...that's the difference between the divisions. I've been saying it for 6 months.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:07 pm
I made one comment on how incredibly difficult the transition is, and your still going. The best player in D3 last year, a 24 year old, is a bit player on a top 4 D1 team...that's the difference between the divisions. I've been saying it for 6 months.
[/quote]

I made one comment on how incredibly difficult the transition is, and your still going. The best player in D3 last year, a 24 year old, is a top 4 offensive player on a top 4 D1 team...that's the difference between the divisions.

Fixed it for you.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:23 pm
I made one comment on how incredibly difficult the transition is, and your still going. The best player in D3 last year, a 24 year old, is a top 4 offensive player on a top 4 D1 team...that's the difference between the divisions.

Fixed it for you.
[/quote]

75% decrease in production, awesome.
“Bigger, faster, stronger”
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

What a hill to die on…going after a player who had 3g in the D1 Quarters yesterday and is their leading scoring middie. UVA has 242 goals this year, Tufts had 468 last year. Lot more points to go around last season. Just stop.
choochooCharlie

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:44 pm 75% decrease in production, awesome.
“Bigger, faster, stronger”
How dare you bring facts to this discussion.
You’ve been reported and blocked.
Make that DOUBLE blocked!
Mickey Mantle

Post by Mickey Mantle »

Speaking of ex-NESCAC players playing at UVA, let’s not forget Chase Yager. While he is a grad transfer from Harvard, he spent his first two seasons at Amherst. Played on the team that played Cabrini in the final game in 2019, only to leave amid the COVID/Lax coach debacle in 2020-2021. Now the starting SSDM for UVA. Interesting journey.
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

[/quote]

A bit player? GTFO. Virginia—one of the top DI programs—is not advancing in the tournament without him.
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

Calling the top middie on perennial power like UVA a 'bit player' is just a longer way for someone to say they know they're wrong but they never learned the life skills to deal with those situations graciously.
richard

Post by richard »

Take this stuff to the NESCAC thread please. Nobody is interested. :roll:
Dlaxva5

Post by Dlaxva5 »

liongoes wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:56 pm Calling the top middie on perennial power like UVA a 'bit player' is just a longer way for someone to say they know they're wrong but they never learned the life skills to deal with those situations graciously.
Can you all start a different Forum for this, or redirect all of this to this NESCAC forum. Painful to read the back and forth on the hypothetical theoretical.
choochooCharlie

Bucket wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:54 pm A bit player? GTFO. Virginia—one of the top DI programs—is not advancing in the tournament without him.
Without who? What’s are you on about?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”