Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by 1766 »

But what about the goalies they recruited and transferred in? Aren't they getting screwed bringing in a grad student? This is the logic some use when bringing in grad transfers.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

PotomacRiver wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:53 am Longtime reader of the forum even back to Laxpower days (and Hopkins alum), finally decided to join in. First off congrats to the 2024 senior class, they went through a roller coaster during their tenure but led the program out from its nadir and leave it with a bright future. At the risk of echoing points made by others, a few thoughts on this season and next:

-Disappointing to not make final four, but the program continues its upwards trajectory
-Defense was a joy to watch, Koesterer one of the best coordinators (O and D) in the country
-Ierlan was a game changer, first one we've really had at the position in at least a decade
-As 51percentcorn points out, offensive issues came down to personnel. Losing Melendez as a major threat was huge, he was one of our only players last year who could credibly pose a threat to score dodging against a pole (and cause D to overreact when switched onto a shortie). English would have a key this year but unfortunately down early with injury. Angelus is excellent player and did a great job QBing offense, but he wasn't a scoring threat 1v1 against the opposing team's #1 pole, and while he improved this year looking to score against switched shorties, teams still weren't terrified of him in that situation. Watching yesterday, VA rarely sent a true hard slide to the ball carrier, they almost exclusively were hedging off the crease or adjacent as a deterrent.
-I think Collison is an interesting, really good player, but certain fans want him to be something he is not, unless he improves dramatically over the next two years. He's not the same kind of player as Rabil, Harrison, or Steve Peyser. He's huge with a really good stick and hard shot; majority of his goals this year came as the "crease man" on EMO or shots off ball movement. I understand the frustration of him not pushing the shortstick matchup more this year, but at the same time, doesn't it say something that basically every opposing team decided that Bauer, not Collison, should get the pole matchup? Watching the tape, teams force him to his right and rarely send a slide into his face going that direction, but have a slide ready from his blindside in case he rolls back to his left.

2025 and beyond
-Getting English and Melendez healthy and effective are key. I think Collison may be better suited for attack, but he and Chauvette overlap at that lefty attack position and we are better with both on the field. A 1st midfield of Collison, English, and Bauer (if he comes back?) might work - teams would likely pole English, leaving Bauer to play a similar role as this year only now matching up against a shortie. Rather than having him as a primary dodger, I'd try to free up Collison off-ball more either setting slip picks for the ball carrier, or getting him moving around in space (and free up with off-ball picks) assuming Bauer/English can reliably draw a hard slide.
-Defense should will again be a strength next year with Smith and Kilrain, goalie a question mark.
-Beyond 2025, comes down to recruiting and player development. Recruiting landscape is absolutely more difficult now than in early 2000s and the 1990s. On the one hand, the floor for most players is higher than ever, so mid-tier teams aren't pushovers (see Navy upset, etc). But as stated before, true game changing players that are threats to score against longpoles and also have the vision to throw skip passes against a sliding defense are rare. Hopefully as the program continues its current success under Milliman, we'll be able to land one of those. But for every can't miss prospect (Steele Stanwick, Jeff Teat, Shellenberger, Mike Powell, Ryan Boyle, etc), there are guys that fly under the radar that come up big (Peter Baum, Ben Reeves, etc). Time will tell, but I think the future for the program is very bright.
Collison didn’t push the SSDM matchups this season because that was not the role he was assigned most of the time.

Collison is unusual because he is a big man who has excellent stick skills and body control … like a lot of Canadian players, he works well inside.

His role was to set up a dodge for someone like Bauer, maybe set a pick, and then move off-ball for a give and go. Or he would cut inside for a feed from Angelus.

His role most of the time could have been played by someone 5ft 10in and 165 lbs. His stick skills and ability to operate in close quarters made him effective in that role.

Vast majority of time Collison didn’t even consider dodging against a SSDM. That wasn’t the role he was assigned to play.

Now … one of the biggest insults I ever heard from Dom Starsia was his comment that a particularly BIG (HUGE) lax player that he declined to recruit for Virginia did not play like a big man. Ouch. Too much finesse, not enough physicality. Dom’s teams were almost always physical (in addition to being fast and athletic).

Most of the time, Collison didn’t play like a big guy. That was a choice of the coaches. The big guy was occasionally loosed from his chains when it was time for hero ball, but that got too predictable (watch how Michigan suddenly put a pole on him late in the B1G tournament).

Credit Collison for dutifully playing his assigned role. Critique the coaches for driving a Humvee like a Prius.

And no … I’m not the only one who noticed or commented on this.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

1766 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:44 pm But what about the goalies they recruited and transferred in? Aren't they getting screwed bringing in a grad student? This is the logic some use when bringing in grad transfers.
Agree. Need to develop and play our HS recruits or the goalies will start going elsewhere.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:42 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:15 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:33 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.
please point out the opportunities Marquis had this past season I missed them
06's biggest cardinal sin apart from serving as the new host for RFK Jr.'s brainworm is that he's boring. This is a line we've heard quite literally a dozen times already and it doesn't get any more true with each regurgitation. I wouldn't even engage on this particular point. It's not going to get through to him.

Looking at the portal again, Loyola goalie Luke Staudt is in there — 2.5 year starter around 54%, big lefty and has had some very good games against top competition recently — including the Blue Jays. Wonder if we kick the tires? On the one hand, the goalie room is very close, bringing in another new face could upset the apple cart so to speak and at some point you have to stop relying on the portal. On the other hand...he's a very good goalie, and we need a new goalie. Could see it going either way. Even if there's interest, I assume ND, Cuse (he's from Camillus, NY), and others will be in the mix.
Hop appears in on Staudt with a few others. Cuse is apparently not pursuing. Also heard Hop is in on Hackler but so is every power team with a pulse. Cuse is pursuing heavy on Hackler.
Thanks, Jeremy. While I’d love to see one of the current Gs on the roster be the one to step up, Staudt would be a huge get.

And you guys seem in a better position than most going into 2025. Good time to be a JHU or ‘Cuse fan.
Agreed, I think both squads have a lot of positives to take away from this year and moving forward. I think both will regret not getting one additional win when they look back on the year but still much better then what we both were looking at a few years ago.

Staudt to me makes perfect sense for Hop. Goalie has been a major issue for you guys for awhile and Ierlan was a major upgrade in his 1 year. If you can keep that going for even another year I think you have to even if a longer term solution would be preferable. Hop seems to be in decent shape on both sides of the ball though they could probably use a QB type attackmen and another dodger like Cuse. Also like Cuse feels like they could use another SSDM and maybe a depth middie piece. The lack of use of Marquis is puzzling but sometimes a great box game just doesn't transfer, Thomson has struggled at times for SU but really come on the last half of the year.

Cuse returns a lot but has some issues to address specifically at SSDM and that 3rd attack spot. They have a young goalie a former 5 star whose been waiting his turn so I suspect that's whey they are not pursuing Staudt to replace Mark. A risk for sure but hopefully it pays off.
Seems like everyone is in the SSDM market, Hopkins included. Great SSDMs are like gold in the current game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:15 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.
06's biggest cardinal sin apart from serving as the new host for RFK Jr.'s brainworm is that he's boring. This is a line we've heard quite literally a dozen times already and it doesn't get any more true with each regurgitation. I wouldn't even engage on this particular point. It's not going to get through to him.

Looking at the portal again, Loyola goalie Luke Staudt is in there — 2.5 year starter around 54%, big lefty and has had some very good games against top competition recently — including the Blue Jays. Wonder if we kick the tires? On the one hand, the goalie room is very close, bringing in another new face could upset the apple cart so to speak and at some point you have to stop relying on the portal. On the other hand...he's a very good goalie, and we need a new goalie. Could see it going either way. Even if there's interest, I assume ND, Cuse (he's from Camillus, NY), and others will be in the mix.
Hop appears in on Staudt with a few others. Cuse is apparently not pursuing. Also heard Hop is in on Hackler but so is every power team with a pulse. Cuse is pursuing heavy on Hackler.
Thanks, Jeremy. While I’d love to see one of the current Gs on the roster be the one to step up, Staudt would be a huge get.

And you guys seem in a better position than most going into 2025. Good time to be a JHU or ‘Cuse fan.
Agreed, I think both squads have a lot of positives to take away from this year and moving forward. I think both will regret not getting one additional win when they look back on the year but still much better then what we both were looking at a few years ago.

Staudt to me makes perfect sense for Hop. Goalie has been a major issue for you guys for awhile and Ierlan was a major upgrade in his 1 year. If you can keep that going for even another year I think you have to even if a longer term solution would be preferable. Hop seems to be in decent shape on both sides of the ball though they could probably use a QB type attackmen and another dodger like Cuse. Also like Cuse feels like they could use another SSDM and maybe a depth middie piece. The lack of use of Marquis is puzzling but sometimes a great box game just doesn't transfer, Thomson has struggled at times for SU but really come on the last half of the year.

Cuse returns a lot but has some issues to address specifically at SSDM and that 3rd attack spot. They have a young goalie a former 5 star whose been waiting his turn so I suspect that's whey they are not pursuing Staudt to replace Mark. A risk for sure but hopefully it pays off.
Seems like everyone is in the SSDM market, Hopkins included. Great SSDMs are like gold in the current game.
More like crack.

Just saw JK and PM heading to some unsavory parts of town looking for recruits.

Meanwhile, Crawley is minding the flower shop.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:58 pm
Collison didn’t push the SSDM matchups this season because that was not the role he was assigned most of the time.

Collison is unusual because he is a big man who has excellent stick skills and body control … like a lot of Canadian players, he works well inside.

His role was to set up a dodge for someone like Bauer, maybe set a pick, and then move off-ball for a give and go. Or he would cut inside for a feed from Angelus.

His role most of the time could have been played by someone 5ft 10in and 165 lbs. His stick skills and ability to operate in close quarters made him effective in that role.

Vast majority of time Collison didn’t even consider dodging against a SSDM. That wasn’t the role he was assigned to play.

Now … one of the biggest insults I ever heard from Dom Starsia was his comment that a particularly BIG (HUGE) lax player that he declined to recruit for Virginia did not play like a big man. Ouch. Too much finesse, not enough physicality. Dom’s teams were almost always physical (in addition to being fast and athletic).

Most of the time, Collison didn’t play like a big guy. That was a choice of the coaches. The big guy was occasionally loosed from his chains when it was time for hero ball, but that got too predictable (watch how Michigan suddenly put a pole on him late in the B1G tournament).

Credit Collison for dutifully playing his assigned role. Critique the coaches for driving a Humvee like a Prius.

DocBarrister
Look, I'll be as happy as anyone if Collison comes back next year and becomes the player you are pushing for. But as an alternative view, in the current college game, teams relentlessly attack shortstick matchups on most possessions - if you look at the tape from yesterday, Grimes was initiating the majority of the time against a shortie when the 2nd midfield was in. Your thesis seems to be that the Hopkins coaches were presented with a dream matchup every game, a shortstick on Collison, and decided, "screw it, we hate our jobs and would rather go with the inferior option of Bauer against a pole." Additionally, opposing coaches decided in almost every game that, "Collison is an elite middie, but for some reason Hopkins wants to lose and refuses to dodge with him so we'll gamble on matching him with a shortstick." In reality, I think the Hopkins coaches (and opposing teams) realized that the scouting reports caught up with him a bit: force him right, and if he even thinks about rolling back, send a double to his blind side because he struggles passing out of those situations. Looking at the tape from yesterday, Collison had about 12 dodging attempts:

Possession 2: Dodge against shortie, UVA hedges but no slide. Collison re-dodges, forced right and tries to roll back. UVA sends slide to his blindside, would have been turnover but ref throws flag.

Possession 7: Collison from X on shortie, UVA hedges but no slide. Angelus slips behind and Collison throws it to him for a hangman.

Possession 9: Dodges from up top on shortie, split dodge left to right, UVA hedges from crease but no slide. Later in same possession, Collison dodges from X against shortie going to his left hand, tries to inside roll, UVA sends slide to his blindside, forces bad missed shot

Possession 10: Collison dodges up top against shortie, left to right "split" keeping stick in left hand. Poor angle shot to keeper stick from 10 yards.

Possession 27: Collison dodges up top against shortie, lefty sweep into double team, throws ball out of bounds for turnover.

Possession 29: Bull dodge up top against shortie but stood up, passes away.

Possession 30 (OT): Collision dodges from up top against shortie, left to right "split" keeping stick in left, gets inside for shot but saved.

Possession 33 (OT): Collison dodges from behind against shortie, no double. Same possession, dodges from up top against shortie, does same left to right "split" keeping stick in left hand across his body, tries to bring back across his body to get to his left, defender sits on it and strips him for turnover.

Not trying to rag on him at all, great player, but I think he's much better served as a 3-level scoring threat, either off-ball or dodging against rotating defenders after ball movement so they aren't set up just waiting to hard slide to his blindside when he comes back left.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The roster bomb that's going off this offseason isn't news to them and I'm sure they've been preparing for it for years. I'd also be interested in how much scholarship $ and NIL $ is getting freed up with all that's being lost to graduation and where that's all going now. Remember a lot of these kids were either big time producers like Degnon/Angelus, big time portal adds like Ierlan or big time recruits like Grimes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

PotomacRiver wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:39 pm

DocBarrister
Look, I'll be as happy as anyone if Collison comes back next year and becomes the player you are pushing for. But as an alternative view, in the current college game, teams relentlessly attack shortstick matchups on most possessions - if you look at the tape from yesterday, Grimes was initiating the majority of the time against a shortie when the 2nd midfield was in. Your thesis seems to be that the Hopkins coaches were presented with a dream matchup every game, a shortstick on Collison, and decided, "screw it, we hate our jobs and would rather go with the inferior option of Bauer against a pole." Additionally, opposing coaches decided in almost every game that, "Collison is an elite middie, but for some reason Hopkins wants to lose and refuses to dodge with him so we'll gamble on matching him with a shortstick." In reality, I think the Hopkins coaches (and opposing teams) realized that the scouting reports caught up with him a bit: force him right, and if he even thinks about rolling back, send a double to his blind side because he struggles passing out of those situations. Looking at the tape from yesterday, Collison had about 12 dodging attempts:

Possession 2: Dodge against shortie, UVA hedges but no slide. Collison re-dodges, forced right and tries to roll back. UVA sends slide to his blindside, would have been turnover but ref throws flag.

Possession 7: Collison from X on shortie, UVA hedges but no slide. Angelus slips behind and Collison throws it to him for a hangman.

Possession 9: Dodges from up top on shortie, split dodge left to right, UVA hedges from crease but no slide. Later in same possession, Collison dodges from X against shortie going to his left hand, tries to inside roll, UVA sends slide to his blindside, forces bad missed shot

Possession 10: Collison dodges up top against shortie, left to right "split" keeping stick in left hand. Poor angle shot to keeper stick from 10 yards.

Possession 27: Collison dodges up top against shortie, lefty sweep into double team, throws ball out of bounds for turnover.

Possession 30 (OT): Collision dodges from up top against shortie, left to right "split" keeping stick in left, gets inside for shot but saved.

Possession 33 (OT): Collison dodges from behind against shortie, no double. Same possession, dodges from up top against shortie, does same left to right "split" keeping stick in left hand across his body, tries to bring back across his body to get to his left, defender sits on it and strips him for turnover.

Not trying to rag on him at all, great player, but I think he's much better served as a 3-level scoring threat, either off-ball or dodging against rotating defenders after ball movement so they aren't set up just waiting to hard slide to his blindside when he comes back left.
Well, let’s credit Virginia’s physical D for some of that.

But one thing I noticed is that the Hopkins O doesn’t really work as well in sync when Collison dodges. Dodging is a team effort. They seem to move off-ball well when Bauer or Angelus dodged, but they tend to ball watch (or bull watch) when Collison is bull dodging. The spacing on his dodges isn’t always optimal.

We know Collison can dodge and score with a defender (or two, or three) draped all over him. We have seen him do it. That’s why a midfielder with 30 goals and 10 assists can earn first team AA honors while that production wouldn’t get an attackman HM AA. He’s supposed to get those tough goals.

We will see next year. Crawley and PM could choose to give him a much bigger role, and Collison could become a first team AA-caliber middie, or he can continue to be a productive role player (and he doesn’t need to stop playing that role … just diversify his role more).

Coaches played it too safe on O this season. Again … I’m not the only one who thinks this.

Greatly appreciate your thoughtful posts.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I know there can;t be trades in the college game but can we keep Potomac River through the portal and maybe have someone transfer out?

Great analysis on Collison's yesterday
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:04 pm I know there can;t be trades in the college game but can we keep Potomac River through the portal and maybe have someone transfer out?

I've got notes on every offensive possession - this is what happens when you have a newborn who refuses to sleep at night unless being held....
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

PotomacRiver wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:39 pm

DocBarrister

Wow this is fantastic breakdown. If Collison developed a right hand he would be so much more dangerous
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

PotomacRiver wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:18 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:04 pm I know there can;t be trades in the college game but can we keep Potomac River through the portal and maybe have someone transfer out?

I've got notes on every offensive possession - this is what happens when you have a newborn who refuses to sleep at night unless being held....
Caring for my baby girl was the closest thing I felt to being on call again. Feeding every couple of hours. :)

Congratulations! Enjoy the time … they grow up faster than Collison passing up a dodge against a SSDM!

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:26 pm
Caring for my baby girl was the closest thing I felt to being on call again. Feeding every couple of hours. :)

Congratulations! Enjoy the time … they grow up faster than Collison passing up a dodge against a SSDM!

DocBarrister :D
Thanks! Been an amazing (and tiring) ride so far.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:33 pm ...06's biggest cardinal sin...
No personal attacks.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Has been that way for a long time. That was part of the Petro era downfall. The SSDM were terrible
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:15 pm Seems like everyone is in the SSDM market, Hopkins included. Great SSDMs are like gold in the current game.
This doesn't make sense to me. How hard can it be to find good athletes. In theory, it doesn't even need to be a lacrosse player.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

admin wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:04 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:33 pm ...06's biggest cardinal sin...
No personal attacks.
It's all in the commenting game admin. Appreciate it, but I dish it out so I am willing to take it as long as it doesn't distract the forum.
coda

Post by coda »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:08 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:15 pm Seems like everyone is in the SSDM market, Hopkins included. Great SSDMs are like gold in the current game.
This doesn't make sense to me. How hard can it be to find good athletes. In theory, it doesn't even need to be a lacrosse player.
because everyone want to score. Nobody grows up saying I want to be a bad ass SSDM. 10-20% go to D-Pole. The rest want to score goals. Lacrosse losses a lot of those high end athletes to sports like football.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

coda wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:55 am because everyone want to score...
so, in a word, your answer is, egos. if you're right, that pains me.

i can think of numerous great players who undeniably could score goals who were asked to play DM for the benefit of the team and they acquiesced and, not coincidentally, the teams thrived. in some cases, won national c'ships and the relevant DM players had no small role in the team's success both as players and as powers of example. bottomline, i love d-mids. head scratcher to me why more athletes don't feel the same way. maybe these NCAA teams need team therapists.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
coda

Post by coda »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:22 am
coda wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:55 am because everyone want to score...
so, in a word, your answer is, egos. if you're right, that pains me.

i can think of numerous great players who undeniably could score goals who were asked to play DM for the benefit of the team and they acquiesced and, not coincidentally, the teams thrived. in some cases, won national c'ships and the relevant DM players had no small role in the team's success both as players and as powers of example. bottomline, i love d-mids. head scratcher to me why more athletes don't feel the same way. maybe these NCAA teams need team therapists.
its one of those lost positions. Defensive guys want to play with a long pole. Short sticks want to score. You have to swallow that ego. I do agree that it is a very important position. One issue is you dont see guys make the transition early a lot. Those athletic middies do very well at lower levels. The holes in their offensive games dont get exposed until later.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”