Syracuse
49%
Denver
51%

Total votes: 39

BigTurn

Re: QF #4 Syracuse vs #5 Denver Sunday @ noon

Post by BigTurn »

1766 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:39 pm Spallina being hyped like few others before him did him no favors. I assume his father played a role in this too.

I'd never seen him play until I caught a Cuse game early his first year. It was pretty clear, though a nice player, he wasn't anywhere near the best class in that class. If he was, the class was a poor one overall.

He's a nice player but look at the top ranked guys before and after him. The class after him alone had Duffy, Millon, Kabiri ranked 1-3. You'd take all over those guys over Spallina right now.

Perhaps if he came in with less hype it would have been better for his development. Wearing 22, all of the media attention that was clearly eaten up, though hard to walk away from, likely would have been better for him had that been done.

He's a high IQ player and that is a big plus, but his physical abilities are not top level. He's not quick or particularly strong. That's a tough spot for a top level D1 attackman. Cuse would best be served getting someone else who could draw the top defenseman away due to their dodging ability. Would probably open things up a bit for Spallina so he doesn't have to be the guy, because he isn't.

Tough spot when you are wearing 22.
+1. Good player, seems like a good kid, not at all what the media hypes him up to be. There was an entire thread on here of people whining about how the Kavanagh’s are hyped up. It’s the same affect, except worse since those two can beat top poles and produce in big moments.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:23 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm ... Point being, he certainly was not "invisable."
His stats were 0 points, 2 shots, 3 turnovers, 4 GBs. You're right. Not invisible but visible in the wrong ways.
The point lost on you is, his effort was there. You make if seem as though he wasn't trying. Look I understand his limitations as much as anyone but the kid puts in an effort...constantly.
His effort is always there but will sadly admit that he was invisible and most Cuse fans do rightfully or wrongfully expect more from a #22 than just effort which should be expected by all
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

stupefied wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:28 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm ... Point being, he certainly was not "invisable."
His stats were 0 points, 2 shots, 3 turnovers, 4 GBs. You're right. Not invisible but visible in the wrong ways.
The point lost on you is, his effort was there. You make if seem as though he wasn't trying. Look I understand his limitations as much as anyone but the kid puts in an effort...constantly.
His effort is always there but will sadly admit that he was invisible and most Cuse fans do rightfully or wrongfully expect more from a #22 than just effort which should be expected by all
Yup. Effort is expected from every player.

Think a summer of hardcore Strength/Conditioning/Agility training would go a long way for him. Looks like he's playing box again though.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

1766 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:39 pm Tough spot when you are wearing 22.
and your coach is the ORIGINAL #22 ;)
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Spallina seems like a great kid and by all means, had a great year. The problem is he spent all summer playing box when in reality, as said above, he should be slimming down and focusing on speed.

I think he lacks moves and overcomplicates his dodging. It takes too long and the ball stops in his stick. That player from Cornell, Goldstein I believe, is who he needs to study. He was small and quick, and maybe 150 lbs. when he dodged, it was immediate and made one move to clear his hands and shoot or else he was getting pounded. Spallina needs that. Spallinas back down move does not work bs good teams and clearly will not work at the next level.

The thing I agree most on was the SSDM of Cuse. They didn’t help at all. The Denver kids were big and strong and the Cuse DM got beat handily. It doesn’t matter if you have Dwan and Figueras if every play you are sliding. They need to upgrade that position asap.

Spallina and Hiltz work but not sure if Leo at x helps long term if he can’t pass well like a QB. They will miss the Princeton middies big time next year. I know they’ll be a good team but not a for sure bet for MdW again.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:31 pm

Think a summer of hardcore Strength/Conditioning/Agility training would go a long way for him. Looks like he's playing box again though.
Speed is usally god given or it isn't, hard to "add" speed. That said I think Joey would really benefit from spending as much of the summer on speed training as possible. He's not gonna become Shellenberger or Kabiri but even a slight improvement in his foot speed and overall speed would go a long way for him and his ability to dodge against the best of the best.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:39 pm Spallina seems like a great kid and by all means, had a great year. The problem is he spent all summer playing box when in reality, as said above, he should be slimming down and focusing on speed.

I think he lacks moves and overcomplicates his dodging. It takes too long and the ball stops in his stick. That player from Cornell, Goldstein I believe, is who he needs to study. He was small and quick, and maybe 150 lbs. when he dodged, it was immediate and made one move to clear his hands and shoot or else he was getting pounded. Spallina needs that. Spallinas back down move does not work bs good teams and clearly will not work at the next level.

The thing I agree most on was the SSDM of Cuse. They didn’t help at all. The Denver kids were big and strong and the Cuse DM got beat handily. It doesn’t matter if you have Dwan and Figueras if every play you are sliding. They need to upgrade that position asap.

Spallina and Hiltz work but not sure if Leo at x helps long term if he can’t pass well like a QB. They will miss the Princeton middies big time next year. I know they’ll be a good team but not a for sure bet for MdW again.
English is back next year but they do need to add another high shooting mid. They have a few frosh who played sparingly who may fill that roll in Kellogg and McCarthy. I do agree that Joey should look to change things up a bit with his dodging. Not sure he can emulate Goldstein and his quickness but I think your right on the right path.

SSDM is tough, they lost two guys who would have played a lot early in the year and the position besides Rice was an issue all year long. Spallina's younger brother I think can develop into a good SSDM but he took his lumps at time as a frosh. I suspect they will try and add someone form the portal to help.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:39 pm Spallina seems like a great kid and by all means, had a great year. The problem is he spent all summer playing box when in reality, as said above, he should be slimming down and focusing on speed.

I think he lacks moves and overcomplicates his dodging. It takes too long and the ball stops in his stick. That player from Cornell, Goldstein I believe, is who he needs to study. He was small and quick, and maybe 150 lbs. when he dodged, it was immediate and made one move to clear his hands and shoot. Spallinas back down move does not work and clearly will not work at the next level.

I agree he lacks foot speed/quickness. Not sure you can develop Goldstein's natural quickness. Lacking quickness S tries to body the dman and rarely wins that battle at this level. That said, he has good lax IQ and stick skills, and again whether expected or not, a lot of heart. He certainly was not "invisible" vs Towson last week.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:54 pm

I think he lacks moves and overcomplicates his dodging. It takes too long and the ball stops in his stick. That player from Cornell, Goldstein I believe, is who he needs to study. He was small and quick, and maybe 150 lbs. when he dodged, it was immediate and made one move to clear his hands and shoot. Spallinas back down move does not work and clearly will not work at the next level.

I agree he lacks foot speed/quickness. Not sure you can develop Goldstein's natural quickness. Lacking quickness S tries to body the dman and rarely wins that battle at this level. That said, he has good lax IQ and stick skills, and again whether expected or not, a lot of heart. He certainly was not invisible vs Towson last week.
That’s not the issue. He is never “invisible” against mid-tier or boarder line upper tier programs. He can successfully bully ball 90% of D1 teams It’s when he goes against the upper tier required to advance in the tournament
coda

Post by coda »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:46 pm

Speed is usally god given or it isn't, hard to "add" speed. That said I think Joey would really benefit from spending as much of the summer on speed training as possible. He's not gonna become Shellenberger or Kabiri but even a slight improvement in his foot speed and overall speed would go a long way for him and his ability to dodge against the best of the best.
I was thinking of the comp for him. I am going with Shack Stanwick (the youngest I believe).. Great X attackman. Amazing feeder. High level IQ. Lacked athleticism as a dodger.
Last edited by coda on Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:00 pm

I agree he lacks foot speed/quickness. Not sure you can develop Goldstein's natural quickness. Lacking quickness S tries to body the dman and rarely wins that battle at this level. That said, he has good lax IQ and stick skills, and again whether expected or not, a lot of heart. He certainly was not invisible vs Towson last week.
That’s not the issue. He is never “invisible” against mid-tier or boarder line upper tier programs. He can successfully bully ball 90% of D1 teams It’s when he goes against the upper tier required to advance in the tournament
You mean like Towson's defense?

VS lesser teams, what is the kid supposed to do, not try to score when he can? That makes it "bully ball" :roll: Got it.

Just sippin that "hatorade" again I guess.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Same with Brennan O’Neill. You can’t develop Goldstein quickness but his long running moves are great and would be a great supplement to Spallina bully ball. Spallina is such a good player, he should have been rotated around way more often into crease or high to let others initiate from behind because he finishes so well. Gait was way too conservative with inverting imo.

Spallina is a good player. Criticism is just about getting to a greatness level. But, college lacrosse is very much so a team game and fely at times Gait didn’t help Joey out as much. Gait helped Hiltz out by getting him high and on the move. Guess they relied on Joey solely from x
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm

VS lesser teams, what is the kid supposed to do, not try to score when he can? That makes it "bully ball" :roll: Got it.

No bully ball refers to charging opponents in dodges. It has nothing to do with whatever you’re trying to take personally
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:46 pm

I was thinking of the comp for him. I am going with Shack Stanwick (the youngest I believe).. Great X attackman. Amazing feeder. High level IQ. Lacked athleticism as a dodger.
Ya I think that's a really good comp. I think Joey has good athleticism but it's that lack of initial burst/quickness and overall speed that I think betrays him against high end and elite defenders. As someone noted below and I have mentioned myself SU should really move him around a bit, forcing him to initiate from X will always be a struggle against ACC and other peer teams.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:09 pm

Same with Brennan O’Neill. You can’t develop Goldstein quickness but his long running moves are great and would be a great supplement to Spallina bully ball. Spallina is such a good player, he should have been rotated around way more often into crease or high to let others initiate from behind because he finishes so well. Gait was way too conservative with inverting imo.

Spallina is a good player. Criticism is just about getting to a greatness level. But, college lacrosse is very much so a team game and fely at times Gait didn’t help Joey out as much. Gait helped Hiltz out by getting him high and on the move. Guess they relied on Joey solely from x
Getting him out of X and moving around would really help a lot. SU did a little of this but not nearly enough in my opinion. Be ie Leo or Anderson or someone else SU really should give them at least a quarter a game at X to let Joey roam a bit.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

88 Points in 2024.
49 points vs Non ranked opponents (7 games)
39 Points vs Ranked Opponents (11 games)

#1 Notre Dame - 1G
#2 Duke - 2 A
#2 Duke (ACC Tourney) - 4 G
#3 Johns Hopkins - 2G and 3 A
#5 Virginia - 0 points
#7 Denver - 0 points
#11 Maryland - 1G and 2A
#12 Cornell - 3G and 4A
#14 Towson - 4G and 4A
#18 Army - 0G and 2A
#19 Utah - 3G and 4A

vs Top 10 teams: 2.4 PPG
vs Top 20 teams: 3.54 PPG
vs Non-Ranked Opponents: 7 PPG
tech37

Post by tech37 »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:10 pm

No bully ball refers to charging opponents in dodges. It has nothing to do with whatever you’re trying to take personally
Notice the quotes? That was your "personal" post toward me the other day. You're silly.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:33 pm

Notice the quotes? That was your "personal" post toward me the other day. You're silly.
Clearly you’ve thought a lot about this and it’s really easy to get under your skin
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

I did not watch the game so take what I am writing with a lot of salt. I get the impression that SU's attack and middies could not defeat their defenders. It's happened before to many teams including SU. The offense bogs down, loses spark. What to do? Let me offer an insight developed by the great basketball coaches, Bennett at Virginia and Hurley at UConn. UConn has several very fine players but a few of their starters had trouble beating defenders off the dribble. Hurley produced a mesmerizing scheme of single and double reversible posts where the poster posts and reposts, then gets the ball and uses a second maybe a third post to shoot or drive. Every player in motion confuses the defenders who often trip all over each other trying to decide whether to go under, around, or hand off the driver. Bennett at Virginia could open great 3 point shooters with the same techniques. I am suggesting that such a technique can diminish the effectiveness of big bad defensive dudes. The coach has to spend a lot of time teaching and practicing these skills, but a good posting team is beautiful to behold. If SU used these ideas during the game, ignore this stuff.
lorin

Post by lorin »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:37 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:33 pm

Clearly you’ve thought a lot about this and it’s really easy to get under your skin
I think Bully ball can work, if he’s my boy I would hell him no stick this summer that’s not is problem, would be all about getting faster 10 yard sprints, stronger so he can bully ball, and he needs more foot work.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”