Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoponboard

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by Hoponboard »

In lacrosse, everything leads to everything else.  That’s why it’s so hard to pinpoint the exact reason for a loss.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:39 am Highly, highly recommend this to those of you who haven't done so yet. I was late to the party, but better late than never.

As for goalie...I doubt the staff has any idea at this point. My guess would be Webb is the favorite but it will be an open competition.

I like how incoming freshman Andrew Cook looks on film but it's hard to evaluate a goalie coming out of California. He's not always seeing the level of high D1 caliber shooting that you'd see as a goalie at Lville, Brunswick, McDonogh, Culver, St. Anthony's, etc. So I think the range of outcomes is pretty large. Could be a star...could never see the field.

Sean Crogan is another interesting one — his older brother Patrick has been a solid contributor for Georgetown, and Sean is a similar player. He's a pitbull. There is some real athleticism and dodging potential at the midfield next year with McCleary, Gregorek, Crogan coming in + English's return + we'll see if guys like Iler or Jewell can contribute. When healthy, Iler's burst is absolutely eye-popping. Watch his dodge at 27:22 in HOB's video from the Richmond scrimmage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0oRaOa ... nel=huntva
A lot of “what could have been” in that clip. English’s combination of ability to draw a slide/ off-ball instincts/ finishing ability was just impossible to replace. Other guys brought some of that, but not the whole package. Guys like Melendez and Evans definitely more explosive than before whatever injuries they picked up. Offense at tempo looked really good.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Bauer was not a week to week or even month to month 1st line midfielder. They had too many offensive guys who you could not count on. I'm more than ok with them moving on from him and Evans. Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.

As for English you're asking an awful lot from him there coming off injury. Chauvette Ayers and Collison have not seen anywhere near what they are going to see next spring.
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm Bauer was not a week to week or even month to month 1st line midfielder. They had too many offensive guys who you could not count on. I'm more than ok with them moving on from him and Evans. Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.

As for English you're asking an awful lot from him there coming off injury. Chauvette Ayers and Collison have not seen anywhere near what they are going to see next spring.
You'd prefer to move on from a player who put up 10 goals and 14 assists at midfield while drawing a pole in a schedule against largely Big10 and ACC defenses? One problem was that they would often spend too much time putting Bauer in the 2-man game to get a shortie matchup (where he's more effective), burning up the shot clock. Otherwise, he just being asked to bite off more than he could chew this year, as teams weren't worried about him as a goal scoring threat while wing dodging against a longstick. If his role is 1st line midfield drawing a shortie from the get-go, he should be an excellent contributor next year.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

PotomacRiver wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm Bauer was not a week to week or even month to month 1st line midfielder. They had too many offensive guys who you could not count on. I'm more than ok with them moving on from him and Evans. Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.

You'd prefer to move on from a player who put up 10 goals and 14 assists at midfield while drawing a pole in a schedule against largely Big10 and ACC defenses? One problem was that they would often spend too much time putting Bauer in the 2-man game to get a shortie matchup (where he's more effective), burning up the shot clock. Otherwise, he just being asked to bite off more than he could chew this year, as teams weren't worried about him as a goal scoring threat while wing dodging against a longstick. If his role is 1st line midfield drawing a shortie from the get-go, he should be an excellent contributor next year.
You and a lot of other people here are raising some great points which is why I'm glad they do that weekly show with PM and hope they'll continue it maybe monthly over the summer. There's a rather large graduation this week, and hopefully PM and the staff get a break soon, but I would hope Jameson/PM/Crawley each get episodes on that show where they can review the season and talk about a lot of the things we talk about here. I think there's a new generation of recruits, students and young alumni who saw the program flourish the last 2 years and they want to keep those people interested.
primitiveskills

Welcome, Potomac. And keep posting!
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:43 pm In lacrosse, everything leads to everything else.  That’s why it’s so hard to pinpoint the exact reason for a loss.
Generally true, though FOs and goaltending have an outsize effect on W/L. For example, I can say with almost complete certainty that if Hop had won 50% of the FO against Syracuse earlier this year, they would have won that game comfortably.
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:19 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:43 pm In lacrosse, everything leads to everything else.  That’s why it’s so hard to pinpoint the exact reason for a loss.
Generally true, though FOs and goaltending have an outsize effect on W/L. For example, I can say with almost complete certainty that if Hop had won 50% of the FO against Syracuse earlier this year, they would have won that game comfortably.
You could say the X would not have mattered, if Hopkins could clear the ball and didnt make a ton of unforced turnovers. Those are controllable things. Callahan busting his ass and losing to Gobriel, who by the way got a lot of help from his wings, is not. He made it a 50/50 GB much of the time.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm
You could say the X would not have mattered, if Hopkins could clear the ball and didnt make a ton of unforced turnovers. Those are controllable things. Callahan busting his ass and losing to Gobriel, who by the way got a lot of help from his wings, is not. He made it a 50/50 GB much of the time.
I wasn't talking about the UVa game at all. I was just pointing out that generally, being able to win FOs is a huge advantage and can actually change who wins a game (see the MD/Duke game). Given the FO disadvantage the Jays had against UVa, it's surprising to me that the game went to overtime (though the UVa's FO advantage was offset by JHU's goaltending advantage).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.
please point out the opportunities Marquis had this past season I missed them
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:26 pm
coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm
I wasn't talking about the UVa game at all. I was just pointing out that generally, being able to win FOs is a huge advantage and can actually change who wins a game (see the MD/Duke game). Given the FO disadvantage the Jays had against UVa, it's surprising to me that the game went to overtime (though the UVa's FO advantage was offset by JHU's goaltending advantage).
That is fine. Hopkins was a C- face off unit. I am just pointing out there are multiple issues. Faceoff is UVA game were 16 - 10.. I dont think this was a case where Gohbriel was dominating and popping it clean to himself continually. Of the 16 wins, I would be surprised if Wayer didnt have 5+ Gbs. Guy was a beast on the wing. There were a ton of 50/50 GBs off the face and most went UVa's way. This is case where your Faceoff guy got out-played, but so did the wings.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:42 pm You and a lot of other people here are raising some great points which is why I'm glad they do that weekly show with PM and hope they'll continue it maybe monthly over the summer. There's a rather large graduation this week, and hopefully PM and the staff get a break soon, but I would hope Jameson/PM/Crawley each get episodes on that show where they can review the season and talk about a lot of the things we talk about here. I think there's a new generation of recruits, students and young alumni who saw the program flourish the last 2 years and they want to keep those people interested.
Oh please. First off, the coaches must be wrung out and done - why would Milliman want to sit through rehashing the most painful loss of his Hopkins tenure? DId you see his face during the press conference? Russell does not ask hard hitting questions - he asks for a recap of the previous game a look forward to the next opponent and then some silly thing about who woud fix the bus if it broke down...I do not need an episode 16 of the WWM vodcast. Crawley - and probably PM and maybe JK - hopefully is going to get a few days to play golf or fish or whatever he likes to do and then he is on the summer recruiting camp circuit which must be on its way soon. They need to worry about portal egress and ingress. I hope not to hear from them.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm Phillips and Marquis had opportunities the last 2 years and did not show anything.
06's biggest cardinal sin apart from serving as the new host for RFK Jr.'s brainworm is that he's boring. This is a line we've heard quite literally a dozen times already and it doesn't get any more true with each regurgitation. I wouldn't even engage on this particular point. It's not going to get through to him.

Looking at the portal again, Loyola goalie Luke Staudt is in there — 2.5 year starter around 54%, big lefty and has had some very good games against top competition recently — including the Blue Jays. Wonder if we kick the tires? On the one hand, the goalie room is very close, bringing in another new face could upset the apple cart so to speak and at some point you have to stop relying on the portal. On the other hand...he's a very good goalie, and we need a new goalie. Could see it going either way. Even if there's interest, I assume ND, Cuse (he's from Camillus, NY), and others will be in the mix.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:33 pm
06's biggest cardinal sin apart from serving as the new host for RFK Jr.'s brainworm is that he's boring. This is a line we've heard quite literally a dozen times already and it doesn't get any more true with each regurgitation. I wouldn't even engage on this particular point. It's not going to get through to him.

Looking at the portal again, Loyola goalie Luke Staudt is in there — 2.5 year starter around 54%, big lefty and has had some very good games against top competition recently — including the Blue Jays. Wonder if we kick the tires? On the one hand, the goalie room is very close, bringing in another new face could upset the apple cart so to speak and at some point you have to stop relying on the portal. On the other hand...he's a very good goalie, and we need a new goalie. Could see it going either way. Even if there's interest, I assume ND, Cuse (he's from Camillus, NY), and others will be in the mix.
Hop appears in on Staudt with a few others. Cuse is apparently not pursuing. Also heard Hop is in on Hackler but so is every power team with a pulse. Cuse is pursuing heavy on Hackler.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm Hop appears in on Staudt with a few others. Cuse is apparently not pursuing. Also heard Hop is in on Hackler but so is every power team with a pulse. Cuse is pursuing heavy on Hackler.
Thank you very much for the insight.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

We reportedly have a good goalie coach and some talented goalies who have been waiting their turn. I would give one of them a chance. They will likely have a good D in front of them.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:28 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:42 pm You and a lot of other people here are raising some great points which is why I'm glad they do that weekly show with PM and hope they'll continue it maybe monthly over the summer. There's a rather large graduation this week, and hopefully PM and the staff get a break soon, but I would hope Jameson/PM/Crawley each get episodes on that show where they can review the season and talk about a lot of the things we talk about here. I think there's a new generation of recruits, students and young alumni who saw the program flourish the last 2 years and they want to keep those people interested.
Oh please. First off, the coaches must be wrung out and done - why would Milliman want to sit through rehashing the most painful loss of his Hopkins tenure? DId you see his face during the press conference? Russell does not ask hard hitting questions - he asks for a recap of the previous game a look forward to the next opponent and then some silly thing about who woud fix the bus if it broke down...I do not need an episode 16 of the WWM vodcast. Crawley - and probably PM and maybe JK - hopefully is going to get a few days to play golf or fish or whatever he likes to do and then he is on the summer recruiting camp circuit which must be on its way soon. They need to worry about portal egress and ingress. I hope not to hear from them.
The large graduation class is a sad departure for a group of young men who gave a big part of their lives to the program.

For the coaches, it is also an opportunity … to rethink things, change what needs to be changed, and build on things they want to continue.

The season after such a voluminous departure will be quite telling. It’s going to be tough in 2025.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Another reason to give Collison a bigger role next season. Collison is talented and skilled enough to force opponents to put a longpole on him. If Bauer returns, he could get a SSDM more often if Collison can draw the pole. Happened occasionally this season (especially late when opponents anticipated hero ball from Collison), but could happen much more if Collison’s role expands.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm

Hop appears in on Staudt with a few others. Cuse is apparently not pursuing. Also heard Hop is in on Hackler but so is every power team with a pulse. Cuse is pursuing heavy on Hackler.
Thanks, Jeremy. While I’d love to see one of the current Gs on the roster be the one to step up, Staudt would be a huge get.

And you guys seem in a better position than most going into 2025. Good time to be a JHU or ‘Cuse fan.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:15 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm

Thanks, Jeremy. While I’d love to see one of the current Gs on the roster be the one to step up, Staudt would be a huge get.

And you guys seem in a better position than most going into 2025. Good time to be a JHU or ‘Cuse fan.
Agreed, I think both squads have a lot of positives to take away from this year and moving forward. I think both will regret not getting one additional win when they look back on the year but still much better then what we both were looking at a few years ago.

Staudt to me makes perfect sense for Hop. Goalie has been a major issue for you guys for awhile and Ierlan was a major upgrade in his 1 year. If you can keep that going for even another year I think you have to even if a longer term solution would be preferable. Hop seems to be in decent shape on both sides of the ball though they could probably use a QB type attackmen and another dodger like Cuse. Also like Cuse feels like they could use another SSDM and maybe a depth middie piece. The lack of use of Marquis is puzzling but sometimes a great box game just doesn't transfer, Thomson has struggled at times for SU but really come on the last half of the year.

Cuse returns a lot but has some issues to address specifically at SSDM and that 3rd attack spot. They have a young goalie a former 5 star whose been waiting his turn so I suspect that's whey they are not pursuing Staudt to replace Mark. A risk for sure but hopefully it pays off.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”