Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Brown 2024

Post by Brownlax »

IvyBrown wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 am Does anyone have a link to what the allegations were against jon thompson? Or any specificity?
Ummm - Google 😂
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

IvyBrown wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 am Does anyone have a link to what the allegations were against jon thompson? Or any specificity?
If I recall correctly, the incident involved a racist slur in a dorm situation by 3 players to a black player. Not at a game or practice or team event, but way out of bounds behavior. Amherst campus erupted. Tense times over race as it was, so the incident caught a lot of attention.

Here's a link: https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/re ... postseason

It's difficult to imagine that Thompson was truly aware of a brewing problem before this went down, albeit there had been another reported incident a couple of years prior. It's also difficult to imagine that Amherst students, including lax players, would be so dumb, much less bigoted, to have done this...

Note, Thompson recruited multiple black players...not all teams and coaches do so...

I have only met Jon once, way back in 2011 when my son was considering schools and I think we were both quite impressed with his energy and the general feel of the program, though my son wanted to go to a larger school with similar selectivity. Thompson was a big plus. I know he was on the very short list, may have been offered, when we were seeking a new coach at Dartmouth some years ago. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that he was reputedly waiting for the Brown opportunity but didn't get it...dream job.

I'm also enthusiastic about Torpey, if he's being considered. Got to know him a little when he was at Dartmouth and thought he was a very positive influence. There was an upward trajectory and when he left is when the program suffered. My own preference would have been that he get the HC job at Dartmouth instead of AHC, as I think he's an excellent lax mind and a steady hand.

Super enthusiastic about Wojcik as an assistant coach. Good guy, excellent offensive mind. Terrific that he's found success at ND.

If I had to bet on who, assuming was successful, would stick at Brown over the long term it would be Thompson.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

If the Pentagon’s (Air Force) background check on Jon Thompson up clean as well as UNC’s it should be a non-issue for Brown ……..shades of the Duke false accusations which made many involved very wealthy …….
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Counselor wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 am If the Pentagon’s (Air Force) background check on Jon Thompson up clean as well as UNC’s it should be a non-issue for Brown ……..shades of the Duke false accusations which made many involved very wealthy …….
I definitely don't agree re others 'background checks' as that's pretty darn irrelevant to whether he's the guy you want leading the program and I also doubt very much that this was an entirely falsely accused incident. But the reaction way well have been extreme and misdirected. Not that the fundamental issue isn't essential, but how it's handled might well have been entirely different and with better effect.

I do think that it's pretty darn unlikely that Thompson was to blame and everything I've read from those closer to the program suggests an opposite impression of him. As I said, this is a coach who actively recruited black players. There are a whole lot of teams with zero such. Sure as heck wouldn't want such efforts to boomerang negatively, discouraging others!

And, yes, the mess at Amherst afterwards was not what anyone should want, which suggests an over reaching Admin. ala Duke.

I'm confident that there are people within the Brown-world who know him well, so your own 'background check' is likely well-informed.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Xander’s tweet

UNC offensive coordinator and Brown alum Jon Thompson is no longer involved in @BrownU_MLAX’s opening, according to multiple sources.

https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17915130 ... EO2hFStaxg
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

A real 2 man race now with Thompson out. I never fully expected him to get this gig but since he is an alum and has good stops along the road, he got to be one of the finalists. He will be a HC in D1 sooner than later. Focus shifts down to a fellow coach in the NC area...

If it is the case, he will be getting a huge bump in his salary to take him away from that program. People tell me he's making more than you'd think already. I bet he creeps into the 1.5x his current if he wants this job. Now we wait and see.
laxfanctfc

Post by laxfanctfc »

I read the story IL references in this link and in 2020 but it is gone from the Greenfield Record website or at least I cannot find it. My recollection is the Greenfield Record story was pretty scathing of the school and school newspaper but I don't remember it that clearly.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/56398
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:30 am
Counselor wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 am If the Pentagon’s (Air Force) background check on Jon Thompson up clean as well as UNC’s it should be a non-issue for Brown ……..shades of the Duke false accusations which made many involved very wealthy …….
I definitely don't agree re others 'background checks' as that's pretty darn irrelevant to whether he's the guy you want leading the program and I also doubt very much that this was an entirely falsely accused incident. But the reaction way well have been extreme and misdirected. Not that the fundamental issue isn't essential, but how it's handled might well have been entirely different and with better effect.

I do think that it's pretty darn unlikely that Thompson was to blame and everything I've read from those closer to the program suggests an opposite impression of him. As I said, this is a coach who actively recruited black players. There are a whole lot of teams with zero such. Sure as heck wouldn't want such efforts to boomerang negatively, discouraging others!

And, yes, the mess at Amherst afterwards was not what anyone should want, which suggests an over reaching Admin. ala Duke.

I'm confident that there are people within the Brown-world who know him well, so your own 'background check' is likely well-informed.
Know multiple players who were on the team when the incident occurred. There was an incident, at a party, that was blown way out of proportion, and somehow that incident snowballed into a fake story that 3 players showed up outside their teammates dorm and yelled slurs.

Anyway, those players I know think the world of Thompson. Were very disappointed he was booted, and if they had not been at such a prestigious school (and just about graduated), they would have left.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:04 pm

Know multiple players who were on the team when the incident occurred. There was an incident, at a party, that was blown way out of proportion, and somehow that incident snowballed into a fake story that 3 players showed up outside their teammates dorm and yelled slurs.

Anyway, those players I know think the world of Thompson. Were very disappointed he was booted, and if they had not been at such a prestigious school (and just about graduated), they would have left.
Yuck.
Was it truly a 'fake story'? Do we know that for a certainty?
Not that it matters, really, at this point.

Wishing him well, regardless.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

This is more or less what happened. Thompson was fired not only got something he didn’t do or have control over but over something that essentially didn’t even happen. If it had happened at any other point of time pretty much in history (including now), there would have been a real investigation and it would have quietly gone away when they realized there was no there there. The local paper story several months later pretty much eviscerated Biddy and the school but at that time you couldn’t lean into race too much. Their next hire after him was another disaster from the same decision point. Anyway, agree he will be a HC again and do well. Sounds like the smoke will rise from the chimney soon in Providence.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

pcowlax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 pm

This is more or less what happened. Thompson was fired not only got something he didn’t do or have control over but over something that essentially didn’t even happen. If it had happened at any other point of time pretty much in history (including now), there would have been a real investigation and it would have quietly gone away when they realized there was no there there. The local paper story several months later pretty much eviscerated Biddy and the school but at that time you couldn’t lean into race too much. Their next hire after him was another disaster from the same decision point. Anyway, agree he will be a HC again and do well. Sounds like the smoke will rise from the chimney soon in Providence.
Ok … enough of these f*cking lies and bullsh*t about the incident not having happened.

Coach Thompson himself acknowledged that it did:

The March 12 email also attached a statement from Thompson. He wrote, “As the head lacrosse coach, I wholeheartedly condemn the racist language used by members of our team. There is no place for that language, which I find revolting.”

https://amherststudent.com/article/raci ... ntability/

A team captain also reportedly confirmed the events.

I don’t know Coach Thompson, but what I hear leads me to believe he is a man of integrity. He would not have acknowledged the incident if it hadn’t happened.

So cut out the lying nonsense.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Fri May 17, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

camskidamski wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:49 pm A real 2 man race now with Thompson out. I never fully expected him to get this gig but since he is an alum and has good stops along the road, he got to be one of the finalists. He will be a HC in D1 sooner than later. Focus shifts down to a fellow coach in the NC area...

If it is the case, he will be getting a huge bump in his salary to take him away from that program. People tell me he's making more than you'd think already. I bet he creeps into the 1.5x his current if he wants this job. Now we wait and see.
High Point spends money and is cheaper col so yeah you’re gonna have to pay up.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:00 pm

Ok … enough of these f*cking lies and bullsh*t about the incident not having happened.

The March 12 email also attached a statement from Thompson. He wrote, “As the head lacrosse coach, I wholeheartedly condemn the racist language used by members of our team. There is no place for that language, which I find revolting.”

I don’t know Coach Thompson, but what I hear leads me to believe he is a man of integrity. He would not have acknowledged the incident if it hadn’t happened.

DocBarrister
Happy to DM you but with inside knowledge here I can assure you there is no lying nonsense. You don’t seem to have followed the story to the end. Of course Jon condemns racism and, as he was not there, had to react to the story as it was framed when it first came out.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

pcowlax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:51 pm

DocBarrister
Happy to DM you but with inside knowledge here I can assure you there is no lying nonsense. You don’t seem to have followed the story to the end. Of course Jon condemns racism and, as he was not there, had to react to the story as it was framed when it first came out.
It happened. And the racism issues continued to plague Amherst. These kinds of problems don’t arise by accident. Amherst has had serious problems with their culture. Hopefully, progress is being made to correct those issues.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MO6K4v ... oqSn9/view

https://amherststudent.com/article/form ... h-college/

https://amherststudent.com/article/coll ... tion-plan/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Brownlax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:14 am
Ummm - Google 😂
I tried google. Could not find anything. Tx to the posters providing the explanations - thompson seems to have been unfairly attacked for this.
Laxguy3

Post by Laxguy3 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:09 pm

DocBarrister
It happened. And the racism issues continued to plague Amherst. These kinds of problems don’t arise by accident. Amherst has had serious problems with their culture. Hopefully, progress is being made to correct those issues.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MO6K4v ... oqSn9/view

https://amherststudent.com/article/form ... h-college/

https://amherststudent.com/article/coll ... tion-plan/

DocBarrister
Little bit of an insider sources off we have here.

The word was used but not as the Amherst student described. Very overblown but unfortunately, especially at an Ivy or Nescac, that is the end of a coaches tenure. JT had no responsibility in the matter and was scape goated by the president of the school who hated sports. Frankly, players on the team still wish he was at Amherst.

What was weird was the Bruno went out of their way to make sure people knew an alum was no longer in the coaching searching. Shame. Brown is his dream job and he would be the perfect person for the role
Laxguy3

Post by Laxguy3 »

Laxguy3 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:54 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:09 pm

DocBarrister

^^^^ this is completely false that amherst still struggles with racism. Team has been moving in the right direction since 2021. Get off your high horse
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Why the charge that Brown went out of its way to announce that Thompson was not in the running? Xanders reported that “multiple sources” confirmed….not that Brown reported ….
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Moving on from the JT banter since unfortunately he is not in the mix at Brown anymore..

Torpey or Polley, is that what we are speculating? Or is Woodson in the mix? Someone else we haven't heard about? I don't think it will be one of the assistants mentioned earlier.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

When did Thompson get removed from consideration? I must’ve missed that. Do you have a source for that or is it confidential?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”