Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:42 pm Staff desperately needs a replacement for angelus. Ideally multiple Millon level top rated recruits. I can't recall anyone under Milliman that was a top 5 offensive recruit.
Yeah I'd be looking forward to over the next few years to not replace Angelus but to exceed him ideally. You're not guaranteed to have his vision but we need more minutes going to guys that are more self sufficient. To get to that next level we need more/some guys that can take on the #1 pole and go out and get their own goals.

Remember today when Shellenberger got the ball in his stick and then went and Shellenbergered all over the place? Need something more resembling that. :P
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:11 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:42 pm Staff desperately needs a replacement for angelus. Ideally multiple Millon level top rated recruits. I can't recall anyone under Milliman that was a top 5 offensive recruit.
Yeah I'd be looking forward to over the next few years to not replace Angelus but to exceed him ideally. You're not guaranteed to have his vision but we need more minutes going to guys that are more self sufficient. To get to that next level we need more/some guys that can take on the #1 pole and go out and get their own goals.

Remember today when Shellenberger got the ball in his stick and then went and Shellenbergered all over the place? Need something more resembling that. :P
More maximally invasive players who can generate their own goals?

Gee … 🧐🤔

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

I never said you were wrong about that, I never agreed with your assertion that this years players you wanted to do it showed they were up to the challenge. More runs of Grimes, etc. not beating his SSDM wasnt the solution, no matter how much you told them to just do it harder.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:27 pm

Gee … 🧐🤔

Shellenberger was a Hopkins commit at one point before Lars. Old coaching squad would have wasted his talent however ala Epstein.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

There are so many things to go through before really being able to develop any thoughts on Hopkins 2025 - the portal being pre-eminent. I guess we should find out in the coming days and weeks if any of the younger Jays will test the market with that free option. Apparently, we will receive the services of two incoming portal transfers - will there be others. Assuming no significant currently unanticipated departures - I do think the following makes sense to at least wish for:
- Scott Smith wants and receives his medical red-shirt for the 2021 season and returns to anchor the defense
- Melendez returns healthy/quicker and with renewed confidence on attack
- English mends and somehow esapes the injury bug for a season
- In terms of others that may have remaining eligibility - I think that's Bauer/Deans/Evans/Arteaga and maybe Raposo. It's been pointed out previously that Ince will take his talents on to employment and the real world. In some universe I think you would like all of them back - who knows if that is feasible or realistic but Bauer and Deans (engineering genius I woud think with job offers) would be the obvious priorities from a wish list.
Again assuming most of that to unfold - it does appear at least there is a plan in place:
- Ayers maybe as the quarterback
- H. Chauvette as the left handed shooter
- 1st mid-field could have Collison a healthy English and maybe Bauer
- Close Defense is still rock solid even with the departure of Szuluk - Smith/Kilrain + maybe Carson Brown back there - maybe younger Martin - things might get a little thin after that
- Rope unit obviously takes some hits

Goalie is a huge unknown at this point.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

PM is the THE GUY for the next few years, Jameson is a superstar. Kelly seems well liked although I don't really know what he does.

I have very very serious doubts if Crawley should return and I lean no. The offense improved by exactly 1 goal in the quarterfinal from last year despite a deep group of veterans returning. He seems like he's able to draw up a decent game plan OR craft some sort of response, but he hasn't been able to both craft a gameplan and respond in the middle of the game. Happened against Michigan and again today. We live in a performance trophy culture, so he'll be back, get all sorts of hugs here but he didn't do anything down the stretch to kick start the offense and I have serious questions about his xs and os and there's going to only be more pressure on him and the offense going forward with everything they are losing.

I've said for the last year that this sr/grad student middie group performance was this teams destiny this season and I appreciate their work, but I am long done with grimes peshko mcdermott evans bauer and chauvette.

I like 51 but that's asking a lot of ayers and brother chauvette to come in and just replace angelus and degnon. I wasn't big on younger brother martin's performance this year.

FWIW I think the pressure in d1 is going to be squarely on Syracuse and our old friends in Chapel Hill. That will be the dominating story all summer, fall, next spring and until they either get to memorial day or get the guillotine. PM to my mind has more than answered the question of whether he's up to the job at Hopkins longterm.

My questions for the program into 2025 if I was sitting on that show with PM
1. What does PM feel went wrong this season and against UVA?
2. What is his view of 2025 and whether they should ask these veterans who have remaining eligibility to return and add transfers if it might just be for 1 year and block kids who could be 2-3-4 year solutions?
3. What does the NIL they've built off the programs stalled rebirth do in a post corona portal world?
4.How does he assess Crawley's performance this year?
5. What is a PM/Crawley offense completely devoid of Petro kids and early recruits going to look like and how will it be different?
6. How do they rebuild the rope unit
7. Who are the next goalies
8. How do they rebuild the offense
9. How do they rebuild the ssdm position group
10. The rising sr class is almost completely devoid of regulars. How do they compensate for the loss of leadership and how do they change fallball so the kids who have mostly not played d1 lacrosse over their careers come in and win.
10. Why all the offsides penalties
11. Any schedule tweaks
12. What resources and administrative support is he still not getting.
13. How do collison, ayers and chauvette take the next steps without knowing who the rest of their offensive teams are going to be
14. What went wrong with melendez and are they better off trying to straighten him out working with a much younger group around him or letting him go to chase a championship on a team ready to win in 2025?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:41 pm There are so many things to go through before really being able to develop any thoughts on Hopkins 2025 - the portal being pre-eminent. I guess we should find out in the coming days and weeks if any of the younger Jays will test the market with that free option. Apparently, we will receive the services of two incoming portal transfers - will there be others. Assuming no significant currently unanticipated departures - I do think the following makes sense to at least wish for:
- Scott Smith wants and receives his medical red-shirt for the 2021 season and returns to anchor the defense
- In terms of others that may have remaining eligibility - I think that's Bauer/Deans/Evans/Arteaga and maybe Raposo. It's been pointed out previously that Ince will take his talents on to employment and the real world. In some universe I think you would like all of them back - who knows if that is feasible or realistic but Bauer and Deans (engineering genius I woud think with job offers) would be the obvious priorities from a wish list.
Again assuming most of that to unfold - it does appear at least there is a plan in place:
- Close Defense is still rock solid even with the departure of Szuluk - Smith/Kilrain + maybe Carson Brown back there - maybe younger Martin - things might get a little thin after that

Crawley is on a short leash imo. John Grant Jr. got dismissed. It wouldn't shock me to see Crawley be transitioned out, but it might set the team back to start with yet again a new offensive system.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:03 pm PM is the THE GUY for the next few years, Jameson is a superstar. Kelly seems well liked although I don't really know what he does.

I have very very serious doubts if Crawley should return and I lean no. The offense improved by exactly 1 goal in the quarterfinal from last year despite a deep group of veterans returning. He seems like he's able to draw up a decent game plan OR craft some sort of response, but he hasn't been able to both craft a gameplan and respond in the middle of the game. Happened against Michigan and again today. We live in a performance trophy culture, so he'll be back, get all sorts of hugs here but he didn't do anything down the stretch to kick start the offense and I have serious questions about his xs and os and there's going to only be more pressure on him and the offense going forward with everything they are losing.

I've said for the last year that this sr/grad student middie group performance was this teams destiny this season and I appreciate their work, but I am long done with grimes peshko mcdermott evans bauer and chauvette.

I like 51 but that's asking a lot of ayers and brother chauvette to come in and just replace angelus and degnon. I wasn't big on younger brother martin's performance this year.

FWIW I think the pressure in d1 is going to be squarely on Syracuse and our old friends in Chapel Hill. That will be the dominating story all summer, fall, next spring and until they either get to memorial day or get the guillotine. PM to my mind has more than answered the question of whether he's up to the job at Hopkins longterm.

My questions for the program into 2025 if I was sitting on that show with PM
1. What does PM feel went wrong this season and against UVA?
2. What is his view of 2025 and whether they should ask these veterans who have remaining eligibility to return and add transfers if it might just be for 1 year and block kids who could be 2-3-4 year solutions?
3. What does the NIL they've built off the programs stalled rebirth do in a post corona portal world?
4.How does he assess Crawley's performance this year?
5. What is a PM/Crawley offense completely devoid of Petro kids and early recruits going to look like and how will it be different?
6. How do they rebuild the rope unit
7. Who are the next goalies
8. How do they rebuild the offense
9. How do they rebuild the ssdm position group
10. The rising sr class is almost completely devoid of regulars. How do they compensate for the loss of leadership and how do they change fallball so the kids who have mostly not played d1 lacrosse over their careers come in and win.
10. Why all the offsides penalties
11. Any schedule tweaks
12. What resources and administrative support is he still not getting.
13. How do collison, ayers and chauvette take the next steps without knowing who the rest of their offensive teams are going to be
14. What went wrong with melendez and are they better off trying to straighten him out working with a much younger group around him or letting him go to chase a championship on a team ready to win in 2025?

The thought of Melendez going to Duke or UVa makes me disgusted.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:32 pm I never said you were wrong about that, I never agreed with your assertion that this years players you wanted to do it showed they were up to the challenge. More runs of Grimes, etc. not beating his SSDM wasnt the solution, no matter how much you told them to just do it harder.
I hear you. Grimes is a mediocre shooter. He actually beat his man twice and failed to put the ball in the net. Peshko got multiple looks and missed multiple shots.

But Collison is a different story. He only got 3 shots off today. That’s not on him. Crawley gave him a role to play, and Collison dutifully played that role.

I think the vast majority of OCs and HCs in the country would wonder why the offense doesn’t revolve more around Collison.

Crawley is young and is still learning. PM has no excuse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:06 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:41 pm There are so many things to go through before really being able to develop any thoughts on Hopkins 2025 - the portal being pre-eminent. I guess we should find out in the coming days and weeks if any of the younger Jays will test the market with that free option. Apparently, we will receive the services of two incoming portal transfers - will there be others. Assuming no significant currently unanticipated departures - I do think the following makes sense to at least wish for:

Crawley is on a short leash imo. John Grant Jr. got dismissed. It wouldn't shock me to see Crawley be transitioned out, but it might set the team back to start with yet again a new offensive system.
Crawley is not the problem.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Gee … 🧐🤔

Shellenberger was a Hopkins commit at one point before Lars. Old coaching squad would have wasted his talent however ala Epstein.
Epstein scored 73 points as a freshman under Petro. Petro didn’t waste his talents. He built the offense around him and Epstein was spectacular.

Injury slowed Epstein down.

It was PM who didn’t fit with Epstein and vice versa. I think Epstein wanted to be more than the ordinary role player PM wanted. They clearly didn’t get along, and I don’t have the whole story on that.

But it’s clear that Petro fully utilized Epstein’s talents. PM … not so much.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:29 pm

Gee … 🧐🤔

Epstein scored 73 points as a freshman under Petro. Petro didn’t waste his talents. He built the offense around him and Epstein was spectacular.

It was PM who didn’t fit with Epstein and vice versa. I think Epstein wanted to be more than the ordinary role player PM wanted. They clearly didn’t get along, and I don’t have the whole story on that.

DocBarrister
They went 8-8 that year and then subsequently down hill. Yes, he did indeed waste that talent.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:29 pm

Gee … 🧐🤔

DocBarrister
They went 8-8 that year and then subsequently down hill. Yes, he did indeed waste that talent.
Then I would hope PM wastes talent like Petro wasted Epstein’s. They would have lost a lot more games without Epstein that year.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:06 pm

Excellent player at Hopkins who has a fine career ahead of him as an offensive assistant at a Patriot League program with a less competitive environment without expectations.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

I’m curious if Gelinas or Verdi can make the jump after being mentored by Ierlan for a year. Webb maybe but I am biased against smaller goalies.
Is there an incoming frosh goalie who could step in?
I’d really like to go back to the days when Hopkins was a goalie school
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am I’m curious if Gelinas or Verdi can make the jump after being mentored by Ierlan for a year. Webb maybe but I am biased against smaller goalies.
Well, reportedly BK is doing a good job as coach. I thought Chayse improved markedly in terms of consistency and controlling rebounds.

Still, Ierlan brought extensive experience, including a national title game with Cornell.

Blue Jays have talented goalies, but I doubt we will be as strong in goal next season.

I like Webb, though.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

Who do you guys see starting in the crease for hop in 2025? Does the local kid Webb finally get his shot for his senior year? Or do you give it to Gelinas? the kid that transferred in from Ohio state this year. Or do you go with the highly recruited 2023 Verdi? Or do you have a kid come in that is lights out and wins the job? Very big unknown for hop
Finster

Post by Finster »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:28 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am I’m curious if Gelinas or Verdi can make the jump after being mentored by Ierlan for a year. Webb maybe but I am biased against smaller goalies.
Well, reportedly BK is doing a good job as coach. I thought Chayse improved markedly in terms of consistency and controlling rebounds.

Still, Ierlan brought extensive experience, including a national title game with Cornell.

Blue Jays have talented goalies, but I doubt we will be as strong in goal next season.

I like Webb, though.

DocBarrister

Doc: you've been silly harsh on Milliman; that guy saved the franchise, imo. And more bizarrely, you're attached to Petro, who most do not consider all that great, and that attachment seems to feed into your anti-Milliman hysteria.

I get the immediacy of an ended season where you expected more, but please recall that Duke also lost yesterday and Duke fans (the few there are) aren't calling for Danowski's head; trust me, Duke recruits over the last ten-fifteen years had and have far more press coming in than Hopkins' recruits.

Milliman was dealt a harsh hand by arriving during Covid with a fairly bare recruiting trail left by Petro (who almost no kid wanted to play for). Petro lucked out recruiting because many kids wanted to play for Hopkins); conversely, kids love Milliman PLUS they get to play for Hopkins. Petro's paleozoic era championships were hardly due to his bloviating coaching style or his lazy recruiting; Hopkins benefits from its great history and geography, just like Cuse; a coach at either simply needs to not mess up the advantages...which Petro did, in spades. The franchise was on life support when Milliman arrived, not too dissimilar to when Desko left Cuse.

Milliman's teams have shown continuous improvement with zero off-field issues. If anything, he's due for a raise. Watch Hopkins in the semis next year or the year after.

Maybe chill on the immediate hysterics. It was a great season for the boys. Celebrate their accomplishments.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Highly, highly recommend this to those of you who haven't done so yet. I was late to the party, but better late than never.

As for goalie...I doubt the staff has any idea at this point. My guess would be Webb is the favorite but it will be an open competition.

I like how incoming freshman Andrew Cook looks on film but it's hard to evaluate a goalie coming out of California. He's not always seeing the level of high D1 caliber shooting that you'd see as a goalie at Lville, Brunswick, McDonogh, Culver, St. Anthony's, etc. So I think the range of outcomes is pretty large. Could be a star...could never see the field.

Sean Crogan is another interesting one — his older brother Patrick has been a solid contributor for Georgetown, and Sean is a similar player. He's a pitbull. There is some real athleticism and dodging potential at the midfield next year with McCleary, Gregorek, Crogan coming in + English's return + we'll see if guys like Iler or Jewell can contribute. When healthy, Iler's burst is absolutely eye-popping. Watch his dodge at 27:22 in HOB's video from the Richmond scrimmage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0oRaOa ... nel=huntva
coda

Post by coda »

For English, I hope he is able to use this time to get in the gym and add some weight. He always been small (even in HS), but a good player. IF he could add 5-10 pounds of muscle is could go a long way to helping him stay healthy.

Just curious if Hopkins fans think it is time to move Collison to attack?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”