Bravo 3

Re: Navy 2019

Post by Bravo 3 »

:D :D :D
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am
oldjayfan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 am People know TIllman SO well! Except that he isn't married!! :lol: oh wait, that's an "arcane" detail...too funny! Hope "she" does well with the field hockey team!!
umm.. it was a take on tambroni going to penn state. which is the one switch, unforeseen, that would be in the same stratosphere as the hopefuls that believe there's a sliver of hope that tillman would leave a perfect gig for the usna job at this point in time. and even that one doesn't compare.
there. explained and spelled it out for you.
When did Tambroni enter the conversation?? non-sequitur, to say the least!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 am 2019 Graduation Ceremony. https://watchstadium.com/network/patrio ... rk/168115/
Congratulations to Navy Lacrosse players commissioning today.
Mike Allen
Ian Burgoyne
Greyson Torain
Luke King
Sam Kopf
Mike Loscalzo
Noah Seely
Drew Smiley
Ryan Wade
Pat Walsh
Fair winds and following seas!
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

laxpere wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 am 2019 Graduation Ceremony. https://watchstadium.com/network/patrio ... rk/168115/
Congratulations to Navy Lacrosse players commissioning today.
Mike Allen
Ian Burgoyne
Greyson Torain
Luke King
Sam Kopf
Mike Loscalzo
Noah Seely
Drew Smiley
Ryan Wade
Pat Walsh
Fair winds and following seas!
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Congrats to all and thank you for your future service. An irrelevant lacrosse comment: I thought Greyson Torain was going to be an all-american type player. Never quite worked out, but he was a one-man offense against a strong Maryland defense in 2016. Did not see how anyone could guard him one on one for the next 3 years...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Chet said an an interview in the Capital he is in no hurry to fill the vacancy and is in information gathering mode

Reporter says he is totally confident Tillman has no intention of leaving. Also says Loyola has not been contacted about talking to Toomey.

Glen Miles has apparently made it known he wants the job and is getting support from alums.

Joe Amplo is another name mentioned who is interested.

Wellner a third name mentioned. Cuts both ways
molo

Post by molo »

I saw the Miles reference in Wagner’s piece. I wonder if Navy is seriously considering a high school coach.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Is this a new article...have not seen it, link?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Today’s Capital. I have hard copy. You can google the Annapolis Capital
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:53 am Is this a new article...have not seen it, link?
Today's follow-up to the initial 5/10/19 version...

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thank you!
~Livy

laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

GO MIDS!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dude! That is creepy. :lol:
~Livy

laxpere

Post by laxpere »

OCanada wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:26 am Chet said an an interview in the Capital he is in no hurry to fill the vacancy and is in information gathering mode
Reporter says he is totally confident Tillman has no intention of leaving. Also says Loyola has not been contacted about talking to Toomey.
Glen Miles has apparently made it known he wants the job and is getting support from alums.
Joe Amplo is another name mentioned who is interested.
Wellner a third name mentioned. Cuts both ways
Nice article about the search since it adds more color. A demonstrated ability as a recruiter was a prominent prerequisite listed in the job description posted, and it would be interesting to hear how the candidates listed stack up in that area.
One question, do Coach Tillman or Toomey need approval from their respective ADs to contact Navy's AD? It seems like Navy's AD has to ask for permission, but vice versa? Same with assistant coaches?

Given the order of discussion, it seems like a working list is taking shape. Not sure whether ties to Navy might or might not be a big consideration since there is a wide range of ties to USNA. Other names will probably emerge, like Jon Brisner, but the list seems like a solid starting point. I wonder if Bill Wagner was able to run it by Navy's AD.
Wellner mentioned third, but really first with the Navy AD's very positive comments about his work as interim Head Coach.
If John Tillman truly has no interest, it "goes without saying" that J L Reppert would be interested. Indeed, Reppert is the only potential candidate who has ties to Navy as a player and coach.
Charlie Toomey - coach
Shawn Nadelen - none
Joe Amplo - none
Jake Coon - none
Glen Miles - player

While Coach Miles is older than others mentioned, he seems to relate well to younger kids. A very interesting possibility since he probably has a good network in an area where lacrosse has been growing. https://www.ocregister.com/2016/06/22/g ... l-of-fame/

So do you go with Coach Wellner as interim head coach into next year or risk "rebuilding" pains and/or killing the recruiting pipeline? Is Cornell 2018 the model? Not exactly the same, but I think that it rhymes. I hope that Coach Wellner has a shot to win the job during the 2020 season. I contend that he has a decent hand (well liked and a good track record) and that hand improved when he wasn't kicked out too. Same with Coach Camposa since they both aren't scrambling to find new gigs, at least overtly, and remain in the information flow of the recruiting circuit. Also, they might have the inside track with a new Head Coach if they would like to stay since they know the "ropes" and the current/future players at USNA.

If the Navy AD does take his time and the process in still in the "info gathering" stage, is there a risk that Coach Wellner bolts if the right school approaches him? If I were running the show and intended to take much time, I would name Coach Wellner as interim Head Coach through the 2020 season to rule out that possibility and maintain stability. Ties to Coach Sowell aside, there might be enough support for that scenario. What are the chances that the current informal list is depleted by next year? Low in my view so you have a "free" option at your disposal and one that isn't going to break the bank like Coach Tillman would have.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:27 pm Dude! That is creepy. :lol:
Agreed! :D Most underrated tv actor of our time? :shock: :D
CU77

Post by CU77 »

A California high school coach to DI head coach??? Reminds me of Gerry Faust …
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

stupefied wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm Happening, not wishful
Good call :roll: I guess Tillman's "wife" wasn't interested!!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

oldjayfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:06 pm
stupefied wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm Happening, not wishful
Good call :roll: I guess Tillman's "wife" wasn't interested!!
Look, you seem very interested in this. What are you suggesting? [edited]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fellas, let's try to elevate this discussion. (One of the previous posts was edited.)
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

That article is interesting. It appears all openings are progressing slowly however one has to imagine these schools are speaking with and interviewing candidates off the grid. I’ve heard Wellner’s name mentioned for all openings via social media, tv telecasts and in print media. I hope we don’t let him walk out the door and take Camposa with him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”