AreaLax

SF #1 Notre Dame vs #5 Denver Saturday @ noon

Post by AreaLax »

Let’s go
DocBarrister

Re: SF #1 Notre Dame vs #5 Denver Saturday @ noon

Post by DocBarrister »

I think Denver takes this one.

In fact, I think Denver takes the whole thing.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:03 pm I think Denver takes this one.

In fact, I think Denver takes the whole thing.

DocBarrister
A Denver-MD would end up like that Duke-ND championship a while ago that ended 6-5 in OT!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Denver's defense has really impressed, especially that defensive midfield. A guy like Dobson for ND is going to get a lot of looks from 12+ yards given how packed in Denver gets on defense. It's probably going to make Taylor's opportunities inside far fewer.

Denver's FOGO is good and experienced. That should be a great match-up. If he can give the Pios a possession advantage, they'll be in the game.

Kinda has a "first team to 10 wins" feel to it. I think Notre Dame ekes it out, but I'm not going to be surprised if Denver beats them in a one-goal game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:34 pm Denver's defense has really impressed, especially that defensive midfield. A guy like Dobson for ND is going to get a lot of looks from 12+ yards given how packed in Denver gets on defense. It's probably going to make Taylor's opportunities inside far fewer.

Denver's FOGO is good and experienced. That should be a great match-up. If he can give the Pios a possession advantage, they'll be in the game.

Kinda has a "first team to 10 wins" feel to it. I think Notre Dame ekes it out, but I'm not going to be surprised if Denver beats them in a one-goal game.
I’m with you. ND’s D may very well be the tipping point vs Denvers offense. Like Denver of year past, they move the ball a ton, often too much foregoing shots for the perfect shot. First half could be a snooze fest, unless adjustments are made throughout the entirety of the game. Going to be a heavy dose of Metz vs Corrigan to see who can find slivers of opportunity.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

+5 for Denver feels very enticing. They haven't lost by more than 4 all year and lost by 7 goals total in 3 games.

Their 4th quarter today was disgusting, but for the most part they just don't beat themselves. They don't turn it over a bunch (28.8% TO rate), they shoot it pretty darn well (32.2%), their clearing has been a potential soft spot but they've only failed 4 in the tournament. Kleban isn't great, but he isn't a weakness, and he generally has a small range in his performance because they don't give up many shots. 18 on goal today, 21 against Michigan, 17 and 15 against Villanova and Marquette in their last two pre-tournament games.

They know how they want to play and they execute it. For a team to beat Notre Dame you gotta be perfect, and a team that can win faceoffs, shoot it well, protect the ball, and has poles that can match up with Notre Dame's big guns, that is a recipe to make it a close ballgame.

I think it's a game where faceoff play may loom larger than it normally does for two teams with elite FOGOs. If Lynch has success, then Denver just isn't gonna have enough possessions. They aren't the same team they were in February; I don't think they're built to score 15. But if Stathakis can make some hay, it could be very close in the 4th
azim21

Post by azim21 »

The best man-up unit in the country (statistically could be the best ever) against the best man-down unit in the country. Have a feeling whichever unit executes in those scenarios might be who ends up getting the win. That said though, the Irish have only had 1 man-up during the tournament and it came in basically garbage time against GT (7 minutes to go in 4th with Irish up 7), so I may eat my words and we may not even see them go up against each other. :lol: But I hope for the sake of seeing the best vs the best we get a few opportunities to see which unit reigns supreme.

I agree with the guy above, even as an Irish fan I don't know if they can cover 5 goals. This Denver team is sneaky good, not flashy but they get the job done.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, they can cover 5.
ND 13-7.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Not to be a jerk comment, but who would start from Syracuse @ ND? Really. Just as an attack comparison ND ‘s attacks compared to SU. The lack of mobility on the SU attack, made it easy for Denver . Will Denver guard Jake Taylor as well as GT? Stathakis will be an issue, but besides Lynch, ND crashes from the wings hard. Denver has a v good staff, and personnel they will battle. But, ND is also a team that goes deep in the clock but is as good as anyone at doing it effectively. Interesting matchup.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:03 pm Not to be a jerk comment, but who would start from Syracuse @ ND? Really. Just as an attack comparison ND ‘s attacks compared to SU. The lack of mobility on the SU attack, made it easy for Denver . Will Denver guard Jake Taylor as well as GT? Stathakis will be an issue, but besides Lynch, ND crashes from the wings hard. Denver has a v good staff, and personnel they will battle. But, ND is also a team that goes deep in the clock but is as good as anyone at doing it effectively. Interesting matchup.
Don't think that's a "jerk" comment. Obviously ND has best attack followed closely by Cavs. Big Red?...at times.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:03 pm Not to be a jerk comment, but who would start from Syracuse @ ND? Really. Just as an attack comparison ND ‘s attacks compared to SU. The lack of mobility on the SU attack, made it easy for Denver . Will Denver guard Jake Taylor as well as GT? Stathakis will be an issue, but besides Lynch, ND crashes from the wings hard. Denver has a v good staff, and personnel they will battle. But, ND is also a team that goes deep in the clock but is as good as anyone at doing it effectively. Interesting matchup.
Stevens would get on the midfield cause of everything he can do on the field. I’d consider Leo over Dobson, who hasn’t had a great season tbh.

Dwan would start on close D.

It’s not a lot, but Notre Dame’s the best team in the country; they’re supposed to have the best players
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

This game does have an interesting side note of being a former rivalry game. Last time these teams played was 2020, but Matt Brown has it engrained in his soul to hate Notre Dame. These are definitely two staffs who don't like each other (check the old Coach T podcast calling out ND for not playing Denver), but the teams probably have no beef.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Jake Taylor obviously plays his role super well so maybe he'd still start, but man could you imagine an attack line of Joey Spallina and the two Kavs?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

azim21 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:41 am
Jake Taylor obviously plays his role super well so maybe he'd still start, but man could you imagine an attack line of Joey Spallina and the two Kavs?
DU will blanket Taylor but McLane could have a day.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Hard to see Denver keeping this game within three goals. ND will ride Denver into the ground, especially if the refs let the Irish push and slash for four quarters.

ND will get to rest their guys. If Maryland wins, expect a never-ending string of complaints on X about the late game disadvantage once again. :lol:
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 pm
Don't think that's a "jerk" comment. Obviously ND has best attack followed closely by Cavs. Big Red?...at times.
Look, ND has a great attack and it is clearly one of the best, but it is not obviously the best. ND wins because they are deep and talented all over the field. There are a number of attack units that are just as good if not better. If the ND attack is obviously the best , why did Cornell's attack look so much better in the game vs ND? The Cornell attack put up 21 points to the ND attack's 11 points. I'm not saying it proves Cornell's attack is better, but it does poke holes in your "obviously" statement. And UVA's attack is arguably as good or better as well and played better in the match ups vs ND this season. ND beat UVA with better defense, goaltending, and middie play ND is the best team right now and is the likely national champ, but it's because of depth and talent across the board.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:35 am
tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 pm
Look, ND has a great attack and it is clearly one of the best, but it is not obviously the best. ND wins because they are deep and talented all over the field. There are a number of attack units that are just as good if not better. If the ND attack is obviously the best , why did Cornell's attack look so much better in the game vs ND? The Cornell attack put up 21 points to the ND attack's 11 points. I'm not saying it proves Cornell's attack is better, but it does poke holes in your "obviously" statement. And UVA's attack is arguably as good or better as well and played better in the match ups vs ND this season. ND beat UVA with better defense, goaltending, and middie play ND is the best team right now and is the likely national champ, but it's because of depth and talent across the board.
okay..."obviously" my bad

Consider ND's attack ride not just their offensive prowess.
coda

Post by coda »

This maybe true (arguable), but Middie is where ND is far and away the best unit in the country. They can run 3 lines in a game, while most teams are praying they can survive a few possessions with their 2nd line to give the starters a breather. That is such a huge advantage, especially if it gets warm out. We saw ND win its 1st title on the back of their midfield, not the attack.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

If DU can duplicate their defensive intensity and goalie play on display on Sunday, they can beat ND. If not, don't see Cavs or Terps beating ND in final.
molo

Post by molo »

Sunday was the first time I’ve seen Denver since the Hopkins game. In person the size of their offensive middies and defensemen stands out. Bother FOGOs are good, but the Denver guy is a bull. As heavy dogs, the Pios are playing with house money. I can’t really disagree with those who see ND as a prohibitive favorite, but excellent goaltending and a powerful FOGO could lead the Pios to an upset by something like 12-10.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”