W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nelaxman

Re: W&L 2024

Post by nelaxman »

Enjoy your moment, W&L; it will all be over in less than 24 hours. You're about to get dominated. You've never faced a team like this and won't know how to handle their style. This isn't SU's slow, methodical possessions. Tufts is about to run all over you!
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

nelaxman wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:40 am Enjoy your moment, W&L; it will all be over in less than 24 hours. You're about to get dominated. You've never faced a team like this and won't know how to handle their style. This isn't SU's slow, methodical possessions. Tufts is about to run all over you!
W&L just had the best win a team had had in a long time. Will they beat Tufts, I don’t know. But win or lose this win will not be forgotten for a while.
LetTheBoyWatch

Post by LetTheBoyWatch »

choochooCharlie wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:00 am
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:33 am
Chinstrap wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:10 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:49 am
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:40 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:09 am
LexVegas wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:16 amMendoza is a good but young defensive coach. He will hopefully make adjustments - but it shouldn’t be surprising he has this many injuries.
Mendoza isn’t young anymore. He has been in the coaching business for over a decade, time to figure it out. He does the recruiting there, and he’d be the first to tell you that W&L’s academic reputation recruits for itself (in the country club and boarding school circles).

What this team needs is GRIT, hence all the injuries. Until Mendoza starts actively pulling in kids from some diverse backgrounds, I see them continuing to be plagued by this “injury bug.” He’s a Cortland guy, he should be able to identify scrappy tough blue collar players, and the school’s commitment to bringing in students with a diverse range of backgrounds should help him in the process. Lazy recruiting is to blame for year after year of chronic injuries IMO.

The school easily draws in some of the best talent money can buy (literally), but not an ounce of grit in each class, that’s where his work needs to come in.
Mannino (playing with his brace) who have grit.
My man with the brace is a warrior.
put down the Old Crow
you need some “work ethic” to overcome the inevitable challenges found in high pressure “big games.”

By the way, Old Crow is not my brand.
The reality is what it is. Not to say they don’t have any, but they simply aren’t known for their grit. (Maybe a stereotype or flat out wrong, but that doesn’t change the fact)
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:47 am
MarionBarry wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:42 pm I'll contribute to the hate...
They are soft and had the least hardest path, I won't call it easy cause it never is, so least hard. Same as last year.
From my vantage point, they have overcome more than most of the teams that many expect to show up every year. It would be great just to have some new blood to shake up things.

“soft” this team is not. And I get the feeling that even if things were to go their way, the reaction from some would be “yes, but…..”
FWIW losing games that you were supposed to win and then “bouncing back” isn’t really overcoming adversity. It’s underperforming and/or being inconsistent.

And we don’t have to over think the “what if they win” scenario, because spoiler alert….

GULLS by 8+
😂😂😂😂. Time to exit the forum.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

nelaxman wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:40 am Enjoy your moment, W&L; it will all be over in less than 24 hours. You're about to get dominated. You've never faced a team like this and won't know how to handle their style. This isn't SU's slow, methodical possessions. Tufts is about to run all over you!
Classy post! Ask yourself if you really want your team to have to play RIT a second time this year in finals? ;)

Congrats to W&L... what a win! For one, your frosh fogo special! Good luck vs Tufts tonight.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:09 am
5Star wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:48 am I don’t know much about the nitty gritty of any of this. But if this team has sustained tons of injuries and still gotten this far I’d say they’re pretty gritty.

If they’ve rallied back from a bad Stevenson loss and 4-3 start to have a 9-0 ODAC record. Rallied after a disappointing performance against RMC in ODAC tournament to make it to another NCAA quarterfinal while defeating their arch rival on the road. All the while sustaining more season ending injuries. I’d say this team has plenty of grit and toughness.

They’re young, they’ll make mistakes, but there’s not much quit in this group. That is a reflection of the character of the young men and the culture that the staff has created. Good luck tomorrow and hopefully Sunday.
Totally agree. At the beginning of the season when they posted the schedule I thought it was the toughest schedule I could recall. This isn’t just a physically tough team but a mentally tough group. Season opener 1 goal loss to York, losing 2 games in the Mustang Classic , losing to that team in the ODAC a lot of teams might fold. Best was beating Lynchburg 2x at their place and advancing in the NCAA. I believe Lynchburg is a great team and as mentally tough as they come. Despite injuries and 5th year rosters they’ve gone against out of what about 270 teams there are only 8 left. Don’t know the outcome of this game but whatever it is these guys fight. Good luck !👍
This post aged very well.
Losing starters Allen and Beatty !!
1 goal loss @ York.
Mustang Classic getting RIT with that dreaded last game vs. Stevie..
Tight game @ RMC
Burns, Cohen and Mannino injuries …
HSC took them to the brink testing their depth.
LYN 1 goal win @ one of the toughest environments.
NOKE took them to the bring brink.
RMC was a kick in the teeth.
LYN sweet 16 again on Shelly… made me a believer

Good luck today.. Back to back experience @ Mustang may serve them well (along with Spano and DeCain of course)!
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

BigMoose9 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:42 am
W&L just had the best win a team had had in a long time. Will they beat Tufts, I don’t know. But win or lose this win will not be forgotten for a while.
Wait , I’m confused. Regardless of what happens going forward, I would think you would be thankful to W&L for eliminating that “slow merhodical 22-0 team” that eliminated your team in the last game of 2023. Apparently not.
JumboDeano20

Post by JumboDeano20 »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 am
Wait , I’m confused. Regardless of what happens going forward, I would think you would be thankful to W&L for eliminating that “slow merhodical 22-0 team” that eliminated your team in the last game of 2023. Apparently not.
So, not sure what the NELax guy is saying. I expect a very good lax game tonight in Maryland. Couple of things to watch in this one:
1. Faceoff depth - Tufts has a few guys they switch around and will try different tactics, wing play is also very good on both sides. Fun battle to watch.
2. Goalkeeping - DeCain vs. Garzone. Garzone wasn't as tested Saturday but was stout making seven stops and allowing two goals. DeCain saw more action, but was pretty solid in the OT win.
3. High Scoring - I thing this is going to be a face-paced game...everyone things that only RIT and Tufts play fast in transition, but having watched the Gennies some this year, they also like to get going. I could see some up and down lax, which will make for a nice Sunday evening watch.
4. Moment - Tufts has been to this moment before, four straight years. It's more familiar and they know what's on the line. W&L hasn't been to a national semifinal since 2002, I'd assume most of the W&L players weren't born. Not saying this is a huge thing, but it'll be interesting to see how both teams respond knowing what's on the line...and also, they'll know who will be waiting in the natty by the time they faceoff.

Should be fun!
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

JumboDeano20 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:00 am
So, not sure what the NELax guy is saying. I expect a very good lax game tonight in Maryland. Couple of things to watch in this one:
1. Faceoff depth - Tufts has a few guys they switch around and will try different tactics, wing play is also very good on both sides. Fun battle to watch.
2. Goalkeeping - DeCain vs. Garzone. Garzone wasn't as tested Saturday but was stout making seven stops and allowing two goals. DeCain saw more action, but was pretty solid in the OT win.
3. High Scoring - I thing this is going to be a face-paced game...everyone things that only RIT and Tufts play fast in transition, but having watched the Gennies some this year, they also like to get going. I could see some up and down lax, which will make for a nice Sunday evening watch.
4. Moment - Tufts has been to this moment before, four straight years. It's more familiar and they know what's on the line. W&L hasn't been to a national semifinal since 2002, I'd assume most of the W&L players weren't born. Not saying this is a huge thing, but it'll be interesting to see how both teams respond knowing what's on the line...and also, they'll know who will be waiting in the natty by the time they faceoff.

Should be fun!
What NELax guy is saying, is that we don't stand a chance against your team tonight. On paper, Tufts would be considered the favorite, but we all know how that has turned out. Go Gennies!!

valaxfan
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

valaxfan wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:35 am
JumboDeano20 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:00 am

Should be fun!
What NELax guy is saying, is that we don't stand a chance against your team tonight. On paper, Tufts would be considered the favorite, but we all know how that has turned out. Go Gennies!!

valaxfan
As a Tufts fan, I have the utmost respect for the HUGE accomplishment last night especially being down 8 to 1. I thought the game was over but congrats on showing the grit, the determination, and showing the Salisbury faithful that no team is going to roll over. The only advantage that Tufts has tonight is that they did not have the grinding game that W&L had yesterday and Tufts got to rest most of their starters in the fourth. Anyone can win this one and Tufts has shown times where they don't show up in the first quarter. Good Luck to W&L and may the team that executes the best tonight win.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

No disrespect to W&L; they are a good, solid team, but not great. However, they have absolutely no shot tonight. They haven’t experienced the pressure that Tufts will put on them. The level of athleticism is simply different. Tufts will come out hot and dominate early on. A well rested Tufts is going to put beat down on W & L tonight. 23- 7 prediction
HarleyX

Post by HarleyX »

Interesting to see how this one plays out. Tufts plays a style that is difficult to scout for and tough to replicate. Not too many teams W&L has played play to similar play style. If they can win faceoffs, own TOP and clear at a high clip then they can definitely find a way to win, but it's easier said than done against this tufts team.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

nelaxman wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:56 pm No disrespect to W&L; they are a good, solid team, but not great. However, they have absolutely no shot tonight. They haven’t experienced the pressure that Tufts will put on them. The level of athleticism is simply different. Tufts will come out hot and dominate early on. A well rested Tufts is going to put beat down on W & L tonight. 23- 7 prediction
hard to tell if this is sarcasm, or just ignorance.

tufts might blow them out. but to claim a team that just beat the best team in D3 over the past two years, has no shot, is just ignorance.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

If Washington and Lee could play at this pace for 4 quarters they have a shot to win this game. This is the formula to beat Tufts keep scoring. So far, I’m extremely impressed!
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

nelaxman wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:56 pm No disrespect to W&L; they are a good, solid team, but not great. However, they have absolutely no shot tonight. They haven’t experienced the pressure that Tufts will put on them. The level of athleticism is simply different. Tufts will come out hot and dominate early on. A well rested Tufts is going to put beat down on W & L tonight. 23- 7 prediction
Posts like this are just nonsense. I could have cut and pasted the same remarks, substituted Salisbury for Tufts. How’d that work out for the “invincible” Salisbury. Great game so far and W&L certainly has a chance. Your prediction is so out of touch with reality, but I suspect that hubris is why many on this forum pan Tufts and relish whenever they get their asses handed to them. Tufts is certainly a force, but at this stage, there are no pretenders. W&L peaking at the right time and it’s anyone’s game.
LaxGuru27

Post by LaxGuru27 »

If Washington and Lee had a good goalie they would be winning this game. I get DeCain is a freshman but is there no other goalie better at stopping outside shots? He lets in a lot of shots that should be saved. Generals offense has looked very impressive tonight with that being said.
luxlaxbro

Post by luxlaxbro »

Great game, and season, by WnL. 4Q seemed to be the difference for the game. ODAC needs to figure out how to beat these northern teams.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

LaxGuru27 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:09 pm If Washington and Lee had a good goalie they would be winning this game. I get DeCain is a freshman but is there no other goalie better at stopping outside shots? He lets in a lot of shots that should be saved. Generals offense has looked very impressive tonight with that being said.
I'm no W&L fan, but that goalie played as well as you could expect, he made some incredible saves.
W&L showed out for the ODAC this weekend, good on them.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Great NCAA tournament showing by the Gennies. You can't say they didn't play hard tonight. Tufts is just a better team, nothing wrong with that but for 3 quarters, we all believed. Generals had a lot of heart tonight. Best of luck to the Seniors, and looking forward to the incoming Freshmen for next year. Thanks to Coach McCabe and staff for making us Gennies fans smile at your accomplishments this year. Good Luck to Tufts! I hope we play you in the future with a different outcome!

Much Appreciated.

valaxfan
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:33 pm
LaxGuru27 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:09 pm If Washington and Lee had a good goalie they would be winning this game. I get DeCain is a freshman but is there no other goalie better at stopping outside shots? He lets in a lot of shots that should be saved. Generals offense has looked very impressive tonight with that being said.
I'm no W&L fan, but that goalie played as well as you could expect, he made some incredible saves.
W&L showed out for the ODAC this weekend, good on them.
Yea I’d say a trickling amount of mistakes, lack of executing and finishing caused their downfall in the 4th. A few fast breaks, DeCains play where he came out to midfield and lost it, illegal body check call etc
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Tough 4th quarter, but still an incredible season. Lots to be proud of and many reasons to be optimistic about next year.

Tremendous job by the players and coaching staff.

Congratulations.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”