D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by nyjay »

So how we feeling about next year?
norcalhop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by norcalhop »

Not good. It might be a rebuilding year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The body is still warm for god's sake. This sucks
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:54 pm Not good. It might be a rebuilding year.
Agree. The seniors and grads this year were so special. Took their punches and always fought back.

We’re going to really notice their absence next season.

It’s not just a matter of talent. A big part is leadership.

Think Collison is ready for that?

I’m not so sure.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

It will be a year of turnover and growth. Whether the new kids will be ready to take the next step and move into bigger roles we'll see but much of the team will be almost unrecognizable. That's going to come with some growing pains for sure but at the same time we've also been living with some maddening things from those departing us. There's always hope for improvement in some areas.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:55 pm The body is still warm for god's sake. This sucks
Was trying to avoid endless rehashes of today. I do not think the 25 Jays will be as good as the 24 Jays. However, I think you can say that about almost every other team in Division 1 lacrosse. Massive step forward the last couple of years. A very solid foundation has been built. There's enough talent on this team for it to continue. Can't wait to see all the young guys play. We're on the right path. Onward.
viho

Post by viho »

Please remind us, which players are heading out the door?
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

100% Gone zero chance of coming back due to them being out of eligibility should be Graduate Students...
G - Ierlan
A - Degnon
A - Angelus
DM - Aviles
D - Stoebner
D - Szuluk

Listed as Seniors so who knows if they want / can come back or have plans to move on with life but all of these guys should have COVID year at least right?...
A - Melendez (has eligibility for sure)
M - Bauer
M - Grimes
M - Peshko
M - Cam Chauvette
M - Mcdermott
M - Evans
DM - Martin
DM - Jaronski
DM - Raposo
DM - Arteaga
DM - Ince
FO - Dunn
D - Smith

The roster also has Todaro listed as a Junior I think but he has been around just shy of forever hasn't he? Probably has some eligibility left if he wanted it but yeah.
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Sun May 19, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:54 pm Not good. It might be a rebuilding year.
With the end of COVID eligibility, everyone next year is "rebuilding". Certain schools (Princeton and Syracuse, off the top of my head) seem to have an advantage in terms of key returnees, especially on offense. But everyone is in a similar boat. The word is that there are going to be a ton of undergrads in the portal this year (won't really know until after the tournament is over). We'll just have to see after everything shakes out in a few weeks.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 pm 100% Gone zero chance of coming back due to them being out of eligibility should be Graduate Students...
G - Ierlan
A - Degnon
A - Angelus
DM - Aviles
D - Stoebner
D - Szuluk

Listed as Seniors so who knows if they want / can come back or have plans to move on with life but all of these guys should have COVID year at least...
M - Bauer
M - Grimes
M - Peshko
M - Cam Chauvette
M - Mcdermott
M - Evans
DM - Martin
DM - Jaronski
DM - Raposo
DM - Arteaga
DM - Ince
FO - Dunn
D - Smith

The roster also has Todaro listed as a Junior I think but he has been around just shy of forever hasn't he? Probably has some eligibility left if he wanted it but yeah.
Grimes, Peshko, Martin, McDermott, Jaronski, Dunn all played in significant number of games 2021-2024. They are done.

Bauer didn't play in 2021, Chauvette was hurt, Evans didn't play, Raposo played in 4 games so not sure if they could get another year for him but maybe, Ince didn't play, and Smith only played in 2 games. So those guys likely can come back if chosen
primitiveskills

I'll be optimistic until proven otherwise. Smith (seems certain he'll be back), Kilrain, C. Brown (who was really good today, BTW), Collison, Ayers, H. Chauvette, Melendez, Bauer (anoither who is reportedly back), and some others I'm certain I'm missing is a really good start. G, FO/Wing, and SSDM are going to be the question marks, but seems like we say that every season! There will certainly be some portal activity. In general, its going to be a whole new world in D1 next year without all the 6th years out there. One of the brutal aspects of today is that it is so long before the next game, but I'm already excited for it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I haven't gotten the official official word but it certainly seems like Dickinson FOGO John McKee is transferring in. He's career >60% and one of the top faceoff guys in D3 per LaxRef's Elo ratings. McKee + Callahan + incoming frosh Joe Hobot (who I like a lot — tremendous athlete) puts that in a pretty good spot.

Monfort coming in from Yale to help at SSDM, but need more there with all the graduation losses. Shoutout to Martin and Jaronski for four terrific years at Homewood.

Degnon had a great game, great season, and great career. Needs to be in the Hopkins Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible. There's no replacing him. One would assume H. Chauvette slides in there though. Excited about the idea of him shooting 8 times a game instead of twice, but needs to bulk up a little.

Angel, Szuluk, Ierlan, lots of others — thanks for everything. Left the program better than they found it.

Melendez had a nice game that he can hopefully build off of moving forward. We all know what he's capable of. Can't be ideal playing with those two braces on each ankle.

Ayers is very interesting...tons of potential...but I wonder if now is a good opportunity to tweak how the offense runs a little bit. The easy thing to do is slot him into Angelus' spot and run the same stuff. But feel like that may not be maximizing the talent we have. If there was ever a time to figure out a way to use Koleton Marquis...an attack of Marquis, Chauvette, Melendez could be rather interesting. We'll see how Ayers progresses as a sophomore. Can't teach that first step but the finishing's gotta improve.

And don't forget Brooks is back
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:18 pm I haven't gotten the official official word but it certainly seems like Dickinson FOGO John McKee is transferring in. He's career >60% and one of the top faceoff guys in D3 per LaxRef's Elo ratings. McKee + Callahan + incoming frosh Joe Hobot (who I like a lot — tremendous athlete) puts that in a pretty good spot.

Monfort coming in from Yale to help at SSDM, but need more there with all the graduation losses. Shoutout to Martin and Jaronski for four terrific years at Homewood.

Degnon had a great game, great season, and great career. Needs to be in the Hopkins Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible. There's no replacing him. One would assume H. Chauvette slides in there though. Excited about the idea of him shooting 8 times a game instead of twice, but needs to bulk up a little.

Angel, Szuluk, Ierlan, lots of others — thanks for everything. Left the program better than they found it.

Melendez had a nice game that he can hopefully build off of moving forward. We all know what he's capable of. Can't be ideal playing with those two braces on each ankle.

Ayers is very interesting...tons of potential...but I wonder if now is a good opportunity to tweak how the offense runs a little bit. The easy thing to do is slot him into Angelus' spot and run the same stuff. But feel like that may not be maximizing the talent we have. If there was ever a time to figure out a way to use Koleton Marquis...an attack of Marquis, Chauvette, Melendez could be rather interesting. We'll see how Ayers progresses as a sophomore. Can't teach that first step but the finishing's gotta improve.

Ah, yes, Forgot about English. That's huge.

I'm excited to see how Ayers develops. Needs to work on his finishing but he's pretty explosive (that one dodge today from up top was pretty electric; should have drawn a flag for a hold) and he could be fun to watch with more of a green light. Having him and English dodging from different spots on the field will be hard to defend, and guys like Chauvette and Melendez could feast. What will be interesting to see is the guys who are bubbling underneath who were just never going to see the field this year with all the 5th and 6th years. I know guys like Iler (who is really versatile) and Chick (a tremendous shooter) can play at this level. Probably others as well.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 pm 100% Gone zero chance of coming back due to them being out of eligibility should be Graduate Students...
G - Ierlan
A - Degnon
A - Angelus
DM - Aviles
D - Stoebner
D - Szuluk

Listed as Seniors so who knows if they want / can come back or have plans to move on with life but all of these guys should have COVID year at least right?...
M - Bauer
M - Grimes
M - Peshko
M - Cam Chauvette
M - Mcdermott
M - Evans
DM - Martin
DM - Jaronski
DM - Raposo
DM - Arteaga
DM - Ince
FO - Dunn
D - Smith

Other than for IVY and D3 players, there are no more COVID years, thank god. Seniors who haven’t redshirted or sat out a year for some other reason are gone as they should be.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Lawrenceville defeated Brunswick today to finish top ranked. We’re getting DiCicco and Eye off that championship team to help in the middle of the field.

Middie Liam Gregorek from Shoreham Wading River adds more talent and athleticism.

I also like 6’2” McCleary from Georgetown Prep to add to the second midfield.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Staff desperately needs a replacement for angelus. Ideally multiple Millon level top rated recruits. I can't recall anyone under Milliman that was a top 5 offensive recruit.
Last edited by norcalhop on Sun May 19, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:18 pm I haven't gotten the official official word but it certainly seems like Dickinson FOGO John McKee is transferring in. He's career >60% and one of the top faceoff guys in D3 per LaxRef's Elo ratings. McKee + Callahan + incoming frosh Joe Hobot (who I like a lot — tremendous athlete) puts that in a pretty good spot.

I am going to miss our seniors and grads. All of them.

In some respects, I think Angelus and Degnon were too much of a crutch for Crawley and PM.

I’m hoping they retool the entire offense, and especially hope they get the middies more involved.

Matt Collison has to be the most underutilized offensive midfielder in the country. He has first team AA potential but the offense is not really tailored for him.

Positionless O with everyone being a “role player” has its limits.

I think virtually every team in Division I lacrosse would utilize Collison more than the Blue Jays did this season if he were on their roster.

Collison is no mere “role player.” It’s time Crawley and PM stop treating him like one.

As for Brian Kelly and JK … they did a tremendous job.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:41 pm Lawrenceville defeated Brunswick today to finish top ranked. We’re getting DiCicco and Eye off that championship team to help in the middle of the field.

Middie Liam Gregorek from Shoreham Wading River adds more talent and athleticism.

Great. PM and Crawley can’t run this year’s offense and properly utilize all those middies (and all our returning middies).

They need to rethink the entire offense and stop trying to fit round pegs into square holes.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:41 pm Lawrenceville defeated Brunswick today to finish top ranked. We’re getting DiCicco and Eye off that championship team to help in the middle of the field.

McCleary is a stallion. People are going to love him. Size, speed, electric dodger and finisher. He started off as a 4-star but should 100% be a 5-star, IMO. Not sure he'll get the designation but dude can really play. Does not have much of a right hand but can get to his left at will

Gregorek can do a little bit of everything. Great athlete

I didn't watch the Lville-Brunsciwk game today (was on at the same time as the QF) but watched them dominate Deerfield a few days ago and DiCicco was one of the better players on the field. Could slot in as a 3rd or 4th SSDM immediately. Very good on the wing and can run transition
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:42 pm Staff desperately needs a replacement for angelus. Ideally multiple Millon level top rated recruits. I can't recall anyone under Milliman that was a top 5 offensive recruit.
No one is going to replace Angelus. Would be foolish to try.

Next season is a good opportunity for the coaches to retool their offense.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”