Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:12 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:48 pm Found out the other day that a lot of regular posters here I respect (Hopkins fans) have DocB on ignore. Going to do the same today. Represents the absolute worst of the Hopkins fandom.

Proud of the effort today. The Jays were utterly jobbed on that crease goal. Terrible to go out like that. Why do you have replay? What's the point? Everyone watching at home and in the stadium knew his foot was on the line.
I also put Doc on ignore.

Melendez and Chayse came up big.

Will miss Degnon, Angelus, Jaronski, Peshko and the other seniors and grad students who gave us great memories.

Jays had their chances in the 1st OT.

Team was resilient down the stretch when so many things went wrong. Loved the fight that Hop showed.

Look forward to Fall Ball.
I just call them as I see them.

I was not alone in my opinions.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:14 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:09 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm In the second OT, Peter Milliman refused to coach.

His O was gassed. They weren’t making any headway.

And yet no timeout called.

I have had it with Peter Milliman.

He has never won a championship at any level. I doubt he ever will.

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister
Never won a championship? He’s never made a final four! He wasted three years of Jeff Teat at Cornell, and now wasted a Hop roster loaded with seniors and grad students with 3-4 years of starting experience. It’s back to the drawing board.

LOL DocB on a rant about the Hop coach saying this was the year to win a title. Yea guess you forgot about ND. lol delusional poster.
I think Denver has a good shot at beating ND next week.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Chayse Ierlan is great. Definitely much more than an HM AA. Strange...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:58 pm Chayse Ierlan is great. Definitely much more than an HM AA. Strange...
He was great for Hopkins. Arguably the hottest goalie in the quarterfinals.

Just disappointed his efforts were wasted.

Best wishes to him. He gave us a very memorable season.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:58 pm Chayse Ierlan is great. Definitely much more than an HM AA. Strange...
It really is amazing how much good goalie and FO play matters. This is the first year in 10+ years that Hop has had above-average to AA quality goalie play - it had to be worth at least 2-3 wins and probably more. Thank you #22.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:12 pm
It really is amazing how much good goalie and FO play matters. This is the first year in 10+ years that Hop has had above-average to AA quality goalie play - it had to be worth at least 2-3 wins and probably more. Thank you #22.
Hiring Brian Kelly has had a lot to do with it. Credit PM. Goalie development under the previous staff was non-existent.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:06 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:49 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:45 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm In the second OT, Peter Milliman refused to coach.

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister
There was no way in hell this team was going to win the championship this year. Unless both Kavanaughs got injured pregame. Good game, but as usual offense goes to sleep at times.
This team could have won it all. Leading 10-7 in the 4th quarter against Virginia?

ND is not unbeatable. Maryland was very beatable if Hopkins could push through.

Milliman is not the guy. He will never be the guy.

DocBarrister
10-7 against their backup goalie. You have to put up more goals. Inexcusable.
Just 1 goal, 1 assist from Collison, Grimes, and Peshko.

Crawley and PM needed to build the game plan around their big middies. They obviously didn’t.

Ierlan made this game much closer than it should have been. Virginia should have had at least 13-14 goals.

The attack was never going to get Hopkins enough goals.

DocBarrister
Once more for the season, then I'm done. You just watched four quarters and two overtimes where Collison, Grimes, and Peshko had the ball in their sticks the vast majority of the possession time, dodging continuously, mostly against SSDMs. It isn't the "game plan". UVa won those matchups today; the same ones they lost repeatedly in Charlottesville. Credit to them.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:21 pm

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister
There was no way in hell this team was going to win the championship this year. Unless both Kavanaughs got injured pregame. Good game, but as usual offense goes to sleep at times.
This team could have won it all. Leading 10-7 in the 4th quarter against Virginia?

DocBarrister

Crawley and PM needed to build the game plan around their big middies. They obviously didn’t.

Ierlan made this game much closer than it should have been. Virginia should have had at least 13-14 goals.

DocBarrister
Once more for the season, then I'm done. You just watched four quarters and two overtimes where Collison, Grimes, and Peshko had the ball in their sticks the vast majority of the possession time, dodging continuously, mostly against SSDMs. It isn't the "game plan". UVa won those matchups today; the same ones they lost repeatedly in Charlottesville. Credit to them.
Yeah but if what worked in the first matchup doesn’t work in the rematch, shouldn’t you have adjustments ready?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

That was absolutely a crease violation. I don't know if you all end up winning if the violation was called, but it certainly would hade it exceedingly hard for UVA to win. What a performance in goal. I do think Milliman should have called a timeout in the 2nd OT. The offense was so gassed. Who knows. But that was a crease violation. You all have every right to be furious.
primitiveskills

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:30 pm That was absolutely a crease violation. I don't know if you all end up winning if the violation was called, but it certainly would hade it exceedingly hard for UVA to win. What a performance in goal. I do think Milliman should have called a timeout in the 2nd OT. The offense was so gassed. Who knows. But that was a crease violation. You all have every right to be furious.
Thanks, Wheels. 100% in the crease but I doubt that Milliman will cry in the presser like Danowski did yeasterday. Just a battle of attrition at the end. Good luck to you guys next weekend.
primitiveskills

BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:26 pm

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Yeah but if what worked in the first matchup doesn’t work in the rematch, shouldn’t you have adjustments ready?
Who knows? Virginia's D played well. Problem wasn't so much in 6v6; inability to clear was the killer. At the end, you get Collison the look you want in OT and their goalie just makes a play. My point was that the issue today was definitely not the lack of getting the ball to the "big" middies.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Ultimately in like 30 minutes of game play we just needed the offense to score 1 goal and it kinda doesn't matter. Would prefer that call went our way but the boys had their chance. Clearing was at like 60% today, if I want to be mad or blame something there's plenty to go around already inside the clubhouse.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:30 pm That was absolutely a crease violation. I don't know if you all end up winning if the violation was called, but it certainly would hade it exceedingly hard for UVA to win. What a performance in goal. I do think Milliman should have called a timeout in the 2nd OT. The offense was so gassed. Who knows. But that was a crease violation. You all have every right to be furious.
And what about all the missed calls in the 1st half that went against Virginia? Virginia was completely outplayed much of the game and they came back. Good for their players who dug deep. I do think they have more talent. Credit to Hop as well. They are much improved and a top team and great to see them back…... However, Losers always focus only on the calls that impact their team. Whiners whine…..
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
if doc were the coach (ha!), board of regents would be putting together an emergency meeting on his status after his "dodge aggressively middies!" offense sputtered.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:46 pm
And what about all the missed calls in the 1st half that went against Virginia? Virginia was completely outplayed much of the game and they came back. Good for their players who dug deep. I do think they have more talent. Credit to Hop as well. They are much improved and a top team and great to see them back…... However, Losers always focus only on the calls that impact their team. Whiners whine…..
FYI Wheels is a Terp fan but go off...
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:43 pm

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Who knows? Virginia's D played well. Problem wasn't so much in 6v6; inability to clear was the killer. At the end, you get Collison the look you want in OT and their goalie just makes a play. My point was that the issue today was definitely not the lack of getting the ball to the "big" middies.
The problem WAS 6v6. Hop only scored five 6v6 goals the entire game. The clearing was equally bad but the offense was atrocious. Those sets at the end of regulation and in OT were embarrassing.
primitiveskills

BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:51 pm

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
The problem WAS 6v6. Hop only scored five 6v6 goals the entire game. The clearing was equally bad but the offense was atrocious. Those sets at the end of regulation and in OT were embarrassing.
Which is about the same as UVa. Many of their goals were off unsettled situations and early offense. Scoring 6v6 was pretty inefficient both ways (I'll be interested to see the stats). But between failed clears and a face-off disadvantage, UVa simply had more chances.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:46 pm
Coming into the Hopkins thread after a heartbreaking loss and saying "whiners whine" (not even a Hopkins fan saying this btw) over a blown call that represented the final margin of the game hints at an insecurity. Enjoy the win
coda

Post by coda »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:51 pm

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
They really didn’t have many 6 v 6 opportunities. I would bet they were more efficient in the 6 v 6, than Virginia. Hopkins lost, because Virginia owned the middle of the field. They struggled to clear. They got beat on GBs. They struggled at the X. That’s a lot of extra possessions for Virginia
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Virginia had 7 more possessions than Hop for the game. It was 10-4 in the fourth quarter alone. Just so hard to overcome that. Jays were more efficient (26% to 24%) for the game; and they were super efficient through 3 quarters (34.4%.) But you can't lose FOs 62-38 and blow NINE clears. Just too much.

I hope it happens for the Jays soon. Was an amazing crowd/day at Towson, the energy in the second game was phenomenal. You guys bring a great intensity and passion to the games and these late stages and that was evident. Missing this year is tough with such a senior-laden group and you always want to break through when you're there, but I'm sure there will be more opportunities soon

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”