Hopkins
31%
Virginia
69%

Total votes: 71

Jumbo

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by Jumbo »

steel_hop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:45 pm Said ot before. You cant just rely on set offense. You need to push the ball at times. Hopkins had plenty of opportunities in the 4th quarter and Ot to push play.

Might as well get end of replay review if your not going to get it right. The non in crease call was awful.
i was pulling for hopkins and that call was too close to over turn. not what replay was intended for.
coda

Post by coda »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:28 pm Anything is possible. If this was his / our best shot that kind of sucks because this years offense was ultimately incredibly suspect and I'd like to think in future years the gang will be able to put together a better unit on that end of the field. You can try to scheme all you want but when the boys on the field ultimately flub up some throwing and catching or get tired or miss an assignment, etc. at some point it is entirely out of your hands.

I don't think some of you realize that this blip here for the last two years of some semblance of success are actually well ahead of schedule in the rebuild process from what at least I and many others expected.
For right now all I can say is the Hopkins program is better today, than the day he stepped onto campus.. Will he ever win a NC? That I can’t answer. Hopkins doesn’t dominate the DMV like when Petro arrived on campus as a HC. Much thought situation now
Last edited by coda on Sun May 19, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 pm Well, the question is, do you think PM will ever lead us to a national championship?
I think he has as good a shot as anyone you could get instead. (That is, I would give Tils or Lars a better chance, but they're not taking the job.)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:24 pm Coach K was 17-13, 10-17, and 11-17 in his first three seasons at Duke. Doc would have fired him.

Obviously not suggesting PM will be Coach K, but a little more patience and grace should be afforded to him. PM has gone 4-9, 7-9, 12-6 in the quarters, and 13-3 and a bull$hit crease call from the final four. That’s really, really not that bad man!
It’s not that he is a bad coach. PM is a very good coach.

But there are very good coaches who will probably never win a national championship.

With Tillman, one thought it was just a matter of time, as frustrating as all those final losses were. Corrigan, maybe folks had more doubts, but he reached Final Fours and title games. It wasn’t surprising that he eventually won one.

Right now, PM is a notch below Tambroni. Tambroni may win a national championship someday, but I am very skeptical. He’s a very good coach, and he’s had his chances. But I am skeptical. Would put Cottle and Edell in that same tier.

Just a note … latter-day Petro reached plenty of quarterfinals. Missed just one tournament. Can PM even match latter-day Petro?

This 2024 Hopkins team was good … really good. PM is not going to have a team this good for at least several seasons.

Again … anyone think PM will win a national championship at Hopkins?

Because Hopkins is still Hopkins, and that is still the only measure of success for Hopkins lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

First, if anyone watched the first game today there were two reviewed calls that looked like the original call was wrong. But to overturn would need to be clear, irrefutable. And that simply wasn't sufficiently there in that film any more than earlier calls from prior game weren't overturned. Just too darn close. And no game is won or lost on a single play, a single missed shot, a single missed call, a single pipe, a single save...they all add up. Someone had to win in a game in which arguably neither team really did all as well as they could or should, yet each team made all sorts of marvelous plays nevertheless. Fun game for fans.

Second, why the heck does it need to be an insult to Petro to say that Milliman has done an excellent job in turning Hopkins back into a legitimate contender, an improved trajectory versus the prior cycle? Petro had an amazingly successful run as a player and as coach, less success later on needn't mean he's not HOF, period.

Seems to me that Hop fans should be celebrating the positive trajectory, not ripping the current coach because they came up short in a year when most of us preseason likely didn't expect them to make it to the final 8, much less a half inch away from final 4.

Game ball for Hop would have been Ierlan had they won, IMO.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 pm First, if anyone watched the first game today there were two reviewed calls that looked like the original call was wrong. But to overturn would need to be clear, irrefutable. And that simply wasn't sufficiently there in that film any more than earlier calls from prior game weren't overturned. Just too darn close. And no game is won or lost on a single play, a single missed shot, a single missed call, a single pipe, a single save...they all add up. Someone had to win in a game in which arguably neither team really did all as well as they could or should, yet each team made all sorts of marvelous plays nevertheless. Fun game for fans.

Second, why the heck does it need to be an insult to Petro to say that Milliman has done an excellent job in turning Hopkins back into a legitimate contender, an improved trajectory versus the prior cycle? Petro had an amazingly successful run as a player and as coach, less success later on needn't mean he's not HOF, period.

Seems to me that Hop fans should be celebrating the positive trajectory, not ripping the current coach because they came up short in a year when most of us preseason likely didn't expect them to make it to the final 8, much less a half inch away from final 4.

+1
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 pm Seems to me that Hop fans should be celebrating the positive trajectory, not ripping the current coach because they came up short in a year when most of us preseason likely didn't expect them to make it to the final 8, much less a half inch away from final 4.
Could you just say Doc? Because it's only Doc :P
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

We might have the Doc, but they have Houzz.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 pm First, if anyone watched the first game today there were two reviewed calls that looked like the original call was wrong. But to overturn would need to be clear, irrefutable. And that simply wasn't sufficiently there in that film any more than earlier calls from prior game weren't overturned. Just too darn close. And no game is won or lost on a single play, a single missed shot, a single missed call, a single pipe, a single save...they all add up. Someone had to win in a game in which arguably neither team really did all as well as they could or should, yet each team made all sorts of marvelous plays nevertheless. Fun game for fans.

They literally insulted Petro, MD. Read it again.

I will still root for PM’s success as long as he is the HC at Hopkins.

But I don’t think he will ever bring a national championship to Hopkins. Would be elated if he proved me wrong, but I doubt he ever will.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 pm Seems to me that Hop fans should be celebrating the positive trajectory, not ripping the current coach because they came up short in a year when most of us preseason likely didn't expect them to make it to the final 8, much less a half inch away from final 4.
Please … I think most of you will join in my opinion over time.

You just don’t see it yet.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Seriously. Time everyone put that dweeb on ignore. Heard from a very solid source that he didn't even go to the lacrosse games when he was a student at Hopkins. Guy is the dictionary definition of a loser "fan"

PM has done a great job turning the ship around from the program's nadir, which had nothing to do with him. Today was very disappointing but the program is in a healthy, competitive place, and will compete for titles again
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:52 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:56 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:55 pm Petro just popped a bottle of wine in Chapel Hill, 9 years since the Final Four.
This team is several orders of magnitude better now than where he left it. The only bottles he's popping are for his blood thinners
That’s pretty great. lol.
Sorry, but PM will never accomplish what Petro did as a coach.

Petro’s first 8 seasons:

2001: quarterfinal
2002: Final Four
2003: National Title game
2004: Final Four
2005: National Championship
2006: quarterfinal
2007: National Championship
2008: National Title game

I understand that Petro’s glory years were before Hopfan16’s time, but that doesn’t excuse sh*t comments against one of the greatest Hopkins coaches of all time.

Anyone here seriously think PM will ever measure up to Petro?

DocBarrister :roll:
I know you're on a warpath right now, but I don't even care about Petro v. Milliman really.

I just wanted to recognize his high level troll answer. Was a solid shitpost.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/di/polls/19/64

They were preseason #7, big 10 favorites, and returned just about everyone. They were expected to go to the final four by many in the sport. I had my doubts mid-season, but the expectations were there pre-season.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

As a hoo, the complete meltdown and friendly fire between you hop folks has been hilarious to read. Thanks.

As someone without any dog in this fight, Doc acting like this is still 2003. Bro should be kissing the ground PM walks on for even making Hop relevant again in the current college lax landscape. Real talk.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:56 pm

They literally insulted Petro, MD. Read it again.

I will still root for PM’s success as long as he is the HC at Hopkins.

But I don’t think he will ever bring a national championship to Hopkins. Would be elated if he proved me wrong, but I doubt he ever will.

DocBarrister
Hopkins was on a clear downwards trajectory in Petro's last few seasons. The got a few questionable tourney bids in the late 2010s and had some real bad first round blowout losses in some seasons when they were making the tournament on reputation rather than performance. Millliman has brought them back to contender status.

I have two questions for you.

1. If Milliman is not the answer, who is? Who is this coach that will bring Hopkins back to the glory years of 20 years ago?
2. If Petro is still such a great coach, why hasn't he been named a coach for a top program over the past 5 seasons? That to me is very telling. Nobody is racing to hire him as coach for a top 20 program and I don't think it will happen.

Coaches always get old and the game eventually passes them by. Petro is no longer a great coach.

It's tough to win a championship now. There are more good programs. There are 10-15 teams that can win every season. In 2005, there were 4-5.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Ahahaha the fix is in! We paid those refs big time for the no crease call.

Payback for the timely weather delay back in the 2000s (the exact year escapes me)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:04 pm
Seriously. Time everyone put that dweeb on ignore. Heard from a very solid source that he didn't even go to the lacrosse games when he was a student at Hopkins. Guy is the dictionary definition of a loser "fan"

PM has done a great job turning the ship around from the program's nadir, which had nothing to do with him. Today was very disappointing but the program is in a healthy, competitive place, and will compete for titles again
I don’t think you should be consulting Wombat as a source.

He doesn’t know half the stuff I did in college. He’s the frickin’ geek.

My sophomore year, I participated in every single intramural contest that my club team could … I was the captain of our intramural team.

Went to plenty of Hopkins lacrosse games as well … just not with him. Led three campus organizations my senior year (including programs at a local jail and a substance abuse program).

If you’re missing the gist of this … it was Wombat who was the engineering geek buried in the library.

I also actually played intramural lacrosse at Hopkins. I doubt Wombat ever did.

So … who is your f*cking source again?

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sun May 19, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

It's been a real pleasure watching Hop fans support their team and adjust expectations to the new landscape. Well, except one, anyway.

They were fun to watch this year, and had some epic W's. Hopefully SU and Hop will make it back to the FF again soon. Best of luck next year!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

a fan wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:05 pm

It's been a real pleasure watching Hop fans support their team and adjust expectations to the new landscape. Well, except one, anyway.

They were fun to watch this year, and had some epic W's. Hopefully SU and Hop will make it back to the FF again soon. Best of luck next year!
+1

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”