Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:48 pm
Finster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:39 pm Shelley preserves his chances.
Solid game, but Wayer the best player for Virginia today. Tip the cap to the 2nd goalie

That second goalie was playing in front of his hometown. Probably meant more to him than we can appreciate.

Question: does Lars start him versus Maryland?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

For sure -- that's the kind of "put this on my back boys" moment that O'Neill just didn't have this year. Congrats to an awesome player for the kind of clutch moment that's made him a legend. Well done #1.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Finster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:50 pm
Solid game, but Wayer the best player for Virginia today. Tip the cap to the 2nd goalie

That second goalie was playing in front of his hometown. Probably meant more to him than we can appreciate.

Wondering the same thing. Given the Nunes outing vs. Duke I would say it's not close, you start the Kid. But Lars has pushed all the right buttons in his time in Charlottesville so I'm sure he'll have great reasons if he goes with the veteran.
Finster

Post by Finster »

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:52 pm

Wondering the same thing. Given the Nunes outing vs. Duke I would say it's not close, you start the Kid. But Lars has pushed all the right buttons in his time in Charlottesville so I'm sure he'll have great reasons if he goes with the veteran.

Tricky week of practice
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Finster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:53 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:52 pm

Tricky week of practice
True, but never under estimate a player being honest with a coach if they are not feeling it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Morris stepped into a quarterfinal game down 4 and posted 57% and got the win. Nunes has been pulled twice now and has had some brutal performances. Think you have to stick with Morris.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

[flash=][/flash]
fordmaddoxford wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:34 am Granted I have not been paying attention but they named 5 "finalists". What can this mean if votes have not yet been cast? That no one other than these 5 can win or is eligible to receive votes? If so that would inevitably skew the voting. Who says these are the 5?

In Heisman voting it seems that they name "finalists' and invite them to NYC. If I am not wrong this is post vote. So "finalists" is a misnomer. The winner is known. They are the top vote getters and are used to hype the event. Exploitation plain and simple.
The short answer is "yes". Only the five Finalists can win. At the risk of being corrected (and loosely), initially, there is a "watch" list at the beginning of the season. Mid-season, the watch list is updated with added names. Near the end of the season, a 25 player list is announced (nominees?). That list of 25 is narrowed to five. The winner is chosen from those five players. At least once there have been co-winners.

.... I'm not defending the process, just trying to describe it.
Last edited by faircornell on Sun May 19, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The only co-winners were the Thompson brothers, obviously a special situation.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

No doubt...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
random observer

Post by random observer »

coda wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:12 am
Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:06 am
coda wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:59 am
I don’t think Entrnmann deserves to be in the discussion, but it seems pretty clear the media wants him involved.
Interestingly, the only unanimous 1st Media All-American isn't a finalist.

But a "first goalie" to win the award is a good angle. Sorta like when Megan Taylor won it on the women's side a few years ago.
He was really good, but I didn’t see him separate. He had a great ACC tournament and that got the hype going. He has been 40% and 44% in the tournament. He has been below 50% in over a 3rd of his games. Nothing screaming he should be the 1st goalie to win.
The fact that he was even first team AA over Carroll was a robbery. Terrific player and pro prospect, who has had a superlative college career. But this season based on the merit of his performances he has been merely "very good". Not "best goalie in the country good" let alone "first goalie to ever win the Tewaarton good".
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:28 pm
I don’t think Entrnmann deserves to be in the discussion, but it seems pretty clear the media wants him involved.

But a "first goalie" to win the award is a good angle. Sorta like when Megan Taylor won it on the women's side a few years ago.
He was really good, but I didn’t see him separate. He had a great ACC tournament and that got the hype going. He has been 40% and 44% in the tournament. He has been below 50% in over a 3rd of his games. Nothing screaming he should be the 1st goalie to win.
The fact that he was even first team AA over Carroll was a robbery. Terrific player and pro prospect, who has had a superlative college career. But this season based on the merit of his performances he has been merely "very good". Not "best goalie in the country good" let alone "first goalie to ever win the Tewaarton good".
Tillman Johnson is the best goalie ever.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I have no dog in this fight, and I'm not suggesting any conclusions, but as an interesting comparison:

Liam Entenmann: Games 15, Saves 165, Percentage 55%, SOS (Massey) 2

Emmet Carroll: Games: 15, Saves 238, Percentage 59%, SOS (Massey) 8
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 pm
random observer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:28 pm

Tillman Johnson is the best goalie ever.
The mud bowl remains my worst lacrosse nightmare. Worse than Jeff Cook getting robbed; Worse than the empty-net miss at Byrd.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Matt Brandau deserves the Tewaaraton award for being the best player this season. The fact that his team didn’t make the tournament should have no bearing on this.

Give him the Tewey and then give an award to tournament MVP and be done with it.

Liam Entenmann listed as a finalist is just absurd. Pure ESPN hype. Hell, Pat Kavanagh is the MVP on Notre Dame. I could have made 8 saves (44%) behind that defense on Saturday.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Henpecked wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:19 am Matt Brandau deserves the Tewaaraton award for being the best player this season. The fact that his team didn’t make the tournament should have no bearing on this.

Give him the Tewey and then give an award to tournament MVP and be done with it.

Liam Entenmann listed as a finalist is just absurd. Pure ESPN hype. Hell, Pat Kavanagh is the MVP on Notre Dame. I could have made 8 saves (44%) behind that defense on Saturday.

FWIW, Chris Kavanaugh is the MVP of ND, not Pat.

Personally, I still lean to Brandau because his season was so exceptional, but I'm not a Committee voter; I think the Committee members are leaning now to Shellenberger (or secondarily, P Kavanaugh).

Shellenberger got jobbed last year; maybe this year is the make-up year for one of the all time greats. The fact is, frankly, Shellenberger truly is the best player in the game and has been for two years imo (over O'Neill).

And, whether we/you like it or not, this is that one year where your team needed to make the tournament to get you the Tewaaraton; REALLY helping Shellenberger this morning is the winning goal yesterday....that shot/move will become an iconic lacrosse goal seen by millions over the next five years. That's the kind of goal that wins you a Tewaaraton.

So much so, UVA could even lose to Maryland this coming weekend but provided that Shellenberger plays well, conventional wisdom now says he wins. My $0.02.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Henpecked wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:19 am Matt Brandau deserves the Tewaaraton award for being the best player this season. The fact that his team didn’t make the tournament should have no bearing on this.

Don't know who wins, and Brandau is clearly an AA player. However, he did it against a schedule of mostly weak IVY competition. The other finalists did not, so suspect he is out.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Unless Pat Kavanagh has an unreal weekend en route to a title, this is Shelly's award. Even then, it probably still won't be enough. Shellenberger may have already won it after his "Tewaaraton moment" yesterday. Entenmann hasn't done enough and Chris has outplayed Pat so far in the tournament.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

azim21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:20 am Unless Pat Kavanagh has an unreal weekend en route to a title, this is Shelly's award. Even then, it probably still won't be enough. Shellenberger may have already won it after his "Tewaaraton moment" yesterday. Entenmann hasn't done enough and Chris has outplayed Pat so far in the tournament.
Chris has played better and looks to have eclipsed his brother this season. Interestingly, lacrosse reference supports this contention and rates Chris' season as slightly better.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

It's May 20, 2024, and people still hyping up Matt Brandau. :lol:
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hooz123 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:48 am

It's May 20, 2024, and people still hyping up Matt Brandau. :lol:

You make it easy to root against UVA.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”