Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by jrn19 »

UVA lost their previous 4 games to teams who were in the tournament prior to beating Saint Joe’s this weekend. The only Top 10 team they beat all year was Maryland. They’re a very good team, I don’t think there’s anything to suggest they’re playing “much better” than Hopkins right now aside from a game where they played an overmatched opponent.

Both teams are very good. Maryland lost to both teams. There will be adjustments and I expect Terps will have a good shot, but the opponent is going to be very tough either way
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:51 pm UVA lost their previous 4 games to teams who were in the tournament prior to beating Saint Joe’s this weekend. The only Top 10 team they beat all year was Maryland. They’re a very good team, I don’t think there’s anything to suggest they’re playing “much better” than Hopkins right now aside from a game where they played an overmatched opponent.

Both teams are very good. Maryland lost to both teams. There will be adjustments and I expect Terps will have a good shot, but the opponent is going to be very tough either way
I ain't saying they're playing "much better" than JHU. I'm saying they are "much better" than JHU. We'll see on Sunday, but I think they dominate JHU tomorrow, just like ND did to GT. But my opinion means as little as anyone else's...we'll see in a few hours, that's the beauty of a tournament
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Congrats to the Terps and good luck next week. Since no one mentioned him, I just wanted to recognize redshirt Freshman George Stamos #54 who is playing more and more often at d mid. The Terps will have him for 3 more years and he'll be a leader for most of that time. A great young man.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Stamos played great! He is a stud who will score some goals from his shortie spot in the coming seasons as will Kolar. #8 has been starting since a freshman and I don’t think it’s recognized for the accomplishment it is. You have to be very very good to start as a Freshman at UMD
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 am Congrats to the Terps and good luck next week. Since no one mentioned him, I just wanted to recognize redshirt Freshman George Stamos #54 who is playing more and more often at d mid. The Terps will have him for 3 more years and he'll be a leader for most of that time. A great young man.
Stamos has done well and won us a game.

There is a lacrosse podcaster that thinks his father is the actor John Stamos.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:25 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 am Congrats to the Terps and good luck next week. Since no one mentioned him, I just wanted to recognize redshirt Freshman George Stamos #54 who is playing more and more often at d mid. The Terps will have him for 3 more years and he'll be a leader for most of that time. A great young man.

His father is John Stamos but not that John Stamos. He is head coach at the West Potomac High School varsity lacrosse team in Mount Vernon, VA. George's older brother AJ just graduated from VMI after starting at midfield for several years. His father administered his oath. AJ and George played football as well in high school and George was 1st Team All State All Purpose player (Division 6, the largest high schools) after playing QB, receiver, running back & holding for placekicks and excelling at each position. He is a true leader.
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

Stobaugh setting picks behind x for Spanos and really erksa to give them space is going to be lethal next year , he's a huge body
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:54 am
AreaLax wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:25 am

His father is John Stamos but not that John Stamos. He is head coach at the West Potomac High School varsity lacrosse team in Mount Vernon, VA. George's older brother AJ just graduated from VMI after starting at midfield for several years. His father administered his oath. AJ and George played football as well in high school and George was 1st Team All State All Purpose player (Division 6, the largest high schools) after playing QB, receiver, running back & holding for placekicks and excelling at each position. He is a true leader.
Coached against him when George was a senior, he was an LSM/Pole at the time. High energy, confident, and certainly a talented player. Kid practically had a full beard, five o'clock shadow in HS....I thought to myself, I wonder how old he is b/c he was an outlier on the team.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

For a program that regularly plays in the Final Four, this squad should be extra proud. It's been a battle all season, and that offense has been aesthetically pleasing for one game. Overcoming that deficit and those turnovers to ultimately beat the fight out of a much more talented team is pretty incredible.

If not for the PSU drubbing, I'd say this could be among the all-time Terp defensive teams. It's not, but a lot of guys on that squad have gotten a lot better since February.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Future All-American. What he did at West Potomac as a long pole on the offensive end is just crazy. Phenomenal athlete. All-conference in a good football conference as a receiver, correct? Red-shirting him was so smart. After a year in the strength and conditioning program, he came back looking like a D1 running back. If I'm not mistaken, as well, he's also a great engineering student.

He and Kolar back as shorties next year is a good place to start. Geordy Holmes will probably finally break through, and he'll be a good asset in the clear next year, too. Terps still need 1 or 2 more shorties.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 am For a program that regularly plays in the Final Four, this squad should be extra proud. It's been a battle all season, and that offense has been aesthetically pleasing for one game. Overcoming that deficit and those turnovers to ultimately beat the fight out of a much more talented team is pretty incredible.

If not for the PSU drubbing, I'd say this could be among the all-time Terp defensive teams. It's not, but a lot of guys on that squad have gotten a lot better since February.
Guys like Nick Redd seldom get any attention. He's played a helluva season. You know your defensive midfield is playing well when they never get mentioned during the game, and that was the case yesterday.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 am For a program that regularly plays in the Final Four, this squad should be extra proud. It's been a battle all season, and that offense has been aesthetically pleasing for one game. Overcoming that deficit and those turnovers to ultimately beat the fight out of a much more talented team is pretty incredible.

Guys like Nick Redd seldom get any attention. He's played a helluva season. You know your defensive midfield is playing well when they never get mentioned during the game, and that was the case yesterday.

Wheels: I don't understand why Maryland doesn't ride. Just total concession for the clear by the opponent. I know #7 couldn't move well yesterday, but if I am Maryland, I'd put at least a tiny bit of pressure on the opponent, if not just for the odd missed throw and catch.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

they did get mentioned. every time mcadorey or o'neill got switched on to them. how it was advantage or mismatch dook, and that's what the blue devils were gonna exploit. then, when nothing happened as they tried... crickets.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Finster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 am

Wheels: I don't understand why Maryland doesn't ride. Just total concession for the clear by the opponent. I know #7 couldn't move well yesterday, but if I am Maryland, I'd put at least a tiny bit of pressure on the opponent, if not just for the odd missed throw and catch.
it was to play 6 on 6 and make dook beat them in a full set of their personnel. an att or 2 was often the 1st to the box so any o middies caught preventing transition didn't get caught late or not able to get off. riding with 1 or 2 att wasn't going to prevent much. simply dropped those att to slow it all up. as it turns out, dook threw away a couple key clears, anyway.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Spanos might have been hurt, but one thing to keep in mind about Spanos in general. He had a knee injury in high school (the knee he wears the sleeve on). One of the things about his recovery and even into his red-shirt year at Maryland was that sometimes the knee would just give out. Like, he'd just stumble while walking. So he can have a walking or running gait that can look a little off at time. If he was hurt, he certainly didn't show it on that ride early in the 4th when he went across midfield to trail check that Duke player.

As for the ride, it's just not something Tills and his staff ever really get aggressive about. When Jared played, he'd get aggressive on the ride by himself and cause some turnover. But Jared was the best athlete on every field he played. Keegan's one year in CP also saw him doing that, too. If he has a super athletic attack group, he'll probably let them harass the opposing team.

Mostly, I think it's because Tills would rather get his team back in on defense to play 6-on-6. When you ride hard, you can also give up odd-man opportunities the other way. Part of the reason Maryland didn't run much at all this entire season was because Tills didn't want turnovers (see yesterday) that would let teams run back the defense's throat. He's been worried all year about his defense playing too much, and he's adjusted accordingly...namely by no running.

Since they don't have anything to lose now, notice he's letting the shorties and poles push in transition. He's letting the offense go early. That hasn't been the case all season.They had a high average "time to first shot" yesterday, but that was because of Duke's defense. That shot Brennan hit at the buzzer? It was basically 6 guys standing around for 70 seconds because they couldn't beat their man. With 4 seconds on the shot clock off a restart, Malever runs up the right hash (itself pretty telling....before the tournament, he'd have thrown the ball in the corner), and it looked like Duke was even surprised.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Spoiler alert. It’s a good omen for a Terps victory if..

1) Maltz gets a ground ball.

2) Brennan scores.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 am

it was to play 6 on 6 and make dook beat them in a full set of their personnel. an att or 2 was often the 1st to the box so any o middies caught preventing transition didn't get caught late or not able to get off. riding with 1 or 2 att wasn't going to prevent much. simply dropped those att to slow it all up. as it turns out, dook threw away a couple key clears, anyway.

Makes sense.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:43 am

Spanos might have been hurt, but one thing to keep in mind about Spanos in general. He had a knee injury in high school (the knee he wears the sleeve on). One of the things about his recovery and even into his red-shirt year at Maryland was that sometimes the knee would just give out. Like, he'd just stumble while walking. So he can have a walking or running gait that can look a little off at time. If he was hurt, he certainly didn't show it on that ride early in the 4th when he went across midfield to trail check that Duke player.

As for the ride, it's just not something Tills and his staff ever really get aggressive about. When Jared played, he'd get aggressive on the ride by himself and cause some turnover. But Jared was the best athlete on every field he played. Keegan's one year in CP also saw him doing that, too. If he has a super athletic attack group, he'll probably let them harass the opposing team.

Mostly, I think it's because Tills would rather get his team back in on defense to play 6-on-6. When you ride hard, you can also give up odd-man opportunities the other way. Part of the reason Maryland didn't run much at all this entire season was because Tills didn't want turnovers (see yesterday) that would let teams run back the defense's throat. He's been worried all year about his defense playing too much, and he's adjusted accordingly...namely by no running.

Since they don't have anything to lose now, notice he's letting the shorties and poles push in transition. He's letting the offense go early. That hasn't been the case all season.They had a high average "time to first shot" yesterday, but that was because of Duke's defense. That shot Brennan hit at the buzzer? It was basically 6 guys standing around for 70 seconds because they couldn't beat their man. With 4 seconds on the shot clock off a restart, Malever runs up the right hash (itself pretty telling....before the tournament, he'd have thrown the ball in the corner), and it looked like Duke was even surprised.

Roger to all this.

Re: Spanos...that last ride in the 4th was the only ride I saw Maryland do all day, and of course Spanos (who all game was hobbling) somehow came to play. Bizarre.

In any event, I remain firm that if not for Weirman that game likely gets out of hand by the end of the first half. There was a ton of ball watching and feet in cement by the Terps early on. Weirman willed that team to wake up, especially the second goal. If you rewind that second goal, look at your attack, their lack of foot movement, no one backing up the shot (Maltz started, but he was still goal side when the shot goes in). When that shot is a goal, from then on, I swear the Terps attack started to move.

Also, having Ajax is a luxury that most coaches don't have. The kid has great feet, a great nose for anticipating his opponent's next step.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Finster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:06 am
In any event, I remain firm that if not for Weirman that game likely gets out of hand by the end of the first half. There was a ton of ball watching and feet in cement by the Terps early on. Weirman willed that team to wake up, especially the second goal. If you rewind that second goal, look at your attack, their lack of foot movement, no one backing up the shot (Maltz started, but he was still goal side when the shot goes in). When that shot is a goal, from then on, I swear the Terps attack started to move.

Also, having Ajax is a luxury that most coaches don't have. The kid has great feet, a great nose for anticipating his opponent's next step.
No argument here about Wierman. The timing of his 2 goals were crucial.

Ajax came to College Park as a LSM. Actually got some runs in the 2nd half of the 2021 title game loss to UVA. They moved him to close the next year, but you can see how his LSM experience has made him so good at close. His close outs are perfect. As you said, his footwork and body positioning are the best in the college game. He's always in his attackman's gloves. They never get a break from him.

I think Tills now looks for good HS LSM as part of his recruiting for close defensemen. Will Schaller was the best LSM coming out of HS in his class, and they've moved him to close. Interestingly, AJ Larkin was a five-star close defenseman in HS, and they moved him to LSM. They have Peter Laake coming to CP next year as a 5-star defenseman. I'd be surprised if they move him to LSM, though. He's a clone of Matt Dunn. Probably slot him in as the 4th close defenseman with Burlace, Schaller, and Canfield being the starting group.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:15 am
Finster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:06 am

No argument here about Wierman. The timing of his 2 goals were crucial.

Ajax came to College Park as a LSM. Actually got some runs in the 2nd half of the 2021 title game loss to UVA. They moved him to close the next year, but you can see how his LSM experience has made him so good at close. His close outs are perfect. As you said, his footwork and body positioning are the best in the college game. He's always in his attackman's gloves. They never get a break from him.

I think Tills now looks for good HS LSM as part of his recruiting for close defensemen. Will Schaller was the best LSM coming out of HS in his class, and they've moved him to close. Interestingly, AJ Larkin was a five-star close defenseman in HS, and they moved him to LSM. They have Peter Laake coming to CP next year as a 5-star defenseman. I'd be surprised if they move him to LSM, though. He's a clone of Matt Dunn. Probably slot him in as the 4th close defenseman with Burlace, Schaller, and Canfield being the starting group.

I feel like the Final Four 2024 Terps are more dangerous, now that they're playing with house money. The shooters can relax a bit now; the defense can take chances; McNaney can play loose.

If Weirman can go off at 60%+ in any game, the Terps will be a handful for all remaining teams including ND.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”