2024 All-Americans

D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: 2024 All-Americans

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:28 pm
NutmegCrunch wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:42 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:14 pm Honestly probably a better list than most years. I'd make a few changes

I'd have Pavelini 3rd team at a minimum, same with Collignon from yalem both over teammates who made 3rd team.. And you can't convince me that Laliberty isn't one of the top 9 goalies in the country.

Also some of the womens listed at midfielder aren't close to 2-way players. But I know I won't win that argument.
Agreed on Laliberty (should have been HM, at least) as well as the high profile "middies" who are really attackers. You can see it clearly in game play and from their stats.

I'm a NU supporter, BUT, with a 43% Sv. Pct. Molly Laliberty should not be on any All-American list. She didn't even make All Big Ten. Also, Shea Dolce(BC) should not be AA either. Why? As an individual(that's what AA is based on right? Individual play at a position?) she's not a top line goalie either. She's the starter on a top ten team, but her Sv. Pct. is a little over 45%(46.2).
I still do not understand why in Women's athletics, mediocrity is rewarded and celebrated at times.

NutmegCrunch, go look at their numbers and maybe you will convince yourself about who the top Goalies are.
100%. LaLiberty is 53rd in the country in Save %. Dolce is 25th. AA shouldn't be awarded for wins.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

It’s evident that a player in a top 10 team is gonna have more votes for any player that plays 25-50. A few years ago a High Point player set the record for goals in a season and was given HM I think. One can make the argument about where they play but come on.
AllRob

Post by AllRob »

Must slightly disagree with the goalie comments regarding who is and who isn’t an AA. I do not believe that save percentage is necessarily the most important (or important at all) stat for a goalkeeper. Speaking up for Laliberty and Dolce despite their save percentages, I am not advocating for their being AA. However, I do believe that they (and others I have not researched) are much better than their simple stats. Both seem to have a bit of the “clutch” gene is big games. I have seen much more of Laliberty than Dolce, but Laliberty often seems to make that important save late in the game to stop an opponent’s run or preserve a lead. It is probably way too difficult (without rigorous and voluminous research and time) to quantify that, but I do believe that Laliberty is a top 10-15 goalie for that reason. She is an important cog in the NU defense’s ability to extend pressure far out that few teams employ.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

AllRob wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:47 pm Laliberty often seems to make that important save late in the game to stop an opponent’s run or preserve a lead. It is probably way too difficult (without rigorous and voluminous research and time) to quantify that, but I do believe that Laliberty is a top 10-15 goalie for that reason. She is an important cog in the NU defense’s ability to extend pressure far out that few teams employ.
Yep. She doesn't make all the saves, but she makes the saves that matter. And she totally fires up the rest of the defense and the crowd.
Hello

Post by Hello »

What is the difference would you say between this Inside Lacrosse list and the first and second team all regional selections by IWLCA that will result in their All-American selections next week? Would you expect them to be about the same with regard to players? I think IWLCA goes from 64 regional first team and 64 regional second team players to 48 total All Americans?
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

ultravisitor wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:46 pm
AllRob wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:47 pm Laliberty often seems to make that important save late in the game to stop an opponent’s run or preserve a lead. It is probably way too difficult (without rigorous and voluminous research and time) to quantify that, but I do believe that Laliberty is a top 10-15 goalie for that reason. She is an important cog in the NU defense’s ability to extend pressure far out that few teams employ.
Yep. She doesn't make all the saves, but she makes the saves that matter. And she totally fires up the rest of the defense and the crowd.
The stats are the stats but they don’t tell the full story. I was re-watching the NU- Penn game and the announcers mentioned that the Penn goalie for the season had a save percentage over 60%. Well The Ivy League isn’t known for having great offenses. :roll:
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Hello wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:07 pm What is the difference would you say between this Inside Lacrosse list and the first and second team all regional selections by IWLCA that will result in their All-American selections next week? Would you expect them to be about the same with regard to players? I think IWLCA goes from 64 regional first team and 64 regional second team players to 48 total All Americans?
Yes 48 AA, 3 teams. I think ILW and IWLCA are pretty lock step. But since the list comes out after MDW it will def change to reflect those that stepped up. I have always felt IWLCA is the most "honest" of the AA lists.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

So Luke Wierman is not 1st team AA?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 pm So Luke Wierman is not 1st team AA?
Not sure about that. But he’s a man, so I don’t think he qualifies for the women’s AA honors. Had a nice game against Duke today.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

AllRob wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:47 pm Must slightly disagree with the goalie comments regarding who is and who isn’t an AA. I do not believe that save percentage is necessarily the most important (or important at all) stat for a goalkeeper. Speaking up for Laliberty and Dolce despite their save percentages, I am not advocating for their being AA. However, I do believe that they (and others I have not researched) are much better than their simple stats. Both seem to have a bit of the “clutch” gene is big games. I have seen much more of Laliberty than Dolce, but Laliberty often seems to make that important save late in the game to stop an opponent’s run or preserve a lead. It is probably way too difficult (without rigorous and voluminous research and time) to quantify that, but I do believe that Laliberty is a top 10-15 goalie for that reason. She is an important cog in the NU defense’s ability to extend pressure far out that few teams employ.
A goalie has one main job : Make saves! There is a stat that corroborates that : Save Pct. There is no stat for "clutch gene". How would I as a trainer work on that and give them drills for that? I've never heard a Geneticist talk about a "clutch gene" in the study of DNA. Has a "clutch gene" ever played a role in proving someone innocent of a crime? The answers are, You can't and No. That's a sports term, plain and simple. The concept of an athlete doing well in moments of athletic crisis are real. When that happens to an athlete that has shown a level of consistency, the clutch label can be used. When that happens to an athlete that has been below par or inconsistent, then said athlete is called a rarely used word anymore : Lucky.

I see consistency as a very important aspect of an All-American. If one wants to start a stat for "clutch gene appearances", then be my guest.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

If they listed the players who did NOT make All American….that list would be shorter.

I am sorry, but that many selections is obnoxious. Everyone gets a trophy. Get off my lawn.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 pm If they listed the players who did NOT make All American….that list would be shorter.

I am sorry, but that many selections is obnoxious. Everyone gets a trophy. Get off my lawn.
Agreed!

All-American should mean something.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If you look at the fine print in the All American criteria, you will see that anyone who scores five goals in a season is to be given at least honorable mention status.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Hello wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:07 pm What is the difference would you say between this Inside Lacrosse list and the first and second team all regional selections by IWLCA that will result in their All-American selections next week? Would you expect them to be about the same with regard to players? I think IWLCA goes from 64 regional first team and 64 regional second team players to 48 total All Americans?
The difference is that the iwcla list is the only one that really matters….
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Brownlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:50 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 pm If they listed the players who did NOT make All American….that list would be shorter.

Agreed!

IWLCA all American lists out. Very interesting . Def different from first two teams of the IL list.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Agreed!

IWLCA all American lists out. Very interesting . Def different from first two teams of the IL list.

When people say they were a lacrosse all American, that’s what I presume they are talking about. Iwcla. Or usila for the men…
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Agreed!

When people say they were a lacrosse all American, that’s what I presume they are talking about. Iwcla. Or usila for the men…
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I would like for someone to explain to me (rationally, using facts) how Shea Dolce(BC) is the 2nd team Goalie ahead of Cuocco(Drexel) and Sterling(MD)? And use something other than her "clutch gene" and that BC is in a Power 5 conference and they won.

Another interesting omission...Emma Ward(Syracuse)...42g, 37a...one of the best pure Crease Attacks in D1...HM on Inside Lacrosse...and NADA on the IWLCA list. Have they ever watched her play?

I don't have much of a problem with the other selections, but the Goalie thing is a mystery. And the IWLCA is the coaches' association. What is the criteria being used to make selections?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:29 pm I would like for someone to explain to me (rationally, using facts) how Shea Dolce(BC) is the 2nd team Goalie ahead of Cuocco(Drexel) and Sterling(MD)? And use something other than her "clutch gene" and that BC is in a Power 5 conference and they won.
I'm not sure there is a reason other than that she plays for the right team.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

That’s embarrassing, Rachael Clark second team AA is listed as playing for UVA instead of the correct school, BC.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... -americans

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”