Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 2020

Post by Henpecked »

Post mortem and Early 2020 Predictions

The Hens season ended abruptly a couple weeks ago after a butt whooping from the Towson Tigers in the CAA semis up in Amherst. Despite that setback, most sane people would still label the Hens 2019 season (10-5) a pretty big success and improvement over DeLuca’s first year when the Hens finished a respectable but underwhelming 7-9.

The Hens were competitive in all but two games in 2019 (Villanova and Towson Part Deux). They certainly passed the eye test of being more athletic, better organized and improved on both offense and defense. They also passed the numbers test - The Hens scored 175 goals on the season for an average of 11.7 goals a game. More importantly, they had assists on 95 (54%) of those goals (6.3 assists per game). This represented a more fluid and more efficient offensive unit than we had seen in the past. In 2018 by comparison, the Hens scored 148 goals (10.6 goals a game) and assisted on 65 (44%) of those goals (4.6 assists per game).

But for the pessimists out there, the final results within the CAA conference were nearly identical in each of the past two seasons – Beating Drexel, Hofstra and Fairfield while losing to UMass once and Towson twice.

So what do the Hens need to do to get over the hump and finally win the CAA? The Hens absolutely need to become more competitive at the face-off X. After losing Jake Hervada to injury in game #2, the Hens went into a bit of a tailspin at FOGO. Joe Lenskold took the majority of draws and finished just over 40%. While that was good enough to win 10 games, the Hens needed to be stronger at FOGO in order to compete with Towson and UMass. UD got absolutely crushed in those three games winning only 19 out of 84 face-offs (22%). The defense eventually wore down with the possession differential.

The Hens also need to improve their man-down defense. The Hens gave up 24 man-down goals in 54 chances (.556) ranking them 65th out of 73 D1 teams. The last half of the season was an absolute disaster in this area. Man-down defense needs to improve in 2020 if they are going to beat great passing offensive units like Drexel, UMass and Towson.

TBD in 2020: The Hens will need to replace four-year starter Joe Eisele (34g and 6a) at the lefty attack spot. There are a couple of candidates who might be able to fit that spot including freshmen lefties George Ward and Jake Govett who both played on man-up unit this year. DeLuca may even turn to Canadian lefty Adam Fulton who missed the entire season with an injury. Another option for that spot could be top-ranked in-coming freshman middie Michael Robinson, a Canadian lefty who is having a terrific senior year for the #1 ranked Culver Military Academy.

At midfield the Hens need to replace fifth-year senior Dean DiSimone. He was the Hens most physical dodger who had a really deceptive shot scoring 47 goals and making first-team All-CAA over the past two seasons. The Hens have a couple of players on the current roster who could attempt to fill this role including Kyle Kivinski who finished his freshman season with 5 goals on 15 shots. At 6’ 2” 200lbs he is a physical player with great quickness and a wicked hard shot. I think most people expect him to be the heir apparent on that top unit next year. The Hens may also turn to two Northern California sophomores who both missed the entire season with injuries, Peter St. Geme and Brooke Rideau. Freshman middies Connor Pierce (Radnor HS) and Tommy Beeby (John Jay HS) also missed the full season with injuries and are expected to compete for those open spots on the first two midfields next year.

The Hens also graduate Austin Haynes, Thomas Aloe and Alex Brunner who all played critical parts on this improved defense and each was rewarded with All-CAA accolades (Aloe, a Delaware native, still has a year of eligibility, so he might be back). Returning on close defense are freshmen Owen Grant, Kevin McCormick and junior Zach Strassner who all contributed extensively this past year. The Hens also return starters Ryan Shaw at LSM and SSDMs Jason Seiter and Wade Oursler to solidify that defensive midfield unit. Sophs Connor Sorg, Chris Colman and AJ Hoffmann have also each played significant minutes over the past two seasons, so the pantry is far from bare on defense.

Finally, the big question mark is Jake Hervada who missed all but two games in his senior season. Based on the timing of his injury he is likely eligible for a medical redshirt. It would be great to have him back next year at the face-off X but we shall see. If he does not return I think the Hens will turn to coach Trey Wilkes personal recruit Roland Hockenberry III (Wilkes coached his club team) from Middletown, MD who is dominating the western league in Maryland. In a recent game RH3 (let’s call him that for brevity sake –Thanks Joe!) won 20 of 23 and scored 4 goals. Granted this was not exactly competing against MIAA teams, but still.

2020 Strengths - The Hens will be really strong at attack with the return of two top scorers Charlie Kitchen (37g 27a) and freshman Tye Kurtz (31g 21a), both of whom will be competing in Ontario box leagues this summer. UD will also be returning a pretty solid core of young defenders as mentioned earlier along with All-CAA goalie Matt DeLuca (.589 save percentage). The offensive midfield should be in good shape with Junior Bryce Reid (17g 13a) and freshman Clay Miller (13 g 6a) coming back on the top line. DeLuca will need to find a good second midfield to spell these guys from time to time. If the aforementioned players (St. Geme, Rideau) are fully recovered from injuries, that should help. They should be at least six deep at this position. This past year, they really only went four deep in reality and seemed to tire in the end.

As far as impactful in-coming freshman, at Hens are bringing in LSM Collin Hurley from West Chester Rustin HS, who is very athletic and could step in to Aloe’s spot. I would also expect Michael Robinson to contribute immediately at either Midfield or Attack.

Who elso is coming in next year: Hens have a relatively small recruiting class arriving (below) in the fall

New guys for 2020 (Not including transfers)
Michael Robinson, A/M, Culver Academy, IN
Collin Hurley, LSM, West Chester Rustin HS, PA
Jake DeMare, A, Culver Academy, IN
John Wright, G, The Hill Academy Ont. CA
Tommy Bloom, A, Sanford HS, DE
Tate Wasson, D, Palmyra, PA
Roland Hockenberry III, FO, Middletown HS, MD
Reed Kurtz (Tye’s brother), A, Ontario, CA
Josh Bayer, LSM, LaPlata HS, MD
Harrison Ewing, M, Calvert Hall, MD

Seniors Departing (*who I believe has add’l eligibility)
Jake Hervada FO*
Jackson Finigan M
Austin Haynes D
Brody Bartell G
Chase Konkel M
Thomas Aloe LSM*
Dean DiSimone M
Kevin Sheahan D*
Josh Barrow M
Joe Eisele A
Nick Pressler D
Spencer Turkel FO*
Steven Tortora SSDM*
Stephen Hirschmann M*

And I am pretty sure that DeLuca will try to acquire some talented transfers in addition to this list? But I would not get my hopes up about a transfer at the FOGO position since the elite teams have historically attracted (poached) these players in the past (Ierlan from Albany to Yale, Gallagher from Hofstra to Penn, Schwenk from Monmouth to Virginia, Woodall from High Point to Towson). Keep an eye on freshmen FOGOs like Ashton Wood at Mercer (.651 but only 1-6 against UD this year), Zach Cole at St. Joseph’s (.626 but only 5-14 against UD this year) or Liam McDonough at UMass-Lowell (.605). This may appear to be slim pickings but in reality, these guys are most likely included on every D1 coaches’ Christmas lists. I will be surprised to see all three back with their original squads in the fall…pleasantly surprised. I truly hate this practice of poaching.

Well, that is it for awhile. Maybe, we can kick this up again in late August when we see who shows up on campus? I would expect a surprise or two. Have a great summer and enjoy this weekend’s games!!
Last edited by Henpecked on Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
COMMISH

Re: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 2020

Post by COMMISH »

Thanks for a solid breakdown, Henpecked. FWIW, I am impressed with Coach Deluca's recruiting of players from top programs. Hill Academy, Culver, Calvert Hall? All programs with strong winning cultures. As this will be his 3rd year at the helm the team is really starting to become his, as in his recruits.

Enjoy the summer!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No California kids this year :D
DeLuca should connect with Johnny Christmas, De La Salle upset the field for one of the CA prep titles :!:
BlueHensLaxFan

Post by BlueHensLaxFan »

Henpecked..You're analysis is spot on. I have enjoyed your contributions to this forum for a few years and figured it was time to jump in. I will add that I have someone very close to the program and can confirm that the following players will be back for 2020 season: Hervada, Hirshmann, Aloe, Tortora, and Turkel. On a side note..Look for Chase Konkel on gridiron this fall. He was a stud football player in HS and has decided to give it a go for the Hens at LB or DE. Unfortunately, my sources say that Chris Coleman and Adam Fulton have been medically retired due to concussion issues and will not be a part of 2020 team.

Looking forward to a productive fall practice slate and the 2020 season!
Go Hens!!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Delaware Lacrosse in the news (this may only interest me, but whatever...):

1. Inside Lacrosse included the Hens in the "2020 Way Ahead Rankings" as the #20 team for next season. They point to stars Charlie Kitchen, Tye Kurtz and Matt DeLuca as the reason for inclusion on this list. There is a ton of talent returning next year to Newark from a team that improved a boatload over Coach DeLuca's first two seasons. The next step will be largely motivational. How do you get these guys to refuse to lose close games? Will take massive effort from everyone to improve as a unit.

2. CollegeCrosse named Tye Kurtz (31g, 21a - 52pts) a 2nd Team of the All-Freshman selection. That is really impressive when you think about the list of first teamers just ahead of him - YIKES! Matt Brandau, Yale (50g, 24a), Joey Epstein, JHU (48g, 25a) and Brendan Nictern, Army (30g, 50a). I would look for Tye to improve drastically in his second full-year playing field lacrosse. Guy is an animal.

3. CollegeCrosse also named Clay Miller and Owen Grant to the Honorable Mention list of freshman. It is great to see these guys recognized for their efforts to improve over the season.

Hoping everyone stays healthy and returns even better this fall. Should be fun.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

HP- Glad you made the post for 2 reasons. First I've been thinking about Hens chances to make NCAA's. 2nd avenue opening up since they can beat some of the perennial top schools if they can schedule them. Also, Hens talent level may be better then Towson's next year. We will see. Hiring coach Deluca was a game changer.
2nd reason- Heck, I didn't know IL came out with a poll for next year and I don't check it daily any more. I'm going there now.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Not a total surprise, but it was very cool to see Tye Kurtz listed as the #7 ranked Freshman by Inside Lacrosse.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/54821

I was surprised to see him starting at the fallball event at Penn in October while Charlie Kitchen was recovering from off-season surgery. I remember thinking that Tye had raw talent but seemed really lost at times in the scrimmage against Syracuse. As it turns out this was probably an accurate representation of his game at the time since he was just beginning his first full season playing field lacrosse (his HS in Canada did not offer the sport).

The fact that Tye ended the season with 31 goals and 21 assists shows just how far he progressed in just 9 months on campus. Important to note, he is the only freshman on this top 25 list that was not listed either in the pre-season or mid-season rankings.

Looking forward to seeing how Tye's game evolves over time. He reminds me of Curtis Dickson who had a similar freshman season with the Hens.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Have the Hens looked at this guy ?

https://www.delta-optimist.com/sports/t ... 1.23384184

http://www.bcjall.com/stats#/player/246178/stats

Haiden Dickson.
Relation to Curtis, cousin ?

A lot of similarities, and about the right age, a lot of these Canadians take an extra year or two before they join the college ranks. ‘Hollywood’ Tom Marachek was 21 yo as a Syracuse freshman.

No idea if Haiden Dickson has any field lacrosse background.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

The Hens have recently added two players to the list of 2020 recruits.

Kevin Ellington committed last week to UD after a pretty spectacular season in goal for Loyola Blakefield where he made first-team All-MIAA. For Hen fans used to seeing the 6' 6" Matt DeLuca in net the past three years (and this coming season), you will have to adjust your eye level a bit when the diminutive Ellington arrives on campus next year. From all indications he will be a great addition to the squad.

The Hens also added Long Island middie Jonathan Osmun from Harborfields High School. Osmun was an offensive contributor to the Harborfields team that won the Suffolk "B" County Championship over East Islip this past May.

Other earlier-reported 2020 commits include:

Canadian twins Matt and Cam Acchione who transferred to Hill Academy (Ont.) last season - both defensive middies, I believe.
Ramapo High School, NJ FOGO Logan Premtaj
Boulder HS, CO goalie Tim Beach (Coach is Trevor Tierney, so that's good)
Haverford HS, PA middie, John Scheivert - Big athletic, raw middie, most likely move to SSDM at UD - Plays on the hoops team too.
Glenbrook South HS, IL, defenseman Joe Speers - very tall and rangy defenseman with terrific speed and athleticism.

One thing noticeably absent from this 2020 class is a big goal scorer. Still a couple weeks left before LOIs are signed but I would hope for a high-scoring attackman or middie (maybe Canada?).
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Given how much Towson loses, UD should be the favorite to win the CAA (ahead of Drexel, IMO). I think they're nationally underrated. Deluca in goal is worth several wins alone, and now UD has some good offensive punch. They have the look of a team that can win a 1st round NCAA game.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Freshmen arrive on Friday and Coach DeLuca usually announces the fall schedule shortly after. I saw several of the Hens at Lake Placid a few weeks ago, Charlie Kitchen lost some weight playing box in Canada all summer and looked really fast and mobile. DeLuca was very impressive in goal as well. They have the pieces to have a really good year and no team will work harder. Should be fun. Only date so far is an Alumni game on September 27.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Kitchen did very well.
I assumed he had the box skills, but he proved it in the very tough and grueling OLA Jr A’s — almost 20 games over about two months, longer if you make the Minto Cup.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Just wanted to post an update to the incoming class this year.

Hens have added an 11th recruit to the list provided earlier. Rich Dion an LSM from McDonogh '18 joins this incoming class.

Tough to find any information about what Rich has been doing since he graduated in 2018. He originally committed to Michigan as a sophomore but switched to Navy during his junior year. Not sure if he ever made it to Annapolis or whether he spent a year at NAPS. He was touted as a top defenseman in the club circuit and at McDonogh. He was a two-sport star at McDonogh contributing to successful lacrosse and football teams. A former classmate of Hen attackman George Ward, Rich was a starter on the number one nationally ranked HS team in 2016.

The Hens are going to have a ton of competition at LSM and close defense. Projected contributors at LSM include Thomas Aloe, Ryan Shaw, Collin Hurley and now Rich Dion. Projected starters at close defense are Kevin McCormick, Owen Grant and Zach Strassner - with AJ Hoffman and Connor Sorg as back ups. This group may represent the strongest and deepest group of long sticks the Hens have had in over a decade.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Dion is a talented LSM and was a really good player at McDonogh. There were complications at NAPS and he was back in Maryland all of 2018-99.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I was in South Philly last night for the Box League Championship. The game featured three Blue Hens Dan Deckelbaum, Paul Major, and Jake Hervada.
Deckelbaum who graduated in 08 leads the league in scoring and looks like he could still play for the Hens. As a former pro indoor player he really understands the box game. Much younger Major and Hervada also both played well. It's a physical league with lots of college and former college guys at a pretty high level.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Dan Deckelbaum was a killer at UD. Not surprising that he is still getting it done into his mid- 30's.

Thought I would share the press release of the new arrivals in Newark.

NEWARK, Del. – For the past two seasons, the University of Delaware men's lacrosse team has focused on putting on their hard hats and building the foundation of something special.

This fall, the Blue Hens will look to build on top of that foundation with 11 newcomers joining a program that reached back-to-back CAA Semifinals for the first time in eight years.

Coming to Newark this fall will be defenders Collin Hurley (West Chester, Pa./Bayard Rustin), Rich Dion (Annapolis, Md./McDonogh School), Tate Wasson (Palmyra, Pa./Palmyra)and Josh Bayer (La Plata, Md./La Plata), midfielders Roland Hockenbery (Middletown, Md./Middletown), Harrison Ewing (Frederick, Md./Calvert Hall), Jake DeMare (Naperville, Ill./Culver Military Academy) and Reed Kurtz (Puslinch, Ontario/Bishop Macdonell), attack Tommy Bloom (Newark, Del./Sanford)and Mike Robinson (Peterborough, Ontario/Culver Military Academy), along with goalieJohn Wright (Keene, N.H./The Hill Academy).

"Our coaching staff is extremely pleased to welcome these eleven young men to the University of Delaware's Class of 2023," Head Coach Ben DeLucasaid. "They have a lot of work to do as they transition to the college game, but we believe this group will be incredibly impactful for our program. Together they will bring toughness, speed, skill, and athletic IQ to the lacrosse field. More importantly, their character, competitiveness and work ethic will enhance our program off of the field. We are excited to welcome these young men and their families into the Fightin' Blue Hen Lacrosse program.

Josh Bayer – 5'10", 165 – Defense – La Plata, Md./La Plata High School

Bayer was a standout at La Plata for four seasons, earning All-Conference honors every year and as a senior was named Conference Player of the Year and a US Lacrosse All-American. In his four years, Bayer grabbed over 300 ground balls, caused 136 turnovers and scored 33 goals. La Plata won four consecutive Division Championships during Bayer's career, which also included all-conference career with the football team and a year with the indoor track team.

Tommy Bloom – 5'7", 160 – Attack – Newark, Del./Sanford School

One of the most prolific scorers in Delaware high school history, Bloom brings a star-studded resume to the Blue Hens. The Newark, Del. native played five years of varsity soccer and lacrosse at Sanford, after making both teams as an eighth grader. In his five seasons, he piled up 219 goals, 130 assists for 349 points, all three are school and Delaware high school records. He was a four-time All-Conference and two-time All-State Honoree. For his 52 goals and 26 assists as a senior, Bloom earned US Lacrosse All-American accolades. He was also a three-year captain of the lacrosse team.

Jake DeMare – 5'9", 150 – Midfield – Naperville, Ill./Culver Military Academy

Teammates with incoming freshman Mike Robinson, DeMare was a midfielder at Culver, where the program won two national championships, including a 20-1 senior season in which the team was ranked #1 in the country. DeMare was also a member of the U17 Israeli National team.

Rich Dion – 6'1", 165 – Defense – Annapolis, Md./McDonogh School

Dion was a two-sport standout at McDonogh, helping the Eagles to conference championships in both lacrosse and football during his career. On the lacrosse field, he was a three-year starter at the LSM spot, helping the team to 58 wins over four seasons, including a 20-1 season in 2016 where they won the conference and national championships. Dion's uncle, Ed Brady, played lacrosse for the Blue Hens, graduating in 1989.

Harrison Ewing – 5'10", 175 – Midfield – Frederick, Md./Calvert Hall High School

Ewing comes to Delaware from one of the winningest programs in the state of Maryland. He was a three-year varsity player at Calvert Hall, where the team compiled 52-6 redcord and three consecutive MIAA Conference Championships. He earned All-Country accolades at the midfield spot and also played a year of basketball.

Roland Hockenbery – 5'7", 170 – Midfield– Middletown, Md./Middletown High School

Hockenbery was a three-time All-Area honoree, a three-time All-Conference honoree and a US Lacrosse All-American at Middletown, Md. at the face-off spot. As a three-year starter, he won 76-percent of his faceoffs, while scoring 70 goals and piling up 35 assists. He also played four years of football, twice earning All-Area accolades.

Collin Hurley – 5'10", 170 – Defense – West Chester, Pa./Bayard Rustin High School

Hurley brings a tough, athletic defender mentality to the Blue Hens after playing three sports at Bayard Rustin. He was a four-year member of the lacrosse and wrestling teams, as well three years with the football team. His leadership was evident by serving as a two-year captain for all three programs. He was an All-State honoree for both lacrosse and wrestling.

Reed Kurtz – 5'10", 200 – Midfield – Puslinch, Ontario/Bishop Macdonell Secondary

Just a year after his brother took home CAA Rookie of the Year accolades, Kurtz joins the family and will add an incredibly talented and physical midfielder to the Blue Hens. He was a four-year member of Bishop Macdonell's hockey team, earning a spot in the CWOSSA semifinals in 2018. He was drafted first overall in the Ontario Lacrosse Association Junior A Lacrosse League in 2018 and was a captain for both Team Ontario and Team Canada in 2017.

Mike Robinson – 5'10", 170 – Attack - Peterborough, Ontario/Culver Military Academy

In three seasons at Culver, Robinson terrorized opponent's defenses, scoring 138 goals, along with 75 assists. He was a three-year starter and team captain for his senior season. While at Culver, Robinson and his teammates won three USA Today National Prep Championships and piled up a 61-5 record.

Tate Wasson – 6'1'', 200 – Defense – Palmyra, Pa./Palmyra Central High School

Wasson brings a physical, tough defender to the Blue Hens after a two-sport standout career at Palmyra. He was All-Conference and All-State three times, and earned USA Lacrosse All-American honors as a junior. He was a two-time team captain of both the hockey and lacrosse teams. During his four seasons, Wasson and his teammates compiled a 77-14 ledger, three Keystone Championships, three Mid-Penn Championships and two District Championships.

John Wright – 5'11'', 175 – Goalie – Keene, N.H./The Hill Academy

Wright brings an athletic frame to the net after playing three sports during his high school career, including four years of lacrosse, three years of football and two years of wrestling. On the lacrosse field, Wright was a four-year starter and two-year captain, while earning All-State and All-League accolades. He was named a team defensive MVP on two occasions as well. Wright was also a captain of the football team, where he earned All-conference honors.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:06 am The Hens have recently added two players to the list of 2020 recruits.

Kevin Ellington committed last week to UD after a pretty spectacular season in goal for Loyola Blakefield where he made first-team All-MIAA. For Hen fans used to seeing the 6' 6" Matt DeLuca in net the past three years (and this coming season), you will have to adjust your eye level a bit when the diminutive Ellington arrives on campus next year. From all indications he will be a great addition to the squad.

The Hens also added Long Island middie Jonathan Osmun from Harborfields High School. Osmun was an offensive contributor to the Harborfields team that won the Suffolk "B" County Championship over East Islip this past May.

Other earlier-reported 2020 commits include:

Canadian twins Matt and Cam Acchione who transferred to Hill Academy (Ont.) last season - both defensive middies, I believe.
Ramapo High School, NJ FOGO Logan Premtaj
Boulder HS, CO goalie Tim Beach (Coach is Trevor Tierney, so that's good)
Haverford HS, PA middie, John Scheivert - Big athletic, raw middie, most likely move to SSDM at UD - Plays on the hoops team too.
Glenbrook South HS, IL, defenseman Joe Speers - very tall and rangy defenseman with terrific speed and athleticism.

One thing noticeably absent from this 2020 class is a big goal scorer. Still a couple weeks left before LOIs are signed but I would hope for a high-scoring attackman or middie (maybe Canada?).
A couple weeks back I posted the class of 2020 recruits and noted (above) that the Hens were missing a big goal scorer. I am happy to report that the Hens have added Mt.Hebron senior midfielder Garrett Snyder to this class. Snyder is a tough physical middie with a big shot. Last year he only played 7 games coming off an injury and tallied 35 points in this truncated schedule. I don't remember the Hens having another player from Mt. Hebron.

Can we hope for another 2020 added to this class? There is a large and talented senior class departing after this season, so I hope so.

DeLuca and company are killing it with recruits lately. Lots of under-the-radar guys that will make a difference. Last year DeLuca brought in 6 freshman (Tye Kurtz, Kevin McCormick, Jason Seiter, Clay Miller, Owen Grant, Kyle Kivinski) and one transfer (Wade Oursler -Maryland) that contributed immediately. Keep 'em coming. Hoping for a return to the NCAAs this year. We shall see.
No Tilt

Post by No Tilt »

solid spread of 2020s. talent being found + brought in. keep it up, Hens.
CheeseBeard

Post by CheeseBeard »

Delaware adds another 2020. Matt Montgomery, defenseman from West Chester Rustin. Big time athlete with a high ceiling. Following teammate and current freshman LSM Collin Hurley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aygCnfa9Dz4&t=
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”