Voting

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Voting

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:31 pm
a fan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:42 pm
a fan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:16 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:26 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:37 am
a fan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:00 pm "Democrats motivations behind welcoming this influx of migrants has been clear: they believe these are future Democrat voters.

Tell me you're an idiot without telling me you're an idiot.

Gee, if this is the "plan", how come Republicans didn't pass this sooper-triple-extra-important-sy when Trump was in charge, foiling the Dems nefarious TinFoilHat Plan?!? Why wait until Dems are in charge to kill dumb bills like this one?

Watching grown adults fall for this stuff over, and over, and over, and over again is just.......sad.

But great news everyone! If you vote for Trump, he'll really-sooper-extra-nifty fix allllll your problems, and make the gays and the foreigners go away.
Anyone who believes that electing one candidate over another will solve the problems that concern them have taken the first step to the land of disillusionment. Politicians have only one mission in life, that is to get re- elected.
nonsense....its the r's fault, must be....can never be otherwise. ;)
Didn't say the Dems weren't at fault.

But they're not the ones peddling this stupid, laughable TinFoilHat theory that hard working Catholic immigrants are shoo-in Dem voters.

And when I ask you or your fellow Republicans: if your party REALLY believes this? Why haven't they fixed our immigration and VISA system in the last two decades? Are ya stupid?

Because you can't claim you believe in the idea that immigrants vote D, and then at same time, do NOTHING about our immigration system.

Which tells me: your leaders are LYING to you about this, like they do with so many of their fake issues.
Poor brown people = Democrats. That appeals to MAGA crowd.
It's why it drives me nuts that Republicans can figure out just fine that some sh9t that came out of Biden's mouth (or other Dems) were homophobic or racist...

...yet their response to folks calling out Republican racist dog whistles and the like is to clutch pearls, and claim "oh, everything is racist now'>

Nope. Sometimes your team does racist sh&t. Stop with the "you're playing the race card", when you know doggone well that you have racists in your party, and sometimes Americans say racist sh9t.

That said? America is SO much better with race than much of the planet. It's why immigrants keep coming, obviously.
Despite our problems, I wouldn’t want my kids to grow up anywhere else on the planet. After they have made it, there are lots of other places to enjoy life. I was just thinking about spending 3 months out of the year in the Algarve and the South of France when I retire. Beats Florida.
I'd love a second home in Normandy, home of Calvados. And make the world's best Apple Brandy with some distilling friends. Their way of life is just harmonious. When distiling USED to be synonymous with farming and orcharding.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:15 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:31 pm
a fan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:42 pm
a fan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:16 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:26 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:37 am
a fan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:00 pm "Democrats motivations behind welcoming this influx of migrants has been clear: they believe these are future Democrat voters.

Tell me you're an idiot without telling me you're an idiot.

Gee, if this is the "plan", how come Republicans didn't pass this sooper-triple-extra-important-sy when Trump was in charge, foiling the Dems nefarious TinFoilHat Plan?!? Why wait until Dems are in charge to kill dumb bills like this one?

Watching grown adults fall for this stuff over, and over, and over, and over again is just.......sad.

But great news everyone! If you vote for Trump, he'll really-sooper-extra-nifty fix allllll your problems, and make the gays and the foreigners go away.
Anyone who believes that electing one candidate over another will solve the problems that concern them have taken the first step to the land of disillusionment. Politicians have only one mission in life, that is to get re- elected.
nonsense....its the r's fault, must be....can never be otherwise. ;)
Didn't say the Dems weren't at fault.

But they're not the ones peddling this stupid, laughable TinFoilHat theory that hard working Catholic immigrants are shoo-in Dem voters.

And when I ask you or your fellow Republicans: if your party REALLY believes this? Why haven't they fixed our immigration and VISA system in the last two decades? Are ya stupid?

Because you can't claim you believe in the idea that immigrants vote D, and then at same time, do NOTHING about our immigration system.

Which tells me: your leaders are LYING to you about this, like they do with so many of their fake issues.
Poor brown people = Democrats. That appeals to MAGA crowd.
It's why it drives me nuts that Republicans can figure out just fine that some sh9t that came out of Biden's mouth (or other Dems) were homophobic or racist...

...yet their response to folks calling out Republican racist dog whistles and the like is to clutch pearls, and claim "oh, everything is racist now'>

Nope. Sometimes your team does racist sh&t. Stop with the "you're playing the race card", when you know doggone well that you have racists in your party, and sometimes Americans say racist sh9t.

That said? America is SO much better with race than much of the planet. It's why immigrants keep coming, obviously.
Despite our problems, I wouldn’t want my kids to grow up anywhere else on the planet. After they have made it, there are lots of other places to enjoy life. I was just thinking about spending 3 months out of the year in the Algarve and the South of France when I retire. Beats Florida.
I'd love a second home in Normandy, home of Calvados. And make the world's best Apple Brandy with some distilling friends. Their way of life is just harmonious. When distiling USED to be synonymous with farming and orcharding.
Just sent an email to my nephew. His daughter is coming East this Summer for a Volleyball camp at an “elite” school she aspires to attend. I told him to send her one day earlier than planned so that I can take her to see another “ELIte” school while she is here. I am hoping a few of my Fanlax friends tell their friends and family to stay away from these schools.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:31 pm Just sent an email to my nephew. His daughter is coming East this Summer for a Volleyball camp at an “elite” school she aspires to attend. I told him to send her one day earlier than planned so that I can take her to see another “ELIte” school while she is here. I am hoping a few of my Fanlax friends tell their friends and family to stay away from these schools.
We're already looking to Europe, and France in particular for University and/or summer programs.

The freaking Sorbonne? It'll make you cry to hear this. The Sorbonne is $11K for International students....and free for the French because they don't have their heads up their **ses like we do. Another $12K gets you a dorm in Paris. So my daughter could study, live and eat like a Queen, and it would STILL be far less than just tuition at, say, the University of Michigan.

We're doing this to ourselves as a nation.
old salt

Post by old salt »

In the summer of 1970, while on graduation leave, touring by motorcycle, I met an American girl who was studying at the Sorbonne. I was standing in line to get an entry ticket at the 24 hrs of Le Mans. She noticed the USNA crest on my t-shirt & started a conversation. After we got our tickets a rain squall rolled through which we sat out on the back of my BSA 650 under my rain tarp. We watched the race together from the noon start until well into the night. I did not have lodging -- I'd picked up the BSA in London the day before, took the ferry from Dover, rode through Normandy overnight & arrived in Le Mans in time for the start, so we rode back to the dorm style Youth Hostel where she was staying. I didn't know about Youth Hostels so I bought a Hostel card which I used for the rest of the trip. We went back to watch the race from daybreak to the finish. I gave her a ride to the train station. She gave me her address in Paris & offered to show me around if my travels took me there. I subsequently had an unplanned but pleasant diversion in Bacelona, so I didn't make it to Paris (on that trip). C'est la vie. She seemed very happy with her situation & was not afraid to travel to Le Mans alone. Who knows, maybe she was a Soviet spy...but I didn't know anything worthwhile yet.

Check out Aix-en-Provence for a place to live. Many Brit expats.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I have friends who purchased a home in 2018 in Apt, a little east of Avignon. They have a nice home office for the wage-earner in the family, and vote absentee here I think. Let's talk some more about France.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:31 pm Just sent an email to my nephew. His daughter is coming East this Summer for a Volleyball camp at an “elite” school she aspires to attend. I told him to send her one day earlier than planned so that I can take her to see another “ELIte” school while she is here. I am hoping a few of my Fanlax friends tell their friends and family to stay away from these schools.
We're already looking to Europe, and France in particular for University and/or summer programs.

The freaking Sorbonne? It'll make you cry to hear this. The Sorbonne is $11K for International students....and free for the French because they don't have their heads up their **ses like we do. Another $12K gets you a dorm in Paris. So my daughter could study, live and eat like a Queen, and it would STILL be far less than just tuition at, say, the University of Michigan.

We're doing this to ourselves as a nation.
👍
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:46 am In the summer of 1970, while on graduation leave, touring by motorcycle, I met an American girl who was studying at the Sorbonne. I was standing in line to get an entry ticket at the 24 hrs of Le Mans. She noticed the USNA crest on my t-shirt & started a conversation. After we got our tickets a rain squall rolled through which we sat out on the back of my BSA 650 under my rain tarp. We watched the race together from the noon start until well into the night. I did not have lodging -- I'd picked up the BSA in London the day before, took the ferry from Dover, rode through Normandy overnight & arrived in Le Mans in time for the start, so we rode back to the dorm style Youth Hostel where she was staying. I didn't know about Youth Hostels so I bought a Hostel card which I used for the rest of the trip. We went back to watch the race from daybreak to the finish. I gave her a ride to the train station. She gave me her address in Paris & offered to show me around if my travels took me there. I subsequently had an unplanned but pleasant diversion in Bacelona, so I didn't make it to Paris (on that trip). C'est la vie. She seemed very happy with her situation & was not afraid to travel to Le Mans alone. Who knows, maybe she was a Soviet spy...but I didn't know anything worthwhile yet.

Check out Aix-en-Provence for a place to live. Many Brit expats.
Oh, man....what a great story. Formula one is like baseball for me.......i don't understand it, and I've tried, but I know its great. I'm trying to trick my father in law to take him on a surprise trip to Montreal or wherever, because he loves Formula one. But he keeps having minor medical issues that pop up....rotator cuff problems is the latest, unfortunately.

My father's brother was the gearhead in the family, and sadly, he still lived in Syracuse while we had moved to Denver....so i never got to learn about cars. I'm going to get the car name wrong, but he had a GTO Fastback (no clue on the year), and when I was 12 or so, we visited Syracuse. He took me out for some errand or another, and put a $20 (IIRC) bill on the dash in front of me, and told me it was mine if I could grab it.

When I started to reach, not understanding what was coming, he floored it.......needless to say, I didn't get that $20! Closest I've come to a real car experience outside of a friend taking me out during Brewing School on the Autobahn after asking me "do you like to go fast?"

I'll have a look at Aix-en-Provence while I'm out there this fall with my daughter's class for their big trip to Paris....we're hitting a friend of mine who runs a Calvados distillery in Normandy after she finishes the school portion of the trip.'

Thanks for the suggestion!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:56 am I have friends who purchased a home in 2018 in Apt, a little east of Avignon. They have a nice home office for the wage-earner in the family, and vote absentee here I think. Let's talk some more about France.
Love to hear more!

We’re in process of making the transition; closing on sale of our home outside Baltimore today, so will likely split time in Florida( for now) and cooler climes and travel over summers.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

All of this talk of France and not one mention of the fact that they get all of their voting and counting done in one day. I can see having a voting week, but starting in September is ridiculous. Many events can happen to make one regret their early vote.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:58 am All of this talk of France and not one mention of the fact that they get all of their voting and counting done in one day. I can see having a voting week, but starting in September is ridiculous. Many events can happen to make one regret their early vote.
So...don't vote early.
It's a free country, right?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

My first visit to Europe I stayed in hostels for 3 months, bicycling from hostel to hostel. Taking an occasional train over long distance or mountainous terrain. Great way to see Europe at the time. Even the Europeans traveled that way. Great way to travel.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What does that have to do with Voting?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

for gearheads & wannabes -- next time in Europe, rent a performance car & drive the Nurburgring. It used to be the F1 circuit for the German GP.
https://www.nuerburgring.de/en/

The F1 race in Montreal would be a good one to attend if you can't make it to the British GP.

If I lived in FL, I'd "summer" in Quebec & return to Mt Tremblant to ski in the winter.
Once you've learned survival French, check out Provence & the Med coast south to Barcelona.

It's also fun to "summer" in the UK when so many of the locals are vacationing in Iberia.
Lisbon is my favorite city. Stay in the Alfama & ride the trams. I could reside happily in Portugal.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:35 am for gearheads & wannabes -- next time in Europe, rent a performance car & drive the Nurburgring. It used to be the F1 circuit for the German GP.

The F1 race in Montreal would be a good one to attend if you can't make it to the British GP.

If I lived in FL, I'd "summer" in Quebec & return to Mt Tremblant to ski in the winter.
Once you've learned survival French, check out Provence & the Med coast south to Barcelona.

It's also fun to "summer" in the UK when so many of the locals are vacationing in Iberia.
Lisbon is my favorite city. Stay in the Alfama & ride the trams. I could reside happily in Portugal.
About the only thing that you and I are in agreement on…pretty much.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I suppose all these other countries are just racist....

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3666259

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:28 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:35 am for gearheads & wannabes -- next time in Europe, rent a performance car & drive the Nurburgring. It used to be the F1 circuit for the German GP.

Love Lisbon; my daughter lived there for a year; we ate and drank our way through the Alfama. About two years ago, a partner of mine bought a condo just off the beach in Nazare, Portugal, a little north of Lisbon and south of Porto.

Here is one of the spectator activities in Nazare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfLSN4mxY0E

He rents the condo; let me know if any of you are interested.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:48 pm What does that have to do with Voting?
same thing that global change combustion engine racing and home sales does......
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:28 pm

Love Lisbon; my daughter lived there for a year; we ate and drank our way through the Alfama. About two years ago, a partner of mine bought a condo just off the beach in Nazare, Portugal, a little north of Lisbon and south of Porto.

Here is one of the spectator activities in Nazare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfLSN4mxY0E

He rents the condo; let me know if any of you are interested.
Very interested.

Suck cap IS three grand, a nite.

Bayonne New Jersey is one of my favorites.......

heading to Geneva and Seneca Falls today......any hints ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Return to “POLITICS”