31%
Virginia
69%

Total votes: 71

DoubleD

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by DoubleD »

norcalhop wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:58 pm
DoubleD wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 pm JHU really needs to bring there A game and then some to win this game. UVA looked back to themselves last week and that's not a guarantee they will this week but this time of yr they usually come to play. JHU is good and has a great defense but UVA is more talented and has to much on offense for JHU to contain. If JHU don't play a lot better offense they can't run with UVA. This is it for Shelly and Cormier so they will come out guns blazing. If so JHU can't keep up with them. JHU has a good team a very good team but not an elite team and when UVA plays its best it's an elite team. UVA is gonna score around 14 - 16 goals most likely and I don't see JHU being able to put that much up. Their offense hasn't shown it's capable to run with UVA. Forget the regular season contest it means nothing now. UVA is a more talented on offense then Hopkins. How anyone can say that JHU is just as much talented as UVA is ridiculous. I don't care who wins but I did bet and I took UVA because I feel they are the better team. I think it will be a good game early then UVA pulls away in 2nd half. We shall see
I welcome more hubris from UVa..=). Both teams looked putrid (tough to say which looked worse) down the stretch. UVa did not all of a sudden regain elite form.
No but UVA is known to raise there level come tournament time. They did look good last week and I would expect them to bring their A game this wknd. Hopkins needs to bring there A game and hope UVA slacks off. Just my opinion which don't mean anything. lol
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

To m, the most intriguing game of the weekend - contrast in styles, and both teams having had some clunkers in past month. My guess is if both teams bring their A game, UVA wins.
Lacrossefan25

Post by Lacrossefan25 »

UVA 14-12 final
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Lacrossefan25 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:09 am UVA 14-12 final
UVA 14 - 10 coverage
viho

Post by viho »

UVAs biggest advantage is in the coaching box. Lars has the experience of scheming and adjusting in high pressure situations. Although I really like Koesterer on the jays side.
Finster

Post by Finster »

UVA 16-15, OT classic thriller
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

I don't think this game is going to be a thriller..if anything, it'll be a rather methodical game because Hop is going to slow this down 6v6 as much as possible. I really hope it's competitive though.

Just hoping UVa doesn't come out flat. For whatever reason, this team just doesn't seem to have a killer instinct. It's rather weird with Shelly at the helm. Sometimes they just sort of sleepwalk. I tend to think the team has taken after Shelly a little too much. He's such a calm and collected guy, he operates with such precision. That works for him, but sometimes the team mirrors his style and demeanor a little too much that it becomes detrimental for everyone else. What works for Shelly doesn't work for everyone.

I do think Cormier getting the record is a HUGE weight lifted off this team...I think that is something people overlook. You saw it in the Richmond game, too...team needs to just play ball and not worry about getting their friend's records. It is a real thing that IMO affected the team mentally in multiple games this year vis-a-vis several different records. As the season progressed, Shelly/Cormier were on to the next record game after game. I'm not a sports psychologist, but that stuff is real.
Last edited by Hooz123 on Fri May 17, 2024 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

DoubleD wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 pm JHU really needs to bring there A game and then some to win this game. UVA looked back to themselves last week and that's not a guarantee they will this week but this time of yr they usually come to play. JHU is good and has a great defense but UVA is more talented and has to much on offense for JHU to contain. If JHU don't play a lot better offense they can't run with UVA. This is it for Shelly and Cormier so they will come out guns blazing. If so JHU can't keep up with them. JHU has a good team a very good team but not an elite team and when UVA plays its best it's an elite team. UVA is gonna score around 14 - 16 goals most likely and I don't see JHU being able to put that much up. Their offense hasn't shown it's capable to run with UVA. Forget the regular season contest it means nothing now. UVA is a more talented on offense then Hopkins. How anyone can say that JHU is just as much talented as UVA is ridiculous. I don't care who wins but I did bet and I took UVA because I feel they are the better team. I think it will be a good game early then UVA pulls away in 2nd half. We shall see
I welcome more hubris from UVa..=). Both teams looked putrid (tough to say which looked worse) down the stretch. UVa did not all of a sudden regain elite form.
I don't see much Hubris from the Old Virginia regulars on here. The predictions/speculation of a Virginia win are coming mostly from non Virginia fans.....After all, Hop beat Virginia earlier and Collison and their midfield dominated. after that game, it's also harder to make the claim that Lars has an advantage in staff after that loss. If Nunes struggles, Virginia loses. It's as simple as that. Goal tending, turnovers and face offs will determine the winner as usual....
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

blue angels wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:57 am
I don't see much Hubris from the Old Virginia regulars on here. The predictions/speculation of a Virginia win are coming mostly from non Virginia fans.....After all, Hop beat Virginia earlier and Collison and their midfield dominated. after that game, it's also harder to make the claim that Lars has an advantage in staff after that loss. If Nunes struggles, Virginia loses. It's as simple as that. Goal tending, turnovers and face offs will determine the winner as usual....
Couldn't agree more. In truth, I feel really good about UVa in this game...but if I'm being honest, I haven't felt good going into a UVa game in 2 months...We know there is something not right with this team. But you nailed it - Nunes plays well, we good. That's why I'm so hard on this kid. He hasn't lived up to expectations this year.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hopkins game notes were excellent. This is the most common ncaa tournament matchup. All 3 Hopkins alums played UVA in the ncaa tournament as students.
https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/5/1 ... ekend.aspx
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Hooz123 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:01 am
Couldn't agree more. In truth, I feel really good about UVa in this game...but if I'm being honest, I haven't felt good going into a UVa game in 2 months...We know there is something not right with this team. But you nailed it - Nunes plays well, we good. That's why I'm so hard on this kid. He hasn't lived up to expectations this year.
The team has struggled of late when matched against the Nation's best teams, but wins and losses aren't all on Nune's shoulders. I would strongly disagree with those who would blame him/"Be so hard on him" exclusively. It's still a team game and the staff decides who plays and who doesn't when things aren't working out.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

blue angels wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:32 am
The team has struggled of late when matched against the Nation's best teams, but wins and losses aren't all on Nune's shoulders. I would strongly disagree with those who would blame him/"Be so hard on him" exclusively. It's still a team game and the staff decides who plays and who doesn't when things aren't working out.
Generally, of course I agree with that take, this is a team game. You have to put your goalie in a position to succeed. However, as bad as the defense got chopped up against Duke...Nunes let 8 goals in without a single save. Didn't even stop a shot at random off his leg or body. That was a 100% Nunes. We aren't talking 8 shots from <5 yards...Dude couldn't stop a beach ball.

And therein lies my main gripe and why I'm so hard on him. If you really follow UVa and Nunes' career so far, you know his bottom is VERY LOW. When he's bad, he's really really bad.
Last edited by Hooz123 on Fri May 17, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:32 am
Nunes is a bit over 53%. That is behind a defense that has a propensity to play undisciplined. Put him behind the Hopkins defense for the season and I would bet that number is close to Ierlan's 56%.
molo

Post by molo »

Doc reference on the UVA board by a frequent poster on both this and that board is spot on.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:14 pm Doc reference on the UVA board by a frequent poster on both this and that board is spot on.
Heh … for the record, I have only posted as DocBarrister in the past 20 years.

Second, I’m hardly the only person who thinks Collison (and the other middies) need to play an aggressive game to beat Virginia.

Indeed, isn’t that the book against UVA this season … teams need to attack their defensive midfielders?

In general, UVA’s defense is not as good when you force them to slide, rotate, and switch.

In contrast, the Hopkins D thrives in those movements (although as PM states, they only slide when necessary).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I'd feel better about this UVa game if Grimes, Melendez, Chauvette didn't disappear for stretches at a time.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:52 am I'd feel better about this UVa game if Grimes, Melendez, Chauvette didn't disappear for stretches at a time.
That's a bullseye...
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:52 am I'd feel better about this UVa game if Grimes, Melendez, Chauvette didn't disappear for stretches at a time.
Melendez looking like it’s 2023 would be very helpful..
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hopkins plays their most dynamic game of the year … all over the field … and wins 15-13.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:40 pm Hopkins plays their most dynamic game of the year … all over the field … and wins 15-13.

DocBarrister 8-)
:lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”