W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
W&Lacrosse75

Re: W&L 2024

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

valaxfan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:55 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 pm Some people get delirious when they don’t get what they want.
You need to talk to my wife, LOL.

valaxfan
I could, or I could just talk to mine!
Heaterman10

Post by Heaterman10 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:19 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:40 pm Correction: the 7-6 win was at Salisbury.
Crazy score holding Salisbury to 6! That’s a tough D. I believe they played them later that year in the NCAA’s losing this time in a very low scoring contest.
2013 was Coach Garrett’s senior year. Nice to know he has tasted a victory over Salisbury during his time as a player at W&L.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:36 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:36 pm Dehunt,

Speaking of AAs, I was just told by USA Lacrosse that Alex Brown’s 70 goals were not enough to even be considered for honorable mention because he had only 3 assists, his goal total was good for 19th, and his point total was 179th in D3.

I’m sure he would trade it all for a victory vs Salisbury. I can recall SU actually coming to Lexington many years back and losing 7-6 in 2OT. Whatever the result, I don’t think that there will be 13 goals total. The Generals, unlike many other teams, are 3 and 6 vs Salisbury, with 4 of the losses between 1 goal to 3 goals.
Appreciate the explanation, I should have known better. I was perplexed as to why he did not make it. You’d have thought they’d get more than 1 slot. The truth is winning teams make All Americans not the other way around. To the victors go the spoils. Looking forward to this contest, maybe this team steals a little magic from 2013.What number offensively does W&L need to get to to pull off a win. I’m thinking they may need 13-15 goals even if Spano and De Cain have above average games. The low scores in both games going back to 2013 are indicative of an absent shot clock.
Dehunt,

I get your point about the winners get spoils on the AAs. But I was looking over the lists and W&L was way more accomplished than several of the teams that were represented.

Not that the players awarded weren’t deserved of recognition……..just that a couple of our players warranted at least an honorable mention was my point.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:03 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:36 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:36 pm Dehunt,

Speaking of AAs, I was just told by USA Lacrosse that Alex Brown’s 70 goals were not enough to even be considered for honorable mention because he had only 3 assists, his goal total was good for 19th, and his point total was 179th in D3.

I’m sure he would trade it all for a victory vs Salisbury. I can recall SU actually coming to Lexington many years back and losing 7-6 in 2OT. Whatever the result, I don’t think that there will be 13 goals total. The Generals, unlike many other teams, are 3 and 6 vs Salisbury, with 4 of the losses between 1 goal to 3 goals.
Appreciate the explanation, I should have known better. I was perplexed as to why he did not make it. You’d have thought they’d get more than 1 slot. The truth is winning teams make All Americans not the other way around. To the victors go the spoils. Looking forward to this contest, maybe this team steals a little magic from 2013.What number offensively does W&L need to get to to pull off a win. I’m thinking they may need 13-15 goals even if Spano and De Cain have above average games. The low scores in both games going back to 2013 are indicative of an absent shot clock.
Dehunt,

I get your point about the winners get spoils on the AAs. But I was looking over the lists and W&L was way more accomplished than several of the teams that were represented.

Not that the players awarded weren’t deserved of recognition……..just that a couple of our players warranted at least an honorable mention was my point.
Believe me I was shocked w&L only got 1 slot. So much so that I went thru the list 3x and then checked to see if I was looking at the wrong list. Hard to believe an Elite 8 team had 1 AA. I do lean towards the loss w that 1 team that kept them out of the conference finals may have hurt. If they got to the finals would they perhaps picked up 1 more??? I have heard of some really crazy stories that have come out of these committees over the years. Last year they had 6 AA’s , last time they only had 1 was 2017. There have to be players that have to feel disrespected being omitted.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Yes. And, hopefully, they as a team are feeling “really disrespected” about NOW.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Interesting happenstance: W&L women play at 1:30 Saturday (vs CNU) at Salisbury Sea Gull Stadium. W&L men play at 4:30 Saturday (vs Salisbury) at Salisbury Sea Gull Stadium
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm Interesting happenstance: W&L women play at 1:30 Saturday (vs CNU) at Salisbury Sea Gull Stadium. W&L men play at 4:30 Saturday (vs Salisbury) at Salisbury Sea Gull Stadium
How are your Women’s Softball and Men’s Baseball? Also being hosted at Salisbury this weekend!
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Baseball has finished the season. Softball team is being added for next season.
richard

Post by richard »

Would you Gennies finally beat Salisbury. It’s time you created your D3 legacy so you can put the armadillo to rest! :roll:
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

richard wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:05 pm Would you Gennies finally beat Salisbury. It’s time you created your D3 legacy so you can put the armadillo to rest! :roll:
Good one Rich, LoL.

valaxfan
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Can your Generals be the bully? If they can establish a physical presence and finish their opportunities, anything can happen. 50/50 ground balls. Fill slides. Clears. De Cain has to have a day.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:15 pm Can your Generals be the bully? If they can establish a physical presence and finish their opportunities, anything can happen. 50/50 ground balls. Fill slides. Clears. De Cain has to have a day.
In short answer...no

W&L defense doesn't have the horses on defense to keep up with salisburys 1st midfield line for 60 mins
richard

Post by richard »

MarionBarry wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:44 pm [quote=MVPiccoli post_id=552306 time=<a href="tel:1715825748">1715825748</a> user_id=3080]
Can your Generals be the bully? If they can establish a physical presence and finish their opportunities, anything can happen. 50/50 ground balls. Fill slides. Clears. De Cain has to have a day.
In short answer...no

W&L defense doesn't have the horses on defense to keep up with salisburys 1st midfield line for 60 mins
[/quote]

Gotta be like the bugs. They don’t know the word no when it comes to the dirt birds. Gotta walk onto the sandbox not giving a crap.
Otherwise you are giving up 5-6 goals before the whistle even blows. I saw them vs RIT. They can puff their chests out if they want, Be the bully.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

richard wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:10 pm
MarionBarry wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:44 pm [quote=MVPiccoli post_id=552306 time=<a href="tel:1715825748">1715825748</a> user_id=3080]
In short answer...no

Gotta be like the bugs. They don’t know the word no when it comes to the dirt birds. Gotta walk onto the sandbox not giving a crap.
Otherwise you are giving up 5-6 goals before the whistle even blows. I saw them vs RIT. They can puff their chests out if they want, Be the bully.
[/quote]

Well said. Nothing to lose. Throw “caution to the wind.” If you keep believing you can’t change recent history, you don’t have a chance. And, sooner or later, you need to change the narrative to change your fortunes and build for the future.

All “experience” in high profile competition is a building block, so take advantage.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

JPAtlantic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:27 pm Game preview by the numbers….

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/expec ... lwj30fjq59
Interesting analysis. I would think that the goalies would also factor heavily. But maybe they are included in the “defense” instead of desperately. Thanks for this.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:54 pm

Interesting analysis. I would think that the goalies would also factor heavily. But maybe they are included in the “defense” instead of desperately. Thanks for this.
(I meant “separately.”)
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

JPA/WL75, here are the gory details. According to LR, we have a 3.8% chance:

Upcoming Schedule

Opponent: Salisbury
Date: May 18
Adj Off Rank: 2nd
Adj Def Rank: 2nd
Adj FO Rank: 8th
Adj GK Rank: 26th
Win Probability 3.8%

valxfan
LexVegas

Post by LexVegas »

I know the numbers say what they say for this game.

The game last year was a 3-4 goal onslaught by the Gulls against a very strong defense out of the gate.

Then it was an evenly matched game where a lot of the Gulls alumni and players said we gave them their only scare of the year.

I hate blaming referees- but it’s tough to win on the Eastern Shore and let’s give W&L some credit - last year was a close game.

I also think W&L has a deep bench. Lots of kids come there that could have gone a lot of places.

Their Achilles heel has been complacency - HS and Randy Mac. Slow starts against teams that they were heads and shoulders above in terms of talent (York for example).

Lots of injuries in the d-mid position. They aren’t running deep enough there - some of what was said about Mendoza and his recruits is accurate.

But Mendoza is a good but young defensive coach. He will hopefully make adjustments - but it shouldn’t be surprising he has this many injuries.

Look up man down stats and who he has in there - Datz is a phenomenal player - but, as an example, he needs a rest before he ends up like the rest of the d-mids.

I totally agree if Spano has help on the wings - he controls it as he is also a second chance wizard but he needs help- and it isn’t just Datz who can help.

I guess my point is a kid like Henry Reed doesn’t see the field before his senior year - and he has ground out a great senior year as a captain- including a great transition goal against Lynchburg - did he just get good?

I would say no- and dig deeper into the bench all year long. Especially at both the D/O middies positions. Riley for example is actually an O mid, and a good one.

Just my humble opinion.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

LexVegas wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:16 amMendoza is a good but young defensive coach. He will hopefully make adjustments - but it shouldn’t be surprising he has this many injuries.
Mendoza isn’t young anymore. He has been in the coaching business for over a decade, time to figure it out. He does the recruiting there, and he’d be the first to tell you that W&L’s academic reputation recruits for itself (in the country club and boarding school circles).

What this team needs is GRIT, hence all the injuries. Until Mendoza starts actively pulling in kids from some diverse backgrounds, I see them continuing to be plagued by this “injury bug.” He’s a Cortland guy, he should be able to identify scrappy tough blue collar players, and the school’s commitment to bringing in students with a diverse range of backgrounds should help him in the process. Lazy recruiting is to blame for year after year of chronic injuries IMO.

The school easily draws in some of the best talent money can buy (literally), but not an ounce of grit in each class, that’s where his work needs to come in.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”