69%

Total votes: 71

DocBarrister

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:16 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 pm
coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm UVA's high-end talent (Shelly) is superior but after that I think the teams are fairly evenly matched in terms of talent. Hop had 6 All-Americans this year to UVA's 5, and is probably a bit deeper in general (especially at midfield on both sides of the ball). But...they don't have a Shellenberger. Or a Cormier, really, although Degnon is having a great year.
I like Hops defense. I agree on defensive midfield depth. I dont think the offense matches talent, especially athletically. Hopkins lacks dodgers and speed on offense. Hopkins has better outside shooters (Degnon is one of the best, Chauvette will fill that role next year). UVA midfield is deep on offense. They are running guys like Millon out of the box now.
We have plenty of speed (Angelus, Bauer, Ayers). Collison, Peshko, and Grimes can all dodge. The Big Guys don’t have blinding speed, but when they dodge aggressively, they are not easy to handle, especially for teams that are slow to slide. Even Degnon has improved in his sweeps up top and even his alley dodging. He can even score with his right hand!

McDermott and guys like Chauvette can score, too.

There are too many stereotypes left over from the Petro era.

Blue Jays are as talented and athletic as anyone.

DocBarrister
and yet you complain that nobody doges every game. I know this is the Hopkins thread, but its absurd to say Hopkins has equal offensive talent.
Chauvette can score, but he cant dodge. BEat a poos approach, yes. Dodge no.
Everyone can dodge. Best dodge of the season was done by Degnon. He ran into a triple team, lost a shoe, picked up a gb, shot a bullet, and scored.

What I have complained about (and which was addressed to some degree against Lehigh) was watching guys like Collison do nothing against a SSDM except to pass the ball and set picks for guys like Bauer.

The O needs to do it all … dodge aggressively, pass aggressively, and move off-ball aggressively. It’s a motion offense … the ball and everyone on the field need to be moving all the time. The Hopkins O got too static at times.

The athleticism and skill is all there. They just need to take the game to Virginia. They don’t need to worry about a lack of talent and athleticism … they have more than enough.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

so you're saying they should be more aggressive?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:56 pm so you're saying they should be more aggressive?
Yes.

Seems like such an obvious thing … and it is … but it never ceases to amaze me how much aggression has been coached out of the game.

Aggression doesn’t mean bad penalties or careless and reckless play.

It does mean that if Beau F*cking Pederson is guarding you, go dodge hard against him. Denver scored at least two goals off of dodging aggressively against Pederson. One resulted in a direct goal off the dodge. The second resulted from EMO after Pederson committed a penalty on the crease as a Denver player was dodging hard against him.

Some of you may (foolishly) mock this as an obvious thing, but it’s an insidious issue throughout college lacrosse.

Aggressive and dynamic play is a fundamental element of lacrosse. Coaches sometimes need to get out of the way.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Leave it to DocBarrister...dude thinks Hopkins is more talented than UVa. I can literally count the number of top-25 recruits committed to Hopkins over the last 5 years on one (two?) finger. Such a delusional fan.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:12 pm Leave it to DocBarrister...dude thinks Hopkins is more talented than UVa. I can literally count the number of top-25 recruits committed to Hopkins over the last 5 years on one (two?) finger. Such a delusional fan.
I guess, but a lot of those guys are collecting dust on Virginia's bench.

Hop's starting lineup is almost exclusively 4- and 5-stars. Degnon the late bloomber is the big exception.

If there is a talent gap, it's not very big

You can't seem to figure out if you're a huge UVA homer or if you hate them (and Nunes in particular). Seems like it changes every day
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

DocB: "There's not really been anyone to outsize, outmuscle Collison that I've seen."

Collison: 6'3 225

Castner: 6'7 215
Schroter: 6'5 225
Wayer: 6'3 215
Fulton: 6'6 205
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:16 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:12 pm Leave it to DocBarrister...dude thinks Hopkins is more talented than UVa. I can literally count the number of top-25 recruits committed to Hopkins over the last 5 years on one (two?) finger. Such a delusional fan.

Hop's starting lineup is almost exclusively 4- and 5-stars. Degnon the late bloomber is the big exception.

You can't seem to figure out if you're a huge UVA homer or if you hate them (and Nunes in particular). Seems like it changes every day
I'm not arguing Hopkins isn't talented, I'm pointing out that by every available objective measure out there, they are not more talented than UVa. But he's entitled to his subjective opinion.

Technically, you are wrong. That's a cute way of framing it, but the Hopkins starting lineup has one five star. So don'tt exaggerate; I can pull up the IL recruiting database, too. A more honest way of framing it is: Hop starting lineup has at least all four stars.(Actually not entirely sure that is accurate).
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:16 pm

Just because I think our goalie is mid? Nunes has a big enough sample size now to show everyone he's just a pedestrian D1 goalie, nothing special. His ceiling is above average, and his floor is the worst goalie in America. That's a problem. He's mentally suspect. If he's not on, he's a real liability.

There's only one player game in, game out, I'm consistently anxious about F&cking up, and that's Nunes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:18 pm DocB: "There's not really been anyone to outsize, outmuscle Collison that I've seen."

Can you point that quote out to me? I do think the quote is true. Also, I never said Hopkins was more talented. I do think Hopkins is evenly matched in talent with Virginia.

Anyway, Collison is listed as 6ft, 4in, 225 lbs. The way I see it, he matches up in size with everyone else you list.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:08 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:18 pm DocB: "There's not really been anyone to outsize, outmuscle Collison that I've seen."

Can you point that quote out to me? I do think the quote is true. Also, I never said Hopkins was more talented. I do think Hopkins is evenly matched in talent with Virginia.

Anyway, Collison is listed as 6ft, 4in, 225 lbs. The way I see it, he matches up in size with everyone else you list.

DocBarrister
Actually, you didn't say that about Collison, I stand corrected on that one. You played word salad with talent, it was implied by not conceding UVa is more talented. I'm not going to play semantics with you. If Collision is 225, Schroter is 240. ...
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:27 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm UVA's high-end talent (Shelly) is superior but after that I think the teams are fairly evenly matched in terms of talent. Hop had 6 All-Americans this year to UVA's 5, and is probably a bit deeper in general (especially at midfield on both sides of the ball). But...they don't have a Shellenberger. Or a Cormier, really, although Degnon is having a great year.
I like Hops defense. I agree on defensive midfield depth. I dont think the offense matches talent, especially athletically. Hopkins lacks dodgers and speed on offense. Hopkins has better outside shooters (Degnon is one of the best, Chauvette will fill that role next year). UVA midfield is deep on offense. They are running guys like Millon out of the box now.
We have plenty of speed (Angelus, Bauer, Ayers). Collison, Peshko, and Grimes can all dodge. The Big Guys don’t have blinding speed, but when they dodge aggressively, they are not easy to handle, especially for teams that are slow to slide. Even Degnon has improved in his sweeps up top and even his alley dodging. He can even score with his right hand!

DocBarrister
and yet you complain that nobody doges every game. I know this is the Hopkins thread, but its absurd to say Hopkins has equal offensive talent.
Everyone can dodge. Best dodge of the season was done by Degnon. He ran into a triple team, lost a shoe, picked up a gb, shot a bullet, and scored.
What I have complained about (and which was addressed to some degree against Lehigh) was watching guys like Collison do nothing against a SSDM except to pass the ball and set picks for guys like Bauer.

The O needs to do it all … dodge aggressively, pass aggressively, and move off-ball aggressively. It’s a motion offense … the ball and everyone on the field need to be moving all the time. The Hopkins O got too static at times.

The athleticism and skill is all there. They just need to take the game to Virginia. They don’t need to worry about a lack of talent and athleticism … they have more than enough.

DocBarrister
I don’t remember this play, but based on your description this was a bad play by Degnon, he got bailed out by picking up his own turnover, and scoring.. running into a triple team is just poor decision making and bad offense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:05 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
I don’t remember this play, but based on your description this was a bad play by Degnon, he got bailed out by picking up his own turnover, and scoring.. running into a triple team is just poor decision making and bad offense.
it's aggressive.

i do actually think we'll move on from this debate if doc will let us.

and doc, i do believe fanlax wouldn't be the same without you. and that is a compliment.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:29 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
it's aggressive.

and doc, i do believe fanlax wouldn't be the same without you. and that is a compliment.
Thank you. Appreciated.

Triple teams are not all bad. After all, I ran into a triple team of coda, hooz123, and wgdsr and slammed the game-winning goal into the net! :)

Which reminds me of one of the prime examples of how aggression can win a game. Hopkins-Syracuse game in 2002. Syracuse was leading the game 8 to 6 with less than three minutes remaining. Kevin Boland, listed generously at 5‘9“ and 155 pounds, simply decided, “Not today.”

Boland first scored an unassisted goal in a wild and aggressive dodge to the net against several Syracuse defenders. He then dodged again on the next possession, drew multiple defenders, and dished to Bobby Benson for the tying goal. Finally, with less than 90 seconds left, Boland made another wild dodge through (seemingly) the entire Syracuse defense and scored another unassisted goal for the 9-8 win.

Each dodge by Boland was initiated against a longpole from the wing near gle. It made no sense for Boland to dodge those three times with time running out. His middie teammates included Adam Doneger and a freshman Kyle Harrison, both faster, bigger, and more athletic than Boland. However, Boland simply took it upon himself to make three wild dodges in a row into the heart of the Syracuse defense (and those guys were huge and fast).

Trust me … that wasn’t Petro’s plan. No coach would send Kevin Boland on three consecutive wild dodges against multiple Syracuse AA defenders, not with guys like Doneger and Harrison around.

Boland just decided he had had enough and basically slammed a couple of goals and an assist to Benson home and called it a day.

Aggression works.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:31 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
it's aggressive.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Triple teams are not all bad. After all, I ran into a triple team of coda, hooz123, and wgdsr and slammed the game-winning goal into the net! :)

Which reminds me of one of the prime examples of how aggression can win a game. Hopkins-Syracuse game in 2002. Syracuse was leading the game 8 to 6 with less than three minutes remaining. Kevin Boland, listed generously at 5‘9“ and 155 pounds, simply decided, “Not today.”

Boland first scored an unassisted goal in a wild and aggressive dodge to the net against several Syracuse defenders. He then dodged again on the next possession, drew multiple defenders, and dished to Bobby Benson for the tying goal. Finally, with less than 90 seconds left, Boland made another wild dodge through (seemingly) the entire Syracuse defense and scored another unassisted goal for the 9-8 win.

Each dodge by Boland was initiated against a longpole from the wing near gle. It made no sense for Boland to dodge those three times with time running out. His middie teammates included Adam Doneger and a freshman Kyle Harrison, both faster, bigger, and more athletic than Boland. However, Boland simply took it upon himself to make three wild dodges in a row into the heart of the Syracuse defense (and those guys were huge and fast).

Trust me … that wasn’t Petro’s plan. No coach would send Kevin Boland on three consecutive wild dodges against multiple Syracuse AA defenders, not with guys like Doneger and Harrison around.

Boland just decided he had had enough and basically slammed a couple of goals and an assist to Benson home and called it a day.

Aggression works.

DocBarrister
I love you Doc, but this is classic survivor bias BS. You remember uber aggressive moves that worked out, but apparently block out the fact that the vast majority of times someone runs into a triple team its a turnover. Good offense is repeatable. Running into 3 defenders, losing the ball, picking it up, and scoring is not repeatable and should never be used as an example of good lacrosse. It’s dumb luck. If Degnon was tripled, that means there was 5 on 3 off ball. Passing there and scoring would have been good offense. I’ll bet you Crowley isn’t going to call a time out and say, “Garrett, I need you to run into 3 people. Let them knock the ball out of your stick. Pick it up and score” and break the huddle
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:31 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
it's aggressive.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Aggression works.

DocBarrister
I love you Doc, but this is classic survivor bias BS. You remember uber aggressive moves that worked out, but apparently block out the fact that the vast majority of times someone runs into a triple team its a turnover. Good offense is repeatable. Running into 3 defenders, losing the ball, picking it up, and scoring is not repeatable and should never be used as an example of good lacrosse. It’s dumb luck. If Degnon was tripled, that means there was 5 on 3 off ball. Passing there and scoring would have been good offense. I’ll bet you Crowley isn’t going to call a time out and say, “Garrett, I need you to run into 3 people. Let them knock the ball out of your stick. Pick it up and score” and break the huddle
What I have been saying is that you cannot play it safe and win a national championship.

The Blue Jays will need to take risks if they want to win it all. That’s not just true for Hopkins, that’s true for everyone.

Remember that Denver middie who dodged hard against Pederson and then through three other Michigan defenders for the goal?

Like THAT.

Blue Jays needed more aggressive dodging from their big middies against Lehigh, and they got it. Grimes made two aggressive dodges and got two good looks on net. No goals, but we need to see more of that.

If the Blue Jays play it safe, they will lose against Virginia and go home.

Run into triple teams? Yeah, if you have to.

And by the way, the NCAA tournament is about nothing else than survival. Last team standing wins it all. And yeah, champions tend to make memorable plays.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Latest We Want More Vodcast. PM openly states Hopkins needs more goals. He says, “We’re not going to win 10-8.”

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

One final note, and then I need to finish off some veggie burgers.

Aggressive dodging is perfectly attuned to the Hopkins motion offense.

As everyone knows, dodging is a team endeavor. When someone dodges aggressively, teammates have to help out. A couple of them may need to move out of the way and take their defenders with them. Others may need to move aggressively off-ball to be ready for a feed from the dodger.

The same is true when the O is passing and cutting … the goal is to move opposing defenders and to get a teammate in a good position to score.

Until the Lehigh game, the Big Guys weren’t doing enough. Can’t understand how that is controversial.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

JHU really needs to bring there A game and then some to win this game. UVA looked back to themselves last week and that's not a guarantee they will this week but this time of yr they usually come to play. JHU is good and has a great defense but UVA is more talented and has to much on offense for JHU to contain. If JHU don't play a lot better offense they can't run with UVA. This is it for Shelly and Cormier so they will come out guns blazing. If so JHU can't keep up with them. JHU has a good team a very good team but not an elite team and when UVA plays its best it's an elite team. UVA is gonna score around 14 - 16 goals most likely and I don't see JHU being able to put that much up. Their offense hasn't shown it's capable to run with UVA. Forget the regular season contest it means nothing now. UVA is a more talented on offense then Hopkins. How anyone can say that JHU is just as much talented as UVA is ridiculous. I don't care who wins but I did bet and I took UVA because I feel they are the better team. I think it will be a good game early then UVA pulls away in 2nd half. We shall see
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DoubleD wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 pm JHU really needs to bring there A game and then some to win this game. UVA looked back to themselves last week and that's not a guarantee they will this week but this time of yr they usually come to play. JHU is good and has a great defense but UVA is more talented and has to much on offense for JHU to contain. If JHU don't play a lot better offense they can't run with UVA. This is it for Shelly and Cormier so they will come out guns blazing. If so JHU can't keep up with them. JHU has a good team a very good team but not an elite team and when UVA plays its best it's an elite team. UVA is gonna score around 14 - 16 goals most likely and I don't see JHU being able to put that much up. Their offense hasn't shown it's capable to run with UVA. Forget the regular season contest it means nothing now. UVA is a more talented on offense then Hopkins. How anyone can say that JHU is just as much talented as UVA is ridiculous. I don't care who wins but I did bet and I took UVA because I feel they are the better team. I think it will be a good game early then UVA pulls away in 2nd half. We shall see
What if Hopkins stalled its offense until the final 30 seconds of each shot clock and avoided pushing transition and early offense? Furthermore, we can avoid all aggressive dodges.

Will that instill fear in the Cavaliers?

I bet it does.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DoubleD wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 pm JHU really needs to bring there A game and then some to win this game. UVA looked back to themselves last week and that's not a guarantee they will this week but this time of yr they usually come to play. JHU is good and has a great defense but UVA is more talented and has to much on offense for JHU to contain. If JHU don't play a lot better offense they can't run with UVA. This is it for Shelly and Cormier so they will come out guns blazing. If so JHU can't keep up with them. JHU has a good team a very good team but not an elite team and when UVA plays its best it's an elite team. UVA is gonna score around 14 - 16 goals most likely and I don't see JHU being able to put that much up. Their offense hasn't shown it's capable to run with UVA. Forget the regular season contest it means nothing now. UVA is a more talented on offense then Hopkins. How anyone can say that JHU is just as much talented as UVA is ridiculous. I don't care who wins but I did bet and I took UVA because I feel they are the better team. I think it will be a good game early then UVA pulls away in 2nd half. We shall see
I welcome more hubris from UVa..=). Both teams looked putrid (tough to say which looked worse) down the stretch. UVa did not all of a sudden regain elite form.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”