Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:16 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm How are people feeling about matching up with UVA?

This feels to me like the Jays are coming off a complete clunker of a game and UVA seems to have found their stride after a real rough patch.

I’m hopeful but to borrow a Star Wars gag - "I have a bad feeling about this"
I think it's natural to be "worrisome" or concerned vs. a team that has such notable individuals such as Shellenberger/Cormier/Kaestner/Wayer etc. Sometimes the sum of the parts has not been what Hoos fans would hope but it's very hard to beat a good team twice. I do disagree that Sunday was a "clunker" and that UVA has necessarily found their stride - maybe they have - but the chasm between the St. Joe's and Lehigh defensive ability was pretty far and wide in my opinion. I think the some of the keys are:
- Chayse played very well the first time around - 16 saves - has to replicate something similar
- Hopkins was pretty much even in turnovers and failed clears with UVA in the first game
- Hopkins shot the ball well once again - 16/42 - 38%
- Won the ground ball battle - indisputably on the back of the face-off advantage - still - non F/O man gbs was only 33-29 UVA
- Hopkins got worked on EMO - UVA was 3/4

oh - that and harder dodging
Winning
Score goals-13 or more goals Hopkins is 7-1
Get shots on goal-22 or more sog JHU is 10-1
Draw Penalties-9-1 when scoring a man up goal, 6-0 when scoring 2 or more
Get gbs-30 or more and they are 6-1
Limit turnovers-14 or less they are 7-1
cause turnovers-8 or more they are 8-1
avoid the penalty box-3 or less they are 6-1
win the faceoff battle-when they win it they are 5-1
Limit scoring by opponent-hold to under 10 goals they are 7-0
effective chase-when he's under 520 they are 1-3
Limit shots faced-when chase faces under 45 shots they are 11-1
Limit emo goals surrendered-6-1 when opponent gets 1 or fewer

Statistically
Chase made his most saves on the year against uva
they had the most gbs vs any opponent agaist uva
and had their most points/goals/assists
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Interview with Matt Collison around the 20 min mark
https://www.youtube.com/live/b_w6ODvMgM ... oX4DU4Ryge
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:16 pm Interview with Matt Collison around the 20 min mark
https://www.youtube.com/live/b_w6ODvMgM ... oX4DU4Ryge
Good interview with Collison. The team sounds confident and Collison’s focus is the correct one … extend time with his teammates and send his seniors off happy with a win.

Thanks for posting.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Welcome to Episode 2 of the Mitchell Pehlke Lacrosse Show presented by STX.

In this episode, Pehlke and Co. react to the NCAA Tournament first-round results, look ahead to the quarterfinals and discuss some undrafted pickups in the PLL. Stick around for interviews with Johns Hopkins attackman Jacob Angelus and Texas (MCLA) midfielder Sterling Hupp, who was recently claimed by the Boston Cannons.

Intro (00:00)
NCAA Tournament Reaction (1:29)
NCAA Quarterfinals Preview (31:00)
Pick 'Em (35:50)
Jacob Angelus Interview (39:20)

https://youtu.be/LEdp3mn-haw?si=5LpjtZXHvmaAMC6h
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

The original QK and Dave Cottle discuss the Quarterfinal matchups.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... sh-e2jmhaa
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ty Xanders @tyxanders @BrownU_MLAX’s HC vacancy has been narrowed to four candidates, according to multiple sources. All four have been head coaches at some point.

If Xanders is right JK is not a candidate there.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:54 pm Ty Xanders @tyxanders @BrownU_MLAX’s HC vacancy has been narrowed to four candidates, according to multiple sources. All four have been head coaches at some point.

Bobby Benson, Petro, Starsia, and Desko!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:54 pm Ty Xanders @tyxanders @BrownU_MLAX’s HC vacancy has been narrowed to four candidates, according to multiple sources. All four have been head coaches at some point.

I have to think it's petro or cassese. benson maybe due to proximity too.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

norcalhop wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:00 pm

Assume Cassese is one; you would think he only took OC position at UVa in order to get visibility into a coaching gig in a major lacrosse conference. Will be interesting to see if Jon Thompson is also under consideration. Brown alum who was let go at Amherst under controversial circumstances.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:41 pm

Assume Cassese is one; you would think he only took OC position at UVa in order to get visibility into a coaching gig in a major lacrosse conference. Will be interesting to see if Jon Thompson is also under consideration. Brown alum who was let go at Amherst under controversial circumstances.
i dunno. speculation, but the duke job is what guys that might have the chops are lining up. danowski can't coach forever, and then what? cassese, caputo or chemotti. some will revolve around timing, but that's the list. me, i doubt risking a record on a brown rebuild fits. cassese probably has traded in the "interview for everything" for a stand on the lehigh record, at least as far as h.c. record.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:17 am

i dunno. speculation, but the duke job is what guys that might have the chops are lining up. danowski can't coach forever, and then what? cassese, caputo or chemotti. some will revolve around timing, but that's the list. me, i doubt risking a record on a brown rebuild fits. cassese probably has traded in the "interview for everything" for a stand on the lehigh record, at least as far as h.c. record.
Why wouldn't duke just go with younger danowski? He seems to be groomed.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... ob-angelus

another deep long look at angelus from LM.
CharlesS

Post by CharlesS »

norcalhop wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:07 pm

According to many, he is the most insufferable person in lacrosse.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

CharlesS wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:07 pm
norcalhop wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:07 pm

According to many, he is the most insufferable person in lacrosse.
Wow, that is surprising. I wonder if this view is shared by those in the duke community too.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nals/63437

This was interesting to read on hopkins. Note they didn't get much on the hopkins offense.
lacrosseculturedaily

Post by lacrosseculturedaily »

Real-time updates for the game today:
https://lacrosseculturedaily.com/2024/0 ... s-hopkins/
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Great, we have Quaint calling this game. Where is Ryan Boyle. Get these cucks off the air.

Not a hold, as the virginia player teabags collision. STFU Quaint.
Last edited by norcalhop on Sun May 19, 2024 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

strong ride with 4 guys collapsing leads to an extra possession, penalty and tiffany calls timeout to get his d a break. nice.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

awesome for melendez
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a couple of brutal mcdermott turnovers and callahan not getting any help on faceoffs are all that's keeping this game close. an excellent effort. They're also struggling a bit with communication on defense.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”