Hopkins
31%
Virginia
69%

Total votes: 71

coda

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:39 am Hopkins faces a tough task in trying to beat a more talented team twice in the same year. I like the depth Hopkins has at both offensive and defensive midfield and worry about UVA’s lack thereof. Any team that can beat UVA at Klockner certainly can do the same up here, but I expect UVA to win by something like 16-12.
This is a match-up of conflicting styles. UVA is top 10 in pace and Hopkins is one of the slowest teams in the nation. UVa wants this to be a track meet. Hopkins wants this to be 6 v 6 game. Hopkins needs to play their game. Limit UVa fastbreaks and total possessions. If UVa controls the speed of the game, I can not see a way for Hopkins to win.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:56 am
molo wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:39 am Hopkins faces a tough task in trying to beat a more talented team twice in the same year. I like the depth Hopkins has at both offensive and defensive midfield and worry about UVA’s lack thereof. Any team that can beat UVA at Klockner certainly can do the same up here, but I expect UVA to win by something like 16-12.
This is a match-up of conflicting styles. UVA is top 10 in pace and Hopkins is one of the slowest teams in the nation. UVa wants this to be a track meet. Hopkins wants this to be 6 v 6 game. Hopkins needs to play their game. Limit UVa fastbreaks and total possessions. If UVa controls the speed of the game, I can not see a way for Hopkins to win.
Hopkins has struggled for weeks, especially offensively. Other than switching ayers (who like his fellow freshman chauvette has seemed to defer a lot to an offense filled with guys playing their 4th/5th/and in degnons case 6th seasons for Hopkins) for melendez (who has had an awful enigmatic season) PM has shown no interest in doing anything to change the offense. In contrast he's been willing to switch up the faceoff guys early usually if the starter wins 1/6. If UVA starts strong at the faceoff unit and gets a lot of offensive possessions they can put this away early because it will enable them to get to the third hopkins ssdm unit of ince/arteaga (who has been brutal) and see martin's younger brother at lsm who has also really struggled. Martin, the best Hopkins ssdm in years, FWIW has been banged up for weeks. Even if Hopkins takes a lead as it did against Michigan with a torrid 6-1 start, it has shown it does not generate the goals in transition or have the high level offensive firepower to run away from teams.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 am Hopkins has struggled for weeks, especially offensively.
"Especially" offensively? It's pretty much exclusively offensively. The defense hasn't given up more than 10 goals in almost two months, and has only done so once in their last eight games (the 15-11 regular season win over Michigan). And that's with a possession deficit in most games. The defense and goaltending have been consistently good, even as the offense has fizzled.

Having said that — Virginia is probably going to score more than 10. Notre Dame is the only team to hold them to less than 10. But they're going to have a harder time scoring than they did against St. Joe's.
coda

Post by coda »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:02 am
Hopkins has struggled for weeks, especially offensively. Other than switching ayers (who like his fellow freshman chauvette has seemed to defer a lot to an offense filled with guys playing their 4th/5th/and in degnons case 6th seasons for Hopkins) for melendez (who has had an awful enigmatic season) PM has shown no interest in doing anything to change the offense. In contrast he's been willing to switch up the faceoff guys early usually if the starter wins 1/6. If UVA starts strong at the faceoff unit and gets a lot of offensive possessions they can put this away early because it will enable them to get to the third hopkins ssdm unit of ince/arteaga (who has been brutal) and see martin's younger brother at lsm who has also really struggled. Martin, the best Hopkins ssdm in years, FWIW has been banged up for weeks. Even if Hopkins takes a lead as it did against Michigan with a torrid 6-1 start, it has shown it does not generate the goals in transition or have the high level offensive firepower to run away from teams.
Agree, but I like Hopkins chances more if it is 20 possessions vs 40 possessions a team. Controlling the middle of the field is huge for Hopkins. I would replicate the GT game plan vs ND. Stop the transition game from Virginia. Take your time on offense. UVA strength on defense is 1 on 1 defense from the poles, I dont see the attack dominating match-ups. Try to get guys like Collison on a shortie to initiate. I would run that clock down to like 30 seconds before really getting into the offense. You cant afford to have early turnovers. A shot clock violation is not hte worst thing that could happen. I am going on the assumption Hopkins is going to be asking a lot from their defense. You have to play complimentary lacrosse and make sure you dont empty the tank on defense too early, protect them when you can.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:19 am
Agree, but I like Hopkins chances more if it is 20 possessions vs 40 possessions a team. Controlling the middle of the field is huge for Hopkins. I would replicate the GT game plan vs ND. Stop the transition game from Virginia. Take your time on offense. UVA strength on defense is 1 on 1 defense from the poles, I dont see the attack dominating match-ups. Try to get guys like Collison on a shortie to initiate. I would run that clock down to like 30 seconds before really getting into the offense. You cant afford to have early turnovers. A shot clock violation is not hte worst thing that could happen. I am going on the assumption Hopkins is going to be asking a lot from their defense. You have to play complimentary lacrosse and make sure you dont empty the tank on defense too early, protect them when you can.
Playing it safe like that will lead to a big Virginia victory.

You can’t stall the ball until the final 30 seconds and not eventually stall the entire offense.

Blue Jays need to be dynamic everywhere. Yes, Collison, Grimes, and Peshko need to dodge aggressively, but so does everyone else. Aggressive ball movement and off-ball movement is necessary, too. And yes, when transition offense or early offense is available, they should go.

Doesn’t mean you don’t settle into a deliberate offense after a long defensive effort. Doesn’t mean you engage in one long back and forth with Virginia.

But the Blue Jays need to stay dynamic on offense. Always aggressive, always applying pressure, always dynamic with passes and off-ball movement.

Play a defensive style of game like you describe and I think Virginia wins big.

No one wins a national championship by playing it safe.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:16 pm

You can’t stall the ball until the final 30 seconds and not eventually stall the entire offense.

Blue Jays need to be dynamic everywhere. Yes, Collison, Grimes, and Peshko need to dodge aggressively, but so does everyone else. Aggressive ball movement and off-ball movement is necessary, too. And yes, when transition offense or early offense is available, they should go.

Doesn’t mean you don’t settle into a deliberate offense after a long defensive effort. Doesn’t mean you engage in one long back and forth with Virginia.

But the Blue Jays need to stay dynamic on offense. Always aggressive, always applying pressure, always dynamic with passes and off-ball movement.

DocBarrister
If Hopkins could always be dynamic on offense, they wouldnt have 4 losses with that defense. You might as well set your sites on sleeping with super models.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:08 am I'm frankly not sold on Hopkins, they are not a great team. On paper, I think we match up well with them and our style plays well against what they want to run. Peshko won't have the best game of his career again this weekend, and we won't waste a pole on Braun. Nunes really has to see the ball early. He's streaky. He really needs a good start or else it takes him a quarter or two to really get into the game and out of his head.
Hopkins needs either a bad Nunes start or a 4th quarter meltdown from Virginia to win. Both are possible, if not likely. Were I betting, I'd like the Hoos at the current -210.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:20 pm

DocBarrister
If Hopkins could always be dynamic on offense, they wouldnt have 4 losses with that defense. You might as well set your sites on sleeping with super models.
The D has done a great job. The best D in college lacrosse in my book.

This Hopkins offense needs to stay in a “rhythm” more than most. They do better with more possessions.

Wait to play real offense until the final 30 seconds and I think the O will eventually stall out.

Give the O the green light. Tell them to take the game to Virginia, as they did the first time around.

It’s the NCAA tournament. Time to ask your team to ramp up their game even more. There is no next game to save your efforts for.

I think they have the talent and personnel to play with, and beat, anyone. Time to play like it.

F*ck Tulip Ball.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:39 pm

DocBarrister

This Hopkins offense needs to stay in a “rhythm” more than most. They do better with more possessions.

Wait to play real offense until the final 30 seconds and I think the O will eventually stall out.

Give the O the green light. Tell them to take the game to Virginia, as they did the first time around.

It’s the NCAA tournament. Time to ask your team to ramp up their game even more. There is no next game to save your efforts for.

I think they have the talent and personnel to play with, and beat, anyone. Time to play like it.

F*ck Tulip Ball.

DocBarrister
Virginia is more talented. The more possessions favors the more talented team. This isnt about bravado. Its about playing to your strengths and Virginia's weakness. Everything can not be boiled down to "dodge aggressively"
Finster

Post by Finster »

DocBarrister

I’ve slept with a model. Not a supermodel but a fairly well paid model. How do we factor that in your calculus? ;)
StephenBaldwin

Post by StephenBaldwin »

Finster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:49 pm

DocBarrister

I’ve slept with a model. Not a supermodel but a fairly well paid model. How do we factor that in your calculus? ;)
What was his name?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:37 am
coda wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:30 pm
coda wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:28 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:19 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am Bit of a deeper dive on the faceoffs issue. When the teams played during the regular season, JHU had a 20-14 advantage against a Virginia team missing its top 2024 FOGO, Anthony Ghobriel. Last year, when Ghobriel was playing for Navy, he did well but didn't dominate against Hop FOGOs Callahan and Dunn; he was 3-0 vs. Callahan and 8-7 vs. Dunn. Things don't always translate when a FOGO was playing for a prior team (wing play, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see JHU's Dunn get the majority of the reps, at least to start, against Ghobriel. And I'd expect faceoffs to be closer to evenly split or perhaps a slight UVA advantage this time around.

If so, Ierlan will need to be extra sharp in goal for JHU to mitigate the additional possessions UVA may get this time around.
game was even thru 3 quarters when hop had the fo advantage. jhu controlled the 4th once that advantage disappeared. game may turn on faceoffs this time, but uva will need to play better. other than harvard, 4th quarters haven't been their bag.
Hopkins has shown with the aggressiveness of its defense (something Doc B spent almost a decade here pleading with Petro to do more of) it can generate extra possessions even if it loses the faceoff battle. The problem has been what it does when it gets those possessions and the lack of consistent scoring which puts more pressure on the defense. Melendez has been a non factor for most of the season and it's been almost impossible to know quarter to quarter if anyone other than Degnon and Angelus are going to give the offense anything.
quoting doc b on any strategery isn't going to prop up a viable angle for anything. you named the 3 attackmen, and i understand melendez hasn't broken out. there isn't a middie in the country that provides quarter to quarter offense, 1st team all americans have 40 points. hopkins, overall, has decided not to hunt goals. their preference is patience. the jays put up 16 last time they saw uva. my guess is they'd take that again, so the hoos best do a better job of handling hopkins' inconsistent offense.
This is probably the right strategy vs Virginia. I cant see Hopkins winning this game, if it is a track meet. Quite honestly, the Virginia's poles are very good in 1 on 1 situations. They can get caught ball watching and being overly aggressive. You beat the UVa defense with ball movement and attacking the SSDMs. Hopkins middies feasted in the last game.
I am not sure Virginia believed that Hop's middies would have had such an outsized impact in their regular season game. It's true, "they feasted" and there was 2nd guessing, after the fact, whether Virginia had the correct matchups. They obviously didn't make the proper adjustments in game. Barring St Joe's, Virginia has been on a streak of poor play matched against the best teams in the Country in their own conference. It will be interesting to see how they come out to play HOP. If they are on, they can beat anyone, but they also have underperformed to their talent in some late season games.
Will be interesting. I would think about putting someone like Wayer on Collison. Give him a pole with some size
There's not really been anyone to outsize, outmuscle Collison that I've seen.
Even if Wayer is that guy, Collison can always just play two-way with Peshko and/or Degnon.
Aren’t all of UVAs poles 7 feet tall?
Finster

Post by Finster »

StephenBaldwin wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 pm

DocBarrister

What was his name?

You got me. Ok ok. His name?

Stephen Baldwin
StephenBaldwin

Post by StephenBaldwin »

Finster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:47 pm
StephenBaldwin wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 pm

DocBarrister

What was his name?

You got me. Ok ok. His name?

Stephen Baldwin
I miss us
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:42 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:39 pm

DocBarrister

F*ck Tulip Ball.

DocBarrister
Virginia is more talented. The more possessions favors the more talented team. This isnt about bravado. Its about playing to your strengths and Virginia's weakness. Everything can not be boiled down to "dodge aggressively"
I wouldn’t concede that point on talent. Certainly not on D.

Not even on O. Sure, we don’t have anyone like Shellenberger or Cormier (and that’s certainly no small thing), but we have more offensive players who have scored at least ten goals (8 versus 6).

I think the two teams are closely matched on talent, skill, and athleticism.

Would not concede that point … at all.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

UVA's high-end talent (Shelly) is superior but after that I think the teams are fairly evenly matched in terms of talent. Hop had 6 All-Americans this year to UVA's 5, and is probably a bit deeper in general (especially at midfield on both sides of the ball). But...they don't have a Shellenberger. Or a Cormier, really, although Degnon is having a great year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm UVA's high-end talent (Shelly) is superior but after that I think the teams are fairly evenly matched in terms of talent. Hop had 6 All-Americans this year to UVA's 5, and is probably a bit deeper in general (especially at midfield on both sides of the ball). But...they don't have a Shellenberger. Or a Cormier, really, although Degnon is having a great year.
I agree. Frankly, I think we have more consistency in goal and better depth on defense. I think our close D is as good as anyone.

On offense, I think we have a greater variety of shooters and more depth, especially on our second midfield line.

Yes, no Shellenberger or Cormier, but Angelus, Degnon, and Collison aren’t exactly chopped liver.

This game could very well turn on who can pick up gbs, complete the clears, and make the clean saves. I think the Blue Jays can hold their own in all those areas.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm UVA's high-end talent (Shelly) is superior but after that I think the teams are fairly evenly matched in terms of talent. Hop had 6 All-Americans this year to UVA's 5, and is probably a bit deeper in general (especially at midfield on both sides of the ball). But...they don't have a Shellenberger. Or a Cormier, really, although Degnon is having a great year.
I like Hops defense. I agree on defensive midfield depth. I dont think the offense matches talent, especially athletically. Hopkins lacks dodgers and speed on offense. Hopkins has better outside shooters (Degnon is one of the best, Chauvette will fill that role next year). UVA midfield is deep on offense. They are running guys like Millon out of the box now. To be honest Virginia has as much talent as any team in the nation, their issues tend to be more about cohesion and IQ, than talent.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:05 pm
I like Hops defense. I agree on defensive midfield depth. I dont think the offense matches talent, especially athletically. Hopkins lacks dodgers and speed on offense. Hopkins has better outside shooters (Degnon is one of the best, Chauvette will fill that role next year). UVA midfield is deep on offense. They are running guys like Millon out of the box now.
We have plenty of speed (Angelus, Bauer, Ayers). Collison, Peshko, and Grimes can all dodge. The Big Guys don’t have blinding speed, but when they dodge aggressively, they are not easy to handle, especially for teams that are slow to slide. Even Degnon has improved in his sweeps up top and even his alley dodging. He can even score with his right hand!

McDermott and guys like Chauvette can score, too.

There are too many stereotypes left over from the Petro era.

Blue Jays are as talented and athletic as anyone.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 pm
coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:05 pm
I like Hops defense. I agree on defensive midfield depth. I dont think the offense matches talent, especially athletically. Hopkins lacks dodgers and speed on offense. Hopkins has better outside shooters (Degnon is one of the best, Chauvette will fill that role next year). UVA midfield is deep on offense. They are running guys like Millon out of the box now.
We have plenty of speed (Angelus, Bauer, Ayers). Collison, Peshko, and Grimes can all dodge. The Big Guys don’t have blinding speed, but when they dodge aggressively, they are not easy to handle, especially for teams that are slow to slide. Even Degnon has improved in his sweeps up top and even his alley dodging. He can even score with his right hand!

McDermott and guys like Chauvette can score, too.

There are too many stereotypes left over from the Petro era.

Blue Jays are as talented and athletic as anyone.

DocBarrister
and yet you complain that nobody doges every game. I know this is the Hopkins thread, but its absurd to say Hopkins has equal offensive talent.
Chauvette can score, but he cant dodge. BEat a poos approach, yes. Dodge no.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”