Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Brown 2024

Post by The Orfling »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:41 am Have no idea of reliability, but @College_Crosse is posting these names as the four candidates:

Princeton OC Jim Mitchell
North Carolina OC Jon Thompson
High Point HC Jon Torpey
Notre Dame OC Chris Wojcik

All have prior HC experience and ties to the Ivy League. Some have ties to Brown.

DocBarrister
Really interesting list; assuming those names are accurate, I think that shows a good search process. I would personally be most interested in #1 (Princeton OC) if he's their recruiting guy and #3 (HPU HC) below. (But I'm not an Athletic Director, I'm just your standard internet lacrosse rando!)

1. Princeton OC: Has overseen a successful high-powered offense -- and maybe he's been the lead guy in their recruiting in recent years which has brought bucketfuls of talent to Princeton? If he's been the lead recruiter for the Tigers that would add some luster to the candidacy.

2. UNC OC: Alum with a near legendary amount of DIII success who was hard done by at that DIII school; has now had four years of coordinator gigs in Division I. Strong recruiter. Wondering if the fact that the biggest success was in DIII, after the recent "DIII legend" coach at Brown was not felt to fully pan out, is a bigger obstacle than the circumstances of exit from the DIII school. If he's one of the four, then they are comfortable looking beyond what is a very surface-level comparison.

3. High Point HC: Has built a program from the ground up since 2017 and has had very good success. Seems to be a strong recruiter; sure, the pool might be narrower at an Ivy given academic requirements but Brown is a stronger draw than HPU as well, and the Brown athletic admin seems willing to support the program with transfers/admission slots etc.

4. Notre Dame OC: Has prior Ivy coaching experience, has done well (with scads and scads of talent) at the defending national champion. Probably also a good recruiter given some of the talent he was able to attract while at Harvard. But was not seen overall as a tremendously successful Ivy HC.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

As to HP, can someone explain his ties to the IL?
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

As to HP, can someone explain his ties to the IL?
Spent a few years on staff at Dartmouth.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:36 am [
The short bio of Mitchell I saw on the Princeton website doesn't have any obvious connection to the Bears. Same for Wojcik.
Maybe a bit of a stretch, but Wojcik was a two-sport standout at the same HS (Westfield NJ) as Aidan and Devon McLane...
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Seeing Wojcik on this list surprises me. It already didn’t work at an Ivy League school.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JerrysWorld wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 am Seeing Wojcik on this list surprises me. It already didn’t work at an Ivy League school.
Think the idea is that Wojcik has learned something at Notre Dame under Corrigan and could put that to use in a second HC gig.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 am
JerrysWorld wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 am Seeing Wojcik on this list surprises me. It already didn’t work at an Ivy League school.
Think the idea is that Wojcik has learned something at Notre Dame under Corrigan and could put that to use in a second HC gig.

DocBarrister
Somewhere earlier in this thread someone speculated that Ryan Wellner was a candidate. Is it possible that we're talking about the wrong ND assistant?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

If it is a ND assistant the odds are we won't know till after Memorial Day.
I hope the decision comes soon so I can go back to complaining about how cold the stadium is with the new building blocking the sun. ;)
And talking about how unproven incoming freshmen are the saviors of the program. ;) ;)
SouthManchurianRR

Post by SouthManchurianRR »

sguy9 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:52 pm
Jon Thompson has the resume - he is groomed for HC. Query - does he have the charisma to recruit and be a head coach? I guess people that know him or have coached with or played for him would know
Absolutely. That is his super power, along with his knowledge and ability to coach the game.
Super Power’s cork is in a little too tight in my estimation.
Good recruiter, average X’s and O’s.

As for his prior firing, you own your players, like it or not.
coda

Post by coda »

BrownDad wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:26 am

DocBarrister
Somewhere earlier in this thread someone speculated that Ryan Wellner was a candidate. Is it possible that we're talking about the wrong ND assistant?
Someone I talked to said Wojcik was the most impactful coach for ND NC run. Defense has never been an issue at ND.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:09 pm

DocBarrister
Someone I talked to said Wojcik was the most impactful coach for ND NC run. Defense has never been an issue at ND.
Per ND's website Wellner is the D coach and head of recruiting.
coda

Post by coda »

BrownDad wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:23 pm
coda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:09 pm

DocBarrister
Per ND's website Wellner is the D coach and head of recruiting.
Correct. Name a DC at ND that did not have a great defense. Perhaps, that is has something to do with Corrigan. ND has not always had great offense though.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Coaching tree is a term for a reason. Winning begets winning and winning HCs have assistant coaches who have seen nattys first hand. Doesnt always pan out but I have to think ND assistant(s) are one of the final choices (as stated above). That said jon thompson seems like a terrific candidate and it is easy to say you own your recruits but that is not true (assuming) the kid didnt have some negative mark in his past that would lead you to know the coach takes problem players.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:36 am
middleAgedBear wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:03 am Wojcik makes me nervous given his record at Harvard...didn't do much w/lots of top recruiting classes...
Agreed. At a place like Harvard, it's even difficult to know how much credit to give the coaches for the (Inside Lacrosse anointed) top recruits: it's Harvard.

Thompson's D1 experience is this year at UNC and at Brown in the late Nelson/early Lars years.

Torpey' Brown connection is as an AC under Munro at Denver. Odds good JM had input if Torpey is really being considered. Or maybe Torpey contacted Brown.

The short bio of Mitchell I saw on the Princeton website doesn't have any obvious connection to the Bears. Same for Wojcik.
Wojcik and Mitchell were both on Jamie Munro’s podcast last fall and he was pretty effusive in his praise for both of them. Seems like he’s a big voice in the selection committee.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I haven’t said a word for ten years. Jon Thompson. Middle class grinder from Maine who shows up for the big fights. If a Brown player has their jersey on an office or den wall, his parents did that out of love for the school that gave him a chance. Talk to you all in ten.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

BigTom5 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:13 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:36 am
middleAgedBear wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:03 am Wojcik makes me nervous given his record at Harvard...didn't do much w/lots of top recruiting classes...
Agreed. At a place like Harvard, it's even difficult to know how much credit to give the coaches for the (Inside Lacrosse anointed) top recruits: it's Harvard.

Thompson's D1 experience is this year at UNC and at Brown in the late Nelson/early Lars years.

Torpey' Brown connection is as an AC under Munro at Denver. Odds good JM had input if Torpey is really being considered. Or maybe Torpey contacted Brown.

Wojcik and Mitchell were both on Jamie Munro’s podcast last fall and he was pretty effusive in his praise for both of them. Seems like he’s a big voice in the selection committee.
There is no selection committee. AD made that very clear in her call with the alumni.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Trinity wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:17 pm I haven’t said a word for ten years. Jon Thompson. Middle class grinder from Maine who shows up for the big fights. If a Brown player has their jersey on an office or den wall, his parents did that out of love for the school that gave him a chance. Talk to you all in ten.
First post in four years, I think. Welcome back!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

If Torpey wants this job, he'd be my top choice. Great player at OSU (3x Captain) and has done an incredible job of putting High Point on the map. Has been at Dartmouth and Denver. Sure, he may like the OSU job if/when it opens up, but this would be a home run hire for Brown. Players absolutely love him. Love him. He will bring great assistants in and Brown will be back to prominence within 2-3 years, I truly believe. He has always gotten a ton out of his players and has loved recruiting the diamonds in the rough.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

SouthManchurianRR wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:03 pm
sguy9 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:52 pm
Jon Thompson has the resume - he is groomed for HC. Query - does he have the charisma to recruit and be a head coach? I guess people that know him or have coached with or played for him would know
Absolutely. That is his super power, along with his knowledge and ability to coach the game.
Super Power’s cork is in a little too tight in my estimation.
Good recruiter, average X’s and O’s.

As for his prior firing, you own your players, like it or not.
Way to come out strong in your first post ever on Fan Lax. :lol: :lol:
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Does anyone have a link to what the allegations were against jon thompson? Or any specificity?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”