NCAA Playoff/ Championship Attendance

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

NCAA Playoff/ Championship Attendance

Post by faircornell »

This weekend will feature four games with some of the most storied programs in the sport. Both venues are squarely located in longstanding "hotbed" locations. Both the Hofstra stadium in Hempstead and the Towson stadium hold approximately 11,000 people. I wonder if they might be sold out, or close to sold out. Certainly great lacrosse games are on the schedules.
DocBarrister

Re: NCAA Playoff/ Championship Attendance

Post by DocBarrister »

faircornell wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:59 pm This weekend will feature four games with some of the most storied programs in the sport. Both venues are squarely located in longstanding "hotbed" locations. Both the Hofstra stadium in Hempstead and the Towson stadium hold approximately 11,000 people. I wonder if they might be sold out, or close to sold out. Certainly great lacrosse games are on the schedules.
I am confident that ESPN is rooting for ND, MD, Hopkins, and Syracuse to reach the Final Four. That would likely set attendance and ratings records.

The nightmare for ESPN would be a GT, Duke, UVA, Denver Final. :?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I've got some attendance figures from last year,

Tournament Quarterfinals
Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Notre Dame 4 3 3 2 12
Johns Hopkins (12-6) 3 1 2 3 9
Location: Annapolis, Md. (Navy-Marine Corps Stadium) – 5/21/2023
Attendance: 13,354

Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Penn State 4 3 2 1 10
Army 2 1 3 3 9

Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Virginia 7 3 5 2 17
Georgetown (13–4) 4 5 2 3 14
Location: Albany, N.Y. (Casey Stadium University at Albany, SUNY) – 5/20/2023
Attendance: 4,224

Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Duke 2 5 4 4 15
Michigan (10–7) 2 2 2 2 8
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Location, location, location 8-)

Oh, and two games for the price of one always helps.
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:56 am Location, location, location 8-)

Oh, and two games for the price of one always helps.

You can add weather, weather, and weather to that as well.

Baltimore unfortunately looks wet, Long Island overcast but dry. I really feel this spring has been awful so far as weather.

If it was sunny, both places no doubt would be sold out. As it is, I believe Hofstra is already sold out or very close to it. The hardest part about Long Island is the lack of good to great hotels. Brutal.

I’ll be there for 1.5 games.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:59 pm This weekend will feature four games with some of the most storied programs in the sport. Both venues are squarely located in longstanding "hotbed" locations. Both the Hofstra stadium in Hempstead and the Towson stadium hold approximately 11,000 people. I wonder if they might be sold out, or close to sold out. Certainly great lacrosse games are on the schedules.
I am confident that ESPN is rooting for ND, MD, Hopkins, and Syracuse to reach the Final Four. That would likely set attendance and ratings records.

DocBarrister

Yup.

The four programs you mentioned, Hopkins, Maryland, Syracuse, and Notre Dame, have a fan base that travels. In Notre Dame’s case, it’s more that there just seem to be tons of people who naturally cheer for that school’s teams everywhere no matter the sport.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 pm

DocBarrister
The tournament has not seen attendance reach the 50,000 level since 2007-08. It's been about 30,000 for the semis for about 10-15 years now. I could be wrong, but I doubt we see attendance levels above 35,000 no matter who plays.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I'll be attending Semi-final day - that is about what I'm expecting - roughly same numbers as last year.

Prices look they are up though - that may have an impact.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m taking son as a Xmas gift but for now. He asked me if they ever have any pickup games around the stadium. I told him he could “pick up those expensive tickets I bought for him and hand them to the person at the entrance.

I bought championship game tickets a while back and they were cheaper for better seats than I got for the semis when buying a few days ago.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:14 am I’m taking son as a Xmas gift but for now. He asked me if they ever have any pickup games around the stadium. I told him he could “pick up those expensive tickets I bought for him and hand them to the person at the entrance.

I bought championship game tickets a while back and they were cheaper for better seats than I got for the semis when buying a few days ago.
lots of pickup games when it's at m&t near the stadium. the linc, 10stone can probably advise, the lots aren't as homey. getting a twig on carry on might mean a fiddle stick, and those are generally the best sticks for the pickup games anyway.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:32 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:14 am I’m taking son as a Xmas gift but for now. He asked me if they ever have any pickup games around the stadium. I told him he could “pick up those expensive tickets I bought for him and hand them to the person at the entrance.

lots of pickup games when it's at m&t near the stadium. the linc, 10stone can probably advise, the lots aren't as homey. getting a twig on carry on might mean a fiddle stick, and those are generally the best sticks for the pickup games anyway.
We’re flying up sunless I bought him something up there probably not gonna have a stick. But maybe. Bigger question is will the Ben Franklin science museum be a shitshow on Sunday?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:52 am I've got some attendance figures from last year,

Tournament Quarterfinals
Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Notre Dame 4 3 3 2 12
Johns Hopkins (12-6) 3 1 2 3 9

Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Penn State 4 3 2 1 10
Army 2 1 3 3 9

Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Virginia 7 3 5 2 17
Georgetown (13–4) 4 5 2 3 14
Location: Albany, N.Y. (Casey Stadium University at Albany, SUNY) – 5/20/2023

Team 1 2 3 4 Total
Duke 2 5 4 4 15
Michigan (10–7) 2 2 2 2 8
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I'll be at the Shuart with youngest son and youngest granddaughter.

Chairback seats are sold out.
General admission concrete bench seats are still available as is parking.

Parking is $20 before game and $30 on gameday at stadium.
The parent, not the coach.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Jim Malone wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:06 pm I'll be at the Shuart with youngest son and youngest granddaughter.

Chairback seats are sold out.
General admission concrete bench seats are still available as is parking.

Parking is $20 before game and $30 on gameday at stadium.

We'll be there! Can't wait.

I'll be pulling for the underdogs, Maryland and Georgetown.

ND is basically Chaminade West. Duke is St Anthony's South.

I'll be in the distinct minority, I suspect, pulling for MD and GT. Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Heading to MIAA championship tonight then quarterfinals @Towson on Sunday
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Planning on going Sunday to Towson. Anyone recall if you need to purchase a parking lot pass as well....I seem to recall most of the parking was free over the years?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:01 am Planning on going Sunday to Towson. Anyone recall if you need to purchase a parking lot pass as well....I seem to recall most of the parking was free over the years?
If you want to park in one of the lots, you'll have to pay. Lot 5 was $20 and Lot 8 was $30 when I got tickets yesterday. Not sure how much the garages around cost
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Lax Mouse wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:01 am Planning on going Sunday to Towson. Anyone recall if you need to purchase a parking lot pass as well....I seem to recall most of the parking was free over the years?
If you want to park in one of the lots, you'll have to pay. Lot 5 was $20 and Lot 8 was $30 when I got tickets yesterday. Not sure how much the garages around cost
Thank you
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

9K attendance although looked like more on TV. Either way great atmosphere am sure and wish I could have gone, but had a wedding to attend.
Finster

Post by Finster »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:57 am 9K attendance although looked like more on TV. Either way great atmosphere am sure and wish I could have gone, but had a wedding to attend.

Seemed like a sellout. The entire Maryland fan base was in the parking lot for the first game. Had they come inside, I don’t think there’d have been many open seats.

Once you figure out the parking, Hofstra is a great venue for quarterfinals if for no other reason that so many local kids play the sport and they show up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”