PLL 2024

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
Lax Mouse

Re: PLL 2024

Post by Lax Mouse »

Post-draft waiver claims are starting to come in.

*edited to include the Atlas and Archers moves made Saturday

Here's what we have so far:

Boston Cannons
Mike Robinson - A - Delaware
Andrew Cook - M - CNU (DII)
Sterling Hupp - M - Texas (MCLA)
Carter Parlette - SSDM - Notre Dame

Scott Smith was moved to the holdout list
Jonathan Donville was added to the PUP list

California Redwoods
Jake Naso - FO - Duke
Chase Yager - SSDM - UVA
Chris Conlin - D - Notre Dame
Patrick Morrison - D - Boston U.
Matt Knote - G - UMASS

Cole Kastner and Ricky Miezan were both added to the holdout list

Carolina Chaos
Brayden Mayea - A - High Point
Roy Meyer - LSM - Boston U.
Jack Posey - D - Penn St.

Johnny Surdick was placed on the military list
Dylan Hess was added to the holdout list

Denver Outlaws
Dalton Young - A - Richmond
Mac Costin - M - Penn St.
Saam Olexo - LSM/D - Syracuse
Eli Fisher - D - Ohio St.
Collin Krieg - G - UNC

Eli Salama was added to the PUP list

Maryland Whipsnakes
Scott Cole - A/M - Lehigh
Grant Haus - SSDM - Penn St.
Will Mark - G - Syracuse

Wheaton Jackoboice was activated from the PUP List as well

New York Atlas
Payton Cormier - A - UVA
Lance Tillman - A/M - UNC
Devon McLane - A/M - Notre Dame
Tucker Garrity - SSDM - Jacksonville
Jake Kapp - D - Richmond

Signed Chris Campbell at defense and added midfielder Brendan Curry to the holdout list

Philadelphia Waterdogs
Alec Stathakis - FO - Denver
AJ Mercurio - LSM/D - Denver

Mikie Schlosser was activated off the IR
Jack Hannah was added to the PUP List

Utah Archers
Jack VanOverbeke - A - High Point
Jacob Morin - M - Army
Justin Wietfeldt - FO - Michigan
Jack DiBenedetto - D - Denver

Signed SSDM Tate Gallagher, Defenseman Nick Cardile, and Goalie Erik Peters
Defenseman Graeme Hossack was added to the holdout list
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Will continue taking a look at the other 5 teams post waiver claims, but just a few notes about the three I've already covered.

The Cannons additions represent the luxury of having a roster with few existing holes. I like the Robinson pickup, especially with Donville now on the PUP list. This is going to be a hard roster to crack offensively, though. With the attack likely to be some combination of Nolting, Holman, and the Kavanaghs, the Cannons will have around 11 players competing for 5-6 gameday spots on the midfield. This depth has allowed Coach Holman to take some fliers in D2 Andrew Cook and MCLA Sterling Hupp. It should be a fun camp competition to watch, and while anyone can earn a roster spot, Robinson, at this stage, feels more like a long-term addition that was made with the Championship Series in mind. Get some familiarity with the team/offense now, have a chance to make the roster, but be ready to go in February. Parlette adds some camp depth at SSDM. I'm mildly surprised that they didn't add another goalie to get some reps with the team (thinking about Ghitelman's eventual retirement). Some more competition at LSM for camp may also have been nice, but their starters are pretty much locked in and I imagine that with such a deep group of poles, players like van Raaphorst and Pulver may continue to get extended looks there instead of close defense.

The Redwoods continued to have an excellent offseason by focusing on defense with their waiver additions. Chase Yager will have a chance to break into the lineup at SSDM alongside IDA and Tevlin, but I was also impressed with Mehrle last year. This is a great add that now solidifies d-mid as a deep position of strength for the Woods. I was a bit worried about California defensively - Cohen, Garlent, and Fake (Grant is on PUP currently) could be a solid group at pole, but I don't think Fake has shown enough consistency yet at the pro level. That can obviously change, but adding Conlin and Morrison will again allow for camp competition and depth. Either could break into the starting lineup, especially if Grant is out for an extended period. The addition of Naso at the faceoff dot is a nice insurace policy for Ierlan, and with Kelly's injury history in net, getting a third goalie in Knote for camp is also a smart move.

The Chaos additions were small, but grabbing Roy Meyer is a steal. He could certainly crack the lineup, but Carolina desperately needed to add some youth at LSM as their current group approaches retirement. Mayea plays a fun brand of lacrosse and should fit right in at camp, while Jack Posey, when healthy, could be a really strong 4th pole option. With Surdick on military leave, adding depth there was a must.

One last quick note: by my math, 6 of the 8 teams are at 30 players (the number they'll need for camp). The Whipsnakes look like they're at 31 and the Atlas look like they're at 29. Things on the PLL website are not always up to date, and so there's always a bit of uncertainty. Zed Williams is trying out for the NFL, but no corresponding move to the Holdout List has been announced. For the Atlas, Curry's move to the Holdout List seems to be what put them under.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Forgot Atlas signed Campbell. They're at 30.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Denver Outlaws

Draft Additions
Brennan O’Neill (A)
Jake Piseno (LSM)
Graham Bundy Jr. (M)
Josh Zawada (A)
Luke Wierman (FO)

Waiver Additions:
Dalton Young (A)
Mac Costin (M)
Saam Olexo (LSM/D)
Eli Fisher (D)
Collin Krieg (G)

Needs & Thoughts:
The Outlaws had easily more roster holes to fill than any other team. Coach Soudan went with a broad approach to his additions and draft strategy, addressing a multitude of positions instead of focusing primarily on the area where the team struggled most last year: offense. That isn’t to say that offense was not addressed in constructive ways, just that the amount of additions for a team with so many needs felt . . underwhelming? To be fair, Soudan’s approach does feel like the better approach for long term success for this team - using draft picks to add competition at the FO dot and at LSM. But I think expectations for this offense this year should be tempered a bit. There are going to be growing pains at the very least for sure. There will certainly be debate about the dual role of lefties Wisnauskas and O’Neill, but the newest #1 draft pick should be on the field as much as possible. Grabbing Zawada with their fourth pick gave them the facilitator they need, but passing on Malone in the second round felt risky. While Farrell was re-signed, Wierman gives him some competition and gives the team a more athletic and less-turnover prone option at the x. Piseno will give them quite an electric boost at LSM, but long-term depth at close defense was not addressed in the draft. They did bring in Eli Fisher for camp, and the Olexo signing gives them a player that is versatile enough to support up top but also help out down low. With Salama on the PUP List, I think both Piseno and Olexo could supplant the existing LSM corps of Hettinger and Grill. In general, Soudan made some solid waiver additions. Young gives them another dynamic offensive player for camp, and Costin will pair nicely with Bundy as productive options at midfield. This offense should look quite different this year, and that’s a great thing for the Outlaws. Looking at this roster, it should be a fun camp battle between Ferrera, Young, Desimone, Gergar, Myers, and Costin for the last 2-3 spots on offense.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Lax Mouse wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:17 pm Denver Outlaws

Draft Additions
Brennan O’Neill (A)
Jake Piseno (LSM)
Graham Bundy Jr. (M)
Josh Zawada (A)
Luke Wierman (FO)

Waiver Additions:
Dalton Young (A)
Mac Costin (M)
Saam Olexo (LSM/D)
Eli Fisher (D)
Collin Krieg (G)

Needs & Thoughts:
The Outlaws had easily more roster holes to fill than any other team. Coach Soudan went with a broad approach to his additions and draft strategy, addressing a multitude of positions instead of focusing primarily on the area where the team struggled most last year: offense. That isn’t to say that offense was not addressed in constructive ways, just that the amount of additions for a team with so many needs felt . . underwhelming? To be fair, Soudan’s approach does feel like the better approach for long term success for this team - using draft picks to add competition at the FO dot and at LSM. But I think expectations for this offense this year should be tempered a bit. There are going to be growing pains at the very least for sure. There will certainly be debate about the dual role of lefties Wisnauskas and O’Neill, but the newest #1 draft pick should be on the field as much as possible. Grabbing Zawada with their fourth pick gave them the facilitator they need, but passing on Malone in the second round felt risky. While Farrell was re-signed, Wierman gives him some competition and gives the team a more athletic and less-turnover prone option at the x. Piseno will give them quite an electric boost at LSM, but long-term depth at close defense was not addressed in the draft. They did bring in Eli Fisher for camp, and the Olexo signing gives them a player that is versatile enough to support up top but also help out down low. With Salama on the PUP List, I think both Piseno and Olexo could supplant the existing LSM corps of Hettinger and Grill. In general, Soudan made some solid waiver additions. Young gives them another dynamic offensive player for camp, and Costin will pair nicely with Bundy as productive options at midfield. This offense should look quite different this year, and that’s a great thing for the Outlaws. Looking at this roster, it should be a fun camp battle between Ferrera, Young, Desimone, Gergar, Myers, and Costin for the last 2-3 spots on offense.
I hope they keep it to 8 teams the talent on each roster is amazing, look at those names trying to make a roster crazy.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 am
lorin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:34 am
I think next year we will get back to normal with the draft, this year if you look at the top 16 drafted you had kids from 2019,2020,2021 classes.
It was truly a loaded draft class. There were some players who went undrafted this year that may have been at least round 2 picks in previous years.
Ageee on both points, and absolutely love the in-depth breakdowns too (so thanks- it’s better than all the other media trying their hand at the same). Is the date set that they cut to 25 man?

On the expansion note- Me personally, I love the super teams, *but*, think of all that talent on the sidelines (as in not rostered). I could easily see 2 more competitive teams in the mix.

Keep the dialogue coming.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Lax Mouse wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:17 pm Denver Outlaws

Draft Additions
Brennan O’Neill (A)
Jake Piseno (LSM)
Graham Bundy Jr. (M)
Josh Zawada (A)
Luke Wierman (FO)

Waiver Additions:
Dalton Young (A)
Mac Costin (M)
Saam Olexo (LSM/D)
Eli Fisher (D)
Collin Krieg (G)

Needs & Thoughts:
Hey Lax Mouse, really enjoy your analyses. Keep 'em coming.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

lorin wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:53 am
I hope they keep it to 8 teams the talent on each roster is amazing, look at those names trying to make a roster crazy.
I definitely agree that the competition for roster spots is good for the league. It creates drama and lots of discussion, which in today's day and age seems like a necessity for a sports league.

I agree also with DeepPocket that I'd personally love to see some more teams (who wouldn't want to see more players get a chance to produce on the field) but I recognize how this approach is what the league needs at the moment.

I read somewhere (I forget if it was an article or a tweet) an interesting perspective about why the league hasn't expanded more yet. I'll try and find it because I don't want to plagiarise it or butcher what it was saying, but the gist was that the league is in a place financially where it can expand, but more teams don't make sense with the touring model (as it's currently set up). 4-5 games in a weekend in a venue is a lot, and it's a lot to ask of fans to get to more than one.

I do think we're getting to a point where the league should consider having two venues in a weekend with the teams split up.

I also will remain an advocate for a semi-touring model: teams play 3 of their 5 home games in their home city, and 2 of their 5 home games in other regional markets (i.e. the Chaos could play 3 games in Charlotte, 1 in Atlanta, and 1 in Richmond, Atlas could do 3 in NYC/LI, 1 in Albany, 1 in Syracuse, etc.). Might be tough with some of the names they've chosen, and I'm not an economist or a sports executive, but I just think that'd be fun and help build local fanbases while also touching other markets.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:02 pm
Hey Lax Mouse, really enjoy your analyses. Keep 'em coming.
Thanks! I'm hoping to get a few more out soon.

In the meantime, InsideLacrosse's Kevin Brown has shared his thoughts on post draft waiver claims: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oves/63429
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Maryland Whipsnakes

Draft Additions
Ajax Zappitello (D)
TJ Malone (A)
Stephen Zupicich (LSM)
Adam Poitras (A/M)

Waiver Additions
Scott Cole - A/M
Grant Haus - SSDM
Will Mark - G

Needs & Thoughts
The Whipsnakes passed on Kavanagh at pick #3 to snag the consensus top defender in the draft. While Kavanagh would have likely been an excellent pickup for the Whips with his distribution skills and propensity for creating turnovers on the ride, Zappitello solidifies their group of close defenders following the trade of Bryce Young. He’ll likely be competing with newly acquired Matt Rees for the 3rd pole position, but he’ll have every chance to crack the lineup early. Zupicich is a caused turnover machine at the LSM position and helps offset the retirement of Ehrhardt (though this will likely be a “replace with the aggregate approach”). The camp battle at LSM for the Whipsnakes should be exciting to watch - the draftee Zupicich, veteran Colin Squires, former first round pick Brett Kennedy, and the raw Elijah Gash coming off the IR. Both Squires and Kennedy, along with the aforementioned Rees, have the versatility to play both close and LSM, though at this point in his professional career Squires has played primarily up top. On offense, passing on Kavanagh is somewhat negated by having TJ Malone fall into their lap in the third round. A versatile player who can score and distribute with equal prowess, he’ll see the field early and often. With Rambo and Williams spending time on the IR and playing banged up over the last few years, and with Manny’s nearing retirement, Malone can be inserted into the starting attack lineup if needed, but can also spend a year or two learning the offense from the midfield before the keys are fully handed over. Poitras was an interesting choice on draft night - not because of a lack of ability - but because of the clear need that the Whipsnakes have at the SSDM position. They were able to pick up Grant Haus from waivers, and while he’ll add much needed depth there, I still feel like they could stand to add another body there for the camp roster. Their current SSDM corps is Haus, Roman Puglise, Jake Bernhardt, and the relatively unproven Grayson Sallade. Poitras and Scott Cole will both add a young and explosive element to this offense that desperately needs some midfield initiation alongside Tucker Dordevic. Adding another goalie in Will Mark was a savvy move. Bernlohr has spent some time injured the last two years and while Krebs has looked good in relief, Coach Stagnitta is likely thinking about finding his goalie of the future. This competition will be a good start.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

New York Atlas

Draft Additions
Connor Shellenberger (A)
Liam Entenmann (G)
Jake Stevens (M)
Tyler Carpenter (LSM)

Waiver Additions
Payton Cormier - A
Lance Tillman - A/M
Devon McLane - A/M
Tucker Garrity - SSDM
Jake Kapp - D
Chris Campbell - D (signed free agent)

Needs & Thoughts
While no team this year had a bad draft (how could you with this draft class?), no team’s draft and waiver moves were more perplexing than the Atlas’. That has less to do with who they added, but rather what type of player they didn’t add. Primarily, the lack of high end attention to the defense is concerning. The lack of moves in that direction indicates that Pressler’s intention is to move Makar back to his natural position at close defense following Tucker Durkin’s retirement. This may certainly work out, but it’s a risk not adding extra insurance at the position. Taking an LSM in Carpenter will add depth up top and in the middle of the field, and that position now seems like a strength with him, Koby Smith, and John Geppert vying for time. But none of those players are really experienced down low. That lack of versatility is concerning with only five close defenders on the camp roster - two of which are new to the team in the rookie Kapp and second year Campbell out of UMass. The starting goalie job is Entenmann’s for the taking, but he’ll be experiencing a much more porous defense in front of him than he ever had at Notre Dame. Post-draft commentary indicates that he would not have lasted to the Atlas’ third pick, so grabbing him at #5 seems like the right call if he was their guy. Both Atlas goalies were below 50% a season ago, but watching the team, their poor seasons seemed more reflective of the defense in front of them than their own ability. The Stevens pick at #10 is solid, but their defensive performance this year will be the judge of whether that was the right pick over Kenny Brower. Stevens will, however, be a great asset. It’ll hopefully take pressure off Costabile, who was asked to play a lot of two-way last year to the detriment of his offensive production. To be fair - Costabile still had a strong year statistically, but his offensive utilization seemed more limited because of what he was asked to do elsewhere. Offensively, the Atlas should be greatly improved with the addition of Shellenberger, an undrafted Cormier, and additions like McLane and Ronan Jacoby (signed earlier this offseason). These additions, plus a whole camp with Myles Jones, will hopefully lead to a more practiced and cohesive offensive unit. Losing Curry to the holdout list hurts, but Pressler has added several players to the midfield that will hopefully take pressure off the attack. Getting Rezanka back and signing Garrity will bolster the SSDM unit, but I may never understand the move to Comizio last year and away from Peter Dearth. This offense, middle of the pack in most statistical categories a year ago, should be significantly improved this year. Shellenberger, Law, Teat, Dickson, Costabile, Jones + a host of capable others will be a dynamic group. With Baptiste winning 75% of faceoffs, this team may be well positioned to win track meets this year - which they may need to do without making significant improvements on the defensive end. It’s very possible that Makar down low and Entenmann in net will lead to improved defensive production - but that’ll be the biggest question for this team going into the season.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Philadelphia Waterdogs

Draft Additions
Matt Brandau (A)
Kenny Brower (D)
Marcus Hudgins (D)
Michael Boehm (A)

Waiver Additions
Alec Stathakis - FO
AJ Mercurio - LSM/D

Needs & Thoughts
The biggest addition for the Waterdogs to keep an eye on this season has not been a player, but rather the stepping down of Head Coach Andy Copeland and the hiring of Bill Tierney as his replacement. How Tierney adjusts to the professional game and utilizes an absolutely loaded roster will be the key factor this season for the Waterdogs. This is a roster with very few holes, and what minor holes there may have been have all been seemingly filled. Tierney brought in his former FO player Alec Stathakis post-draft. Stathakis will be the only FO player on the Waterdogs roster, but they still have a number of players with experiences at the dot after a year in which the Dogs did not use a dedicated faceoff specialist. The Waterdogs had room to bring in some depth both at pole and LSM - and they did that and more by drafting Brower, Hudgins and claiming Mercurio post draft. This is perhaps the most difficult roster to look at and pick out who might not make the 25-man roster post camp. There will be competition all over the roster including LSM (Mazzone, Rees, Sabia, Mercurio), Close Defense (Randall, Gobrecht, Byrnes, Brower, Hudgins) and midfield (too many quality players to mention). This team is deep and is my vote for Preseason #1. Getting both Brandau and Brower in the draft was ridiculous, and while Boehm (similar to Robinson for the Cannons) may have a tough road to getting playing time this season, he’s a great stash for the Championship Series and for the future. FO is still probably the biggest question mark on this roster, but they went 7-3 a year ago without trying to win faceoffs - so they can only get better there. Injuries may be the only thing that slows this team down (Hannah is now on the PUP, McConvey and Schlosser both spent time out last year - but both are now back). Even with those concerns, Tierney has used the offseason to further improve the depth behind the starting corps of players. What’s not to like about this roster? I’d imagine a few other coaches will have an eye on who the Waterdogs let go after camp. Truly, the biggest question is how does Tierney navigate the league and this team. He’s been put in a position to win a Championship in his first year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

2024 PLL cards dropped today. Pretty cool way to support the league, especially if you’ve got kids who enjoy it.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Teams keep getting deeper with talent, some turnover a plus but still be some excellent players not playing because of limits on teams and activations. Waterdogs are loaded indeed and appear to be top team with Cannons close behind though ? them not picking up fogo given rule change, smh that Kav gifted to them. See defending champs Archers taking a step back while Atlas taking a step forward with Shellenberger . Dont envision Whips or Woods hoisting year end trophy but both can compete on weekly basis. Riordan is the constant advantage amid annual chaotic reformulations with restock that displays how abundant league talent is while Outlaws still likely bring up the rear despite clear improvements to offense.

True pro leagues eventually grow .Believe every player brings some following which increases interest and eyes however incrementally, expansion wouldnt dilute as too many good players exist with slim margins amongst the bulk of league. Two competitive squads from talent surplus could easily be added next year. In the meantime, carrying 20 on game rosters might benefit play some at minimal expense. Too many well endowed within lax network not to secure increased funding and marketing.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:44 pm 2024 PLL cards dropped today. Pretty cool way to support the league, especially if you’ve got kids who enjoy it.
I'll admit that I'm not much of a card collector, but they definitely look cool and it seems like a fun way to grow interest and investment in the league!
stupefied wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:16 pm Teams keep getting deeper with talent, some turnover a plus but still be some excellent players not playing because of limits on teams and activations. Waterdogs are loaded indeed and appear to be top team with Cannons close behind though ? them not picking up fogo given rule change, smh that Kav gifted to them. See defending champs Archers taking a step back while Atlas taking a step forward with Shellenberger . Dont envision Whips or Woods hoisting year end trophy but both can compete on weekly basis. Riordan is the constant advantage amid annual chaotic reformulations with restock that displays how abundant league talent is while Outlaws still likely bring up the rear despite clear improvements to offense.
Couldn't agree with this more - I'll release some pre-camp power rankings/thoughts for fun before camp starts but I imagine it'll be pretty aligned with this. Atlas offense should be much improved - I still have significant concerns about their defense until proven otherwise. In fact, I think defense remains the big question mark for a number of teams this year (Archers, Redwoods, Atlas, and, to a lower extent, the Outlaws).

A few other roster moves today:

Atlas released undrafted SSDM Garritty to the player pool to make room for Dox Aitken coming off the holdout list.

Whipsnakes undrafted A/M Scott Cole was placed on the holdout list. They've signed Christian Mule to their camp roster. By my count, they've still got 31 players on their roster and need to trim to 30. I suspect someone currently listed is on some kind of exemption list and it'll be released retroactively, but I have no idea if/when.

Archers released goalie Erik Peters to the player pool and added goalie Liam Brown as a "Special Training Camp Designee Waiver Claim." I have no idea what that means and if/how it differs from a typical waiver claim.

Redwoods released undrafted defenseman Patrick Morrison to the player pool and claimed defenseman Beaudan Szuluk also as a Special Training Camp Designee Waiver Claim. I love this move for them - I think Szuluk did not get nearly as much hype as his play warranted. He's got a real chance to fight for a gameday roster spot with the Woods and brings both physicality and strong communication skills.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Utah Archers

Draft Additions
Mason Woodward (D/LSM)
Beau Pederson (SSDM)
Dyson Williams (A)
Colby Barsz (D)

Waiver Additions
Jack VanOverbeke - A
Jacob Morin - M
Justin Wietfeldt - FO
Jack DiBenedetto - D
Tate Gallagher - SSDM (signed free agent)
Nick Cardile - D - (signed free agent)
Liam Brown - G

Needs & Thoughts
The defending champs enter the season with a veteran offensive core, but questions on the defensive side of the field. Notable departures there include Latrell Harris (injured), Graeme Hossack (holdout list), Matt McMahon (retired), and Jared Conners (traded). While Chris Bates brought in an array of players to bolster the ranks and compete for spots, there’s much to be determined regarding who cracks the lineup and if the additions offset the losses. The Archers should be alright at d-mid. They drafted the clear top SSDM in Pederson during this year’s draft to pair with Piper Bond and Connor Maher, both of whom had excellent rookie seasons a year ago. They signed Tate Gallagher as a body for camp at the position, but he’ll have a chance to crack the 25-man roster for the start of the season. Teams routinely carry 4-5 short sticks and it’s becoming increasingly common to see four on the gameday 19-man roster. There are a lot of new faces and questions at pole. Who flanks Warren Jeffrey at close? Does an experienced team player like Robbins move down low? Will Hossack return for the season? Comments from Coach Bates indicate that they view first round pick Mason Woodward as a close defenseman. Third rounder Colby Barsz will also get extended looks there in camp along with newcomers Jack DiBenedetto and Nick Cardile. Patrick Shoemay returns and, while missing more gameday experience, has spent time with the team at camp before and knows the system. Robbins and Wyers are probably locked in at LSM barring a move to close - it’ll be interesting to see if any of the other defenders signed are given a look there. Ultimately, unless Hossack returns, this unit will be a work in progress with at least two new faces down low that likely have no PLL gameday experience. On the offensive side, the biggest question is the health of the players - many of whom have had bouts with serious and/or nagging injuries over the last two years. It looks like, other than Cole Williams, everyone is listed as healthy for the start of the season. The lack of additions on offense is very telling about Coach Bates’ confidence in the unit, and rightfully so. The Archers have about 10 players that are likely in contention for serious playing time on the offensive end and around 8 spots for them on the gameday roster. They really can’t go wrong with any of them, but I imagine D. Williams, Rogers, Aughavin, and Leclaire will be battling for those last two spots (assuming Fields, Moore, O’Keefe, Schreiber, Ament, and Ambler are healthy and looking good in camp). I could be very wrong, but I imagine a slight regression for them this year as they work in a new defense. Offensively, they’ll have the pieces to still compete, a faceoff guy who can slant the field, and a goalie in Dobson who has proven he can keep his team in games.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Awesome write ups (as always), they’re well written and very insightful.

Anyone had an idea on the PUP and holdout categories? Is there a deadline? Does the roster need to meet the current pace of cuts as though that player is on it? Is there an advantage to using one category over the other?

Here’s some of my random thoughts on the 30 man rosters.

-The idea of Dyson Williams on an Archers attack unit with Mac O’Keefe and Connor Fields is titillating. Don’t know if there is a close unit out their that will contain this grouping.

-I’m excited to see Ronan Jacoby on the Atlas. He had such a great Championship series, he definitely deserved a shot on a summer roster. Koby Smith should be able to help some at close.

-The Cannons, with Mikey Thompson in an assistant role, sporting Max Wayne at D, and newly acquired midfielder Andrew Cook, are starting to look like CNU North. Hope their existing chemistry comes into play for Boston this summer.

-I see Ty Kurtz suiting up for the Chaos as able to offset the lost offensive production from Dhane Smith’s departure. Will they break from their Canadian/Box sets? Not likely by the Kurtz addition.

-The Denver Outlaws made the most of their first overall pick, grabbing Brennan O’Neill, but outside of how he fits offensively, what’s the outlook for the D? Is this Manley’s last year at close? Who would they slot in without him?

-Epple leaving has left some questions on the defensive side for the Redwoods. Ryan Kennedy has experience at close, and is now listed there instead of LSM. The addition of Chase Yager, an excellent shutdown SSDM, should help slow opponents in the middle of the field.

-An embarrassment of riches have been accumulated on the Waterdogs roster. How will the new staff maximize the return on all this potential? Will they continue their defensive focus and identity under new the management?

-For the Whipsnakes, Ajax Zappitello should be able to have an immediate impact at D. My main thought is the attack unit. Rambo sat out the entire NLL year, and spent last summer on and off the injured list in the PLL. Will he be 100%?
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:35 pm Awesome write ups (as always), they’re well written and very insightful.

Anyone had an idea on the PUP and holdout categories? Is there a deadline? Does the roster need to meet the current pace of cuts as though that player is on it? Is there an advantage to using one category over the other?
Unfortunately, the League website is not the most straighforward to navigate when trying to find out what players are on PUP/IR/Holdout or any other exemptions list. On some teams' roster pages, some players are listed as on IR, but not everyone who is. The Whipsnakes page, for example, lists Brad Smith on the IR. It does not, however, show that Matt Rees is also on the IR (I've been counting him on the roster because of this but now we officially know since he was not listed on the training camp roster). You can go to the transactions page on their website and Control+F to search for players and or designations, but the page itself has no search tool. And, of course, there's nowhere on the website where you can see a straighforward list of where some of these players might be. The website explains what each designation list entails, but there's no information about processes, deadlines, or how long players can stay on the holdout list. Players on IR/PUP/HL/Military do not count towards the teams' current roster totals, though.

Dan Arestia's website is probably the most helpful - it has breakdowns by team and also a player pool list. It would be nice, though, if the league itself, who has the most up-to-date information, could share something similar. https://www.sticksinlacrosse.com/

I've put my current notes on who is where below. Things get a little tricky with players on lists whose contracts have maybe expired. I've not included anyone whose contract expired before 2022. Dan's website is helpful but The PLL website would be a better authority on some of these issues if they were able to share.

Boston Cannons
Jonathan Donville (PUP)
Lyle Thompson (Holdout)
Scott Smith (Holdout)
Cade Saustad (Holdout)

California Redwoods
Owen Grant (PUP)
Zach Cole (PUP)
Ryan Lee (PUP)
Ricky Miezan (Holdout)
Cole Kastner (Holdout)
Clarke Petterson (Holdout) - contract expired in '23
Hugh Crance (Holdout) - contract expired in '22
Jack Dolan (Holdout) - contract expired in '22

Carolina Chaos
Chris Cloutier (Holdout)
Dhane Smith (Holdout)
Dylan Hess (Holdout)
Johnny Surdick (Military)
Ryan Smith (Holdout) - contract expired in '23
Kevin Crowley (Holdout) - contract expired in '22
Curtis Dickson (Holdout) - contract expired in '22
Joe Resitarits (Holdout) - contract expired in '22

Denver Outlaws
Eli Salama (PUP)
Brendan Nichtern (Holdout)
Ryan Beville (Holdout) - contract expired in '22
Kyle Gallagher (Holdout) - contract expired in '22

Maryland Whipsnakes
Brad Smith (IR)
Matt Rees (IR)
Scott Cole (Holdout)
James Barclay (Holdout) - contract expired in '23

New York Atlas
Brendan Curry (Holdout)
Stephen Rehfuss (Holdout)

Philadelphia Waterdogs
Jack Hannah (PUP)
Jake Withers (Holdout) - contract expired in '23
Charlie Kitchen (PUP) - contract expired in '23
Michael Kraus (Holdout) - contract expired in '22
Tyler Pace (Holdout) - contract expired in '22

Utah Archers
Latrell Harris (IR)
Cole Williams (IR)
Graeme Hossack (Holdout)
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:35 pm
Great points throughout here!

Regarding the Chaos, Towers has made a few comments about moving away from the Canadian/Box Sets. They still have a ton of players that can thrive in that type of offense, but drafting guys like Knobloch and Dobson support the idea that a shift is coming. What it'll look like - we'll find out soon. In addition to Minicus last year, they've added a number of players this year who'll give their offensive schemes more versatility (Heningburg, Ross Scott, Sergio Perkovic).

Denver's defense should not be a huge issue for them (Giles-Harris, Bernhardt, and Manley are a solid core), but to your point, future depth is an issue as is injury depth. Weyl is capable and experienced and could step in, and Hettinger, Grill, and Olexo all have experience at close. Eli Fisher has looked to be playing short-stick in pictures out of camp. I'm not sure if any of them are the long-term answer once Bernhardt and Manley hang it up.

Good catch about Ryan Kennedy being listed at close for the Redwoods. Holden Garlent and Malik Sparrow join Jared Conners as the three LSMs listed, although everything could be up in the air depending on how camp goes. The Redwoods defense is a big question mark for this season - who joins Cohen? The hope may be that an experienced Kennedy could alongside newcomer Chris Fake, who did not get a ton of playing time last year for the Waterdogs. Chris Conlin may compete for reps once he joins, but my sleeper pick for now is Beaudan Szuluk.

Injury concerns do loom large for the Whipsnakes at attack, but they've cultivated some depth there with Malone, Poitras, and Morrill. All could potentially step in depending on if/who gets hurt.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Lax Mouse wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:37 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:35 pm
Great points throughout here!

Regarding the Chaos, Towers has made a few comments about moving away from the Canadian/Box Sets. They still have a ton of players that can thrive in that type of offense, but drafting guys like Knobloch and Dobson support the idea that a shift is coming. What it'll look like - we'll find out soon. In addition to Minicus last year, they've added a number of players this year who'll give their offensive schemes more versatility (Heningburg, Ross Scott, Sergio Perkovic).

Denver's defense should not be a huge issue for them (Giles-Harris, Bernhardt, and Manley are a solid core), but to your point, future depth is an issue as is injury depth. Weyl is capable and experienced and could step in, and Hettinger, Grill, and Olexo all have experience at close. Eli Fisher has looked to be playing short-stick in pictures out of camp. I'm not sure if any of them are the long-term answer once Bernhardt and Manley hang it up.

Good catch about Ryan Kennedy being listed at close for the Redwoods. Holden Garlent and Malik Sparrow join Jared Conners as the three LSMs listed, although everything could be up in the air depending on how camp goes. The Redwoods defense is a big question mark for this season - who joins Cohen? The hope may be that an experienced Kennedy could alongside newcomer Chris Fake, who did not get a ton of playing time last year for the Waterdogs. Chris Conlin may compete for reps once he joins, but my sleeper pick for now is Beaudan Szuluk.

Injury concerns do loom large for the Whipsnakes at attack, but they've cultivated some depth there with Malone, Poitras, and Morrill. All could potentially step in depending on if/who gets hurt.

Can’t wait for 22 man rosters to come out for this weekend.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”